• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 'Dark Hunter' Awakens for Battle: Dark Samus ~SMASH CORRUPTED BY PHAZON

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Yo, check out her victory animation at the end of her character video:

Top drawer stuff.

Zyphyris

Smash Rookie
NNID
Bri-ex
3DS FC
0001-4098-4797
Switch FC
SW-8496-2727-8390
I was mostly silent during the direct, but Dark Samus was the first character to actually make me scream. (And one of the only 2 that weren't spoiled for me)

mortal1385

Smash Rookie
I wasn't expecting her to get in honestly but congrats to you guys for getting your character!

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Metroid is complete until Prime 4 makes Slyux important. Glad to come this far after taking over. Also, since I own this thread I will have dark samus as a secondary.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I'm so freakin' happy to see Dark Samus actually playable. To me, Metroid representation is now perfect, I don't think there's anything else I want from the series in Smash, except for maybe Sylux (though I'm still waiting on their portrayal in MP4 to make any final thoughts).

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
"Echo" fighter is appropriate I must say...
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Victory screen with her Dark Echo...

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
Is this thread going to be moved over to the Samus/Dark Samus subforum or is it just going to remain here for some reason?

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
Nice.. i honestly didn't saw DS worjing too much as an echo becasue how different she moves from samus... buuuut considering the ammount of work they put to adress that problem... i say this is amazing!

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
What a glorious day! I've been hyped for K. Rool, but at the same time I am so glad that Dark Samus got in too! It's amazing that in Ultimate, Metroid gets two newcomers in Ridley and Dark Samus after Samus was literally the only Metroid representative after four Smash games. I am extremely satisfied with Metroid representation as far as playable characters. I can't ask for anything more.

Last edited:

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
Congrats Dark Samus supporters. Although it would have been nice for her to be a semi-clone, being in is all that matters.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Shouldn't this thread be in the Dark Samus subforum by now?

Also, looks like we called it.

Congrats on getting in Miss America.

WertQuadNine

Smash Journeyman
Today... today has been a good day :)

I know plenty of us would've preferred an oc character, but I'm very happy with this result since it's much (much) better than nothing.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Congrats guys! And especially Aetheri Aetheri who I know is ecstatic about this.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I just realized that Dark Samus is the second character who got promoted from assist to playable. I hope a few others follow suit.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
Likewise. I'm wondering which other past assist trophies could get into the base roster. I feel that Issac has the best shot now. Dillon and Saki have a good shot at this point.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Likewise. I'm wondering which other past assist trophies could get into the base roster. I feel that Issac has the best shot now. Dillon and Saki have a good shot at this point.
Out of those I could definitely see Isaac, but not the others. That is, if Isaac isn't in the main roster. This game is focused on requested fighters, after all.
You know, I think hers is the only showcase on the site that actually has a victory animation to show.
That victory animation is such a tease. Imagine if Dark Samus had a moveset based on her "cloning" ability? That was one of the coolest things in her boss fight in Prime Echoes.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I just realized that Dark Samus is the second character who got promoted from assist to playable. I hope a few others follow suit.
Second Assist Trophy, third overall after Charizard from Melee to Brawl.

Ironcially, her floaty physics make more sense on her than the one she's echoing.

Ultinarok

Smash Lord
I think yesterday's direct made me a Dark Samus supporter. An unfortunate bias towards cookie cutter "Dark doubles" that linger all around Nintendo games made me avoid ever showing interest in the character, even though I knew full well she'd be far different than just "edgy Samus". I always thought she'd be cool but just never paid her any mind.

I'm starting to see how cool she is and how important and integral she is to Metroid, having never played a Prime game. A part of me now wishes she'd gotten better than an Echo and had been a semi clone instead. Nonetheless congrats guys, she looks awesome.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
And I very much hope it follows even into the DLC.
Out of those I could definitely see Isaac, but not the others. That is, if Isaac isn't in the main roster. This game is focused on requested fighters, after all.

That victory animation is such a tease. Imagine if Dark Samus had a moveset based on her "cloning" ability? That was one of the coolest things in her boss fight in Prime Echoes.
I agree with that Issac is the most likely among previous ATs to be a playable character. I think Saki and Dillon could be dark horse contenders that could surprise people. Depends on how many more ATs are left to reveal.
Second Assist Trophy, third overall after Charizard from Melee to Brawl.

Ironcially, her floaty physics make more sense on her than the one she's echoing.
Oh that's right I forgot about that.

Space Detective

Smash Journeyman
I agree with that Issac is the most likely among previous ATs to be a playable character. I think Saki and Dillon could be dark horse contenders that could surprise people. Depends on how many more ATs are left to reveal.
I'm sure anyone could guess which AT I most want to see become playable.

Along with the obvious Ashley though, I'd love to see Zero make the leap.

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I've been a bit delayed in my reactions, wasn't able to do much beyond watch the Direct yesterday (it's still only just now hitting me that it actually happened)

Having been one of the founders of the original Dark Samus for Smash thread/group on this site (Brawl being our first foray into the wonderful world that is Smash Bros. speculation disappointment, of course), I've always been hopeful that one day we would get more than just "a little love" for my favorite series. I've been equally hyped for Ridley each game, despite most seeing him as a counterpart ("only one or the other, not both" and being told neither would ever happen, making this all the sweeter). Unlike the disappointment with Ridley's previous portrayals that was commonplace (his boss iterations being more punching bag/pinata than bosses proper, the downgrade in design choice that was Other M, even neither version of Ridley's theme not playing on Norfair of all things, which has thankfully also been remedied this time around), I would just be glad whenever we would get Dark Samus acknowledged at all in game, given the reception for Prime is not nearly as well-off as it is primarily viewed as a western studio and the FPS (semantics aside) genre not doing as well in Japan as a whole. The trophy and stickers in Brawl were of MP2 model Dark Samus, given Prime 3 had actually not come out in Japan by that time, so the Mercenaries (what we went by at the time) had hoped that Dark Samus being added to Smash would in turn help further promote the source games there for people that were unfamiliar with her/Metroid Prime (reverse Corrin situation). Lo and behold, been seeing just that over the past day & 1/2 that it's been since the reveal.

I tried to not get too excited as time passed and the original Metroid Prime trilogy strayed further from relevance, but still held all the hope even after Dark Samus was confirmed as both an assist and palette swap in Smash 4 (I didn't think of Echo Fighter/clones as we knew them at the time so much as I thought of Little Mac being able to make the jump/promotion to playable, but I also didn't dismiss the notion as a reason for/against Dark Samus in future titles). We hit an obvious low after 4 was said and done for Metroid representation in Smash, so things looked bleakest around the time Federation Force became known. It seemed Sakurai only cared about the "base Metroid" (original trilogy, with only 2 stages not being based on Zebes) and Samus alone (versions forms of her fighting aside) would carry the burden of representing a whole series, despite being there since 64, which makes it sound like she's akin to Captain Falcon (not a bad thing in the sense that I'm an F-Zero fan, but for being a supposed "major series" of Nintendo, that hurt deeply). More and more people grew resentful at every idea at the time for more Metroid representation (Ridley had the confirmation from Sakurai interviews as being too big/"wouldn't be himself anymore" if they changed his proportions, "Dark Samus would just be another Samus," Other M/FF sucked/didn't need representation and Sylux at the time had no Prime 4 confirmation or Wii U game period coming anytime soon). Despite the ballot seeming like a sinking ship along with any continued support threads once 4's DLC was over (locking some of the disconfirmed character threads such as Ridley's was hard for me to do despite it eventually being a unanimous decision among the staff), I held onto hope that "next time would be different" mentality in some tiny part of my mind. Stuff kind of blurred together at the time, at least until the rumors became more and more likely for things (Switch/NX, more interviews mentioning the plans for Prime 4/Sylux up until the eventual reveal of both that and Samus Returns etc.).

Coming into this specific pre-speculation cycle was equal parts unexpected and exciting (Inklings/a Switch Smash Bros getting revealed hit a "genuine excitement" high that I hadn't experienced for any other Smash reveal since Mewtwo returning was announced, and it lasted me all the way to E3). I hardly felt like tempering my expectations, given this time around seemed like it had all of the potential going in (didn't even care if it was "Switch port"), but given my natural pessimism I also didn't want to hold my breath for anything until we saw just what we were dealing with. Naturally, I was blown away by "Everyone is here" (leak implications aside, I wanted to see no cuts for the sake of building this up to be the ultimate Smash Bros, which wouldn't you know it they did exactly that), got utterly destroyed by finally getting Ridley playable (I didn't write one of these for him because so many others summed up my exact feelings on it), and was intrigued by the premise of Echo Fighters (I didn't think we needed to think "everyone could/should/would be an echo" by any means but I thought it gave a shot to those that would otherwise be seen as unlikely/impossible). Then as information started trickling down, we saw no signs of Dark Samus as an AT, and then the huge point that was Samus herself had an alteration to her black palette, and the rest was basically played out a few pages ago.

