• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
I can't tell if that's a compliment or if you're just being sarcastic lol!
Ahahah no no it’s 100% genuine! At this point it would just be silly if he doesn’t make it so I totally agree! You know what’s funny? Not going to lie, one of the major reasons I want Lloyd in smash is for the absolute fact how much fan art and new merch he’ll receive. Especially at conventions I go to haha

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I see Lloyd Ryu hayabusa and geno making it Tales is one of the last jrpgs to get in all that's left is Kingdom Heart's Ys And SMT its Lloyd's time

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Obviously the optimal scenario is an outright Symphonia remake/remaster but that's unlikely, so here's a question.

Would you rather Tales of Symphonia HD on Switch for $59.99 with Dawn of the New World sold separately, or Nintendo GameCube Online with ToS showing up on either the base roster or as part of the future lineup for $20 with a bunch of other games? (The game consists of both discs and adds a "Swap Disc" feature for it.) Both versions are 4 player compatible, but ToS HD is local only while ToS NGCO has online/friends only.

Personally, 60FPS trumps the extra content of the rest of the game for me. I'd take the latter.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
obviously optimal scenario is ToS HD with 60fps and other problem fixes but yeah i'd rather just have the GCN version in that situation

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
obviously optimal scenario is ToS HD with 60fps and other problem fixes but yeah i'd rather just have the GCN version in that situation
After seeing Xenoblade Chronicles being remade on the X2 engine I would melt if ToS got remade too in a more modern style. The next Tales of game already looks insanely good

andree123

Smash Ace
Can I just say that I would absolutely LOVE if we got Japan's Top 5 requested characters? Also, I love that Sora is either 1st or 2nd for every territory.
View attachment 237530

I'm pretty sure they'd be fine with it..I mean, Sora is a character that has only appeared in three things: Video Games, his primary source, and then manga and novel adaptions of those video games. If he's not considered a video game character simply due to interacting with cartoon and movie characters then I'd be surprised and in complete disagreement.
They could also keep the Hidden Mickey keychain on the Kingdom Key since its not a character but rather an icon..but they could also change out the Keyblade for a different one if they wanted to.
Yay, Lloyd is #1 in the Japanese top 10!

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Yay, Lloyd is #1 in the Japanese top 10!
I have to say that even without Lloyd, the Japanese list is a much better choice for DLC IMO. It's also amusing as that list has no characters as spirits already.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Sora and Lloyd hell yeah! Glad to see this in Japan specially because those are the first to be heard with games like this one being made there. There's still hope also and the lack of Tales of content overall in Smash will forever baffle me, there's gotta be something coming from Namco eventually anyway.

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Well if Mii Costume Pack #4 comes and still no Mii Costume from Lloyd then something is up for sure.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Yeah seeing Lloyd hit the number 1 spot really makes my hype meter hit maximum. I promise you I will legit have tears if he gets in the game, a friend of mine had a similar reaction when joker dropped and wow, I just really hope this kind of demand is being heard!

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Yeah seeing Lloyd hit the number 1 spot really makes my hype meter hit maximum. I promise you I will legit have tears if he gets in the game, a friend of mine had a similar reaction when joker dropped and wow, I just really hope this kind of demand is being heard!
Unfortunately, that's an incredibly small sample size. and has many issues according to PushDustin. Also, the person who did the tallies combined all the Tales characters results into Lloyd's for some reason.

Not to say he can't get in, but that's what happened.

Ypsen

Smash Apprentice
Well well... That was an interesting direct to say the least. I guess it's time for me to update my opinion about Lloyd's chance.

So basicaly, for marketing reasons and the very bad momentum that Lloyd seemed to have (courtesy of ToArise not making on to Swicth), I was convinced that his chances was very low. For me theses facts are more pragmatic than every comments and theory that we can see about Lloyd which can oddly be found in other threads/forums supporting other characters.

But one of Sakurai's comment catched my attention : his funny statement about how Players should play Banjo&Kazooie on Xbox System.

In regards of Sakurai's last interventions about the risk and rentability of DLCs, it was easy to assume thet every DLC of the Fighter Pass was several promotions and marketing moves for incoming Switch games.
The only discrepancy was Banjo, which wasn't followed by any annoucement for a Switch game.

Until now, I was pretty sure that a revival would be announced soon, confirming that the Fighter pass would bring exclusively marketing choices.

But there's no way Sakurai would be allowed to encourage people to play Banjo games on Xbox if Nintendo was planning to port/remake the game on their own system.

So now that I have the confirmation that DLC are not exclusively chosen to promote an incoming game, and that we are sure we'll get more DLC, I think it's not delusional to say that Lloyd has now a decent chance to be included.

There's still a huge competition and no strong enough reason for Sakurai to favor Lloyd other than the others high demanded characters. And there's still a good probability that the majority of the next DLCs are marketing choices. So... fingers crossed. Let's hope our boy will be the chosen one !

Oh, and by the way, this twitter poll is completely fudged. The author made huge appromixations, mixed comments of several regions, also mixed characters to chose only one to represent a licence... and most importantly, the number of comments he gathered is really low (For exemple, Gundam is ranked 7th but only got two comments of support).

Last edited:

Midget Master

Smash Apprentice
I think Lloyd is probably a top 2 character in terms of chances to make it into post-Fighter's Pass DLC and I don't think that it would even be impossible for him to be fifth on the pass. Geno's costume being missing for as long as it has been has gotten people hyped about him, and I feel like it's a very similar argument that supports Lloyd. Especially him being a character Sakurai has specifically talked about - I feel like those kinds of characters are very much on the mind of the team. So I'm really expecting him to make it, and probably sooner than later.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
I think Lloyd is probably a top 2 character in terms of chances to make it into post-Fighter's Pass DLC and I don't think that it would even be impossible for him to be fifth on the pass. Geno's costume being missing for as long as it has been has gotten people hyped about him, and I feel like it's a very similar argument that supports Lloyd. Especially him being a character Sakurai has specifically talked about - I feel like those kinds of characters are very much on the mind of the team. So I'm really expecting him to make it, and probably sooner than later.
Totally agree, i think at this point. A lot of people will probably be surprised if he didn’t make it in. Tales of is the last of the big three JRPGs from over seas and it just feel like now is the perfect time

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
hey so i'm new to this thread so i apologize if this has been brought up before, but what kind of stage do you think lloyd would have?

i think some kind of traveling stage that can go back and forth between sylvarant and tethe'alla would be neat, but maybe also some iconic locations like the tower of salvation or something.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
hey so i'm new to this thread so i apologize if this has been brought up before, but what kind of stage do you think lloyd would have?

i think some kind of traveling stage that can go back and forth between sylvarant and tethe'alla would be neat, but maybe also some iconic locations like the tower of salvation or something.
I always thought tower of salvation was the way to go but maybe that’s just me.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
You know, if they made a stage where you could jump on the back of rheairds and it'd fly around the world of sylvarant and then to teth'ella that'd be super cool.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
I think Lloyd has a pretty good shot honestly, his franchise is probably one of the biggest RPGs not represented in Smash and in Japan it's a household name, and on top of that Sakurai has already said that if we were to get a Tales character, it'd be Lloyd.

Considering that we just got Terry and Sakurai said he had a hard time coming up with a coherent moveset for Heihachi, I strongly believe if we were to get another Namco character in Smash, it would be Lloyd, he'd also help represent modern Namco to contrast with :ultpacman: who represents classic Namco, it's a great contrast!

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I still fully expect Lloyd as Challenger Pack # 5.
I can't see that being a Game Awards Reveal which I fully expect to happen. Lloyd is Challenger Pack #2 or #3. Depends if he comes before or after Heihachi. Though honestly, I would expect Heihachi to come first. To complete the Fighting Game Trio.

Also, I have a question, what if Lloyd isn't added for a long time, but Tales of Arise releases and like a year after, one of the protagonist Alphen or Shionne gets added to Smash instead of Lloyd? What would your thoughts be?

Last edited:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I can't see that being a Game Awards Reveal which I fully expect to happen. Lloyd is Challenger Pack #2 or #3. Depends if he comes before or after Heihachi. Though honestly, I would expect Heihachi to come first. To complete the Fighting Game Trio.

Also, I have a question, what if Lloyd isn't added for a long time, but Tales of Arise releases and like a year after, one of the protagonist Alphen or Shionne gets added to Smash instead of Lloyd? What would your thoughts be?
Wow, that's a lot of assumptions in one post.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Wow, that's a lot of assumptions in one post.
The last paragraph is a what-if scenario. What if Tales of Arise comes out, is super critically acclaimed in a similar vein to Persona 5 or DQ11, and they add Alphen or Shinonne instead? How would Lloyd fans feel about that?

And on the other point, I feel super strongly about a Game Awards reveal happening. It just seems like something that's going to keep happening as long as Smash DLC continues.

Also, you made the assumption that Lloyd is #5. If you can do, then I can do it too.

Last edited:

GameWatching

Smash Ace
The last paragraph is a what-if scenario. What if Tales of Arise comes out, is super critically acclaimed in a similar vein to Persona 5 or DQ11, and they add Alphen or Shinonne instead? How would Lloyd fans feel about that?

And on the other point, I feel super strongly about a Game Awards reveal happening. It just seems like something that's going to keep happening as long as Smash DLC continues.

