• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The 'Dark Hunter' Awakens for Battle: Dark Samus ~SMASH CORRUPTED BY PHAZON

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
She is cold, calculating and merciless. One of the AT's in Smash4 but has enough potential to be a really hype promotion. Dark Samus has appeared in a secret ending of Metroid Prime while being a central character and final boss of Prime 2 and the main antagonist of Prime 3. Her personality changes greatly between Echoes and Corruption. In Echoes, she's portrayed as unstable and unpredictable, shown by her maniacal laughter and chaotic attack patterns. In Corruption, she's significantly calmer. She's shown to be quite cunning, capable of long-range planning, and remains calm even if her plans are not going accordingly

ABILITIES
It is able to utilise many abilities Samus can, albiet in a much more powerful form e.g the two types of Phazon beam being either small shard-like bursts or a thin laser beam which can be shot in an arc. It is also capable of doing:
  • a powerful dive bomb attack (combination of Phazon based Screwattack and Shinespark)
  • Phazon boost ball
  • massive beam of pure concentrated phazon
  • Dark Echoes aka clones of herself
  • able to manipulate and channel Phazon energy at will
  • Giant Phazon pillars
  • can regenerate from any injury except ones that disrupt the being at an atomic level
  • looks so cool!!

Arguments FOR
  • A newcomer for the Metroid series
  • A villain!!!
  • Has many abilities which look reallly cool so the wider market may find this character more appealing than many hardcore smash fans.
  • A new and objectively viable character (unfortunatley unlike Ridley in Sakurai's eyes, at least for now).
  • Will play very differently from Samus
  • potentially Samus grab as a non-grab attack!
  • Would be awesome to see another anti-hero type character, like Dark Pit for Pit or Wario for Mario.
  • Will give Smash a new vibe to play as

Arguments AGAINST
  • lacks recency which has rececntly proved a pretty relevant factor when deciding who gets in. (but so does Metroid as a series. Prime Hunters does not exist)
  • competition with Ridely and the Hunters e.g Slyux or Rundus
  • some don't like the idea of '3 Samuses' in one game. (lol Dark Samus is NOT Samus, merely resembles her)
  • too cool for some.
  • dead in canon.
  • danger of being a clone of Samus to some extent

COOL GIFS & SCREENSHOTS - a taste of her promotion

MOVESETS
Dark Samus B Specials
Phazon Cannon is Dark Samus’ Neutral B attack. Pressing B once will result in three separate Phazon energy shots to travel across the stage. They last around 6 seconds and deals 2% Dark damage for each energy ball. It does 6% damage if hit fully. It can be fired repeatedly by hitting B. Holding down B while cause a Phazon laser to shoot out. It usually takes 6 seconds to charge. Once fired, the beam will shoot out but will end when it reaches a certain length. It lasts around 8 seconds and Dark Samus cannot move during this period. The Phazon laser does 3% every hit and can do up to 10 hits. In total it does 30% Dark damage.
Phazon Pillar is Dark Samus' Side B move. Dark Samus unleashes a series of phazon pillars that either erupt from the ground or appear in thin-air if Dark Samus is in the air. It is a chargeable attack that, when charged, determines how far the Phazon Pillars will travel. If uncharged, it only does three Phazon Pillars and travels about 3 1/2 Dark Samus bodies away. However, a fully charged attack will unleash up to six pillars that will travel 6 1/2 Dark Samus bodies away. It has the ability to travel the entire length of a small stage on Fountain of Dreams or Pokemon Stadium. However, if it hits a wall, it will stop. Each pillar is able to be sweetspotted in it hits right at the point at the top of the pillar but the highest amount of knock back from the sweetspot is the last fully charged pillar. All the others do below average knock back when sweetspotted.

Phazon Boost is Dark Samus’ recovery move and Up B move. Dark Samus propels herself up by using Phazon. Holding B will cause her to continue to soar higher. She can stay in the air for a total of 10 seconds if the player holds down B without stopping. The propulsion is slower though so she is somewhat vulnerable to camping.