Had once again, no idea what to expect as this recent Direct started apart from having some suspicions (Simon leak the night before), went in with complete excitement from the start since we got the immediate trailer. I freaked out probably the hardest I could when I saw "2 new echo fighters," to the point of letting my voice get embarrassingly high pitched in the call I was in. Chrom was awesome to see solely for those that supported him the hardest throughout it all, and the small moment of "wait he has different moves from different characters" which shattered the whole "echo fighters have to be 1:1" left me completely vulnerable for what happened next. I heard the Metroid music and snapped back in, still in disbelief that by this point we got 3 character reveals and were about to get another. The intro to the song was met with me saying "Nooooooooooo, no way, nope this can't be" before the screen went from black to the blue entrance effect. Seeing the model left me dumbfounded, and the trailer played out with me as hyped as I could be. We got not just 1, but 2 new Metroid reps. After all those years of people saying it'd never happen. The scene in the gameplay footage of Ridley, Dark Samus, Mother Brain and a Metroid all next to each other was more than I could have dreamed even back during those super-hopeful/optimistic Brawl days. Then it was immediately followed by the scene of Dark Samus and Meta Ridley 2v1ing Samus (I'd say that sounds like a bad fanfic in any other context), which just drove the point home.

I love the model's attention to detail, animations, the personality in the attacks (see Super Missile animation), the references in the victory screen (assuming she's sharing Ridley's victory theme), and of course just how awesome it is seeing this be the actual "Metroid characters" section on the official Smash Bros website.

I can completely see why people wouldn't be satisfied with Echo Fighter over being unique (or even a semiclone), but as I said before, this is a good start. And above all, I'm just happen to finally see my dream come to fruition. Seeing Ridley and Dark Samus will probably never stop being surreal after all this time.

Is this thread going to be moved over to the Samus/Dark Samus subforum or is it just going to remain here for some reason?
I was hesitant in moving this over because we already had a Social thread in the actual Samus/Dark Samus subforum (gonna take some time for me to get used to saying that). I figure since this thread came first, I can at least leave it up for a while so people can celebrate/post their reactions/etc. before locking it.

Of course this being the case only with TCT~Phantom TCT~Phantom permission.

Will there be an eventual Dark Samus Discord group? That'd be pretty neat.
The way the other echo fighter Discords have traditionally worked is the same way we have these subforums set up, with there being a single Discord to cover both (I'm at least aware that Marth/Lucina and Pit/Dark Pit do it this way). The Samus Discord just recently announced they're following the formers' example.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
I was hesitant in moving this over because we already had a Social thread in the actual Samus/Dark Samus subforum (gonna take some time for me to get used to saying that). I figure since this thread came first, I can at least leave it up for a while so people can celebrate/post their reactions/etc. before locking it.

I'm just glad this thread made its way to its proper place, even if it's going to be locked. All the other character support threads that got confirmed yesterday were moved to their respective forums, so it feels right that the same follows through with the Dark Samus thread.

But yeah, it's honestly surreal that this is finally happening to Metroid, one of those franchises I always felt deep down would never get much love from Smash because of its relatively niche status in Japan. And that this just happens to be in Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, makes this the definitive Smash experience IMO.

BravadoMan_13

Smash Lord
NNID
ClassicRocker
I'm sure anyone could guess which AT I most want to see become playable.

Along with the obvious Ashley though, I'd love to see Zero make the leap.
K. Rool was my most wanted newcomer and now that K. Rool is konfirmed Waluigi has moved up to my most wanted newcomer overall. So yes he is the top AT for me to be playable someday. My other picks include Issac, Dillon, Saki, Krystal, Takamaru, Knuckles and maybe a few more.
I've been a bit delayed in my reactions, wasn't able to do much beyond watch the Direct yesterday (it's still only just now hitting me that it actually happened)

Having been one of the founders of the original Dark Samus for Smash thread/group on this site (Brawl being our first foray into the wonderful world that is Smash Bros. speculation disappointment, of course), I've always been hopeful that one day we would get more than just "a little love" for my favorite series. I've been equally hyped for Ridley each game, despite most seeing him as a counterpart ("only one or the other, not both" and being told neither would ever happen, making this all the sweeter). Unlike the disappointment with Ridley's previous portrayals that was commonplace (his boss iterations being more punching bag/pinata than bosses proper, the downgrade in design choice that was Other M, even neither version of Ridley's theme not playing on Norfair of all things, which has thankfully also been remedied this time around), I would just be glad whenever we would get Dark Samus acknowledged at all in game, given the reception for Prime is not nearly as well-off as it is primarily viewed as a western studio and the FPS (semantics aside) genre not doing as well in Japan as a whole. The trophy and stickers in Brawl were of MP2 model Dark Samus, given Prime 3 had actually not come out in Japan by that time, so the Mercenaries (what we went by at the time) had hoped that Dark Samus being added to Smash would in turn help further promote the source games there for people that were unfamiliar with her/Metroid Prime (reverse Corrin situation). Lo and behold, been seeing just that over the past day & 1/2 that it's been since the reveal.