Also, you made the assumption that Lloyd is #5. If you can do, then I can do it too.
I would be upset.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

The VGAs were clearly an exception because Nintendo wanted a character revealed for the pass before the release of Ultimate to entice players to buy the pass. It's more plausible that there will be a dedicated 15-20 Smash Direct before Terry's release with Terry's moveset breakdown and reveal of Challenger 5.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
The VGAs were clearly an exception because Nintendo wanted a character revealed for the pass before the release of Ultimate to entice players to buy the pass. It's more plausible that there will be a dedicated 15-20 Smash Direct before Terry's release with Terry's moveset breakdown and reveal of Challenger 5.
Considering what Sakurai has said about the budget, I highly doubt there'd be a dedicated Smash Direct.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895

You understand this is a Lloyd support thread right? Lol

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
You understand this is a Lloyd support thread right? Lol
Technically this is the Lloyd Irving Discussion Thread, meaning people can be as positive or negative about his chances as they want, as long as its not insulting (from what I understand). I only point this out because the Geno thread has had this argument before.

Honestly, if Alphen was on the next fighter pass I would be pretty annoyed, as my policy has been that a third party character's game should at least be out for a year or so before added. I think this because third party characters are much different from first party characters, as they represent the series as a whole and every third party game only gets one unique rep. If the game was as good as the Tales "Trinity" of games, then I would probably be ok after it, assuming it eventually gets a port or it really is considered the best game immediately by the community.
On another note, I don't think Heihachi needs to come before Lloyd, as its very possible nothing has changed from smash 4 and Sakurai really can't think of a good moveset for Heihachi. I personally am a bit suspicious as you would think if Sakurai was going to add a fighting game character, he would have added Heihachi this pass, who honestly comes from a MUCH bigger game then Terry and would have generated more hype. Nothing against Terry (personally he looks cool), but I think most SNK fans would agree Tekken is a much bigger game. That's just my take though. On the same note, if Lloyd was added to the game, the big 4 JRPGs would be able to battle it out, which I think would be really exciting.

Also since people are weighing in opinions, I personally think we will get fighter pass #5 in a smash direct in November with Terry and the next character for either fighter pass 2 or individual DLC at the game awards. Just a gut feeling. Also, Smash directs aren't actually that complex to do compared to trailers for example, so I doubt that being low on money would affect this. Worse case scenario, the direct could be exactly like the Banjo show case, only with two extra section (fighter pass #5 and direction of next DLC).

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
And the VGAs are rapid fire as well(unless your Sonicfox). If the next fighters are part of a second pass, then it'd better for the pass to be revealed in a Nintendo or Smash direct alongside character #5 as to not waste time at the VGAs.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Can we really assume that there will be another Smash reveal at the VGAs this year? Didn't we do this a few years ago and nothing happened? Maybe there will be a Direct earlier in November or later on in December where we'll see #5 (who I'm still confident is Lloyd.) I don't think there has to be a VGA reveal...

Can we really assume that there will be another Smash reveal at the VGAs this year? Didn't we do this a few years ago and nothing happened? Maybe there will be a Direct earlier in November or later on in December where we'll see #5 (who I'm still confident is Lloyd.) I don't think there has to be a VGA reveal...
Not really. People tend to assume Nintendo will announce something at every event. More often then not, nothing happens. If they do decide to reveal something, we could get a trailer for something like Bayonetta. I don't personally think anything Smash related will happen, and I don't think we'll get two consecutive reveals for RPG characters as DLC for the same game at the same event two years in a row. I'm also not confident in the idea of getting a fighters pass with three RPG characters in it. Anything could happen, but I'm skeptical.

Lloyd has a good shot, but I feel like he has a better chance after the pass for the sake of variety within it. And we may not get a specific announcement for any DLC after the pass until the pass has been completed.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101

First off, I made no assumptions. I said I expect him, not that he is in. Big difference.

Second, you made no indication it was a what if scenario.

"Lloyd is Challenger Pack 2 or 3" assumes that 1. Lloyd is in 2. He's not first, fourth, or fifth, and 3. The extra dlc is a fighter pass and not miscellaneous dlc.

"Depends on if he comes before or after Heihachi" assumes that Heihachi is in as well.

"To complete the fighting game trio" is less of an assumption and more of an incorrect implication I suppose, but Terry and Fatal Fury/KoF are in no way on the level of Street Fighter and Tekken. It's not even close to a "fighting game trio", especially when Soul Calibur is far more prominent than Fatal Fury/KoF anyway.

If you present your opinions using definitive words like "will" and "are" people will take it as a statement of fact hence assumptions.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Yeah it was a bit of a disappointment. Oh well, at least we got something? I just want Crestoria to get a release date already. A tales mobile game with turn based stuff sounds like a fun little time waster. Kinda wish it was on switch at least.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I should clarify my previous comments.
I’m just playing devils avocet to certain aspects like when he’d release or if he’d be chosen over other Tales characters.

I think Lloyd’s a really good choice for Smash. I He’s up there with the characters I support in fact. Though Vespiria is my favourite Tales game.

I’m just not as certain on Lloyd due to the nature of the series being similar to Final Fantasy and Persona. Being that with so many protagonists, idk if he’d 100% be the Tales rep.

Top Bottom