• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
So no heihachi, geno nor Lloyd mii costumes… I hope it means even better news for them (at least for geno and lloyd, i dont care about heihachi at all). They wouldn't get rid of Geno's mii costume if he wasn't gonna get upgraded to playable, so I hope that also applies to Lloyd and we both get playable!

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
I think monster hunter has a pretty good shot aswell. Given it’s sucess and rathalos being a boss and such. I thought to myself a while back I’d monster hunter didn’t become a assist trophy he’d be a contender for DLC for sure. Just can’t wait to finally know the 5 haha

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I originally posted this on reddit, but here's why I believe that Lloyd has a really solid shot:

Now add the Mystic leak and the fact that Lloyd survived the Direct.
Hey Just curious, is there a source to the VA avoiding questions or something? also, would it be sus if he avoided questions? or would that just be regular nda? Altho I guess if he hasn't avoided them before then that means something is up this time… I dont know why would he avoid questions if lloyd's situation was gone or the same as it was in Smash 4…

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Hey Just curious, is there a source to the VA avoiding questions or something? also, would it be sus if he avoided questions? or would that just be regular nda? Altho I guess if he hasn't avoided them before then that means something is up this time… I dont know why would he avoid questions if lloyd's situation was gone or the same as it was in Smash 4…
I'm curious about this too. Was someone saying he's been asked?

SPEN18

Smash Lord
Alright guys, I'm back to say that I've bought ToS and I've played through the first couple hours. Enjoying it so far!

Loving Lloyd's personality. I still feel like a noob with the battle system but I'll get better lol. I put it on Manual; is that recommended?

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman
Alright guys, I'm back to say that I've bought ToS and I've played through the first couple hours. Enjoying it so far!

Loving Lloyd's personality. I still feel like a noob with the battle system but I'll get better lol. I put it on Manual; is that recommended?
I'd say so. ToS was my first entry in the series, and I played on Manual the whole time and didn't have any issues. I'm not a big fan of Semi-Auto, but that's just my preference.

Xuan Wu

Valor Ablaze
NNID
Xuanwu_2014
My vote was cast to Lloyd during the SSB4 Smash Bros. Fighter Ballot back in 2015.

To this day, he is still my most wanted.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Big News.

There's been a rumor about the 2nd DLC character from PolarPanda. It's a character who:

-Popular with Boomers, but not with zoomers(or Gen Z).
-Name starts with an L.

Add in the other evidence(MysticDistance, Mii Costume, Tales Broadcast, Tales Anniversary, Vesperia HD on Switch), and yup I think he might be in. :D

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
I've heard Lloyd's name, yes. Verified the source? No. Not quite sure yet. But I've heard it and so have some others, such as Hitagi.
Okay. Crossing my fingers he's in. Even with insiders saying it, I'll still be surprised delightedly if he gets in.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I've heard Lloyd's name, yes. Verified the source? No. Not quite sure yet. But I've heard it and so have some others, such as Hitagi.
I know you've got a lot of info to follow; but could you try to get to the bottom of Lloyd's status? Thank you in advance.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Tales of Anniversary coming really soon now and there will be a special broadcast just the day after smash releases, featuring Lloyd's VA… crossing fingers here too

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
I would love Llyod to join the fight. His dual swords could give an interesting moveset and i think namco bandai could deserves it given they co developed this titan of a game. Not only that but the soundtrack would be lit!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I would love Llyod to join the fight. His dual swords could give an interesting moveset and i think namco bandai could deserves it given they co developed this titan of a game. Not only that but the soundtrack would be lit!
We couldn't get a bunch load of Motoi Sakuraba music from Golden Sun we might as well do it with ToS then! lol

StrawHatX

Smash Lord
Isaac fan here rooting for you Lloydbros to finally get him playable! Been cheering for him since the great voting war on the Smash subreddit when we teamed up against the haters who called our wanted characters “anime swordsmen who didn’t belong”.

RandomAce

Smash Champion
Get ready, looks like Lloyd is currently a highly speculated character to be DLC. Let's hope that of the two bros, at least one of them gets in. But for any Tales of fans here, it looks like Lloyd is competing with Yuri as well. It's interesting to see how DLC is turning out right now.

Another thing, can someone here confirm if there is an upcoming big Tales of event that was said to begin in early december as well?

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Get ready, looks like Lloyd is currently a highly speculated character to be DLC. Let's hope that of the two bros, at least one of them gets in. But for any Tales of fans here, it looks like Lloyd is competing with Yuri as well. It's interesting to see how DLC is turning out right now.

Another thing, can someone here confirm if there is an upcoming big Tales of event that was said to begin in early december as well?
The annual Tales Broadcast to celebrate the series's anniversary in Japan. Normally it wouldn't be such a bug deal. But this year is interesting. Normally these happen around the 15th of December, but this year it's the 8th. 2 days after TGAs and 1 day after Ultimate's release. The VA guests have relation to a current or upcoming Tales game. Like Rita and Raven's VA(Vesperia HD). Two others are characters from their current mobile games. And the last one is Lloyd's japanese VA.

https://gematsu.com/2018/11/tales-o...-broadcast-tales-room-2018-set-for-december-8

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
The annual Tales Broadcast to celebrate the series's anniversary in Japan. Normally it wouldn't be such a bug deal. But this year is interesting. Normally these happen around the 15th of December, but this year it's the 8th. 2 days after TGAs and 1 day after Ultimate's release. The VA guests have relation to a current or upcoming Tales game. Like Rita and Raven's VA(Vesperia HD). Two others are characters from their current mobile games. And the last one is Lloyd's japanese VA.

https://gematsu.com/2018/11/tales-o...-broadcast-tales-room-2018-set-for-december-8
Imagine getting both games remake or ports + Lloyd… and apparently Lloyd's VA has been avoiding Smash Ultimate questions, which he didn't do back in Brawl and Smash 4… I hope i'm not getting hyped over nothing , Namco should definitely put a character from their equivalent of a FF series lol (in terms of how big it is)

Last edited:

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
So I thought of some titles Lloyd could have for Classic and Boxing Ring.

Classic Mode: A Tale of Two Worlds.

A pun on his IPs name and Sylvarant and Tethealla. His fights are against characters who went through more than one world(Young Link, Toon Link, Kirby etc) and Angel theme enemies based on Cruxis(Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena). Final Boss would be Master Hand & Crazy Hand.

Boxing Ring: Sword of Swords. His Colosseum title he gets from beating the Advance level Colosseum.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Im honestly so excited about this Lloyd news, I cant stop myself from getting hyped haha

BoyMan

Smash Cadet
So I thought of some titles Lloyd could have for Classic and Boxing Ring.

Classic Mode: A Tale of Two Worlds.

A pun on his IPs name and Sylvarant and Tethealla. His fights are against characters who went through more than one world(Young Link, Toon Link, Kirby etc) and Angel theme enemies based on Cruxis(Pit, Dark Pit, and Palutena). Final Boss would be Master Hand & Crazy Hand.

Boxing Ring: Sword of Swords. His Colosseum title he gets from beating the Advance level Colosseum.
If Lloyd has some of his alternate costumes from Symphonia, it would be neat to see his boxing ring title change to the corresponding titles from the game. Like if he has his swim trunks outfit selected, his Boxing Ring title would change to "Beach Boy."

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
If Lloyd has some of his alternate costumes from Symphonia, it would be neat to see his boxing ring title change to the corresponding titles from the game. Like if he has his swim trunks outfit selected, his Boxing Ring title would change to "Beach Boy."
That would be such a cool feature, I defs hope at least some of his alt costumes get in!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
In one day, we will watch TGA… in 2 days, we will play smash… in 3 days, we will have the Tales of Anniversary broadcast that happens one week before the actual anniversary and it will be featuring Lloyd's VA… crossing fingers here

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Hey guys, felt like popping in from the Geno thread to say I've been feeling a bit more excited for Lloyd than usual--there's been a TON of discussion in our thread about PolarPanda's info, and naturally Lloyd's come up a fair bit. The fact that he's been talked about, and that he's actually looking quite possible...

I gotta say, it's getting me hyped!

Costume theory has boosted my hopes for Lloyd as well--along with Geno, Lloyd getting a costume in 4 was so out of left field, it seems hard to ignore there may be something more there. Lloyd's one of the last few costumes not to be made into some part of Ultimate. That's incredibly suspicious to me.

Also, I had a question for you guys, as it seems like you'd know: how do the Tales series' sales stack up to other Namco IPs? To me, Tales is the most noticeable franchise they have aside from Pac Man (granted, as a Tales fan, I am biased, lol.) Tekken seems big too, but Tales has more history...just trying to get a picture for the series' importance to Namco.

Has anyone done that research yet?

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
Hey guys, felt like popping in from the Geno thread to say I've been feeling a bit more excited for Lloyd than usual--there's been a TON of discussion in our thread about PolarPanda's info, and naturally Lloyd's come up a fair bit. The fact that he's been talked about, and that he's actually looking quite possible...

I gotta say, it's getting me hyped!

Costume theory has boosted my hopes for Lloyd as well--along with Geno, Lloyd getting a costume in 4 was so out of left field, it seems hard to ignore there may be something more there. Lloyd's one of the last few costumes not to be made into some part of Ultimate. That's incredibly suspicious to me.

Also, I had a question for you guys, as it seems like you'd know: how do the Tales series' sales stack up to other Namco IPs? To me, Tales is the most noticeable franchise they have aside from Pac Man (granted, as a Tales fan, I am biased, lol.) Tekken seems big too, but Tales has more history...just trying to get a picture for the series' importance to Namco.

Has anyone done that research yet?
Check out the video in my signature

EDIT: Super cool news!!! Heihachi is in Pac-Mans taunt!! I feel like this in some way shows in favor for Lloyd even more so! How crazy !
B14C9301-19AA-4D4E-BFB1-F6B13331DABB.jpeg

Last edited:

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583

EDIT: Super cool news!!! Heihachi is in Pac-Mans taunt!! I feel like this in some way shows in favor for Lloyd even more so! How crazy !View attachment 181822
That was I really well done video! Answered my question well: Tales is a big deal to Namco, pretty much more than their other stuff. Also gave me even more hope--it was pretty compelling.

I went ahead and subscribed while I was at it. I have to give props when I feel a YouTuber has a good presence and delivery in a video. Hats off to you, sir.

And that Heihachi sprite...! That is DEFINITELY significant. Why take a character they had even a partial model for and then turn it into a taunt? This seems to imply Heihachi likely won't be a fighter. My guess is that his costume probably didn't sell well enough to earn him even an AT, so he got this instead.

Which means...Lloyd is one of the few costumes left! GREAT news.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
That was I really well done video! Answered my question well: Tales is a big deal to Namco, pretty much more than their other stuff. Also gave me even more hope--it was pretty compelling.

I went ahead and subscribed while I was at it. I have to give props when I feel a YouTuber has a good presence and delivery in a video. Hats off to you, sir.

And that Heihachi sprite...! That is DEFINITELY significant. Why take a character they had even a partial model for and then turn it into a taunt? This seems to imply Heihachi likely won't be a fighter. My guess is that his costume probably didn't sell well enough to earn him even an AT, so he got this instead.

Which means...Lloyd is one of the few costumes left! GREAT news.
Thank you so much for the kind words! I worked hard on it cause like I said in the vid, Lloyd has been a dream pick for smash since brawl for me. All the evidence is pointing towards his inclusion so I really really hope it comes true! Fingers crossed, hopefully today at the game awards or on the 8th when the anniversay stream happens we’ll get some sort of announcment

PhilosophicAnimal

Smash Ace
NNID
Spectros_rage
3DS FC
2879-0121-1583
Thank you so much for the kind words! I worked hard on it cause like I said in the vid, Lloyd has been a dream pick for smash since brawl for me. All the evidence is pointing towards his inclusion so I really really hope it comes true! Fingers crossed, hopefully today at the game awards or on the 8th when the anniversay stream happens we’ll get some sort of announcment
No problem! I look forward to seeing what other videos you'll do. :)

And I'm definitely crossing my fingers for Lloyd! The great part is, nearly all the rumored characters right now are favorites of mine, so there's a good chance I'll get at least one of them in, lol. If I could get all of them, Lloyd included...

I can't even imagine it. But I can hope.

Clumsyzephyr

Smash Journeyman

EDIT: Super cool news!!! Heihachi is in Pac-Mans taunt!! I feel like this in some way shows in favor for Lloyd even more so! How crazy !View attachment 181822
This is great, I'm even more confident about Lloyd showing up in the fighters pass now. Weird that they'd have a Tekken reference but absolutely nothing for Tales of.

ShadowGuy1

Smash Lord
With the Heihachi thing, Lloyd is one of the few mii costumes not in smash at all besides I think Jacky and Chocobo. That’s...interesting

PolarPanda

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5723-5971-6209
(THIS IS NOT A LEAK, PLEASE DO NOT MISINTERPRET OR TWIST MY WORDS AGAIN) Interestingly, Pac Man's taunt covers almost all Namco franchises now. Katamari, Taiko Drum, Dragon Buster, Heihaichi from Tekken, and a few other series got added to his taunt. The only two I can think of that were missing were Tales Of and Klonoa. However, as we know, part of the Tales team is developing Smash so this stands out as really, really odd.. We know they can use Lloyd, and yet he has no spirit and isn't even a part of Pac Man's taunt. Hmm.

Also, this probably means RIP to Heihaichi. Press F to pay respect.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Crossing fingers here for our boi… Tales of broadcast featuring Lloyd's VA the day after smash releases, and Tales of Anniversary on the next week… If one of the VA has been avoiding smash questions which hasn't happened with brawl nor smash 4, hopefully it all leads up to his inclusion, finally…

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
If it turned out Lloyd was announced as the first fighter over popular picks like Banjo or Geno, that would be interesting lol. A surprise, to be sure, but a welcome one.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
To be fair the order of reveals don't really matter. No matter which franchise fans they please, it will enrage the others. Nintendo doesn't get anything from bothering about the order of reveals, unless there is a specific one that ensures people to buy the season pass, which honestly would be Banjo or someone as BIG as him. Either way i don't think the order matters. They might make a CGI teaser showing silhouettes of each of the DLC characters, then the order wouldn't matter at all anymore, other than order of release, but then again you can't do anything to please everyone at the same time lol. I don't care about the order, i just wanna know who they are lol

Last edited:

ES. Dinah

Smash Ace
(THIS IS NOT A LEAK, PLEASE DO NOT MISINTERPRET OR TWIST MY WORDS AGAIN) Interestingly, Pac Man's taunt covers almost all Namco franchises now. Katamari, Taiko Drum, Dragon Buster, Heihaichi from Tekken, and a few other series got added to his taunt. The only two I can think of that were missing were Tales Of and Klonoa. However, as we know, part of the Tales team is developing Smash so this stands out as really, really odd.. We know they can use Lloyd, and yet he has no spirit and isn't even a part of Pac Man's taunt. Hmm.

Also, this probably means RIP to Heihaichi. Press F to pay respect.
Sorry, just a KOS-MOS supporter passing by.....

What about KOS-MOS? Surely she's missing from his taunts too and we already know she doesnt have a spirit lol. Speculation but you know.... KOS-MOS is a Namco character too! Why does everyone forget .....

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Sorry, just a KOS-MOS supporter passing by.....

What about KOS-MOS? Surely she's missing from his taunts too and we already know she doesnt have a spirit lol. Speculation but you know.... KOS-MOS is a Namco character too! Why does everyone forget .....
Nintendo bought out Monolith Soft in 2012.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
Heihachi more or less being disconfirmed gets rid of Lloyd's main competitor. Which is good news! But it's still sad for Heihachi supporters.

I kind of feel like Namco is making a new era for the Tales franchise. They have been trying to make it more accessible in the west. So why not pull a Fire Emblem and Bayonetta? The 17th installment I predict, will be the Awakening of the series.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
Heihachi more or less being disconfirmed gets rid of Lloyd's main competitor. Which is good news! But it's still sad for Heihachi supporters.

I kind of feel like Namco is making a new era for the Tales franchise. They have been trying to make it more accessible in the west. So why not pull a Fire Emblem and Bayonetta? The 17th installment I predict, will be the Awakening of the series.
Berseria already has started getting people talking. Lloyd in Smash to celebrate history plus Vesperia's rerelease will be big for the series for sure.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Welp I kinda called it, they didn't need to show gameplay to show characters, they can just make themed trailers for the reveals, no matter how far in development the characters are. Let's hope Lloyd gets his trailer soon if he is also one of the remaining 4 unknown DLC characters! Joker is hype imo.

D

Deleted member

I'm pretty hyped Joker made it into Smash as he is someone I've always wanted but didn't think would happen. And if Lloyd gets in as well, my life would be complete. I would love for this happen.

Top Bottom