• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Christ, this poll was a fun one to follow. I don't think we could have asked for a better outcome - fourth place is insane given who he had to beat to get there, and it reinforced my faith in the Lloyd/Isaac brotherhood. Really looking forward to the DLC edition tournament.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Lloydbroooooosssssss

I love you guys.

Please add me to the supporters list. Symphonia is the only tales game I've ever finished but I truly did enjoy it. Here's to Isaac and Lloyd saluting each other on the field of battle December 7.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
I'd love it if both isaac and Lloyd made it into smash, that'd be a dream, honestly the top 5 results for the poll would be the dream picks for me. Fingers crossed

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
I'd love it if both isaac and Lloyd made it into smash, that'd be a dream, honestly the top 5 results for the poll would be the dream picks for me. Fingers crossed
Much the same here, Lloyd, Isaac, Geno, Skull Kid, and even Banjo are all characters I'd love to see in the game.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
View attachment 168135
Isaac fans and Lloyd fans are indeed the thickest of comrades.
Whelp, I need peeps to do fanart of the two swordbros together now. This strong bond just keeps on giving!!!

Now if only we had a suitable artist to fulfill that dream...

Last edited:

Arsenal234

Smash Apprentice
The Lloyd and Isaac brotherhood lol. I guess its true. I never played a tales game before, but looking at Lloyd I think he would be a fun character. I hope him and Isaac both get in.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
The Lloyd and Isaac brotherhood lol. I guess its true. I never played a tales game before, but looking at Lloyd I think he would be a fun character. I hope him and Isaac both get in.
...He's just a guy with two swords. I'd rather have Marta from the sequel. She summons monsters.

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Count me in! As a Isaac follower; I feel like Lloyd should get in too; even if it's DLC.
Added!

Whelp, I need peeps to do fanart of the two swordbros together now. This strong bond just keeps on giving!!!

Now if only we had a suitable artist to fulfill that dream...

Been thinking about this for a while, I know some people that could make it happen, so we'll see.

...He's just a guy with two swords. I'd rather have Marta from the sequel. She summons monsters.
What sequel? There is no sequel for ToS.

D

Deleted member

I've never played ToS, but I've always wanted to, and as a long-time Isaac fan, that poll has given me the excuse. The alliance lives!

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
I doubt they'd add one of the least liked characters in the entire franchise over what might well be considered a poster boy. Lloyd is a lot more than just a guy with two swords, and has plenty of potential to be a very unique and interesting character - I can't think of any other character in the game whose moveset is half grounded projectiles and half high commitment launchers, and that's not even getting into the potential gimmicks they could add.

Last edited:

DarkAuraful

Torpid Dragon
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World was something I really wanted to like, and I tried my best to maintain a positive opinion of the game considering how many memories I made with the original Tales of Symphonia. Probably not anywhere up to the first game's level but at least solid enough.

I was probably somewhere like around Chapter 5 at the time, but I personally did not like the monster capture system. It was starting to grow on me but what really made me drop the game there was the fact that I couldn't level up the rest of the original party members. It honestly became a dealbreaker for me since the "titles with different stats" system was one of my favorite parts of the first Symphonia along with the T and S arte system.

Dropped the game and never looked back since.

Isaac for Smash Pls

Smash Journeyman
Hmm...the passionate way they look into each other's eyes seems beyond platonic. Jenna probably won't be happy that Isaac is cavorting with other men, but you know what? I dig it. The fires of war forge strong bonds and both Isaac and Lloyd have been through the proverbial wringer when it comes to Smash speculation.

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World was something I really wanted to like, and I tried my best to maintain a positive opinion of the game considering how many memories I made with the original Tales of Symphonia. Probably not anywhere up to the first game's level but at least solid enough.

I was probably somewhere like around Chapter 5 at the time, but I personally did not like the monster capture system. It was starting to grow on me but what really made me drop the game there was the fact that I couldn't level up the rest of the original party members. It honestly became a dealbreaker for me since the "titles with different stats" system was one of my favorite parts of the first Symphonia along with the T and S arte system.

Dropped the game and never looked back since.
The sequel had issues that extended far beyond just the gameplay for me. It focused far too much on new original characters that lacked the charm of the original cast, completely missed the mark in terms of execution of the various ideas that made ToS (some of which ToS 2 did admittedly managed to touch on), and decided to revolve the bulk of the early game around a question that is answered in the lamest way possible.

That's all on top of atrocious writing ("Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality."), uninspired characters, and the fact that the game really just feels like someone slapped some ToS fan service on a ****ty handheld spin-off.

verysleepywolf

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
3153-5879-7280
I checked out the beginning of ToS last night, immediately smitten by its presentation. The opening animation, the beautiful title screen with the falling feather, the luscious orchestral music... if it weren't for the smash fandom, I wouldn't have discovered this game, so thanks guys! I love the combat system and am gonna invest some serious time into Symphonia, so hopefully it doesn't lose its luster for me and I can actually beat it.

hustler713

Smash Apprentice
Still think the Tales Series should have went on with the Universe of TOS and TOP, at least with a few more games. There would have been so much potential, not only for sequels (TOS 2 was wasted Potential) but i could also see a prequel playing as the Party of Mythos, Martel, Kratos and Yuan.

Sadly Namco seems not to see this potential.

I'd love Lloyd in Smash. He basically already has a Moveset, since the Tales Series basically has a very similiar Combat System to Smash.

VashTehStampede

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
8506-1485-4895
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdSKO-mc2n8
0:13
Mii Swordsman's Blurring Blade was changed from Smash 4. It has fire effect to it and a slash for finisher.
Maybe they wanted it distinct from Lloyd's down special :^]
Good catch, that would be a nice little change! Lloyd's moveset really is open ended and like many have stated. He'd fit into smash perfectly

ryuu seika

Smash Master
The sequel had issues that extended far beyond just the gameplay for me. It focused far too much on new original characters that lacked the charm of the original cast, completely missed the mark in terms of execution of the various ideas that made ToS (some of which ToS 2 did admittedly managed to touch on), and decided to revolve the bulk of the early game around a question that is answered in the lamest way possible.

That's all on top of atrocious writing ("Courage is the magic that turns dreams into reality."), uninspired characters, and the fact that the game really just feels like someone slapped some ToS fan service on a ****ty handheld spin-off.
Aside from the fact that it was never meant to be a handheld, that's pretty spot on. Nintendo asked for a Wii Tales and they were like "Ooh, we know what Nintendo fans love, let's rip off Pokemon!". Then, when they realised that the plot was just rehashing old themes, they decided to slap ToS characters on late into development. It's all stated in interviews, too, albeit a bit more tactfully.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Still think the Tales Series should have went on with the Universe of TOS and TOP, at least with a few more games. There would have been so much potential, not only for sequels (TOS 2 was wasted Potential) but i could also see a prequel playing as the Party of Mythos, Martel, Kratos and Yuan.

Sadly Namco seems not to see this potential.

I'd love Lloyd in Smash. He basically already has a Moveset, since the Tales Series basically has a very similiar Combat System to Smash.
Good catch, that would be a nice little change! Lloyd's moveset really is open ended and like many have stated. He'd fit into smash perfectly
Or, you know, we can have Marta summon monsters like Yuna in Dissidia.

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Hmm. If I'm not on the support list, put me there. Though for me, my first Tales game was actually Tales of Eterna with the bottomless pit of a hunter, Reid along with Farah and the cute Meredy.

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Or, you know, we could have a character who actually reflects their own in universe fighting and isn't from a garbage game.

Hmm. If I'm not on the support list, put me there. Though for me, my first Tales game was actually Tales of Eterna with the bottomless pit of a hunter, Reid along with Farah and the cute Meredy.
Nothing wrong with Eternia and, TBH, I wouldn't mind seeing either Fog or a summoner duo in Smash. What I really want from that game, though, is the reverse Rising Phoenix hitbox. That thing was deadly!

Last edited:

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Utility fighters make for lame metas, and I still think that it'd be ridiculous of them to add one of the least popular characters in the entire franchise. Seriously, she ranked in bottom 11 in a ranking of over 100 characters.

Added! Cheers.

Luigifan18

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5577-0969-0868
Utility fighters make for lame metas.
Meta, schmeta. I'd like to see more newcomers who fill unexplored niches and bring something new and interesting to the roster, and a moveset focused on summoning sub-characters to help their master fight would definitely fit the bill (and would certainly fit "unexplored niche" territory better than a guy with two swords). What is a "utility fighter", anyway, and by what standards are they "bad"?

EDIT: On second thought, "summoning sub-characters to help their master fight" is actually a pretty on-the-nose description of Olimar's playstyle. I still maintain that Marta or a similar "beastmaster"-class character would execute that concept quite differently; Olimar directly uses his summoned allies as weapons to attack with and is next to entirely helpless without them, while a Marta-type character would be a decent enough fighter on their own (though still a bit outclassed by the rest of the roster, for balance's sake) and would instead have their allies fight alongside them as backup. (And both Olimar and Marta are a different take on the "beastmaster" class than Pokémon Trainer, who has a set team of allies rather than summoning them mid-combat and has his minions fight in his place rather than taking to the field himself.)

Last edited:

Aurora Jenny

Smash Lord
NNID
Dart_Rodales
Utility fighters make for lame metas, and I still think that it'd be ridiculous of them to add one of the least popular characters in the entire franchise. Seriously, she ranked in bottom 11 in a ranking of over 100 characters.

Added! Cheers.
Thank you kindly! That said, if a Tales character were ever added, it'd be Lloyd as that's the one Sakurai associates as the face of Tales right now, though I wonder if that's only because some of the other characters were banned from the polls?

blueneuronDOTnet

Smash Journeyman
Thank you kindly! That said, if a Tales character were ever added, it'd be Lloyd as that's the one Sakurai associates as the face of Tales right now, though I wonder if that's only because some of the other characters were banned from the polls?
Wait, what do you mean? Are you talking about the Tales Festival polls? I'm not sure those are really much of a factor here - the Yoshi interview seemed to imply that it had more to do with Lloyd's extreme popularity among Nintendo fans. He's like Yuri, except far more recognizable outside the Tales fandom, far more successful in terms of sales, and a much stronger history with Nintendo. Kind of a no-brainer.

aarchak

Smash Ace
Uh-oh. I just saw this in the General Speculation thread...

Suddenly, new franchises look a lot less likely.
Huh. Looks like it WAS a typo or something. Either way, if a new franchise is coming in, it certainly won't be getting a new stage along with it.

Top Bottom