• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 'Dark Hunter' Awakens for Battle: Dark Samus ~SMASH CORRUPTED BY PHAZON

Status
Not open for further replies.

NintenRob

Rising YouTuber
NNID
trpdm.wilton
I'm happy with how they handled it.

Has a very Dark Samus feel and look despite still be an Echo.

DeadlyLampshade

Smash Apprentice
I'm disappointed by the news that she's an echo fighter but not really picking too hard because we still got her, she still feels very Dark Samus.

I love how she never touches her arm cannon, like she has total mastery of it. But also how she moves with an unsettling zombie like quality.

I guess when I call it zombie like, is really just the calculated, emotionless way she moves.

Last edited:

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
I'm disappointed by the news that she's an echo fighter but not really picking too hard because we still got her, she still feels very Dark Samus.

I love how she never touches her arm cannon, like she has total mastery of it. But also how she moves with an unsettling zombie like quality.

I guess when I call it zombie like, is really just the calculated, emotionless way she moves.
Yes, she has a very uncanny way of moving. It also looks so effortless. It is like she doesn't even care about fighting, she is just doing it because "well I am already here, so why not". All we need now (aside from an unique moveset in the next Smash) is her laugh as one of her taunts.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Yes, she has a very uncanny way of moving. It also looks so effortless. It is like she doesn't even care about fighting, she is just doing it because "well I am already here, so why not". All we need now (aside from an unique moveset in the next Smash) is her laugh as one of her taunts.
I see it more as she has such overwhelming confidence in her Phazon that she lets it "move" her body. Who needs grace and discipline when you have Phazon!?

Altais

Smash Champion
Starbase, where no turtle has gone before.
Dark Samus was definitely one Echo Fighter I was expecting, so I was not the least bit surprised by her reveal. That said, it's nice to see more Metroid characters besides Samus.

Sadly, I was never good with Samus in previous Smash games, so I don't expect to be good with Dark Samus either. Nevertheless, I think they captured Dark Samus perfectly, in terms of animation.

domriver

Smash Lord
I just wanted to drop in here and congratulate you people for getting your character in. Echo or not. Dark Samus is joining the battle. I do enjoy how she moves floaty. My brother is very excited for Dark Samus. My hope is for Geno. :D Congratus once again and have fun with Dark Samus.

Iridium

Smash Hero
So, is nearly everyone going to simply ditch Samus for Dark Samus? I mean, I like Dark Samus a lot, but I honestly will still try both.

However, having a normal roll does help her more than Samus, so . . .

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
So, is nearly everyone going to simply ditch Samus for Dark Samus? I mean, I like Dark Samus a lot, but I honestly will still try both.

I ended up with 42 frames for Dark Samus' roll. Samus' roll in SSBU from the Samus versus Ridley battle from the 2018 invitational is 38 frames. It appears to have a 10.53% increase in frames on the second roll, however, making Samus' second roll 42 frames. Now, consider in the video that Dark Samus air-dodged first before rolling. It would appear then that the dodging mechanic includes dodge, air-dodge, and rolling as all one and the same, as ZeRo has suspected. This means Dark Samus' roll may just be the same as Samus' roll in terms of frames. It just looks different.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Wait, so ESAM was wrong when he noticed this, or no? He got this impression first.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Wait, so ESAM was wrong when he noticed this, or no? He got this impression first.
Samus's roll is faster compared to past games, so Dark Samus's follows suit in that regard. Animation has nothing to do with frames when it can be sped up or slowed down at a whim. That should tell the depths of ESAM's "analysis" :facepalm:.

Last edited:

Iridium

Smash Hero
Samus's roll is faster compared to past games, so Dark Samus's follows suit in that regard. Animation has nothing to do with frames when it can be sped up or slowed down at a whim.
Okay. I don't want to mess things up because of the hype. Good to know!

Reila

I will play both because I don't actually main the Metroid folks (though that could change this time). I play them sometimes for fun because Metroid is awesome.

Iridium

Smash Hero
I will play both because I don't actually main the Metroid folks (though that could change this time). I play them sometimes for fun because Metroid is awesome.
Yeah, I agree. Definitely will be fun characters to play in my spare time.

Also, sorry for snapping at you at that player finder thread for SSB4, if you remember. I was very cranky that day, and I don't mean harm on you.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I think their echo appearance bodes really well to Dark Samus becoming Luigi-fied in future instalments? What do you guys think?

Regardless; Dark Samus is looking even cooler than Samus tbh and has really sparked my interest :3

RetroMetalSonic

Smash Journeyman
NNID
retrog97
Coming in here a bit late, but congrats on getting Dark Samus! She was one of my most wanted characters as well, so I'm glad that she's in.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Non smash-related topic, do you think DS will return to MP4?
Maybe her amiibo could give her and Phazon a cameo for a super hard difficulty mode or something, but I don't think her Smash status will change Tanabe's mind on otherwise being done with her in the Prime sub-series; at least that way she could still be around but without overstaying her welcome... Although Prime 3's ending was commonly seen as rushed, still think it was a fitting enough sendoff for her.

Reila

I think their echo appearance bodes really well to Dark Samus becoming Luigi-fied in future instalments? What do you guys think?

Regardless; Dark Samus is looking even cooler than Samus tbh and has really sparked my interest :3
I think with the roster having 70+ fighters, the only thing they have to work with for the next Smash is fleshing out (or "Luigi-fying") echo fighters, unless they ditch the competitive side of Smash and make it a full blown party game. Or turn it into a MOBA, heh. I have a feeling the likes of Dark Pit, Dark Samus, Daisy and others will have unique movesets (or uniquer, at least) in Smash 6.

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
I think with the roster having 70+ fighters, the only thing they have to work with for the next Smash is fleshing out (or "Luigi-fying") echo fighters, unless they ditch the competitive side of Smash and make it a full blown party game. Or turn it into a MOBA, heh. I have a feeling the likes of Dark Pit, Dark Samus, Daisy and others will have unique movesets (or uniquer, at least) in Smash 6.
I'm one of the people who doesn't care much about the purely competitive scene so I'd be okay with either outcomes honestly lol xD Dark Samus and Dark Pit are definitely priorities for updates though

Reila

I'm one of the people who doesn't care much about the purely competitive scene so I'd be okay with either outcomes honestly lol xD Dark Samus and Dark Pit are definitely priorities for updates though
Yeah, I also don't care what route they choose for the series. But looking at what we know of Smash Ultimate, it seems clear that they care about the competitive side, otherwise the game wouldn't have a bunch of features that help competitive play, not to mention I believe the roster would be even bigger (in terms of unique newcomers) just like the previous titles.

Right, Dark Pit has so much to borrow from. There are many weapons in Kid Icarus Uprising that he could use.

link2702

Smash Champion
So what differences gameplay wise does Dark Samus even actually have aside from a normal roll?

I really wish Nintendo would make the clon- i mean echo fighters stand out a bit more, a lot of them seem so similar to their base character they might as well be skins like the koopalings...

Last edited:

Reila

So what differences gameplay wise does Dark Samus even actually have aside from a normal roll?

I really wish Nintendo would make the clon- i mean echo fighters stand out a bit more, a lot of them seem so similar to their base character they might as well be skins like the koopalings...
You are missing the point of echo fighters. They exist exactly because it doesn't take nearly as much time and resources to bring them to Smash, precisely because they are extremely similar to the original fighters. If that bothers you so much, you can always play a non-echo or wait and pray that they improve echo fighters in the next game.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

Please tell me you are only referring to the animation of the roll. Because "normal roll" can mean a lot of things.

All echo fighters differ mainly in the effects of their moves rather than having different ones. The issue is explaining those is likely to bore or fly over the heads of casual players, so the devs leave it up to the players to discover themselves. Dark Samus in particular appears to have lower base knockback on a number of moves leading to greater combo potential over regular Samus, possibly at the cost of raw kill power however.

Even if there were absolutely no differences whatsovever, what difference does it really make if they're labeled as skins or echos? That's why the option exists to either mash together or keep separate corresponding fighters on the character select, whatever your mind is more comfortable with.

Last edited:

OptimisticStrifer

Smash Champion
It's amazing to think that I've only recently become an adult and i've lived three different smash games. I hope I live to see Dark Samus luigified too lmao

Dan

Smash Lord
I'm gonna preface this by saying I'm a fan and supporter of this character and I'm glad she got in, but I'm surprised she did; Sakurai acted like she was an automatic shoe-in, but to me she was like a top 50 newcomer. I mean, the support thread was three pages long. I was shocked to see Chrom as well, as I felt he fell off after Sm4sh.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
I'm gonna preface this by saying I'm a fan and supporter of this character and I'm glad she got in, but I'm surprised she did; Sakurai acted like she was an automatic shoe-in, but to me she was like a top 50 newcomer. I mean, the support thread was three pages long. I was shocked to see Chrom as well, as I felt he fell off after Sm4sh.
Well, "you may have seen this coming" could refer to how everyone immediately started assuming Dark Samus would be an echo for Samus once the term was coined.

Dan

Smash Lord
Well, "you may have seen this coming" could refer to how everyone immediately started assuming Dark Samus would be an echo for Samus once the term was coined.
I still don't understand this; it's not like an Echo is something new. Clones have been around since 64. Why did this increase Dark Samus' chances more than any other Echo?

IronTed

Smash Ace
Unless I am totally forgetting, didn't Sakurai only comment on the fact Chrom and Dark Samus were popular requests? I guess for Sakurai being popular and being clonable makes a character an easy inclusion.

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I still don't understand this; it's not like an Echo is something new. Clones have been around since 64. Why did this increase Dark Samus' chances more than any other Echo?
This on it's own didn't really "increase her chances"

But with the fact that at the time her Assist Trophy was yet to be confirmed, and the fact that Samus's alt based on Dark Samus was changed. Paired with the new concept of echo fighters, that really changed people's perspective on her chances.

Also Ridley being confirmed may have helped as well...since the whole idea of "Ridley must come first" wouldn't get in the way.

Zem-raj

Smash Hero
I'm glad that Dark Samus joined Ridley (my most wanted character) in Smash Ultimate.

Metroid representation is pretty solid at present, playable character wise.

I think we've got enough characters for now.

Samus (Protagonist), Zero Suit Samus (Protagonist alt), Ridley (Main Antagonist), Dark Samus (Metroid species rep, Prime series rep)...

What a lineup.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
This may be coming super late but as a big supporter of Chrom, I felt it was only appropriate to congratulate the supporters of the other Echo Fighter that made it into Smash last week! I've only played through the first Prime game so I don't personally have any strong feelings for Dark Samus, but damn I'd be lying if I said she didn't look cool as hell! It's a crazy thing to see Metroid double its roster like that but boy does it feel good.

Last edited:

PlasmWraith

Smash Apprentice
So Dark Samus is today's Blog Post, I wonder if when it says "With floatier movement, it's a little different from Samus" they mean that Dark Samus is actually floatier than Samus, rather than it just being about her animations.

TMNTSSB4

Smash Obsessed
NNID
No More
3DS FC
3368-4469-9312
Switch FC
SW-6414-0526-7609
Very good style of Dark Samus...and also bad***

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom