• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

GameWatching

Smash Ace
Fanart from a user in 4chan for those who are hoping that Mii Swordfighter century smash theory save data glitch turns out to be a highly true leak for Lloyd just like how speculation on Banjo leaked by Duck Hunt's century smash save data glitch being highly true.
I hope this theory turns out to be true but what about DQ Hero ?

Last edited:

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, what’s this mii glitch data theory that people are talking about? Sounds interesting

D

Deleted member

You remember that glitch with Phirana plant where if you played All-Star mode with it, it could corrupt your SD Card if it was a counterfeit one? Well, Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt supposedly have a similar glitch, and due to some of Bowser Jr’s animations being found in PP’s, it led to a theory that other DLC chars may have been developed with a base game char as a basis (Mii Swordfighter with Lloyd and Duck Hunt for Banjo-Kazooie).

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
You remember that glitch with Phirana plant where if you played All-Star mode with it, it could corrupt your SD Card if it was a counterfeit one? Well, Mii Swordfighter and Duck Hunt supposedly have a similar glitch, and due to some of Bowser Jr’s animations being found in PP’s, it led to a theory that other DLC chars may have been developed with a base game char as a basis (Mii Swordfighter with Lloyd and Duck Hunt for Banjo-Kazooie).
That’s interesting, I always thought it was a red herring as Lloyd’s potential move set is basically in game already in the form of mii sword fighter. Here’s hoping that it holds true

Last edited:

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Does anyone have a counter argument to this? I was discussing century smash theory with some friends in a discord and this was something a User named "ThatoneMartini" brought up.

"To basically put it, while I think the theory is interesting, how the game works is completely different to how the save data glitch is perceived. First point of contention is this glitch only works on faulty SD Cards. So it's basically hard to fully replicate. Second point is, each individual character has their own Fighter ID. Yes, one might borrow assets from another fighter, however that's meaningless to the game overall. As if it sees the fighters unique ID... it loads the files into RAM and that's it. It doesn't know borrowed assets from new assets all the same. They're just... data. "

andree123

Smash Ace
For reference, there's this tweet he made.

And then he later posted a tweet showing examples of what he meant - a boomerang and a Hammer Bro hammer.][/spoiler]

That could be a fan, a spear, a shuriken...
This tweet is from a Japanese user who said that the DQ hero is not having female alts said that the "projectile throwing female that looks it come from a fighting game" is in the fighters pass, these lines ("projectile throwing", "female", and "looks like a fighting game character") fits in Colette very well as a playable (she actually throws projectiles in Tales of Symphonia), and seeing as Lloyd was one of the potential leaked fighters on speculation of the Mii Swordfighter Century smash leaking a fighter, I think that we're getting both Lloyd and Colette as a duo functioning like the cut Dixie and Diddy duo for Brawl ("I have a question, does anyone know that Symphonia had a feature where you switch characters on battle?"), but I don't care if the "projectile throwing female that looks it come from a fighting game" isn't Colette or "projectile throwing female that looks it come from a fighting game" doesn't exist at all in smash ultimate.

Edit: Shout out to Papagenos for mentioning my prediction and similar ones like that!
Also, this prediction greatly fits in with the companion theory.
multiple entities.png

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I was thinking what characters were big on the Brawl speculation that haven't gotten in as characters or otherwise and besides Sora, Lloyd is the one that comes to mind.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
If the fall Nintendo Direct is when DLC #4 happens and it's Lloyd, hopefully we'll see the unlocalized Tales revealed in a compilation as well in the same direct.

Mudkip97

Smash Apprentice
Hey any news about the guy PolarPanda said leaked Lloyd but wasn't sure about if it was credible or not?

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Apparently BrawlBRSTMs3 X-channel had just held a livestream of ToS, titled "Lloyd for Smash" in their channel. Plenty sweet enthusiasm from currently neutered music channel of extended tunes.

On that end, I'm still looking to bring the content and ideas from my former Lloyd-support thread to this one. Any room to add them to your OP blueneuronDOTnet blueneuronDOTnet ?

Huh, I see he hasn't been around since December. Wonder what happened to him? :025:

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I'm not a tales of fan; but would you say that the series has a stand out soundtrack? I noticed they are heavily focused on the music aspect in terms of DLC, and that may give Lloyd an advantage in this race.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I'm not a tales of fan; but would you say that the series has a stand out soundtrack? I noticed they are heavily focused on the music aspect in terms of DLC, and that may give Lloyd an advantage in this race.
If we get Lloyd, we are talking about no other than Motoi Sakuraba, who has done amazing music for Tales of Symphonia, Vesperia and other Tales of games, and other games such as Golden Sun, Dark souls even to some point… The music aspect for this one is definitely the one to least have worries about, honestly. For Ultimate, Motoi has already done: How to Play, Vs Parasite Queen, Magicant, Fourside, Wood Man Stage. So he is quite involved already.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
If we get Lloyd, we are talking about no other than Motoi Sakuraba, who has done amazing music for Tales of Symphonia, Vesperia and other Tales of games, and other games such as Golden Sun, Dark souls even to some point… The music aspect for this one is definitely the one to least have worries about, honestly. For Ultimate, Motoi has already done: How to Play, Vs Parasite Queen, Magicant, Fourside, Wood Man Stage. So he is quite involved already.
Great Info!

zferolie

Smash Hero
Hmm i live the tales of games. I have been pushing for Velvet as she wouldnt be just another "anime sword fighter" trolls like to counter with. Lloyd is a cool character but i always wondered what he would bring uniquely to the series other sword users have, other then just duel swords.

This idea of Collette working qith lloyd is a cool idea, and something i have wanted for awhile, though qith Donbe and hikari. Would lloyd and collette seap whos in front to change their fighting style?

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Hmm i live the tales of games. I have been pushing for Velvet as she wouldnt be just another "anime sword fighter" trolls like to counter with. Lloyd is a cool character but i always wondered what he would bring uniquely to the series other sword users have, other then just duel swords.

This idea of Collette working qith lloyd is a cool idea, and something i have wanted for awhile, though qith Donbe and hikari. Would lloyd and collette seap whos in front to change their fighting style?
honestly after seeing the sub menu for the dragon quest hero. Lloyd alone with the TP system would be way more interesting then a duo character with collette. Basic attacks building TP and making special moves more devistating sounds way better and more complete of a character

zferolie

Smash Hero
honestly after seeing the sub menu for the dragon quest hero. Lloyd alone with the TP system would be way more interesting then a duo character with collette. Basic attacks building TP and making special moves more devistating sounds way better and more complete of a character
Then one could argue its just a copy/ mix of cloud and hero

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I don't believe in the whole companion theory but If I could choose for a partner with Lloyd I would much prefer my pancake boi Genis over Colette… Altho I guess I could see Lloyd's final smash be a group ouji with Genis, Colette and Raine and that could still include one of them alongside Lloyd in the banner artwork in the end anyway.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
Could anyone come up with a good 11 music tracks to include with Lloyd? After watching jokers reveal again I figured that’s about how much he’d need but I can think only of a good 5 or so.

Or do you think that they’ll incorporate songs from other tales games similar to what they did with joker?

Edit: a thought

Last edited:

Hadokeyblade

Smash Legend
Could anyone come up with a good 11 music tracks to include with Lloyd? After watching jokers reveal again I figured that’s about how much he’d need but I can think only of a good 5 or so.

Or do you think that they’ll incorporate songs from other tales games similar to what they did with joker?

Edit: a thought
We'd have to include the Vesperia battle songs, those were awesome.

TheTommynator

Smash Rookie
A user named ZeroZW on Twitter made a point that DQ VIII Hero dual wielding with a beam sword is reminiscent of Lloyd with his Material Blades. The colors, while not not exact, mirror them pretty well.

The look of the poison floor also reminded me of Derris-Kharlan.

Could just be an over-analysis, but it's still fun to point out possible hints.

andree123

Smash Ace
A user named ZeroZW on Twitter made a point that DQ VIII Hero dual wielding with a beam sword is reminiscent of Lloyd with his Material Blades. The colors, while not not exact, mirror them pretty well.

Its kinda strange that :ultcloud: appears 3 times in :ultjoker:'s trailer which may had foreshadowed :ulthero: in smash and :ultpacman: also appears 3 times in :ultbanjokazooie:'s trailer (including the white :ultdk: scene) which could had foreshadowed a playable Namco character.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112

I think it's just a coincidence. It's like that pre-launch picture somehow hinting Isaac is in when it didn't.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
I have a question, does anyone know that Symphonia had a feature where you switch characters on battle?
I knew. I never used it, 'cause I wasn't proficient with every character AND aware of the entire battlefield at all times, but I knew.

Symphonia (5):
Full Force
Fatalize
Like a Glint of Light
The End of a Thought
Beat the Angel/It can Waver and Fight (ideally mashed up)

Aseliaverse Games (4):
Decisive (Phantasia)
Fighting of the Spirit (Phantasia)
Take up the Cross (Phantasia)
The More that I Try (Dawn of the New World)

Iconic others (2):
The Meaning of Birth (Abyss)
Furnace of War (Vesperia)

And, honestly, it was hard cutting them down that much. I could easily get 11+ out of just aselia if I wanted.

Herocin

Smash Journeyman
Please put me down. Tales of symphonia was my first game and it’s still good to this day. One thing I am interested in the main post is the suggestion of an arte tree gimmick. Could someone please elaborate?

Kuraudo

4Aerith
NNID
Kuraudo
I have a confession to make.

I own,

- Tales of Symphonia (GC & PS3)
- Tales of the Abyss (PS2)
- Tales of Vesperia (Xbox 360 & Switch)
- Tales of Graces f (PS3)
- Tales of Xillia 1 & 2 (PS3)
- Tales of Zesteria (PS4)
- Tales of Berseria (PS4)

I have literally played 0 of them. I'm starting with Symphonia tonight, and making my way through the other titles. No other video games for me, not even Smash except for weeklies, until I've put a dent into these. I'm correcting this sin. LOL

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Thought this would be interesting to share. Talks about Lloyd's chances in getting in.
Ugh I'm getting tired of how pedantic it feels when he talks and counters arguments lately. Honestly I have a lot of hard disagrees with some of his takes, specially the lack of Namco content stuff. But I will reserve my personal opinion, I just don't agree with how easily he feels discarding points in favor and how he backs up some points against him and then calls people biased when it doesn't agree with his takes, lol. He definitely wasn't this pedantic not so long ago, he could always bring up good points and such without sounding so much like that. Thankfully he still admits and accepts why we think he is likely, specially because yeah, Tales of IS big, specially in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I really think Lloyd is challenger pack #4. Between Sabi's comments a while back and the fact that there aren't many other options for a bamco character, I think it's his time. Yuri or Velvet are still possible, but given Sakurai's comments about the Mii costume in smash 4, Lloyd seems like the most likely Tales character by far. Plus the Mii swordfighter thing is very interesting. My brain and my gut both say to expect him.

Nightguything

Smash Journeyman
I really think Lloyd is challenger pack #4. Between Sabi's comments a while back and the fact that there aren't many other options for a bamco character, I think it's his time. Yuri or Velvet are still possible, but given Sakurai's comments about the Mii costume in smash 4, Lloyd seems like the most likely Tales character by far. Plus the Mii swordfighter thing is very interesting. My brain and my gut both say to expect him.
I agree with your brain and gut

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
The Mii swordfighter thing is damning. It's the same reason I was certain on Banjo-Kazooie. The glitch theory is essentially confirmed, which means Mii swordfighter is being used as a base for someone. Joker probably used Shiek or something, but definitely not Mii swordfighter. Hero obviously used Link. Banjo-Kazooie accounted for the duck hunt glitch, so who is Mii swordfighter? Literally the only plausible option out of the commonly suggested characters is Lloyd. What other character with any sort of chance fits? Not to mention just how perfectly Lloyd does fit it. He's coming.

NoOtherPersona

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-4922-9697-9289
Ugh I'm getting tired of how pedantic it feels when he talks and counters arguments lately. Honestly I have a lot of hard disagrees with some of his takes, specially the lack of Namco content stuff. But I will reserve my personal opinion, I just don't agree with how easily he feels discarding points in favor and how he backs up some points against him and then calls people biased when it doesn't agree with his takes, lol. He definitely wasn't this pedantic not so long ago, he could always bring up good points and such without sounding so much like that. Thankfully he still admits and accepts why we think he is likely, specially because yeah, Tales of IS big, specially in Japan.
Lloyd still has a decent chance i think Ryu has a good shot to those too mostly

ThoughtfulWanderer

Smash Lord
The Mii swordfighter thing is damning. It's the same reason I was certain on Banjo-Kazooie. The glitch theory is essentially confirmed, which means Mii swordfighter is being used as a base for someone. Joker probably used Shiek or something, but definitely not Mii swordfighter. Hero obviously used Link. Banjo-Kazooie accounted for the duck hunt glitch, so who is Mii swordfighter? Literally the only plausible option out of the commonly suggested characters is Lloyd. What other character with any sort of chance fits? Not to mention just how perfectly Lloyd does fit it. He's coming.
Not only do many of Swordfighter's specials uncannily resemble many of Lloyd's moves, timing is also a crucial detail here. Sakurai notified Japanese users at Ultimate's launch that the first 3 DLC characters were already in development. This means that the window for when work on character #4 could've began is very wide open and suggesting that they need a huge head start on every DLC character to meet that February 2020 deadline.

A month after Sakurai's notification is when Plant arrived and when Swordfighter and Duck Hunt problems began. Considering that Joker and Hero were the closest to being finished, it is very possible that all of the data tying them to existing fighters was able to be cleaned up properly before the patch, hence why Link and whoever Joker could've borrowed assets from did not crash Century Smash... but Duck Hunt (Banjo) and Swordfighter (character #4) did.

Though I'm curious as to where I can find the Sabi quote you mentioned, as I must've missed it when it first came around?

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
Are we all just pretending the Hero isn't a thing?

Top Bottom