• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The D3 Video Lounge

DD_

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys! Looking to get some Serious Critique as our biggest major/only international event for the year is this weekend and I'm tryin to not get slapped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oujqo2-qQMw&list=UUb1s2Nj0UpZ1MoKdC8VEZ-w

Here is a set I played last weekend and lost in, any critique on my D3 is welcomed! Also i'm aware of how messed up my twitching is while I play, somthing I don't notice when I play and can't help :D

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
Hey guys! Looking to get some Serious Critique as our biggest major/only international event for the year is this weekend and I'm tryin to not get slapped.
So the first thing I noticed is the lack of l-cancelling, it's extremely important for you to l-cancel as D3 because when you don't, it's like saying "punish meee!".
You wan't to utilize D3's fast fall speed more, it's great for follow ups and avoiding attacks.
During your first match on battlefield, you ended up above Zelda a couple times but didn't do anything significant. You can actually SHFFL a down air through the platforms on battlefield to poke your opponent and follow up accordingly.
Waddle-dashing isn't just a recovery tool, there were plenty of options where you could have surprised Zelda with it to get a little combo going. Also, practice angling them.
I noticed you have a tendency to either forward or back-throw when near the ledge, but down-throw works great as well. Most of the time, people don't know how to DI D3's down throw right away, so you can chain-grab them and follow them off-stage with a forward air. (If you notice them DI-ing the right way, THEN you should forward-throw) I really only use back/forward-throw when I know it's a guaranteed (or close to it) kill.

BTW, since this is the video lounge, I might as well post one of my most recent vids :p
Me and this guy play all the time so he's a bit more adapted to the way I play.

Last edited:

danijam

Smash Rookie
Can somebody watch my matches of King Dedede and give me some advice. the video is on this twitch channel West Mi smash

my match starts at 01:08:42 to 01:15:50 my match vs a mario starts 01:27:26

Last edited:

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
So the first thing I noticed is the lack of l-cancelling, it's extremely important for you to l-cancel as D3 because when you don't, it's like saying "punish meee!".
You wan't to utilize D3's fast fall speed more, it's great for follow ups and avoiding attacks.
During your first match on battlefield, you ended up above Zelda a couple times but didn't do anything significant. You can actually SHFFL a down air through the platforms on battlefield to poke your opponent and follow up accordingly.
Waddle-dashing isn't just a recovery tool, there were plenty of options where you could have surprised Zelda with it to get a little combo going. Also, practice angling them.
I noticed you have a tendency to either forward or back-throw when near the ledge, but down-throw works great as well. Most of the time, people don't know how to DI D3's down throw right away, so you can chain-grab them and follow them off-stage with a forward air. (If you notice them DI-ing the right way, THEN you should forward-throw) I really only use back/forward-throw when I know it's a guaranteed (or close to it) kill.

BTW, since this is the video lounge, I might as well post one of my most recent vids :p
Me and this guy play all the time so he's a bit more adapted to the way I play.
I think you tried going for the poke through the platform with dair too much as an offensive option. Personally, I think it should be used more for regaining stage control or getting back onto the stage as the offensive use can be punished more easily.

NFTsmasher

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Shoob24
Can somebody watch my matches of King Dedede and give me some advice. the video is on this twitch channel West Mi smash

my match starts at 01:08:42 to 01:15:50 my match vs a mario starts 01:27:26
That was some pretty solid play. Ganon is really easy to gimp, so I usually go for bthrows when near the edge. One thing to look out for is Ganon's fair can go through Waddles so Waddle Toss is not good for stopping a shffl fair approach and can hurt if you're throwing them from too close. Something I should try working on is more dthrow chains to offstage fair. I saw that you got those multiple times!

Vs. Mario, wavedashing out of shield might help with approaching Mario through his pills. A good Mario won't even just be standing there throwing pills. He'll be jumping all over the place while throwing them too.

Last edited:

Smur

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
4141-3292-3562
@ NFTsmasher NFTsmasher Ehh..I was only spamming it in the first minute of the video. You should watch the whole thing. There's some neat stuff that you might learn in there either D3 wise or matchup wise -- especially since ":)" is considered one of the best, if not, the best DK in GA.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Personally, I've found Ike to be relatively easy to ledgeguard on with D3. D3's Ftilt and Down-B can even catch him in his recovery before it gets started. It's also important to remember that, while Ike has the clear ground advantage, we have a far better off-stage game with multiple jumps, good aerials, a reliable down spike and a now solid gimping option in the gordo toss.
Take advantage of this, and Ike shouldn't be too difficult.
Umm this is the PM thread not the Smash 4 thread ya might wanna talk about that match-up there.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I did a thing. Please give me feedback on where I can improve.

kinje

Smash Apprentice
Hey, I know this thread has been dead for a while, but I was looking to see if anyone had Kirby MU experience to tell me how to improve my follow-ups in this matchup.

http://www.twitch.tv/umdsmash/v/28274760
(My game starts around 35:30)

It wasn't a paid tourney, so GL and I weren't taking it too seriously, but afterwards I watched the set and realized that, even though we went essentially even on neutral exchanges in game one, I still lost by a pretty wide margin cause I couldn't capitalize nearly as well as him when I won neutral (and made a couple dramatically scrubby input errors and missed techs)

So, I guess I'm asking if there's any way I could have extended my punishes better in the MU, or if I really just need to focus more on not getting punished as hard and play neutral more conservatively against Kirby.

Kirby's one of the 3 characters I don't want to go Falco against in tourney, so I'm pretty interested in figuring out if I can get my D3 to deal with it better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom