• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 'Dark Hunter' Awakens for Battle: Dark Samus ~SMASH CORRUPTED BY PHAZON

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Dark Samus as an Echo... did they plan this from the very start?

Funny how DS went from having nearly no hope to being one of the few left with hope. :D

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Dark Samus as an Echo... did they plan this from the very start?

Funny how DS went from having nearly no hope to being one of the few left with hope. :D
Yeah. Times change. Dark Samus went from having absolutely no chance to being all but confirmed. She would be a great choice for an Echo.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yeah. Times change. Dark Samus went from having absolutely no chance to being all but confirmed. She would be a great choice for an Echo.
I wouldn't as far as to say 'all but confirmed' but things do look a bit promising as far as being an echo fighter.

I'm curious though, if she does become an echo fighter, what sort of changes will be made to differ her from Samus? Cuz a 1:1 clone just won't cut it for her.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
I wouldn't as far as to say 'all but confirmed' but things do look a bit promising as far as being an echo fighter.

I'm curious though, if she does become an echo fighter, what sort of changes will be made to differ her from Samus? Cuz a 1:1 clone just won't cut it for her.
Probably hover for movement since that's how dark Samus moves

Neeed to figure out which attacks get swamped slight though

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I could see her as an echo fighter, but since (supposedly) she isn't coming back in Metroid Prime 4, I have my doubts. Also, super silly to have a Prime game with the Metroid Prime herself, but that is a subject for a different thread.

I adore Dark Samus. Such a fun antagonist. Fighting her is always thrilling in Prime 2 and 3. She was kinda boring as Metroid Prime, though.
She could have that tentacle stomp thing instead of morph ball and the rapid fire or the floating ball thingies instead of charge beam, just like she does in her Assist Trophy form. She would be quite different from Samus in terms of special moves, so she could have the same smash attacks and tilts to keep her status as an echo fighter.

Last edited:

PlasmaSnow12

Smash Cadet
I got my hopes up too, but keep in mind there are a few costumes that were shown off in the trailer that are not present, including the Alolan female hat Pikachu and Meta-Ridley costume. It seems to point more towards unlockable skins. I hope Dark Samus can make it in as a unique fighter, and I'd be disappointed but still somewhat satisfied if it makes it in as an Echo instead.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Dark Samus is being rated today, please come show your support.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
With Dark Samus alt being removed from Samus, and Dark Samus's AT being conspicuously missing in the onslaught of over 30 Assist Trophies (out of the planned 50 or so said to be in Ultimate), I'd say Dark Samus has potential to be an Echo Fighter.

Which would add not only a SECOND new Metroid rep, but another villain, too!

I'd say that she, along with Dixie, Chrom, and Shadow have good prospects for playable Echo status.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I never actually thought she'd make it in as a playable character after Sm4sh, but after seeing possibilities line up for her potential inclusion as an echo fighter I'm actually feeling pretty hopeful for her.

I'd be floored if we got Ridley, Dark Samus, and Sylux (assuming they're DLC) in the same game.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
With Dark Samus alt being removed from Samus, and Dark Samus's AT being conspicuously missing in the onslaught of over 30 Assist Trophies (out of the planned 50 or so said to be in Ultimate), I'd say Dark Samus has potential to be an Echo Fighter.

Which would add not only a SECOND new Metroid rep, but another villain, too!

I'd say that she, along with Dixie, Chrom, and Shadow have good prospects for playable Echo status.
If Dark Samus does make it in, then she will be the first ever playable female villain outside of alts.

dangeraaron10

Smash Master
If Dark Samus does make it in, then she will be the first ever playable female villain outside of alts.
Which is amazing. More villains in general make me happy for Smash. Not even necessarily to play as, but to pit heroes against villains.

QrowinSP

Smash Journeyman
Dark Samus Echo fighter potential changes (Take all or some)
  • Floatier
  • Faster and lighter
  • Hovers for standing, dashing, and walking animations
  • Any attack from arm cannon deals damage over time due to phazon
  • Charge shot has a spread effect
Anyone else got any? All the other changes I can think of involve outright changing move

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Dark Samus would also be the first playable character made in America.

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
Dark Samus Echo fighter potential changes (Take all or some)
  • Floatier
  • Faster and lighter
  • Hovers for standing, dashing, and walking animations
  • Any attack from arm cannon deals damage over time due to phazon
  • Charge shot has a spread effect
Anyone else got any? All the other changes I can think of involve outright changing move
1 and 2 are impossible if she's an echo. Echoes have the same weight, speed, and "general knockback" whatever that means, in addition to mostly the same moveset as the base character.

The DoT on her Phazon weapons sounds doable, and her missiles/charge shot/bombs could be flashier and do slightly different damage or have minor effects.

Probably think small for changes. Dark Pit only has a couple differences and we have to really see anything major from Daisy besides her side special maybe going a bit further.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Dark Samus would also be the first playable character made in America.
And only the second created outside of Japan.

----

In addition to her debut from Echoes, Dark Samus also has the ability to create clones of herself, of course these clones are officialy called 'Dark Echoes'

I mean, its just appropriate...

Still prefer a unique moveset however...

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
1 and 2 are impossible if she's an echo. Echoes have the same weight, speed, and "general knockback" whatever that means, in addition to mostly the same moveset as the base character.

The DoT on her Phazon weapons sounds doable, and her missiles/charge shot/bombs could be flashier and do slightly different damage or have minor effects.

Probably think small for changes. Dark Pit only has a couple differences and we have to really see anything major from Daisy besides her side special maybe going a bit further.
I mean, it’s too early to start pretending we know rules for Echoes. For all we know an Echo could have the exact same moveset but be a little floatier or a bit heavier.

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
I mean, it’s too early to start pretending we know rules for Echoes. For all we know an Echo could have the exact same moveset but be a little floatier or a bit heavier.
No, we actually do know the rules, it was explained to GameXplain by Bill Trinen. Same speed, weight, knock back and general moveset, with changes to animations and moves to make minor differences

GameXplain asked him why Pichu, Doc and Young Link weren’t echoes, and they went on to explain what an echo is and isn’t.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Thread is under new ownership, thanks to Wolfie557 Wolfie557 for the beautiful OP. Let’s hope for the best going forward in Smash Ultimate!

Malkior7

Majestic Space Pirate
NNID
Sagittarius
3DS FC
4167-5777-1464
I supported Dark Samus a long side Ridley a looong time ago back when Brawl was announced didn't think I'd see a time again when I'd support her again but I'm not against more Metroid representation (even as an Echo)

GM_3826

Smash Journeyman
Dark Samus seems like a pretty obvious choice for an echo fighter.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Which one would you want in Smash?
Personally I prefer her Echoes design...I like how it appears more "alien" compared to her more developed Corruption design.

I also hope that if she does get in she'll have an alt of her transparent form during her final battle in Echoes.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
So I just thought of something else to the common two reasons people believe Dark Samus might be an Echo.

Ridley has a brand new victory them unique from Samus. But it's not his signature theme. Instead he gets this rather ominous sounding tune.

Something that would also go well with Dark Samus

ned_ballad

Smash Apprentice
So I just thought of something else to the common two reasons people believe Dark Samus might be an Echo.

Ridley has a brand new victory them unique from Samus. But it's not his signature theme. Instead he gets this rather ominous sounding tune.

Something that would also go well with Dark Samus
Yea, I thought about that. I think I saw it brought up on ResetEra as a possible theory.

It would make sense, but at the same time, Bowser and Meta Knight just have remixes of their series' themes. Dark Pit and Rosalina are pretty unique in that respect.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I have to say one thing really quick.

While I'm not particularly a big fan of 'clone' characters in Smash since, they just pad the roster with multiples of the same moveset, as well as not taking advantage of a character's true potential as fighters (which would definitely be the case for Dark Samus).
One thing I do like is that now (since Ridley is finally a confirmed fighter as well as the introduction of 'Echo Fighters' in Ultimate and her MIA assist trophy and Samus alt) people are actually talking about Dark Samus as a potential fighter for Smash.

I mean it took over 10 years, but hey better late than never.

If she gets added as an echo fighter or otherwise, then I will feel like the Metroid lineup is complete.......until Metroid Prime 4 is released and everyone then starts asking for Sylux more intently. lol

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
I voted for Dark Samus in the ballot, as I've wanted her since Brawl. I'll take an Echo Fighter over nothing. Hell, I'd even have taken an alt costume for Samus, as odd as that would be given the animations and such. So an Echo Fighter is a step up, since it'll at least be aesthetically different in some major ways.

No, we actually do know the rules, it was explained to GameXplain by Bill Trinen. Same speed, weight, knock back and general moveset, with changes to animations and moves to make minor differences

GameXplain asked him why Pichu, Doc and Young Link weren’t echoes, and they went on to explain what an echo is and isn’t.
I figured Pichu, Doc, and Young Link weren't echoes because they differed in size and some elements of the moveset. Just like how Falco isn't an echo fighter now, but he was back in Melee, before they tweaked him over time to make him more distinct. Meanwhile, Link, Pikachu, and Mario have had some changes to their moveset since Melee, so the old Melee clones are no longer clones, since they still have their old moves.

However, I didn't expect Echo Fighters to be that similar. I wasn't familiar with the differences between Marth/Lucina or Pit/Dark Pit, so I wasn't sure if speed, weight, and other numbers were the same. Makes sense that they are, as that's a pretty major thing that requires fine-tuning, but it's disappointing that if Dark Samus is an Echo Fighter, there won't be any weight/speed differences.

I do think that we might be able to expect her to float, at least when dashing. We already have Cloud who floats when he dashes, I figure they could use the same principle on Dark Samus.

Last edited:

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
With Ridley finally being playable in Smash, I personally believe that Dark Samus is the next Metroid character that has potential to be playable. I can see her being an Echo fighter plus seeing Metroid getting two newcomers in one Smash title would be nothing short of amazing. Put me on the support list. I support Dark Samus for Smash Ultimate!

DarkFalcon

Smash Champion
I'll take her as an Echo over not getting her at all, but she's got so many unique things that her being an Echo would feel off, especially using Smash Samus as a base, who doesn't even utilize a lot of her abilities that she should utilize. Although her being an Echo would be a funny pun considering the name of the game she appeared in.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
I'll take her as an Echo over not getting her at all, but she's got so many unique things that her being an Echo would feel off, especially using Smash Samus as a base, who doesn't even utilize a lot of her abilities that she should utilize. Although her being an Echo would be a funny pun considering the name of the game she appeared in.
It's always possible that Dark Samus could get de-echo'd in the future. For now, I will take her as an echo fighter.

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
It's always possible that Dark Samus could get de-echo'd in the future. For now, I will take her as an echo fighter.
I imagine it would depend on if she makes it into future titles, which would be unlikely. The next Smash game will likely go back to the basics with a much smaller roster, so all the nonessential characters would be cut to make way for more new characters. Sakurai said as much, saying that the Switch game could either have been Ultimate as we know it, or a game with one third the roster size, but more new characters. Though I doubt Sakurai will work on another game after this, since this seems to be his swan song.

Should she be included in future titles, she'd likely get the Falco/Ganondorf treatment of being changed over time, so her moves and stats would be a little more unique.

Question is, should she be faster and lighter, or slower and heavier?

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I imagine it would depend on if she makes it into future titles, which would be unlikely. The next Smash game will likely go back to the basics with a much smaller roster, so all the nonessential characters would be cut to make way for more new characters. Sakurai said as much, saying that the Switch game could either have been Ultimate as we know it, or a game with one third the roster size, but more new characters. Though I doubt Sakurai will work on another game after this, since this seems to be his swan song.

Should she be included in future titles, she'd likely get the Falco/Ganondorf treatment of being changed over time, so her moves and stats would be a little more unique.

Question is, should she be faster and lighter, or slower and heavier?
I think faster and lighter would make more sense given her movement...she's not far from Mewtwo in this area and as we know he's pretty light but decently fast.

UltimateWario

Smash Master
I think having Dark Samus be an Echo of Samus would be pretty out of character for her. Dark Samus shares very little with Samus outside of appearance, firing things out of an arm cannon, and having a morph ball.

1. She never uses the Screw Attack.
2. She never uses Morph Ball Bombs.
3. She never uses the sort of missiles that Samus does.
4. She never fights hand to hand (neither did Samus before 64, though).
5. Her movements, personality, and tactics are completely different from Samus's.

I could see her being a clone of Samus if the Samus we get in Smash was anything like Samus in Metroid, but Smash Samus is kind of just a generic robot fighter that shares a name with and looks like Samus. Then again we have cases like Wario, who has five platformers and a beat 'em up to take moves from and he got a weird clown moveset, so I wouldn't really be surprised if we got a weird Robo Dark Samus.

Smashoperatingbuddy123

Smash Legend
There's only one problem if dark Samus being a echo

Do any of those attacks look like Samus attacks how can she be a echo?

But I will point out something the black pit alt was removed because of dark pit so if peach lost her daisy alt it's probably a slam dunk for the theory (chrom as well)

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I know as well as anyone that being a carbon copy clone is far from an accurate representation for Dark Samus, but with Ultimate there are two factors to take into consideration; 1) lack of time for newcomers due to the emphasis on bringing back all old fighters and 2) Dark Samus's body type is nearly identical in both size and shape as Samus. Making her a (no pun intended) prime candidate to be added as an echo fighter.

The best that I can hope for is that with the differences she has to Samus she'd be given a bit more time to refine her as her own character while still sharing a lot of Samus's attacks and animations. I really that if she is added Sakurai at least takes the time to explore more of her unique abilities but as of now I will gladly take an echo fighter over nothing at all...

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
There's only one problem if dark Samus being a echo

Do any of those attacks look like Samus attacks how can she be a echo?

But I will point out something the black pit alt was removed because of dark pit so if peach lost her daisy alt it's probably a slam dunk for the theory (chrom as well)
Also her Assist Trophy is pretty unique, so unlike Ganondorf there's a precedent of her having a unique moveset in Smash.

Last edited:

Diem

Agent of Phaaze
NNID
Luminoth_Prime
Well, of course Dark Samus shouldn't be an Echo Fighter. Her Assist Trophy shows obvious potential for a totally new moveset, as there's more differences between her and Samus than there are similarities. No one should be an Echo Fighter, really. When has Daisy ever used turnips?

But it's going to be the difference between something or nothing. Before Ridley was added, I thought that Dark Samus was the only viable Metroid rep left, as the issues holding Ridley back didn't apply to her. That's why, three years ago, I voted for her in the ballot, because I wanted a new Metroid rep and thought she was the best chance with Ridley being, at the time, disqualified. But now that there's Ridley, an antagonist that's appeared in almost every game and has been wanted since before Dark Samus even existed, giving Metroid a unique character at last, chances for Dark Samus, who's appeared in only two, are much slimmer.

Despite what some people want to believe, Dark Samus is dead and gone; Phazon was eradicated from the galaxy at the end of Metroid Prime 3. The prime (heh) opportunity for her appearance would have been in Brawl, but instead we got ZSS. So she's only getting less relevant as the days go by. If she is actually playable, it'll be a miracle. This is why some people sometimes suggest Sylux over Dark Samus, given that he's still alive and is supposed to play a major role in the upcoming games, but the problem is that his roles so far haven't been significant, and it's hard to justify "Oh he's not really worthy of a spot now, but someday he will be!"

Last edited:

Another K-2L Survivor

The Zebesian Swordsman
US / Somewhere in deep space. Probably the former.
NNID
The_Last_Taguel
3DS FC
2681-0963-8959
But it's going to be the difference between something or nothing.
This, 100%. Whether or not she should or shouldn’t be an Echo Fighter, it’s the best chance she’s ever going to have, and I’m more than happy to see her as an Echo than not at all.

Besides, even it if doesn’t make sense moveset wise, Dark Samus being and Echo fighter does make sense thematically, if you look at her Prime 2 portrayal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom