• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

widu0746

Smash Rookie
Lloyd's chances in Ultimate only end when his Mii costume returns. Don't forget the Monster Hunter armor sets have just as strong a chance of showing up in Pyra and Mythra's Mii Costume wave. Up until now, the Mii Costumes at least tangentially related to the fighters of the second fighter pass in some way. With Heihachi, he was a fighting game character like MinMin was. Gil was similar to Steve in that they both used swords with a blue tint and were both adventurers. Geno and the Chocobo hat were in because like Sephiroth are owned by Square Enix. If anything, Lloyd doesn't have that much in common with Pyra and Mythra, where as the Monster Hunter armor sets are closer to the spirit of Xenoblade's gameplay
not to mention the new monster hunter game on the switch also comes out in the month of March, which is when Pyra/Mythra is set to be released. Including their mii costumes instead of Lloyds may be their way of advertising for the new monster hunter. "fingers crossed"

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Honestly, I feel like the next wave of Mii costumes could be the make or break moment for Lloyd. Clearly there’s a trend of releasing the Smash 4 Mii costumes alongside related characters (Min Min and Heihachi, Sephiroth and Geno, etc.) and Pyra seems like the perfect character to release alongside Lloyd’s costume.

If Lloyd’s Mii costume isn’t released with Pyra, then his chances will skyrocket, in my opinion. We got three JRPG swordsman in the last pass, so it’s perfectly possible that we’ll get three in this pass as well. Lloyd still feels very likely to me, so long as he dodges the next wave of Miis.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Hate to say it, but I'm kinda feeling like if Geno missed the upgrade, and now Rex did too despite his blades getting in... the chances for our boy just aren't looking great. I feel like there's a high likelihood of the two big Mii costumes from Smash 4 returning, those being Lloyd's and the MH armor duo. The MH armor set is different enough to potentially come with The Hunter (especially with Rise's blue clothing providing a nice contrast) but the same can't be said of Lloy'd Mii. And unfortunately, Lloyd would also be a fitting Mii costume to include with Pyra & Mythra (though he's still far from guaranteed if he doesn't show up with them). I'm now thinking Yuri is more likely if we get a Tales character.

Adrianette Bromide

Smash Lord
Hate to say it, but I'm kinda feeling like if Geno missed the upgrade, and now Rex did too despite his blades getting in... the chances for our boy just aren't looking great. I feel like there's a high likelihood of the two big Mii costumes from Smash 4 returning, those being Lloyd's and the MH armor duo. The MH armor set is different enough to potentially come with The Hunter (especially with Rise's blue clothing providing a nice contrast) but the same can't be said of Lloy'd Mii. And unfortunately, Lloyd would also be a fitting Mii costume to include with Pyra & Mythra (though he's still far from guaranteed if he doesn't show up with them). I'm now thinking Yuri is more likely if we get a Tales character.
Giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, the stupid Red Shell hat which is the dark horse Mii costume could return with Pyra given both are Nintendo properties... I guess? But that still leaves two fighter packs left and two returning costumes. I wish you guys the best of love, hope things work in your favour!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Just because some miis didn't get in, doesn't mean others didn't. I'm looking at Krool, Chrom, Isabelle… so yeah. Just saying, I don't think just because Geno and Rex didn't, means anything for Lloyd lol, not to mention the amount of push Lloyd has had since Brawl has been huge, specifically from Japan, and unlike geno or rex's series, Tales Of is one of the top 3 jrpg series considered in Japan (alongside DQ and FF). I don't think he is in the same position as those by any means. We shall see, anyways.

Last edited:

MrMilk

Smash Rookie
If we do end up getting mii costumed this time around I'm still really curious what Scott's NDA project ends up being. He never clarified it wasn't Smash like I feel most VAs do and he even avoided any responses that mentioned Lloyd specifically. Seems like it was far too long ago to have been related to Ultimate, but it's an odd loose thread either way.

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Hey guys I've been writing some new scripts for the next for smash episode and I decided with the timing of the Pyra presentation coming soon and the fact we may or may not see the costume return, now would be the best time for me to make that Lloyd for smash episode I had planned a few months back. The script is still in the early stages so while I can remember the pivotal moments of speculation for Lloyd like the Tales of interview with Sakurai back in 2012 or 2013 or the Smash Ballot days, was there any big events during Brawl or Smash 4 that should be mentioned?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
It's going to suck for you guys if that Lloyd Mii costume returns since Lloyd has been dodging a rain of bullets since the character massacre of the November 1st, 2018 Smash Direct. I hope what happened to Geno doesn't happen to Lloyd as I don't want to see another old legacy fanbase going through with their character getting deconfirmed after surviving after this long.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Random question, do we know by any sources / polls / surveys, about how big the demand more or less is for Lloyd in Japan? I've heard many times that he is quite requested over there but I can't find believable polls from japan that doesn't look like they have clearly a lot of western reps in its results lol. I'm just curious if someone here has digged at some point about the demand of Lloyd over Japan. I certainly would expect him to be the most requested bamco rep over there, considering Heihachi I have never heard his name from people over there, and even Harada has confirmed that Tekken' sales mostly come from outside Japan lol.

Anyways just pure curiosity.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
Giving everyone the benefit of the doubt, the stupid Red Shell hat which is the dark horse Mii costume could return with Pyra given both are Nintendo properties... I guess? But that still leaves two fighter packs left and two returning costumes. I wish you guys the best of love, hope things work in your favour!
I gotta say, I really love the energy that comes from you calling it “the stupid Red Shell hat,” when it’s literally your profile pic.

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
If we do end up getting mii costumed this time around I'm still really curious what Scott's NDA project ends up being. He never clarified it wasn't Smash like I feel most VAs do and he even avoided any responses that mentioned Lloyd specifically. Seems like it was far too long ago to have been related to Ultimate, but it's an odd loose thread either way.
I don't know much about the process, but I think there might not be enough info to make that call. Scott's tweet was a bit ambiguous even about what stage the project was in at the time of the tweet. Had recording started, or did he mean he was preparing to go record? Would Bamco have brought him in after Lloyd was selected for the fighter pass, but before the rest of the development process? Did Covid affect what order the fighters were developed and released in?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
I don't know much about the process, but I think there might not be enough info to make that call. Scott's tweet was a bit ambiguous even about what stage the project was in at the time of the tweet. Had recording started, or did he mean he was preparing to go record? Would Bamco have brought him in after Lloyd was selected for the fighter pass, but before the rest of the development process? Did Covid affect what order the fighters were developed and released in?
The moment he teased it could've been either way after he made the contract for it, or right afterwards, we will never know, but certainly there's no reason to assume one or another, we just don't know and won't know, voice actors can choose whenever they want to tease something, like maybe just one day they feel excited to be part of that thing and decided to tease it that day randomly… who knows in the end really.

I don't think the order of the fighters would be changed at all by covid. The only thing that would be affected is simply the timing of the reveals/releases. There's no reason to change the order if there's nothing timed alongside such reveals (like a game coming out).

Lloyd could've been one of the long ago negotiated characters like Sephiroth and Steve, probably for a potential pass 2 if it ever happened, and in Lloyd's case since he is from Bamco who are working on Ultimate, he could've easily been one of the first names to ever be talked about for potential future DLC for all we know.

We can really just hope it turns to be the case…

Last edited:

BryanD

Smash Rookie
March 4th (Next Thursday) at 9 AM ET will be the Pyra/Mythra showcase... Let's hope our boy survives the Mii selection. If he does, I can't help but think he has to be in; his inclusion in this pass just makes too much sense to me.

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
It occurred to me just now that there will probably be two or three Xenoblade costumes, and that a Mumkhar costume for Brawler would actually be pretty sick

BryanD

Smash Rookie
This is it, the make or break… will they make us wait till the end for nothing like they did it to Geno?…or will we survive instead?… Tune in next week.
If Lloyd survives this pack... something is up. There's no way they wait any longer to bring back the Mii costume. (And on that note, if we don't get the Mii Costume back at all, OR Lloyd as a fighter at all, the Tales Of series is being robbed lol)

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Hey guys, if the OVAs of Symphonia gets english dub, could this be the NDA's work of Scott?

Probably yeah. Altho I have to agree with what this person is saying about "that":

Last edited:

Shergiock

Smash Rookie
Sorry because I love the japanese dub but... I hope it dosn't happend >.< Sorry for my bad english ^^"

Giga Man

Smash Journeyman
Considering how old the Symphonia anime is, to have it finally get an official localization after all this time and not have a dub accompany it tells me there will not be a dub.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Considering how old the Symphonia anime is, to have it finally get an official localization after all this time and not have a dub accompany it tells me there will not be a dub.
Yeah there's no much profit at this point anymore, and VAs would be different. Like the tweet I shared, I think its chances of happening are 1 in a 100.

Last edited:

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Seriously hoping this long wait hasn't been for nothing… mostly because in general I just want more Bamco in Smash overall, or some decent representation of Tales beyond just a dumb mii, while FF and DQ now have plenty of content in the game… Tales is one of the top 3 jrpgs in japan, let it have its fair share of content as well 😔 it's ridiculous to just have freaking Pacman also… like come on

stixie

Smash Apprentice
Geno Fans Last Patch: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Lloyd Fans Last Patch: Yeeeeeeeeeeeees!!
Nintendo This Patch: Mwahahahahahahaha!!

IWantMyBurd

Smash Apprentice
It's nearly time. However tomorrow goes, it's been a fun ride, y'all. Here's hoping for the best.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Geno Fans Last Patch: Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Lloyd Fans Last Patch: Yeeeeeeeeeeeees!!
Nintendo This Patch: Mwahahahahahahaha!!
Tbh there was no reason to fear for a mii of Lloyd in Sephiroth's pack, since SE fighters have always had SE related miis.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
Tbh there was no reason to fear for a mii of Lloyd in Sephiroth's pack, since SE fighters have always had SE related miis.
Yeah, Seph's Miis were basically Geno or no Geno, with most people leaning towards the former. I remember there was a lot of skepticism surrounding Lloyd after Steve and the Gil Mii, but that was put on hold after Sephiroth. Looks like it's just coming back in full force now that the Squeenix-only thing's over.

Shergiock

Smash Rookie
Good luck everyone. Happends what happends, remember, we all love Tales of, and that's what matter. Being in Smash Bros. is only more "prestige" to the series, but is not a need. Martel bless us.

Last edited:

Gitaroo

Smash Cadet
morning lloydbois moment of truth soon if the worst comes to worth it's been an honor

KoopaSaki

Smash Ace
Its been so fun going on this ride hoping for our dual wielding sword boy.
I have wanted Lloyd in since brawl with Tales Of Symphonia being my favorite GameCube game from 2004.
I mained Lloyd back in super smash flash when I was in middle school in 2009 (My school had a computer lab and I would sneak in a match during the afterschool clubs)
It took me and a good friend 4 whole years to beat symphonia 100%. This was because I only got to see him twice a month or so but that games so special to me for that reason.
Lastly, if any Bandai Namco rep gets in before ultimate is said and done, I hope Lloyd can make it and bring one of the Motoi Sakuraba bros to the smash battlefield. When Isaac got disconfirmed, I was bummed out but was so glad there was still hope for Lloyd after that November Direct. Here we are now more than two years later and I now find myself more anxious about the mii costume. Either him or monster hunter, we shall see!

Top Bottom