Dark Echo is Dark Samus’ Down B move. Dark Samus flips backwards and a Dark Echo dashes out. A Dark Echo, physically, is the same as Samus but it’s speed and strength has been nerfed. In fact, is strength does out a 3rd of the original damage. So a basic attack only does 1-3% damage. The Dark Echo will run, jump, and attack other characters. However, if it gets hit with enough damage, it will vanish. Being hit 1 to 4 times with a basic attack or once with a powerful attack will cause it to vanish. It lasts for 15 seconds before it vanishes. If it is destroyed or vanishes, it releases a powerful Phazon blast that does 12% Dark damage and high knock back. If Dark Samus presses Down B again to summon a Dark Echo while another Dark Echo is on the screen, it will vanish immediately with no explosion and the new Dark Echo will dash out. Two Dark Echoes can’t be in play at the same time.

Final Smash

Aurora Unit is Dark Samus’ Final Smash. Dark Samus’ merges with the Aurora Unit and becomes a giant mechanical being comprised of dark matter and Phazon. Dark Samus/Aurora Unit sits behind the stage and attacks that way.

- Pressing A will fire a single eye laser that does 25% Dark damage in the middle of the stage.
- Up Tilt fires a single eye laser that does 28% Dark damage that comes from the top to the bottom of the screen.
- Left or Right Tilt fires a single eye laser that does 23% Dark damage that comes from the left or right if the screen.
- Down Tilt fires a single eye laser that does 25% Dark damage that comes from the bottom to the top of the screen.
- Pressing B will cause the eye to grow red and a short laser burst will fire. It has a high radius and high knock back. It does between 26-30% Dark damage.
- Pressing Down B will cause a Dark Echo to appear and run around. Hitting it will cause it to vanish.
- Pressing Grab will cause Dark Samus/Aurora Unit to grab the opponent and shock it with Phazon. It does 45% Dark damage.

Aurora Unit lasts for 13 seconds before it vanishes.

Ground Attacks
Normal
Dash Attack – Arm cannon thrust. 9% damage. A quick and far reaching attack that does decent knock back. Fairly fast and no lag at the end.
Neutral Attack – Punches first and then punches with her arm cannon. First hit does 5% while the second does 7% damage. The last hit is slower and is a bit delayed after the first punch is thrown.
Forward Tilt – Short-hop kick. Dark Samus slightly jumps and does a spinning kick in the air. Does 5-8% damage depending on the distance. Has high knock back and can defeat enemies at percentages 100% and higher.
Up Tilt – Elbows upwards. Very fast and quick. Does 6% damage with moderate knock back. very hard to KO; even at higher percentages.
Down Tilt – Crouches and performs a 360 leg sweep. Does 8-11% damage depending on the length. It has decent knock back but it has a long reach.
Smash
Forward Smash – Engulfs her hand in Phazon and punches forward with it. Oppnents ar ehit with Dark damage because of the Phazon. It does between 15-21% Dark damage and has moderate knock back. It can OHKO opponents as low as 70%. It is fairly quick but a slow ending lag that may leave Dark Samus helpess. However, it has a very long reach and a very small blast radius because of the Phazon.
Up Smash – Engulfs her hand in Phazon and then thrusts it above her head. The Phazon leaps slightly from her hand. It has a disjointed hit box and can attack from a small length. It also has a small blast radius around it. It is her best killing Smash move since it does between 13-19% Dark damage. It has very high vertical knock back, a little startup lag, but no ending lag.
Down Smash – Several points of frozen Phazon erupts around her. It is unique since it blocks most basic attacks and projectiles for half a second. It has very high vertical and horizontal knock back. It does 16-20% Dark damage and can OHKO as low as 50%. However, it suffers from both start up and ending lags so it’s best to use to juggle or kill an opponent.

Aerial Attacks
Neutral Air – Spins around while activating her Phazon Booster. It deals hits four times and deals 2% each hit. In all, it deals 8% Dark damage and can meteor spike at the last frame. Extremely quick move with no start up and ending lag.
Forward Air – Spins forward while encasing herself in Phazon. It hits 3 times and does 4% damage for each hit. It does a total of 12% Dark damage for each hit. It is one of her best aerials because it is quick, powerful, and useful in high competitive playing.
Back Air – Activates her Phazon Booster and loosens a short Phazon burst that burns the opponent. Does 8% Dark damage and has one of the highest aerial knock backs in the game.
Up Air – Turns upside down and kicks high in the air with both feet. It has high vertical knock back but suffers from start up and ending lag; especially when Dark Samus lands on the ground right after the attack. It does 12% damage.
Down Air – Kicks her feet down and spins rapidly. It hits 5 times and does 2% damage each time. It totals for 10% damage for each hit. Low knock back and one of the lowest KO abilities in the game.
Grapple Beam – Sends grapple forward, with long range. 3% damage, 6% damage at tip.

Grabs & Throws
Grab – Reaches forward with Grapple Beam. While shorter then Samus, it’s faster. Much, much faster.
Pummel – Burns opponent with Phazon. Does 2% damage for each Phazon burn.
Back Throw – Tosses the opponent backwards and activates her Phazon Booster. Deals 10% Dark Damage. Her best
Forward Throw – Slams opponent down and chucks them with a over-head throw Does 7% damage.
Up Throw – Fully extends the Grapple Beam and thrusts the opponent upwards. Does 8% damage.
Down Throw – Throws her opponent down and slams her heel into them. Does 8% damage.

FANART

The Phazon Supporters:
WhiteEaglePL
Venus of the Desert Bloom
Aetheri
Yomi's Biggest Fan
Kirbeh
Ridley_Prime
Deathlightning21
Fisher
Zebei
CardiganBoy
TCT~Phantom

Credit to Wolfie557 Wolfie557 for the Op as original thread owner.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Yes! I give you permission to put me in the supporters list! :p

Also appreciate sharing my art as well!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Tis is a shame that it got put out in Metroid Prime 3.

Still doesn't mean that I would want it as Fighter. Support.

Last edited:

Kirbeh

Smash Lord
Switch FC
SW-7469-4510-7312
Support. Even if DS turned out to be a semi-clone, so long as all the AT stuff got transferred over (after being balanced of course), I'd be pretty happy with that.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Dark Samus I have even less confidence for than Ridley in some regards, as her time has passed; they usually find ways to bring Rid back in some form, but with the Phazon arc concluded along with DS getting a hell of a sendoff, she doesn't really seem to have a future in comparison.

Would still support her as a semi-clone or something though. Apart from Other M content up the butt, the lack of Prime 3 material barring like the DS assist trophy was disappointing (not even a trophy for Rundas and the like). The DS color alt for Samus was passable though.

Deathlightning21

Smash Lord
NNID
Deathlightning21
3DS FC
1779-0225-2026
Put me on the support list! DS has been one of my top 3 most wanted characters list for a while now.

Tree Gelbman

100 Percent Done
Put me on the support list. I feel like DS is far more valid and likely than Ridley at this point. I'd love Ridley, but it's time to be realistic.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Yes, because Dark Samus is a great example of being more realistic, when like Ridley, she missed two good occasions of when she ought to have been in (would say Brawl probably would've been her best time though when the Prime trilogy was still fresh).

If we're being honest, Sylux is the only viable one left to realistically hope for, having a guaranteed future in his own series at the moment, but that's no reason not to still support the other two if you really want them.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
As a big supporter of Dark Samus, her entire situation in Smash just makes me both sad and frustrated...

Missing out in Brawl for whatever reason was bad enough then there's the whole Assist Trophy thing going on which of course meant she wasn't playable yet again as well as getting almost no attention during the ballot because of her Assist Trophy outside of dedicated fans...

And because there's too much focus on relevance with each iteration of Smash as well as the metaphorixal curb stomp she got after 2015's e3, Dark Samus is unfortunately pretty dead in the water now...I'm still going to support her because I still feel she's a prime (no pun intended) candidate and would make for a fun fighter in Smash regardless of her chances...

Support. I prefer Ridley, but still think Dark Samus could be pretty cool.

. . .It also might give an excuse to bring them back to Metroid after killing it off.

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
Sorry but I'm throwing my Metroid character support solely to the Federation Forces Marines.

Screw Dark Samus. Screw Ridley. Screw Kraid. Screw Sylux. Screw Anthony Higgs.

Federation Force Marines all the way.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Sorry but I'm throwing my Metroid character support solely to the Federation Forces Marines.

Screw Dark Samus. Screw Ridley. Screw Kraid. Screw Sylux. Screw Anthony Higgs.

Federation Force Marines all the way.
so you shall now be removed from the support list and thrown into the lunar prison :p

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Coming from you that's kinda made my week so far. lolz

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Even without Dark Samus being playable, her battle theme should be one of the no-brainer soundtracks to add, along with maybe Rundas's and some.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
What theme are we talking about? one from Prime 2 or 3?. I'm currently listening to some prime 2 theme.
Yh I agree it should be in Smash, even have a remix version too.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
One idea for Dark Samus, one that could even work if they went the clone route. After certain attacks, like say her charge shot, Dark Samus leaves behind a puddle of Phazon that does damage over time to whoever steps in it.

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
I support Dark Samus once again, so add me to the list, although this time i'm not as optimistic when it comes to Metroid in Smash Bros, but no point on giving up neither.

I wouldn't complain if she was made a clone or semi-clone (even though she has material to be unique)

Last edited:

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I support Dark Samus once again, so add me to the list, although this time i'm not as optimistic when it comes to Metroid in Smash Bros, but no point on giving up neither.

I wouldn't complain if she was made a clone or semi-clone (even though she has material to be unique)
Yh I'm not excatly expecting a new Metroid or Zelda character but given that they have been skipped this time, I'd say the chances of a newcomer from these two series are slightly higher. Added.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Metroid Prime 4 is now a thing incoming.

Not sure Dark Samus will return for that but if focus is being put on the Prime series again, after a Japan friendly vision for Metroid backfired, maybe they'll brign her back, at least promotionally.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Would be nice. I mean Phazon does still have potential even as a non-sentient plot element (as a source of energy or still being used for influencing Metroids' lifecycle in illegal experiments), but if it were to come back I think it'd be used more subtly than taking over other planets, since Prime 3 was meant to be the end of all that.

Can still see no Phazon coming back at all though as it is, which means no Dark Samus, but I would be open to having having some kind of mutagenic/radioactive successor, a new material introduced in Prime 4. Whether it would be a catalyst to something like Dark Samus or Phaaze, who knows.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
Metroid Prime 4 is now a thing incoming.

Not sure Dark Samus will return for that but if focus is being put on the Prime series again, after a Japan friendly vision for Metroid backfired, maybe they'll brign her back, at least promotionally.
she prob wont.

Her already very low chances are gonna get lower unless she somehow appears in Prime 4 but even then Sylux would take most of the attention. idm, Sylux can be a great character in Smash too.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well now we know Smash Switch is an actual thing, what do you think Dark Samus's odds are?

I'm thinking using Samus as a base they could give her (?) some different attacks that make use of Phazon tentacles.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Well now we know Smash Switch is an actual thing, what do you think Dark Samus's odds are?

I'm thinking using Samus as a base they could give her (?) some different attacks that make use of Phazon tentacles.
Unfortunately not that great...I hate to admit it...

Sakurai likes to look at characters with relevance and a potential future and, even though we've had Prime 4 announced, she's more than likely not coming back since Tanabe basically said he's done with Dark Samus and Phazon...

I want to be cautiously optimistic that he may consider her as a fighter but honestly if he was going to add her into the game he would've done it in Brawl...he should've done it in Brawl...

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
Still a shame it’s come to this. Nothing against Sylux, but compared to Dark Samus he and the other hunters felt pretty one-note in their debut. Dark Samus was well fleshed out in her debut, or both main game appearances rather. I know there’s potential for that with Sylux in MP4 and all, but kinda starting to question if he’ll live up to the hype (for me at least) with how long he’s been dragged out by Tanabe through nothing but cameos...

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Still a shame it’s come to this. Nothing against Sylux, but compared to Dark Samus he and the other hunters felt pretty one-note in their debut. Dark Samus was well fleshed out in her debut, or both main game appearances rather. I know there’s potential for that with Sylux in MP4 and all, but kinda starting to question if he’ll live up to the hype (for me at least) with how long he’s been dragged out by Tanabe through nothing but cameos...
That's the thing about Sylux for me...he sort of still needs to prove himself whereas Dark Samus has already established herself and has made an impact being the main antagonist in one of the best video game trilogies I've ever played!!!

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
Dark Samus' best shot would be as a last minute clone imo, it's the one way I imagine a less relevant character might make it, although I imagine she'd have to be closer to the Lucas/Luigi/Wolf category than the Dr. Mario/Dark Pit/Lucina one, which might make them look elsewhere first since she'd take more work.

Fully agree that if not Ridley then Dark Samus would be the best Metroid addition. Sylux wasn't anything special even in Prime Hunters, and although his role is obviously going to get much bigger in Prime 4 I'm not at all sold on him as a new rival to Samus, I just don't see how he'll bring anything unique to the table when his only two characteristics are basically looking cool and hating the Federation, which is hardly anything noteworthy in Metroid. He has a lot to live up to in succeeding Dark Samus at least.

Last edited:

Wonks

Smash Journeyman
I fully expect Dark Samus to be playable, and a red herring. Upon her reveal, people will say, "Well, with Dark Samus in Smash, there's no way Ridley will be in there, too."

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I will probably just die from hype if both Dark Samus AND Ridley get into Smash...

MrReyes96

Smash Ace
I support Dark Samus but I think it would help if they just named the character “Metroid Prime”
A change of name can do a lot to help perception of a character, like I wish they would’ve just called Dark Pit Pittoo. Plus it would be cool to have Metroid and it’s sister series have dark versions of their protagonists.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I support Dark Samus but I think it would help if they just named the character “Metroid Prime”
A change of name can do a lot to help perception of a character, like I wish they would’ve just called Dark Pit Pittoo. Plus it would be cool to have Metroid and it’s sister series have dark versions of their protagonists.
Well, while Dark Samus IS technically Metroid Prime...the character herself is still best known as Dark Samus and Metroid Prime was the previous form she took before merging with Samus's Phazon Suit...

Smash shouldn't have to change the character's name so that people won't get upset...rather name changes only really occur if two characters have the exact same name otherwise, but even then they just add a name or adjective to the character rather than outright change it (ie, Toon Link, Roy Koopa)

Plus it would be strange to see Dark Samus on CSS, but have her named as Metroid Prime...

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Pardon the pun, but she could be a real dark horse contender if they decide "inf or a penny, in for a pound" on Metroid representation

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Pardon the pun, but she could be a real dark horse contender if they decide "inf or a penny, in for a pound" on Metroid representation
I mean, Dark Samus does represent an important part of gaming being the main antagonist for the Prime Trilogy...plus she could bring something unique to the table with her phazon abilities.

However despite all that, with all the attention Ridley is getting and to a lesser extent Sylux because of the promise of Prime 4 on the horizon, I feel it's likely she'll be heavily overlooked which is a shame. Though I do have some optimism that she may be the dark horse that no one expects.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I very much have it in my head that Dark Samus could be made partially from Samus's asstets (not necessarily a clone) while Sylux is held back for DLC.

Ridley_Prime

Proteus Geoform
NNID
AlphaWarDragon87
3DS FC
0774-4845-6886
Switch FC
SW-7888-8563-5773
In a perfect world we’d have already gotten her, even if she turned out to be a semi-clone. Getting her now would be pretty left field, though so was her assist trophy status. Not that I’d complain now regardless; anything to take away from the feeling of gross negligence when it comes to the Prime series and Smash (MP4 will be coming too late, so yeah).

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Things are looking good for Dark Samus's chances so far. Not only is she unaccounted for as an AT, Samus's Dark Samus inspired alt has been removed.

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Things are looking good for Dark Samus's chances so far. Not only is she unaccounted for as an AT, Samus's Dark Samus inspired alt has been removed.
I mean Dark Samus as an Echo fighter is definitely rather appropriate if you think about it. Though I wouldn't get my hopes up yet since for all we know we probably just haven't seen her AT yet.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I mean Dark Samus as an Echo fighter is definitely rather appropriate if you think about it. Though I wouldn't get my hopes up yet since for all we know we probably just haven't seen her AT yet.
But I find it weird that Samus's Dark Samus alt has been removed. They wouldn't do that unless Dark Samus became playable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom