• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

andree123

Smash Ace
Nice! xD

I don't know what those SKUs could be though I found this last night, which mentioned a Symphonia rerelease. As with all "leaks" it with a grain of salt, of course.
I read the OP of this thread until it said Dragonborn as a fighter.
Personally, I think this is fake.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
I read the OP of this thread until it said Dragonborn as a fighter.
Personally, I think this is fake.
That's how I found the post, was googling around for discussions and stuff for him. Dragonborn's more likely than you think but there are a lot of likely competitors as well. Out of all the post's statements if anything I think the concept of an Overwatch port is kinda what tips this into fake territory. The OW devs were pretty adamant about not putting the game on Switch from what I remember, though Nintendo did work with Blizzard on the Diablo port. Still, thought this'd be of interest to you guys since it mentioned a Symphonia remaster, which could be great for Lloyd's chances.

Last edited:

Munchi

Smash Journeyman
Exactly! It would be like if someone came up to me and told me "Hey dude Krystal is never getting into Smash Bros., but she is in Smash Flash 2 so that's your only option if you want to play as her." I would be like no dammint! I want her in the real Smash.
I have seen that same opinion for several of the characters that are in SSF2

GameWatching

Smash Ace
What are Lloyd's chances now that the 4th DLC is practically confirmed to be an SNK rep ? Would Nintendo deem Lloyd important enough to have him be the last fighter of the pass ?

Flyboy

Smash Hero
What are Lloyd's chances now that the 4th DLC is practically confirmed to be an SNK rep ? Would Nintendo deem Lloyd important enough to have him be the last fighter of the pass ?
An old Japanese rumor that heard of SNK and Nakoruru specifically claims that they heard Velvet Crowe and Resident Evil as names thrown around for a fifth pass. Another Japanese account that said the next character would be a "female with flying weapon" and that the fifth character would be from a company that has "already appeared".

Tales is looking good.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't know... We still got that Mii Sword Fighter who crashed All Star Smash with Duck Hunt during 3.0 to give Lloyd some credibility of possibly still happening.

It's rumored that both of them crashed the game because they were being used as bases for newcomers in the Season Pass. Duck Hunt being used as a base for Banjo & Kazooie which, isn't too far fetched as they appeared in their trailer and there is literally no other animal duo that they could really use Duck Hunt as a base off of besides Banjo & Kazooie. Sigran101 Sigran101 has a theory that Mii Sword Fighter is being used as a base for Lloyd and I believe that.

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Calling it now, the SNK rep for the FighterZ Pass in Smash is gonna be either Nakoruru or her bloodthirsty alter-ego, Rera.
I know nothing about SNK but if Rera is Nakoruru's alter-ego, than couldn't Rera just be her Echo Fighter? I mean if they have the same moveset which, I don't know, they could do that. But than again, I forgot we won't be getting any Echos in the Pass. :facepalm:

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
No Lloyd costume, no bamco costumes in general. it's looking good boys and girls

andree123

Smash Ace
Reminder....
To get the first 7 DLC fighters in the WOL, you have to awaken 70 fighters.
The rest has to be unlocked in a different way.
EDIT: This is a prediction, I forgot to put that in.
We need to focus on that, if the fighters after challenger #5 are only going to be upgraded from spirits and/or assists.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Doesn't mean that it's guaranteed to be Lloyd.
His Mii costume hasn't come back, Heihaichi is already part of one of Pac-Man's taunts, and every other character that was a Mii costume in Smash 4 is either playable characters, Assist Trophies, or Spirits in Ultimate and Lloyd isn't anywhere to be seen.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
His Mii costume hasn't come back, Heihaichi is already part of one of Pac-Man's taunts, and every other character that was a Mii costume in Smash 4 is either playable characters, Assist Trophies, or Spirits in Ultimate and Lloyd isn't anywhere to be seen.
Neither is Heihachi's mii costume. Furthermore, Heihachi's also in Pac Man's taunt yet it's stopping nobody from speculating him. For all we know the two costumes could come with a different Namco newcomer, you really shouldn't lock characters.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Neither is Heihachi's mii costume. Furthermore, Heihachi's also in Pac Man's taunt yet it's stopping nobody from speculating him. For all we know the two costumes could come with a different Namco newcomer, you really shouldn't lock characters.
Well everyone else is locking Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, or Crash Bandicoot. Speculation isn't fun when you can't have your own opinion on what's going to happen.

DrifloonEmpire

Smash Champion
Well everyone else is locking Doom Slayer, Ryu Hayabusa, or Crash Bandicoot. Speculation isn't fun when you can't have your own opinion on what's going to happen.
I know the feeling, all of my most wanted aside from Crash are opinion blocked by "locked" characters.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Lloyd is totally inevitable, I really dont see how he doesn't make it in now. Sucks we might have to wait longer but with Tales of having 0 representation and for how big it is. No way he's not happening now.

frozolloyd

Smash Apprentice
Although I'm not as confident as a lot of you, I agree with the sentiment going around the thread Lloyd is in a great place. Assuming he isn't DLC #5 and no mii costumes come forward deconfirming him, Lloyd benefits a lot being part of a second challenge pack.
a. He no longer would be the third JRPG character in a 5 character challenging pack. Even though that may not have affected his chance for this challenger pack, it also may have. And to add to that, the only, and I use this ironically, "anime swordmen" left is probably Chrono (who Square probably wouldn't use over their more marketable characters) and Sora.
b. If the voice actor quote from earlier is not him lying, it would make sense he wouldn't know about Lloyd being in the game if Sakurai picked Lloyd for the second pass. Some one pointed this out, but voice actors are usually the last people to be informed and he definitely wouldn't be under NDA yet if Lloyd was part of challenger pack 2 and wasn't even being developed yet.
c. Even if we ignore Bandai Namco making the game, Bandai is the biggest company other than Capcom to not get a new character (not counting echoes). With franchises like Tales, Tekken, Soul Caliber and Dark Souls, I find it hard to believe Sakurai wouldn't at least pick one to pay back all the hard work they have done thus far.
d. With Yuri seemingly ignored this fighter pass, if Sakurai still views Lloyd as the definitive Tales rep, he would probably chose Lloyd if no new Tales ports happen. The fact he picked Terry and Banjo over characters that have been in more recent games shows he doesn't care about how old a character is, only their iconicness in their series.
All in all, I'm feeling pretty good after today. My only question, which will be answered in a few months probably, is will the DLC be a season 2 fighter pass, or will it be packs sold seperatly, like in smash 4.

Last edited:

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
If I was going to take a guess I'd say we'd get 10 more characters after this next one. Getting us to 90 characters total.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
I really do think at this point Lloyd's best bet is after the fighters pass him and Sora

Last edited:

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
I really do think at this point Lloyd's best bet is after the fighters pass him and Sora
Yeah having the option of more characters just makes alot of other characters seem more viable now. I just really hope our boy makes it in!

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Do we think Lloyd still has a chance at this 5th spot or are we banking on Future DLC?

andree123

Smash Ace
Do we think Lloyd still has a chance at this 5th spot or are we banking on Future DLC?
I do think that he'll be the 5th one, but I'm not sure if this debunks Milk-BOSATU's claim about a playable female character or we get both of them (EX: Lloyd and Colette) even though I think that this sounds like a low chance to you guys.

ZeroJanitor

Smash Ace
Slippi.gg
ZJ#732
NNID
ZeroJanitor
Switch FC
SW-3025-9002-7252
hey so i havent been in this thread before but i support lloyd irving for smash! having him in the game would be really cool, especially if his moveset is reminiscent of ToS's battle system, and there's plenty of good music options!

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Imo Lloyd is the most likely contender for #5. The Mii swordfighter thing still gets me, and he's one of the last big traditional third party requests. I think he'll be announced in November alongside Terry's release with Bamco costumes in tow. My personal Tales choice would be Velvet Crowe, but Lloyd is inevitable.

Even if he isn't #5, I still think he has a good shot afterward. Tales of is probably the biggest jrpg franchise not in Smash at this point, from what I can tell. If the developers want to keep expanding the scope of the roster, Lloyd's not a bad pick.

Other Tales of characters have probably missed their opportunity at this point, though. Yuri somewhat relied on the Vesperia remake and Velvet's game was a few years ago, so a more recognizable face outside the fanbase might be a stronger pick.

DogManStar

Smash Ace
Maybe this is just wishful thinking but I have a really good feeling that Lloyd will be #5. Something just feels right about it.

Top Bottom