• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
I should clarify my previous comments.
I’m just playing devils avocet to certain aspects like when he’d release or if he’d be chosen over other Tales characters.

I think Lloyd’s a really good choice for Smash. I He’s up there with the characters I support in fact. Though Vespiria is my favourite Tales game.

I’m just not as certain on Lloyd due to the nature of the series being similar to Final Fantasy and Persona. Being that with so many protagonists, idk if he’d 100% be the Tales rep.
adc55f35966ea45579d70f869ce766ad.png

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
True, I was just thinking how Yuri wins a lot of popularity polls. Or how Arise could be the Persona 5 of the series.
If rex cant get in because his game came out too late for them to pull from, I dont see arise being an issue. Yuri not showing up in smash 4 along with sakurais statement just seems like he's not the play.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
If rex cant get in because his game came out too late for them to pull from, I dont see arise being an issue. Yuri not showing up in smash 4 along with sakurais statement just seems like he's not the play.
That makes sense. Also, the Arise stream being basically nothing proves that's it's still probably a long ways off. The only thing in Yuri's favor is the Switch port of Vesperia. I do wonder if Sakurai would be willing to wait for Arise before adding a Tales character? But again, that seems like a long wait for something that might end up being disappointing.

Yeah, Lloyd does make the most sense for sure. Just wanted some reaffirmation. Though Yuri would be my personal pick, I don't see the point of supporting him if his chances over Lloyd are slim at best. So Lloyd will continue to be the one I support. Like how I support Scorpion over Sub-Zero.

Last edited:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
Sakurai's stated preference for Lloyd is what makes him the pick, if you ask me. Though I certainly wouldn't hate Yuri, I've got enough of a preference for Lloyd that I definitely prefer he be the one that makes the cut.

Last edited:
Also, Lloyd is the face that people are most likely to recognize when they aren't very familiar with the series. When there isn't a recent game with commercial buzz, the most familiar face will probably win out. Lloyd is that face.

I was rooting for Yuri or the total longshot, Ludgar, but with Vesperia HD getting so little fanfare and no rerelease of Xillia 1/2 in sight, their chances have passed.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Interesting...

The timing feels a little too soon to be Lloyd in the Fighters Pass, but it's not impossible especially if he's an extra DLC. Of course, a Teen Titans-related project isn't out of the question either. Worth keeping an eye on.
Yeah for sure this doesn’t mean much but it also doesn’t mean nothing either. I really do hope they get Scott to voice him again

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Interesting...

The timing feels a little too soon to be Lloyd in the Fighters Pass, but it's not impossible especially if he's an extra DLC. Of course, a Teen Titans-related project isn't out of the question either. Worth keeping an eye on.
Voice acting is one of the last things that need to be done right? So it's not impossible if Lloyd gets revealed in November. I'm not sure how long character trailers take to make but it's probably enough time from today to somewhere in November.

Tales's anniversary is December 15th so a late December to early January would make sense for a Tales rep to be released. Especially if my prediction of Terry being released on Wednesday November 6th is true.

Last edited:

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Voice acting is one of the last things that need to be done right? So it's not impossible if Lloyd gets revealed in November. I'm not sure how long character trailers take to make but it's probably enough time from today to somewhere in November.

Tales's anniversary is December 15th so a late December to early January would make sense for a Tales rep to be released. Especially if my prediction of Terry being released on Wednesday November 6th is true.
That's very interesting to know that the franchise anniversary is on the 15th. I know just how big "tales of" is over seas and it's in the big three alongside FF and DQ so seeing the franchise get represented along side those two would be so good and a great way to celebrate the anniversary haha

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
isn't this the VA that stopped answering Smash questions when Ultimate came? I remember someone here listed that as one of the leads/clues/hints of possible Lloyd playable... This definitely is interesting, i hope he does get in smash cause the lack of Tales of ANYTHING content in Smash is just baffling, not even spirits! … altho i wouldnt't also mind this game (ToS) to get a Definitive edition type of remake / visual upgrade like Xenoblade Chronicles will have :smirk:

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
isn't this the VA that stopped answering Smash questions when Ultimate came? I remember someone here listed that as one of the leads/clues/hints of possible Lloyd playable... This definitely is interesting, i hope he does get in smash cause the lack of Tales of ANYTHING content in Smash is just baffling, not even spirits! … altho i wouldnt't also mind this game (ToS) to get a Definitive edition type of remake / visual upgrade like Xenoblade Chronicles will have :smirk:
That was the voice of Lloyd from ToS2 I believe, Brian Beacock

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
That was the voice of Lloyd from ToS2 I believe, Brian Beacock
oh… well… still very suspicious I guess. VAs like to lie a lot about not working on something and then bam, it happens, like Roxas' VA when he straight out said "NO" to being in KH3 lol, NDA goodness… let's hope anything Symphonia actually happens.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Last edited:

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
To help Lloyd Irving get into Smash, simply enter the 16-digit number on the front of your credit card and

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well it's interesting. It would nice to know if Vergeben's source received word on who Character #5 is. Although the source probably doesn't have information on the character yet.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Im more than sure we'll be kept in the dark with any info on fighter 5 until around november if anything.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
https://twitter.com/emceeespio/status/1174847105288065026?s=21

It's probably a new Arkham prequel game. Since he played Batman in Arkham Origins.

To be honest, I think Lloyd could get a new voice actor since Scott Menville hasn't voiced him since 2003.

EDIT: I lied. Turns out he reprised his role as Lloyd in Tales of Symphonia Chronicles. I don't know how much of that is new tho.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Well it's interesting. It would nice to know if Vergeben's source received word on who Character #5 is. Although the source probably doesn't have information on the character yet.
Sad thing about vergeben is that he has become a piggybacker for the whole DLC season, he literally only comes out to piggyback what others leak already.

Im more than sure we'll be kept in the dark with any info on fighter 5 until around november if anything.
yeah these are gonna be some rough months… but whatever happens we still have the next wave of characters too i guess

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm sincerely shocked that more people don't think anything of the swordfighter glitch after the duck hunt one led to Banjo Kazooie. Everyone was on the "glitch theory" train for them, but now that it actually panned out, they've all forgotten there was another character that glitched or something.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I'm sincerely shocked that more people don't think anything of the swordfighter glitch after the duck hunt one led to Banjo Kazooie. Everyone was on the "glitch theory" train for them, but now that it actually panned out, they've all forgotten there was another character that glitched or something.
Wasn't the swordfighter for Hero tho?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Wasn't the swordfighter for Hero tho?
Hero was most likely based on Link. They have the same skeleton, the same sword and shield setup, and even copied moves. It would have made no sense to instead take mii swordfighter, fundamentally change the size and skeleton, give it a shield, and copy over Link's moves, when Link was right there. People thought swordfighter was going to be for Hero back when the datamine made them think it was child Erdrick, but what we got was clearly not based on the miis.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Hero was most likely based on Link. They have the same skeleton, the same sword and shield setup, and even copied moves. It would have made no sense to instead take mii swordfighter, fundamentally change the size and skeleton, give it a shield, and copy over Link's moves, when Link was right there. People thought swordfighter was going to be for Hero back when the datamine made them think it was child Erdrick, but what we got was clearly not based on the miis.
The only real problem with this theory is that Joker was based on Piranha Plant. So bases could basically be anyone. Though they may still base them on characters that fit best, that might not always be the case.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
How many other characters could fit the swordfighter base?

Aside from Lloyd there's also:

Rex
Dragonborn
Saber
2B?

Still, it could be anyone. Though how was it figured out that certain characters were based on others? Identical data?

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
Turns out he reprised his role as Lloyd in Tales of Symphonia Chronicles. I don't know how much of that is new tho.
Specifically, just a few Unison Attacks that were never officially dubbed. It's not really a ton, and the audio mixing is pretty bad.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
I feel like Scott Menville is the Lloyd voice to most people. And if nothing else they'd probably recycle his clips from Symphonia.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I feel like Scott Menville is the Lloyd voice to most people. And if nothing else they'd probably recycle his clips from Symphonia.
Yeah I checked on his wikipedia the list of stuff he has done for videogames and… Tales of Symphonia sounds more like it, cause I doubt we are getting anything from the other games he has voiced that requires him to do voicing once again… I could be wrong tho. But yeah I think ToS would do nice with voicing if it happened to get a definitive edition type of remake or if , of course, Lloyd got in smash.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I made a Smash Playlist for Arle yesterday (or technically today) on Twitter, so this time here's Lloyd!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7fR3H_efm83YyhJCK7W4mjgjOnqvXeKd

Notes: Let me know if I picked the cream of the crop for Abyss/Vesperia/Berseria. I made this with the assumption that they'd get Mii Costumes (Luke, Yuri, Velvet). Assume the stage is the Tower of Salvation, for the reason Mementos was chosen for P5.

Four remixes, nine direct ports from the original game. At least one of the songs is a medley of the three normal battle themes, so it's closer to 13 selectable songs (10 from Symphonia, 3 from other games, victory theme notwithstanding).

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I think it's more likely that Lloyd is going be in Smash more than the same voice actor doing Robin for Teen Titans Season 6. Either way, it's a win win situation no matter how you look at it.

I feel like most people jumped on the "Duck Hunt and Mii sword fighter glitch theory" train was because of the possibility of Duck Hunt being used as a base for fan favorite Banjo & Kazooie. Now that the bear and bird are in, most people care less or don't even think about the theory at all.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I think it's more likely that Lloyd is going be in Smash more than the same voice actor doing Robin for Teen Titans Season 6. Either way, it's a win win situation no matter how you look at it.

I feel like most people jumped on the "Duck Hunt and Mii sword fighter glitch theory" train was because of the possibility of Duck Hunt being used as a base for fan favorite Banjo & Kazooie. Now that the bear and bird are in, most people care less or don't even think about the theory at all.
Yeah, he's hyping this up as some huge deal. I really doubt it's just for more teen titans.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Yeah, he's hyping this up as some huge deal. I really doubt it's just for more teen titans.
I mean, an announcement of Season 6 to the original Teen Titans would be a bigger deal than Lloyd getting into Smash, but I was just saying how unlikely that probably is.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
I made a Smash Playlist for Arle yesterday (or technically today) on Twitter, so this time here's Lloyd!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7fR3H_efm83YyhJCK7W4mjgjOnqvXeKd

Notes: Let me know if I picked the cream of the crop for Abyss/Vesperia/Berseria. I made this with the assumption that they'd get Mii Costumes (Luke, Yuri, Velvet). Assume the stage is the Tower of Salvation, for the reason Mementos was chosen for P5.

Four remixes, nine direct ports from the original game. At least one of the songs is a medley of the three normal battle themes, so it's closer to 13 selectable songs (10 from Symphonia, 3 from other games, victory theme notwithstanding).
This is awesome! Thanks!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I mean, an announcement of Season 6 to the original Teen Titans would be a bigger deal than Lloyd getting into Smash, but I was just saying how unlikely that probably is.
Oh, I didn't know you meant the original. That would actually be awesome! I don't think there's any chance that will ever happen.

FlintIke

Smash Journeyman
Coming from the Isaac Board, I rly hope that it is what I think. Fingers crossed this is about smash since it would not only be amazing for Lloyd but Tales in general, since I REALLY want Tales music (Or Motoi Sakuraba music in general) in Smash.

This reminds me of the shulk situation back in smash 4, where his Voice Actor also made a tweet about a huge project, which he wasn't allowed to announce back then.

So I wish you guys best of luck :)

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Another thing for a Tales rep is that it has a dedicated following in various European countries like France for example. You can notice this by the fact that outside of Japan, it's the European branch that puts out the new trailers for the latest Tales game coming out before the NA branch does. This fits into the region demographic theory if Europe is not included with Banjo(he was created by British developer Rare, but I've mostly seen North Americans request the bear).

Last edited:

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Screenshot_20190921-192727.png

This was found in a comment section from a youtube video. Brings up some solid points about Lloyd in smash

Top Bottom