• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The definition of "broken" in gaming

Yoshipal13

Smash Journeyman
I'm having a debate, and I need your help.

Give me your definition of the word in videogames

As in: "That moveset is broken" or "That character is broken"

Thank you.

Mic_128

Wake up...
Administrator
BRoomer
Things can be broken as in they don't work, or broken as in too good (and thusly breaking the other characters/weapons/whatevers).

D

Deleted member

Broken:

It's not working as intended. Can be good or bad.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It means something is overpowered. Like people say Shieks down throw is overpowered because you can chaingrab the hell out of someone easily. They also say shiek is broken for some reason, I think it's because she was never meant to be used for getting faster KOs, only combos, but most people know how to KO easily with her.

Me14k

Smash Lord
Broken:

It's not working as intended. Can be good or bad.
Thats what I agree with.

Fox's shine is broken..set hit back, gimps.
Peach's D smash is broken...CC and take ton of damage. Huge hit box
falco's lasers...explanation needed?
while it could be bad...

M2's foward B
falcon's Down B

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
No no no. After playing Mortal Kombat online, people usually mean, when they say something is broken, is that it doesn't conform with the rest of the game's balance. An example would be MK3's Nightwolf character who was the most powerful one in the game and allowed for cheap playing. He was broken because instead of keeping the mesh that all characters can be played by anyone if they learn their style.

I could be wrong, I just remember this is what that community unspokenly explained it as.

pikachun00b7

Smash Lord
Broken has two meanings in gaming. One is that it is so powerful it is cheap and unfair. an example of this is using Rayquaza in a Pokemon battle since his base stats are too high to consider it fair(These Pokemon are known as uber-Pokemon). the other definition is a tactic in gaming that cannot be avoided/ or escaped. Luckily SSBM is not broken.

Xsyven

And how!
BRoomer
I'm with CK. I always thought of Broken to be considered unbalanced.

But at the same time, it can also mean cheap beyond reason, not supposed to be able to work one way (but it does somehow), glitchy, etc.

i.e., the IC infinite.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
So that IS an accepted definition? I kinda assumed it was just the MK community being stupid or something. Tight!

D

Deleted member

A move is also "broken" though, if it's not good enough. Mewtwo is broken in the sense that I don't think the devs intended for him to be that bad. IMO, he's not working in the way he should be.

The reason you usually use broken for being too good though is because you usually mistakenly make someone too good more often than making someone too bad.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame

BRoomer
BRoomer
I've come to conclude (based on the way I've heard/seen it used) that the term "broken", with relation to gaming, means that the subject overpowered. Obviously its a pretty lenient term (as most slang terms are) but it's usually used to describe something as maybe not entirely unfair or gamebreaking, but close to it.

notftomearth7

Smash Lord
On the blue planet next to the sun, can't miss it!
Broken=blocky

You can see the individual frames of animation during certain movements, like Game and Watch in Melee. Also, glitches that interfere with the flow of gameplay such as getting stuck in an area where you aren't supposed to get stuck. Not like stumped stuck, like unable to move stuck

Smash Master
Broken-an unintended programming flaw in a game's development, especially resulting in a move or character that unbalances the game, is uncounterable (or very nearly so), or is overpowered. E.g. Wobbling, the offensive capabilities of the shine, etc...

Obikun

Smash Apprentice
Broken-an unintended programming flaw in a game's development, especially resulting in a move or character that unbalances the game, is uncounterable (or very nearly so), or is overpowered. E.g. Wobbling, the offensive capabilities of the shine, etc...

Well I guess that definition made it all clear. Nice;)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
MK2 is the definition of broken characters. Fighting Raiden and Kitana has brought me to knew rage.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
Mileena wasn't in MK3 (though she was in Ultimate). The game died on MK3 when they added running and combos, but no combo breakers.

The problem with MK2 is after the first 3 or so people in the main game, you are faced with a serial killer-esque opponent who loves to throw. You will be thrown 10 times in both rounds and once the animation is engaged, you're ****ed. Trying to sweep? No dice. Kitana has a super powerful throw that really wreaks havoc on me.

Fortunately, I totally dominated someone online today as Sub-Zero. That made me feel better.

DH_Ninja

Smash Ace
i believe that rain and noob saibot are broken characters too. Lets see, the chainsaw gun in gears of war is broken, the thing sucks you in.

Obikun

Smash Apprentice
I believed the plasma sword on Halo 2 can also be considered as "broken". The thing can kill you with one strike. sick.:mad:

The_Corax_King

Smash Lord
I've always thought of "broken" meaning imbalanced (like zealots in starcraft :mad:).

Most common use I've heard on this site is describing Marth and Fox's shine...

I use the word to describe Zelda's moveset, since all her moves are so slow and disconnected...

Top Bottom