• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive Lloyd Irving Thread - fall down seven times, stand up eight (Mii costume confirmed)

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
I think the one concern Lloyd fans should have is Tales of Arise. If that game ends up being a break-out hit for the west (and in general), Alphen or Shionne could become the defacto choice for a Tales rep in Smash. Kind of like what Joker became for the Persona series.

Capybara Gaming

Just Vibing
I think the one concern Lloyd fans should have is Tales of Arise. If that game ends up being a break-out hit for the west (and in general), Alphen or Shionne could become the defacto choice for a Tales rep in Smash. Kind of like what Joker became for the Persona series.
...Yuri's already got far more popularity than Lloyd, and yet we don't see him as the "de facto" choice for Smash. Why would the Arise protag be any different?

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
...Yuri's already got far more popularity than Lloyd, and yet we don't see him as the "de facto" choice for Smash. Why would the Arise protag be any different?
I mean, I wouldn't argue Tales of Vesperia was a break-out hit in the west. Or a critical darling (though it did review well). If Tales of Arise is both of those things, ala Persona 5, requests for Alphan or Shionne might begin to exceed Lloyd or any other Tales character for that matter by a good margin.

TDDolphin

Smash Ace
Hey guys, thanks for allowing me to come here to talk Lloyd and Tales of with you guys. But now that Lloyd's costume is back, I've decided to leave this forum and invest my time in characters that could still happen for Ultimate. I know that sounds harsh, but I don't mean this in a negative way. But my passion for wanting to come on here often to talk about Tales of and Lloyd is just... not there anymore. Sorry guys, thanks again for having me 🙂

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
I mean, I wouldn't argue Tales of Vesperia was a break-out hit in the west. Or a critical darling (though it did review well). If Tales of Arise is both of those things, ala Persona 5, requests for Alphan or Shionne might begin to exceed Lloyd or any other Tales character for that matter by a good margin.
Tales of Vesperia is very popular in the west, stop downplaying.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I changed the title, though it's a placeholder; I'm open to suggestions. (I've played some of Tales of Symphonia, but that was a while ago, and I don't recall anything specific from the game to reference here)

Extrasy

Smash Rookie
I changed the title, though it's a placeholder; I'm open to suggestions. (I've played some of Tales of Symphonia, but that was a while ago, and I don't recall anything specific from the game to reference here)
A couple of the Dwarven Vows could work for the title. I think Vow #43 would fit nicely: "Never forget the basics."
Or #9 but it might be too long: "Fall down seven times, stand up eight."

Here's a link for reference to the Vows- https://aselia.fandom.com/wiki/Dwarven_Vows

#134 and #10 are cool too. #5 has that spicy taste now that Lloyd did not make the actual roster haha.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
A couple of the Dwarven Vows could work for the title. I think Vow #43 would fit nicely: "Never forget the basics."
Or #9 but it might be too long: "Fall down seven times, stand up eight."

Here's a link for reference to the Vows- https://aselia.fandom.com/wiki/Dwarven_Vows

#134 and #10 are cool too. #5 has that spicy taste now that Lloyd did not make the actual roster haha.
Number nine seems fitting, so I'll go with that.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
Tales of Vesperia is very popular in the west, stop downplaying.
I mean on a Persona 5 level. It definitely did super well by Tales standards (especially with the remaster giving it a good boost), but I think Tales still isn't quite "mainstream" enough or beloved enough compared to Final Fantasy, or more recently, Persona is now in the west. Of course, mainstream is a silly way of putting it, very few games are actually mainstream. I mean mainstream by hardcore gamer standards.

OmarLynx

Smash Rookie
I mean on a Persona 5 level. It definitely did super well by Tales standards (especially with the remaster giving it a good boost), but I think Tales still isn't quite "mainstream" enough or beloved enough compared to Final Fantasy, or more recently, Persona is now in the west. Of course, mainstream is a silly way of putting it, very few games are actually mainstream. I mean mainstream by hardcore gamer standards.
In the West won't but in Japan Tales of is more popular than Persona, and that is enough. In the west we didn't know about Fire emblem until Melee, or people didn't know what Xenoblade is and Smash can do the same for Tales of

Last edited:

the unholy Grail

Smash Apprentice
Hi. I'm from the KOS-MOS thread and I've come to accept that KOS-MOS, while not having been explicitly disconfirmed, is not happening in this game. She's had two chances to appear as both a Monolith/Namco rep and both of those spots have been occupied by different characters in the Aegis and Kazuya. it stings, but it is what it is. With that being said, I've come here to offer my support on a Tales character for Smash.

1.) show my condolences for Lloyd

2.) offer my perspective on what could happen for CP11 regarding Tales.

I would just like to point out that you folks may have lost the battle, but not the war. It's no secret that Tekken and Tales are two of Namco's biggest IP's, and after having just getting Kazuya, it doesn't feel right including one but not the other. The Tekken situation in Ultimate is proof that Mii costumes specifically disconfirm certain characters but NOT their series for DLC. Maybe for CP11 we could have Yuri Lowell/Velvet Crowe as the character with other Tales content to pull from for the challenger pack. I don't have much else to say, but I'm supporting you folks on getting a Tales character in the game.

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
Hi. I'm from the KOS-MOS thread and I've come to accept that KOS-MOS, while not having been explicitly disconfirmed, is not happening in this game. She's had two chances to appear as both a Monolith/Namco rep and both of those spots have been occupied by different characters in the Aegis and Kazuya. it stings, but it is what it is. With that being said, I've come here to offer my support on a Tales character for Smash.

1.) show my condolences for Lloyd

2.) offer my perspective on what could happen for CP11 regarding Tales.

I would just like to point out that you folks may have lost the battle, but not the war. It's no secret that Tekken and Tales are two of Namco's biggest IP's, and after having just getting Kazuya, it doesn't feel right including one but not the other. The Tekken situation in Ultimate is proof that Mii costumes specifically disconfirm certain characters but NOT their series for DLC. Maybe for CP11 we could have Yuri Lowell/Velvet Crowe as the character with other Tales content to pull from for the challenger pack. I don't have much else to say, but I'm supporting you folks on getting a Tales character in the game.
I'm thinking CP11 is gonna be either Master Chief or an SMT rep. Halo and Shin Megami Tensei have a lot going for them. Regradless A Tales rep would still be pretty cool even if it is not Lloyd.

Last edited:

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Today in 2003, "Tales of Symphonia" is on sale !! Lloyd Irving is dual wield because of the theory that if one sword has 100 power, two swords have 200 power. Mii Fighter does not allow default dual wield, so please bring an item ... #Smash Bros SP

Kamen Minecraft

Smash Apprentice
I just finished playing 5 hours of Tales of Arise. So far it is good game however there is one thing that annoys me and that is the in game ads.
It's not as bad as some games however I really do wish they would just leave it out or at least keep it on the title screen. Story is epic as always with the Tales series and the Music sounds pretty good. That's my first impressions what do you guys think?

zferolie

Smash Hero
I just finished playing 5 hours of Tales of Arise. So far it is good game however there is one thing that annoys me and that is the in game ads.
It's not as bad as some games however I really do wish they would just leave it out or at least keep it on the title screen. Story is epic as always with the Tales series and the Music sounds pretty good. That's my first impressions what do you guys think?
I would be playing, but my collector's eddition is delayed, and the code they sent me isn't working :(

Shado-will

Smash Journeyman
Hello, friends. I have come to say that Tales of Arise is cool.

Also Tales of Symphonia is 75% off on Steam until October 4, which is one day before Fighter #11 is revealed, hmmm? Coincidence? Yeah, probably. I don't think many of us still believe Lloyd could get in after his Mii Costume and Kazuya. I just came to say that if any of you haven't played the game yet, or if you have only played the GameCube version like I have, you should consider picking it up. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this version has more content than the GameCube one.

EDIT: All the Tales games on Steam are on sale right now until October 4th. Aside from Arise, obviously. Still probably a coincidence.

Last edited:

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
I started Tales of Arise, but I haven't gotten that far yet -- I'm still wrapping up my replay of Trails to Azure as well. Still, Arise is a lot of fun so far.

Today Bandai Namco announced a new crossover DLC pack coming October 7:

Tbh I probably should've expected this since Bandai Namco develops a lot of SAO games, but I thought the extent of a collab like this would've been a costume or two. Getting a full-fledged Kirito & Asuna fight is surprising.

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
Well we were Mii'd so we already knew it, but it wasn't Lloyd's turn this time. I dunno how speculation will go from here, but I have a feeling Lloyd will still survive as a prominent fan request.

Last edited:
Top Bottom