I tried to not get too excited as time passed and the original Metroid Prime trilogy strayed further from relevance, but still held all the hope even after Dark Samus was confirmed as both an assist and palette swap in Smash 4 (I didn't think of Echo Fighter/clones as we knew them at the time so much as I thought of Little Mac being able to make the jump/promotion to playable, but I also didn't dismiss the notion as a reason for/against Dark Samus in future titles). We hit an obvious low after 4 was said and done for Metroid representation in Smash, so things looked bleakest around the time Federation Force became known. It seemed Sakurai only cared about the "base Metroid" (original trilogy, with only 2 stages not being based on Zebes) and Samus alone (versions forms of her fighting aside) would carry the burden of representing a whole series, despite being there since 64, which makes it sound like she's akin to Captain Falcon (not a bad thing in the sense that I'm an F-Zero fan, but for being a supposed "major series" of Nintendo, that hurt deeply). More and more people grew resentful at every idea at the time for more Metroid representation (Ridley had the confirmation from Sakurai interviews as being too big/"wouldn't be himself anymore" if they changed his proportions, "Dark Samus would just be another Samus," Other M/FF sucked/didn't need representation and Sylux at the time had no Prime 4 confirmation or Wii U game period coming anytime soon). Despite the ballot seeming like a sinking ship along with any continued support threads once 4's DLC was over (locking some of the disconfirmed character threads such as Ridley's was hard for me to do despite it eventually being a unanimous decision among the staff), I held onto hope that "next time would be different" mentality in some tiny part of my mind. Stuff kind of blurred together at the time, at least until the rumors became more and more likely for things (Switch/NX, more interviews mentioning the plans for Prime 4/Sylux up until the eventual reveal of both that and Samus Returns etc.).

Coming into this specific pre-speculation cycle was equal parts unexpected and exciting (Inklings/a Switch Smash Bros getting revealed hit a "genuine excitement" high that I hadn't experienced for any other Smash reveal since Mewtwo returning was announced, and it lasted me all the way to E3). I hardly felt like tempering my expectations, given this time around seemed like it had all of the potential going in (didn't even care if it was "Switch port"), but given my natural pessimism I also didn't want to hold my breath for anything until we saw just what we were dealing with. Naturally, I was blown away by "Everyone is here" (leak implications aside, I wanted to see no cuts for the sake of building this up to be the ultimate Smash Bros, which wouldn't you know it they did exactly that), got utterly destroyed by finally getting Ridley playable (I didn't write one of these for him because so many others summed up my exact feelings on it), and was intrigued by the premise of Echo Fighters (I didn't think we needed to think "everyone could/should/would be an echo" by any means but I thought it gave a shot to those that would otherwise be seen as unlikely/impossible). Then as information started trickling down, we saw no signs of Dark Samus as an AT, and then the huge point that was Samus herself had an alteration to her black palette, and the rest was basically played out a few pages ago.

Had once again, no idea what to expect as this recent Direct started apart from having some suspicions (Simon leak the night before), went in with complete excitement from the start since we got the immediate trailer. I freaked out probably the hardest I could when I saw "2 new echo fighters," to the point of letting my voice get embarrassingly high pitched in the call I was in. Chrom was awesome to see solely for those that supported him the hardest throughout it all, and the small moment of "wait he has different moves from different characters" which shattered the whole "echo fighters have to be 1:1" left me completely vulnerable for what happened next. I heard the Metroid music and snapped back in, still in disbelief that by this point we got 3 character reveals and were about to get another. The intro to the song was met with me saying "Nooooooooooo, no way, nope this can't be" before the screen went from black to the blue entrance effect. Seeing the model left me dumbfounded, and the trailer played out with me as hyped as I could be. We got not just 1, but 2 new Metroid reps. After all those years of people saying it'd never happen. The scene in the gameplay footage of Ridley, Dark Samus, Mother Brain and a Metroid all next to each other was more than I could have dreamed even back during those super-hopeful/optimistic Brawl days. Then it was immediately followed by the scene of Dark Samus and Meta Ridley 2v1ing Samus (I'd say that sounds like a bad fanfic in any other context), which just drove the point home.

I love the model's attention to detail, animations, the personality in the attacks (see Super Missile animation), the references in the victory screen (assuming she's sharing Ridley's victory theme), and of course just how awesome it is seeing this be the actual "Metroid characters" section on the official Smash Bros website.

I can completely see why people wouldn't be satisfied with Echo Fighter over being unique (or even a semiclone), but as I said before, this is a good start. And above all, I'm just happen to finally see my dream come to fruition. Seeing Ridley and Dark Samus will probably never stop being surreal after all this time.

The way the other echo fighter Discords have traditionally worked is the same way we have these subforums set up, with there being a single Discord to cover both (I'm at least aware that Marth/Lucina and Pit/Dark Pit do it this way). The Samus Discord just recently announced they're following the formers' example.
Well said. I for once am completed satisfied with the Metroid playable character representation. Samus, Ridley, and Dark Samus are all I wanted and we got all three. It's literally perfect.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom