• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The D3 Stage Reference Thread

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Stolen from Inspired by the Olimar boards version.

The point of this thread is to give us a quick reference for what stages we need to strike for neutrals, as well as ban/choose for Counterpicks. Sure, some characters like :popo: may be obvious, but there are several lesser known matchups that we may not know where to go. So in this thread, we shall pool our knowledge together and make something out of this. Please post your opinions on anything that you may know and we'll organize things as we go along. I want to have a tangible list up asap. I'll be updating as we go along also if I feel like there's obvious stuff to fill in. So click on a character to see the format and suggest your stages. :)

The Stage List via Unity Ruleset ver. 2.0:

Starter | Counterpick Battlefield | Battleship Halberd Castle Siege | Brinstar Final Destination | Delfino Plaza Lylat Cruise | Frigate Orpheon Pokemon Stadium 1 | Pokemon Stadium 2 Smashville | Rainbow Cruise Yoshi's island |

The list of characters is in order according to the Version 6 Tier List.

METAKNIGHT :metaknight:

Neutrals to Strike
1. :yoshisb:
2. :battlefieldb:
3. :smashville:
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
1. :brinstar:
Runner-Up: :rainbowcruise:

They're Probably Banning
1. :halberd:
Runner-Up: :fdb:

We Should Take Them To:
1. :fdb:
2. :halberd:
Runner-Up:

DIDDY KONG :diddy:

Neutrals to Strike
2. :smashville:
3. :battlefieldb:
Runner-Up: :yoshisb:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up: :smashville:

They're Probably Banning
1. :rainbowcruise:
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

SNAKE :snake:

Neutrals to Strike
1. :battlefieldb:
2. :lylat:
3. :yoshisb:
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
1. :delfino:

We Should Take Them To:
1. :delfino:
2. :ps2:
3. :rainbowcruise:
Runner-Up:

FALCO :falco:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

MARTH :marth:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

WARIO :warioc:

Neutrals to Strike
1. :battlefieldb:
2. :lylat:
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up: :frigate:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
1. :fbb:
Runner-Up:

ICE CLIMBERS :popo:

Neutrals to Strike
3. :smashville:
Runner-Up: :yoshisb:

Counterpicks to Ban

They're Probably Banning

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

OLIMAR :olimar:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

PIKACHU :pikachu2:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

LUCARIO :lucario:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

ZERO SUIT SAMUS :zerosuitsamus:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

MR. GAME AND WATCH :gw:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

TOON LINK :toonlink:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

FOX :fox:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

WOLF :wolf:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

PEACH :peach:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

DONKEY KONG :dk2:

Neutrals to Strike
3. :lylat:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

KIRBY :kirby2:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

R.O.B.
:rob:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

PIT :pit:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

SONIC :sonic:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

IKE :ike:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

LUIGI:luigi2:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

SHEIK :sheik:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

NESS:ness2:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

YOSHI:yoshi2:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

POKEMON TRAINER :pt:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

LUCAS :lucas:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

MARIO :mario2:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

BOWSER :bowser2:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

SAMUS:samus2:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

CAPTAIN FALCON :falcon:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

LINK:link2:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

JIGGLYPUFF :jigglypuff:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

ZELDA:zelda:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

GANONDORF:ganondorf:

Neutrals to Strike
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
Runner-Up:

We Should Take Them To:
Runner-Up:

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
ahh good stuff =].

So yeah, im wondering what do we take a diddy kong to? Just something with a platform but a small stage im guesing? sv/yoshis or is there somethin better to cp?

Also, wouldnt we take a snake to FD?

ZTD | TECHnology

^ I honestly feel like FD is neutral in that MU. Yeah we get a longer CG but they get a good amount of room to work with and camp us..which is what they need to do in MU. I mean its debatable though. I just started tossing stuff in there to get discussion rolling.

Personally, I like PS2 against Diddy since the shifts can interrupt their banana control and I feel like the physics benefit us more. Im also partial to Frigate against them as well.

Also thank you :D

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Well with the other stages recommended for snake, that gives him a platform to camp and throw grenades and trade hits. The point of FD is to avoid that platform.

As for diddy, I thought it would work wonders with our gimmicks but that backfires hard since with all the stage intrusions, that usually just makes it easier for diddy to camp and clock out.

ZTD | TECHnology

I can see your points. Ive never really tested PS2 on Diddy tbh. I usually just go Frigate and its worked pretty well for me. I especially like how we can trip Diddy on the ledgeless side...Ive done some...not so nice things to Diddys I catch there lmao.

ZTD | TECHnology

Frigate is underrated imo vs characters we can't CG or probably wont. I feel like at times I have to treat Diddy like a non-CGable because of bananas always being there to hinder that. So I usually try that.

Exdeath

Smash Master
It REALLY depends on how you play the match-up and how you're killing. If you're having a harder time killing then the last thing that you want to do is go to a bigger stage. I prefer taking Diddy to a smaller stage because against safe Diddys I usually land a Bair ~140% and if it doesn't kill them then they're probably going to make it to 180% before I kill them.

Also, I think that Yoshi's Island is one of the worst stages to play against ICs, if only because of how thoroughly they can control sections of the stage (e.g. two sets of ice blocks revolving in the center makes it very impractical to even land on that portion of the stage for several seconds where ICs have all of their options open).

Frigate is an amazing DDD stage overall and I think that it's his best CP in a lot of situations, however I think that it's a mixed bag against characters like Diddy. His Fair can give some pretty high reward at certain positions of the platform and when the platform is high then Diddy is better off than DDD in pretty much any given situation on the right. He shouldn't gimp you, but you're going to take a considerable chunk of damage if you get hit out of one of your jumps. Furthermore, the second part really favors Diddy's banana control and it's extremely easy for him to trip you through your shield if you're on an incline. Peanuts are all kinds of awful while he's in the center and when you're on the center he can heavily pressure your shield with banana toss>tilts. Naturally, this explanation is only one-sided and DDD can do abnormally good stuff too, however I think that the stage is a better CP for Diddy than DDD if Diddy knows the stage.

After me CPing Mampam there a lot, he eventually learned the stage and started CPing people there himself (DDD/MK/etc.), especially in a 3/5 set.

AtotheZ

Smash Lord
For fox I think we should ban fd. There's a lot of room on there to run away and camp, and he can easily move from side to side with no platforms stopping his camping.

Doc King

Smash Lord
For Wario, I think instead of lylat being striked, I think that smashville should be striked because that platform above can ruin our air release finishers and Wario can run away from us fairly easy on a small stage.

Smashville should be our first strike and then bf should be our second.

We really shouldn't ban Brinstar or Frigate or any counterpick according to the current unity ruleset. Brinstar we actually get a killing advantage, we have a bair lock on Wario, and we have slope infinites which these can perform a lot there.

Frigate we have these air release stuff that we can do on the first part on the right along with wall infinites. We also have slope infinites on the second part.

You would rather just ban Smashville instead.

GDX

Smash Hero
NNID
GameDragonX2
FD is good for fighting vs diddy imo

i won literally every match (containing big leads) vs mampam/gdx the past tourny i went to
i personally like fighting D3 on FD, but you were just reading me too well early on in the sets on that stage

(and that ****ing gordo)

but some diddys dislike playing D3 there so it depends on the player

Edit: and i brought it back the 2nd FD match, but i got **** on the first game :glare:

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
smashville is really good for ddd against wario actually. The platform to screw up the upsmash or uptilt is only a minor nuisance and isn't always a hindrance. The small amount of space in the level is what really gives d3 the advantage. I don't recall ever losing a match to wario on that stage. I agree with what TC suggested for that.

Agains falco, I'd strike FD 1st for sure, and just take them to any stage with a platform. im not too sure what works best stage wise, but its a bit irrelevant since the platform is where its at.

ZTD | TECHnology

Smashville is like the 2nd best neutral to take him to imo. Like for the reasons, DewDaDash said. The platform messing with your Grab Release stuff is unlikely, It can happen but its pretty unlikely if you're paying attention. And if Wario decides to came the platform big deal. We're very good at denying Wario access to where he wants to go (a.k.a zoning...)Its only a matter of time before he gets grabbed. Ive played Warios of all skill levels and I have never had an issue with him on that stage. Naturally I'd go for FD but no Wario is going to let that happen.

Lylat is honestly annoying in that MU. Three platforms and a tilting stage that can mess up our CGs/Grab Releases. That's arguably more annoying that BF for that MU. <_<

I stand by my statements, I have a buttload of Wario exp.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I like Lylat against Wario, but that's out of preference. It's hard to catch Wario there, but I see it as a much better version of Battlefield.

As a side note, I'm pretty sure that you can air release Wario over the outside platforms>platform cancel>grab>stuff for earlier kills. I've only done it once, but I'm not sure whether or not it's guaranteed.

Exdeath

Smash Master
As far as I know the necessary frame data isn't recorded (how soon after DDD's jump until the platform cancel, how long the platform cancel lasts, etc.).

DUB

Smash Lord
Castle Siege is a strong pick vs Diddy.

1st Transformation- This portion of the stage is pretty cramped making it much harder for Diddy to use his bananas as effectively as say Smashfield or Battlefield. The slope interferes with banana tosses if he is throwing towards the right side of the stage. Also, the two platforms give you protection and frame traps on a falling diddy.

2nd Transformation- Lol D-throw. B-air can be used to fend off his aerial options from the various platforms. Most importantly is to position yourself on the other side of the statues to block nanas +peanuts. Naners can be easily caught after the bounce.

3rd- Diddy kind of gets his playground for a little while. Semi-flat stage. Only thing mildly hindering him on this transformation is a potentional stage tilt.

My 2 cents

Doc King

Smash Lord
smashville is really good for ddd against wario actually. The platform to screw up the upsmash or uptilt is only a minor nuisance and isn't always a hindrance. The small amount of space in the level is what really gives d3 the advantage. I don't recall ever losing a match to wario on that stage. I agree with what TC suggested for that.

Agains falco, I'd strike FD 1st for sure, and just take them to any stage with a platform. im not too sure what works best stage wise, but its a bit irrelevant since the platform is where its at.
That is true about the air release because if it's blocking then D3 can just d throw Wario and regrab him somewhere else.

I haven't really played a campy Wario, so I probably don't know much against the timeout Wario's.

Falco, you should strike FD first and then Yoshi's second. We should take Falco to smashville because the edges can help us with tech chasing since Falco's back roll is so long. Also, Falco's annoying camping won't affect us as much in that stage.
Smashville is like the 2nd best neutral to take him to imo. Like for the reasons, DewDaDash said. The platform messing with your Grab Release stuff is unlikely, It can happen but its pretty unlikely if you're paying attention. And if Wario decides to came the platform big deal. We're very good at denying Wario access to where he wants to go (a.k.a zoning...)Its only a matter of time before he gets grabbed. Ive played Warios of all skill levels and I have never had an issue with him on that stage. Naturally I'd go for FD but no Wario is going to let that happen.

Lylat is honestly annoying in that MU. Three platforms and a tilting stage that can mess up our CGs/Grab Releases. That's arguably more annoying that BF for that MU. <_<

I stand by my statements, I have a buttload of Wario exp.
Lylat is a weird stage for that matchup. It helps and harms us at the same time. You really have to study the stage for that one.

I think for neutrals Yoshi's would be our best stage because of the slope infinite. Another thing too is that the blue thing can help us sometimes from getting farted by Wario out of our recovery. FD is also good because of long chaingrabs and no platforms for Wario to run away from us. BF isn't a good stage because the platforms can be annoying and put us into bad spots against Wario when he's dairing us and it will make it harder to bair him (Which our bair is good on Wario).

1st Transformation- This portion of the stage is pretty cramped making it much harder for Diddy to use his bananas as effectively as say Smashfield or Battlefield. The slope interferes with banana tosses if he is throwing towards the right side of the stage. Also, the two platforms give you protection and frame traps on a falling diddy.

2nd Transformation- Lol D-throw. B-air can be used to fend off his aerial options from the various platforms. Most importantly is to position yourself on the other side of the statues to block nanas +peanuts. Naners can be easily caught after the bounce.

3rd- Diddy kind of gets his playground for a little while. Semi-flat stage. Only thing mildly hindering him on this transformation is a potentional stage tilt.

My 2 cents
I actually put a Diddy there before and it actually worked our fairly well. That could be a good place to take Diddy to.

Exdeath

Smash Master

My 2 cents
On the first transformation, Diddy can shield pressure the Hell out of DDD when while on the right and just shoot peanuts while on the left. Steep slopes give Diddy more control over tripping through shield.

I think that the second transformation is amazing vs. Diddy for fighting, however Diddy can run away really well and DDD has an extremely difficult time catching him.

The third transformation is really situational. In terms of banana control, I think that it's good against the inexperienced Diddy who can't deal with the subtleties of the stage. The experienced Diddy, however, will find that it helps their banana control and is essentially a better version of FD for them in that sense. It's great against Diddy if the player has a Side-B habit, as the tilt messes that up and makes it easier to land as well as messing up the follow-ups for getting hit/juggled by Diddy.

DUB

Smash Lord
On the first transformation, Diddy can shield pressure the Hell out of DDD when while on the right and just shoot peanuts while on the left. Steep slopes give Diddy more control over tripping through shield.
Definitely. I think it's really important to get good positioning at the start of this match when/if Diddy pulls out naners and try to get him above you.

Lovecraft

Smash Apprentice
Here's my opinion in regards to ZSS:

Neutrals to Strike
1. Battlefield
2. Castle Seige
3. Lylat Cruise
Runner-Up:

Counterpicks to Ban
1. Brinstar
Runner-Up:

They're Probably Banning
1. Frigate
Runner-Up: Rainbow Cruise

We Should Take Them To:
1. Frigate
2. Rainbow
3. PKM Stadium 2?
Runner-Up:

ZTD | TECHnology

I don't like FD against Zamus.

Like she can do that stupid CG much easier/longer here because of no platforms to get in the way. And she has a lot of room to run and reset her positioning and get into optimal spacing to keep us out. I would much rather play her on something smaller where she can't run away and gain positional advantage. Its not like we can really chase her with her FAR superior mobility. You have to trap her, keep her in your optimal range and force her to play awkwardly. FD doesnt facilitate that.

:phone:

Doc King

Smash Lord
Take Zamus to something small like smashville go tech chasing can be easier like the other lightweights and basically the stuff that tech chase said.

GRI3VER

Smash Cadet
I have a Question about Stages for Olimar.

I like to play on Lylat against him.

Is it just me or did you guys have the same good feeling on this stage?

Lylat:

Pro: We have many plattforms so we can "run" away from him and have one more option to approach him, their also helps us to get "easy" ways to kill him, the edges are sometimes against Olimar because of their movement :), The stage movement can make his Fsmash useless when your placement and knowledge of the stage is good.

Contra: His sharking game at the edge is really amazing, also the plattforms can help him to get fast % on us at the beginning of the match.

Did you agree with that and which stages would you choose?

ZTD | TECHnology

We need to revive this thread.

Anywho:

I think Lylat is a better neutral against Olimar actually. I generally take characters that we can't CG here because I like to abuse Platform Canceling. I also find it a bit easier to get in on characters that zone hard like Olimar because of how the platforms are places. Its really helpful that there's a platform on the sides and in the middle. At the same time Olimar can abuse that. But I feel like I have more options to reposition myself if things start going bad. Plus Down-Air is a good tool for poking here since we can Auto Cancel them and potentially pop Olimar in the air ..where we want him.

I have also considered Yoshi's against Olimar as well. Not really sure about that one though.

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Dair's autocancel frames are pretty tight, I dunno how well you'd go abusing them on a stage that changes its angle like Lylat.

vs Olimar you guys should probs ban/strike stages which give him higher chances of blue and white pikmin.

White pikmin are the worst. :(

ZTD | TECHnology

Dair's autocancel frames are pretty tight, I dunno how well you'd go abusing them on a stage that changes its angle like Lylat.

vs Olimar you guys should probs ban/strike stages which give him higher chances of blue and white pikmin.

White pikmin are the worst. :(
I don't know about that....

The Lakers line up (yellow and purple) is a lot scarier than the other colors.

And all you have to do is practice on the stage and you perceive the times you can AC Dairs pretty easily. I personally LOVE the stage.
:phone:

KuroganeHammer

It's ya boy
BRoomer
NNID
Aerodrome
Oh? I hate the blue ones more than the yellow and purple and I main Zelda. I guess it's a matter of opinion. Maybe.

In any case, ironically, Lylat gives Olimar the highest chance of both yellow and purple with the drawback of only being able to pluck at 80% of the usual speed.

allshort17

Smash Ace
Aerodrome, is there a thread you know of that has all the effects the stages have on Olimar? If not, do you just know all of them because I would like to know.

4GOD (JJV)

Smash Apprentice
I'm gonna have to disagree with Tech Chase and DewDaDash on Wario and Smashville. I strongly dislike Smashville. When you get Wario up to that kill % it's a lot easier for him to control when he wants to break from the grab-release, and camping a moving platform helps him a lot. It puts him in a good spot against D3. Always being able to quickly be higher than d3 in the air at a given moment puts him in a better position to react and punish whatever option we're approaching with (assuming we have to approach). For instance, if we approach with bairs, his position will allow his dair to beat our bair (he'll be vertical enough). With non-moving platforms, we can deal with him better since at any given time we can more safely go vertically even with him in the air. The safest thing for D3 to do against Wario when spacing attacks is to mimic his vertical position. In Smashville that becomes considerably more difficult.

I agree with striking BF and Lylat.

So, as for changes to the current stage list:

I would put Smashville for #3 neutral to strike.
I would put Rainbow Cruise as runner-up counterpick to ban instead of Frigate. Unless you enjoy getting timed out :D

Assuming FD is banned, we should take them to:

Castle Siege
Yoshi's
PS1
Runner-Up: Halberd

DewDaDash

Smash Lord
Meh to each his own.

I meant more that I don't mind smashville being the neutral pick more than anything. All of us have our preferences, I personally love smashville for that MU. I mean if you really are concerned about the platform screwing up ur kill, you can just f-throw him and hes put in a terrible position. Either way, the mu is nearly impossible to lose.

Also I'd think that castle seige would be terrible since it gives him ample space to camp. Delfino is a better pick if what I'm thinking is what your going for with that.

Top Bottom