• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Even if that tweet wasn't about Smash, Lloyd is probably still coming. He could even be the next fighter still, maybe his VA just decided not to talk about that project. It's hard to say

Isaac: Venus Adept

Smash Lord
The voice acting thing can go either way. It could become the Adam Howden situation where his tweets prior were in fact hinting towards Shulk in Smash or the Cristina Vee situation where her secret voice project ended up being for Fortnite after fans assumed it was for Smash. Really hope it's the former

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
View attachment 239194
This was found in a comment section from a youtube video. Brings up some solid points about Lloyd in smash
Very nice catch! I'm even more convinced now, specially since the season 6 stuff was already confirmed therefore thats not the secret he is keeping, and the rest of the stuff he has voiced doesn't seem anywhere near as likely as lloyd in smash or a ToS remake. Crossing fingers it's finally his time

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
https://twitter.com/NotMrNostalgia/status/1177295125854265344

Dont know if this is what scotts tweet was referring too, dont really follow Titans GO! so Im not sure if this is a new episode or not. Seems epic though haha.
I dunno… I doubt he would keep secret something like that, doesn't feel big enough imo to tease it like that, he will be teasing more silly stuff from further episodes if is was the case… which just seems unlikely

Edit: I think he will let us know what the secret was all about on his twitter once it actually happens, whatever it is.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I believe Cristina Vee herself revealed her big role as a new Fortnite character when she was revealed. So he'll probably confirm his big role if either Lloyd gets revealed or that rumored new installment of Arkham Asylum is revealed.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
ok very important question: what kind of costumes would Lloyd get? some likely possibilities imo:

color swaps based on other ToS party members
color swaps based on other Tales protags
alternate costumes based on Lloyd's status costumes in ToS

or we could get any, all, or none of the above

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
ok very important question: what kind of costumes would Lloyd get? some likely possibilities imo:

color swaps based on other ToS party members
color swaps based on other Tales protags
alternate costumes based on Lloyd's status costumes in ToS

or we could get any, all, or none of the above
I mean you nailed down most of the possibilities already, lol.
I could definitely see the team mates color alts (or at least genis, colette, raine and kratos) then some of his status costumes ( I would also love his tales of asteria costume, looks dope as hell, or even an alt colors for Emil from ToS 2).

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
How many dual-wielding characters are there in Super Smash Bros.? Lloyd would still be unique but I think this would be a good angle for his Classic Mode route. His party members are guaranteed Spirits, so what would his Classic route be?

Last edited:

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I really hope Lloyd’s time is soon. I’ll always remember playing as him in super smash flash as my main and always hoping he would get in since the early days of smash 4. Tales of symphonia is my #3 most favorite GameCube game and #5 game of all time and I hope he’s that last fighter for the current pass. Hearing Scott Menville reprise his role would be amazing!!!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Tales of Arise would be the dopest thing ever on Nintendo. But also i wish it was Tales of Symphonia Definitive edition (Like xenoblade chronicles) type of remake… or Lloyd in smash of course. haha

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Got hospitalized for 2 weeks so I hope I didn't miss to much about the Smash actuality.

But even in my hospital room, I got a notification on my phone of a YT video about Scott Menvill's tweet and Lloyd's chance for Smash.

The Lloyd hype follows me everywhere ahah, even out of the emergency room.

Still, if Lloyd gets in and has an english voice, I reaaally hope it's gonna be Scott.

Someone in the thread noticed that Tales of seems to be more popular in France. I don't have any stats to support it, but I admit a lot of gamers I know IRL do know about Tales of, especially about ToS. Fun facts too, they all hate the Brian Beacock voice for ToS DtNW (by the way, avoid the title "Tos2", which is a false advertising responsible for the very bad reputation that spin off had).
Back in the days, I was convinced that everybody hates Beacock's Loyd voice acting, but maybe it's something only true for non native english speaker. I remember seeing comments on YT about how people was shocked by Knuckles french voice, who they described as a cranky old man, where for the frenchs, his voice is somehow fitting and rather sound for us like an angry teenager.

Jedisupersonic

Eight Leaves One Kame Style
NNID
Jedisupersonic
3DS FC
4871-3983-7566
Not sure if I ever posted in here, but hey there. Tales of Symphonia is one of my favorite Tales of games and I'm 100% on board with Lloyd, he'd be super cool to see.

I think he'd fit super easily into smash with how Symphonia in particular played. Plus I see us as ARPG brothers in arms, since i'm running a Adol/Ys thread haha.

Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
the logos do look like they would fit in smash, but with tales of arse on the horizon, that seems like it would be the simpler explanation. i'm cautiously optimistic.

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
Little too late for that .:ultgreninja:

But I do find these trademarks weird though. It could be simply a simple trademark for the "Tales of" name. I mean there's a mobile game called Tales of Wind that has nothing to do with the Tales series at all.
"Tales of" as a name is too vague to trademark, since there's a bunch of works that open with that phrase in their titles. That's why, instead of trademarking "Tales of" they've trademarked "Tales of Series"

The Save icon is much more egregious. That's not the kind of thing you would find in any Tales game, since the icon is never particularly prominent.

Grumbo

Smash Ace
Coming in from the Isaac/Geno boards to throw in my two cents over the logo. I don’t think that its a save icon, I can’t imagine companies trademarking a save icon for a single game, it seems a little too hyper-specific. I think the icon definitely fits the smash style, particularly the newer, more detailed ones such as Persona and Castlevania. Fingers crossed its for Lloyd in smash, though if it is I wouldn’t expect him for character #5. These trademarks and the VA’s announcement of a new project seem a little late for a december/january release.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I was gonna make a mock-up but I already found one on /v/.
1570658208992.jpg

And yeah, it totally fits. That icon totally fits something like Tales, since… well… a book and a quill, that's where you write tales and stuff, it just works for the franchise. I think ppl jumped too quickly on being a save icon.

I can’t imagine companies trademarking a save icon for a single game, it seems a little too hyper-specific.
This, exactly. If they were trademarking every damn symbol for usage in the game I would be like "ok i guess it's for a game" but just one? and specifically for a saving icon? I don't think we ever see something that damn specific being trademarked if it isn't a series logo or something.
––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––

Also, Tales of Arise is already the next new Tales of game… I highly doubt we are getting two new tales games just like that these days. Way back then there was one year (before 2010 sometime) where 2 tales of games came during the same year but that was it, it never happened again, and these days game took way more work to be done for that to happen imo. And I very much doubt it's for a mobile game.

For me it's either:
a) Lloyd in smash and they needed to finally have a series logo and icon
or
b) Tales of Symphonia remake (hopefully, it could be another old game but i would rather it be symphonia of course.)

Last edited:

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
Well, Lloyd definitely has things looking good in his favor.
He's also in my list, so I definitely support.
My smash ultimate dlc fighters 2.png

Last edited:

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
I will say, Lloyd getting in now makes a ton of sense, since Sakuraba is working on Tales of Arise as well. And so Sakurai and Bandai Namco would use this opportunity for Sakuraba to put together some Tales of remixes for smash. Also possible that if Star Ocean or Golden Sun are on the way for smash, they'd come soon after/before Lloyd, so as to make use of Sakuraba being conveniently there.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Yeah I think Lloyd is probably coming soon. I'm not really confident in a lot of characters but I'm pretty sure of Lloyd. Namco hasn't had a second character for a while now, and since Heihachi doesn't seem to work out (I don't know what aspect Sakurai wasn't able to transfer over on him, I haven't played Tekken yet,) Lloyd seems like the natural choice. Everything about timing seems to line up pretty well too, but of course I could be wrong anyways.

Ben Holt

Smash Master
NNID
BenHolt
3DS FC
5455-9637-6959
Switch FC
5283 2130 1160
I think Lloyd is coming after the First Fighter's Pass. Mostly because I think that the last Fighter's Pass character will be a gunner so that we have a variety of Summoner (Joker), Swordfighter (Hero), Platforming Mascot (Banjo), Traditional Brawler (Terry), and Gunner (my money is on Doom Slayer).
But post pass, I feel as if Geno and Lloyd are all but guaranteed based on how much they have going for them.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Yeah I think Lloyd is probably coming soon. I'm not really confident in a lot of characters but I'm pretty sure of Lloyd. Namco hasn't had a second character for a while now, and since Heihachi doesn't seem to work out (I don't know what aspect Sakurai wasn't able to transfer over on him, I haven't played Tekken yet,) Lloyd seems like the natural choice. Everything about timing seems to line up pretty well too, but of course I could be wrong anyways.
It was the Tekken 3D type of combat gimmick that didn't translate well to Smash for Sakurai iirc. He ended being a pacman taunt in Ultimate so yeah I doubt he has any chance cause it seems thats what Sakurai decided to give him as an appearance in this game. His mii costume might come back with Lloyd if anything.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
I think Lloyd is coming after the First Fighter's Pass. Mostly because I think that the last Fighter's Pass character will be a gunner so that we have a variety of Summoner (Joker), Swordfighter (Hero), Platforming Mascot (Banjo), Traditional Brawler (Terry), and Gunner (my money is on Doom Slayer).
But post pass, I feel as if Geno and Lloyd are all but guaranteed based on how much they have going for them.
To be honest I don't think Nintendo cares about variety so much to an extent that they handpicked those characters after naming some archetypes they wanted the fighter pass 5 to stick by. Heck if Nintendo cared about variety at all we would have at least 2 female characters. Obviously we could have kazooie and fighter 5 as female characters but kazooie doesn't count so I wouldn't completely scratch Lloyd off for that sole reason at least

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
To be honest I don't think Nintendo cares about variety so much to an extent that they handpicked those characters after naming some archetypes they wanted the fighter pass 5 to stick by. Heck if Nintendo cared about variety at all we would have at least 2 female characters. Obviously we could have kazooie and fighter 5 as female characters but kazooie doesn't count so I wouldn't completely scratch Lloyd off for that sole reason at least
Indeed, they could care less about patterns or amounts of anything (they probably never did to be honest, all the patterns and rules are mostly coming from fans assumptions as usual) as they keep supporting this game with more dlc for who knows how long now after the more dlc and continous support planned for the game statement. They can't be limiting themselves to such factors, all they want is to please fans as much as they can. Ultimate has a huge disbalance in role types of characters (swordsmen for example are only 21.7% of the whole roster, 16 out of 74 fighters) and yet the game feels very balanced anyway, because more fighters of a certain role doesn't really mean anything in the end as it doesn't really affect the balancing of the game gameplay-wise. Their goal is as simple as trying to please highest demanded fan characters, mixed up with whatever Nintendo and Sakurai have a huge urge to add on their own that at the same time they believe will please fans.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
How many possibilities do you think Lloyd has to enter Smash?

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
How many possibilities do you think Lloyd has to enter Smash?
Depends what you mean by possibilities? Scenario or percentage

Indeed, they could care less about patterns or amounts of anything (they probably never did to be honest, all the patterns and rules are mostly coming from fans assumptions as usual) as they keep supporting this game with more dlc for who knows how long now after the more dlc and continous support planned for the game statement. They can't be limiting themselves to such factors, all they want is to please fans as much as they can. Ultimate has a huge disbalance in role types of characters (swordsmen for example are only 21.7% of the whole roster, 16 out of 74 fighters) and yet the game feels very balanced anyway, because more fighters of a certain role doesn't really mean anything in the end as it doesn't really affect the balancing of the game gameplay-wise. Their goal is as simple as trying to please highest demanded fan characters, mixed up with whatever Nintendo and Sakurai have a huge urge to add on their own that at the same time they believe will please fans.
And as it's proven Nintendo doesn't really care about themes then they'd add Lloyd if he is popular to a general audience or to them

NessAtc.

Fukou Da...
NNID
nintenstar98
3DS FC
4699-7691-7794
Switch FC
SW-2476-6260-3913
was poking around for some Lloyd art, and saw this pose. I had to turn it into a meme

It was just too perfect
And as it's proven Nintendo doesn't really care about themes then they'd add Lloyd if he is popular to a general audience or to them
I'm pretty sure you're new, but it's typically a good idea to not double post here

Desert Croc

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-4757-0799-4282
I’m really loving how much Lloyd’s chances have risen thanks to these new pieces of evidence. The only thing that’s really bugging me is the trademarked logo. It just seems odd to have series in the title when no other logo in the game has that. Even Dragon Quest, which represents multiple entries, uses the DQ11 logo, even in the Hero trailer. If it’s used for a stage that travels through multiple worlds in the series then it would make sense but I don’t see that happening. I just don’t see why they wouldn’t go with the the ToS logo in both the trailer and the stage selection since it’s the game they’re choosing to focus on.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
I’m really loving how much Lloyd’s chances have risen thanks to these new pieces of evidence. The only thing that’s really bugging me is the trademarked logo. It just seems odd to have series in the title when no other logo in the game has that. Even Dragon Quest, which represents multiple entries, uses the DQ11 logo, even in the Hero trailer. If it’s used for a stage that travels through multiple worlds in the series then it would make sense but I don’t see that happening. I just don’t see why they wouldn’t go with the the ToS logo in both the trailer and the stage selection since it’s the game they’re choosing to focus on.
I was thinking that the logo could be used when introducing mii costumes, since I believe if Lloyd got in we'd most likely see some other Tales of games get some kind of representation.

Top Bottom