• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Definitive List of Unused Fighters in Smash has Been Updated!

Over a year ago, PushDustIn created the Definitive Unused Fighter List. The document took several days to compile, but it sorted characters into three categories -- considered, planned, and cut. While the post has been updated to include new information (such as Marth being considered for Super Smash Bros. 64) the post became very disorganized and cluttered. In addition, when the post was originally drafted, not all the sources were translated, which was inconvenient for non-Japanese speakers. Therefore, the Source Gaming team decided to update the list. This huge undertaking was led by Soma, the lead translator of Source Gaming.

The biggest change was the re-branding of the categories, and the addition of two new ones:
"Momentarily Considered, but Immediately Dismissed", "Seriously Considered", "Requested but Dismissed" "Planned/Possibly Cut During Development", and "Cut During Development" are the new ways the list is organized. This was done to better reflect the status of each character and how close they were to getting into Smash.

The full list with sources is available here.

Source Gaming was also accepted to go to E3 as press! However, the site needs your help to fund the trip. Please check out their GoFundMe page for a breakdown of the costs, and how to donate.

What character would you have liked to see in Smash? Let us know in the comments below!

PushDustIn always checks his sources. Follow him on Twitter today!

PushDustin

Comments

Really hate that many aspects of smash wii u were held back by the 3DS. Smash wii u could have been even better than it is if it wasn't for the 3DS holding it back.

Really hate that many aspects of smash wii u were held back by the 3DS. Smash wii u could have been even better than it is if it wasn't for the 3DS holding it back.
As much as I agree, the original idea for smash 4 was to be a 3DS exclusive title. As much as smashers didn't want that to be the only option, that was Sakurai's initial plan. It was only because Nintendo stepped in and said "Hey the Wii U's suffering, can we get this title on there as well" that we saw it for home consoles.

Well damn, if :marthmelee: was in 64, I could have set him as my Smash1 main on this site.

Last edited:
Yeah. They could've added things like 8 player smash and tournament mode if it wasn't for the 3DS version. Oh well.

Very interesting article. Some of the stories I already knew, some I didn't. Was hoping Isaac would be on the list for Brawl, but oh well.

Here's hoping for a remake for the NX, with maybe more features. I think that would be great for the upcoming system's sales.

Aww, Bowser and Mewtwo in Smash 64 would have been so cool!

Also, it feels pretty weird to hear that Jigglypuff and especially Captain Falcon who is so iconic to the series now were mostly included since they were short on time and could use assets from Samus and Kirby to make them. Can't imagine the Smash games without them now.

Quite a few of these I already knew about, however that battle damage one from brawl, I would have liked to see that "rage" mechanic in action. it sounds cool, probably was feasible, but something dumb had to have happened.

Really surprised to hear absolutely nothing about Daisy as a playable character in any development in smash. I would think Melee or Brawl since she was the tough tomboy character in the mario spin offs.

I'd take Ice Climbers over both of those things, also.. what tournament mode?
Hey, different strokes ;)
8 player smash is definitely one of the best things about this series, and portable smash is an immense boon to be had despite the sacrifice of losing the IC but it was all worth in the grand scheme or so to say.

Last edited:
Oh Ayumi, just think of all the skirt related things the fandom would have done with you at the time. :rolleyes:

But Famicom Detective Club is a masterpiece on its own.

Am I the only one who is surprised that James Bond is in this list?
Are you the only person out of 7-8 billion? No. Are you a relatively minor part of the population that is involved in Smash to a serious degree yet doesn't (and totally should) read Source Gaming on a regular basis? Plausible.

Ok, geez. Sorry.
Sorry if that sounded mean. All I was trying to say was that
1. You aren't the "only one", just think how many people there are
2. Read Source Gaming. That was bascally all I did for a Month last Summer. That and playing For Glory SSB4. The articles there are amazing.

It's kind of a shame a lot of these couldn't be in Smash or even the most recent version. I really hope a lot of them get their chance some other time. (If a ne Smash game does come around)

D
Is it just me, or does it seem that pre-release Sm4sh was superior to the actual game?

Chrom should be moved to the "Seriously Considered" category, PushDustIn PushDustIn . Outside of that, good update.
Sakurai stated a moveset was created for him, therefore we believe his current location is accurate. Creating a moveset isn't an easy feat-- Sakurai takes hundreds of pictures of the microman figures in various poses in order to create a moveset. It's well documented in the GDC Slides, and another part of Sakurai's book which hasn't been translated yet.

Since that all occurs during the very start of development time we thought a "planned" status would be more accurate than a "considered" one as everything points to some early work being done for Chrom.

It's just unknown if some programming had occurred before Sakurai decided that Chrom was a mix between March and Ike and reevaluated his Fire Emblem character choice.

I know. I hope they never, EVER, make another handheld Smash game.

Quite a few of these I already knew about, however that battle damage one from brawl, I would have liked to see that "rage" mechanic in action. it sounds cool, probably was feasible, but something dumb had to have happened.

Really surprised to hear absolutely nothing about Daisy as a playable character in any development in smash. I would think Melee or Brawl since she was the tough tomboy character in the mario spin offs.
That's because Daisy sucks as a character and there are more people who hate her than people who like her. I personally despise her and I hope she never makes it in Smash.

Sakurai stated a moveset was created for him, therefore we believe his current location is accurate. Creating a moveset isn't an easy feat-- Sakurai takes hundreds of pictures of the microman figures in various poses in order to create a moveset. It's well documented in the GDC Slides, and another part of Sakurai's book which hasn't been translated yet.
Actually, he didn't state that he created a moveset for Chrom, merely that he thought up of one, only implying he was brainstorming a concept for Chrom rather than fully realising it like the actual planned newcomers, meaning that couldn't be used as an indication that Chrom was planned.

Also, all Sakurai stated was that Chrom was considered, which is the only official information we have on how far Chrom was in terms of the unusued fighters. Unless official confirmation states Chrom was actually planned, he shouldn't be in the planned section because that would potentially lead to a possible "Wolf in Melee" scenario where people would commonly believe that Sakurai planned Chrom even if further clarification from Sakurai confirms Chrom never was planned.

D
It's just unknown if some programming had occurred before Sakurai decided that Chrom was a mix between March and Ike and reevaluated his Fire Emblem character choice.
But...what about April?

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as I agree, the original idea for smash 4 was to be a 3DS exclusive title. As much as smashers didn't want that to be the only option, that was Sakurai's initial plan. It was only because Nintendo stepped in and said "Hey the Wii U's suffering, can we get this title on there as well" that we saw it for home consoles.
Sm4sh was going to be a 3DS exclusive? Then the Ice Climbers never stood a chance anyway...

Good choices, especially Blastoise. It would have been cool to have him in Smash, but I can see why Squirtle was chosen (for a first stage evolution fighter).
Yeah, but it would be so cool to be able to play as the fully evolved first starters Charizard, Blastoise & Venasaur. But ever sense Smash 4, I'd rather have them be separate characters like Sheik & Zelda or Samus or ZZS

Top Bottom