• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cutest Multitasker Rides into Battle! Mona for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

smashkirby

Smash Hero

I got this ask on my Wario blog and that made me think of this thread.

Gonna be real, I am pretty done with Smash outside of mods these days, however, I really do think now is a good time for Mona to finally get a chance to break out into something bigger. Doesn't need to be Smash, could also be her making it into the Mario spin-offs at last.

WarioWare has been in a odd position for a while and really reached a low point after Game & Wario, with the longest hiatus between installments to date.

I feel Gold being a thing and it's modest success, really did wonders for Wario and his cast in general, because things have been surprisingly good for them since 2017 as I also talked about at length:

We have moved past that awful, AWFUL time during the Wii U era, where only Ashley got pushed, while the rest of the Wario series was at it's lowest point. In fact, the only two times Ashley got something extra, via special christmas art and being featured on the Nintendo Dream interview promo, Mona was right alongside her:

View attachment 321403

View attachment 321404

Taking it even further, she's front and center when Wario introduces, what seems to be the entire rest of the playable cast alongside himself, in Get It Together:

It helps that people are really excited for this game, enough to have it already do well with pre-orders and that's not even going into the insane amount of love I have seen for Mona since then.

I feel GIT is gonna do well and do a lot of good for Wario and it's only gonna help to let Nintendo know Mona has lots of fans. Be it through surveys when a relevant enough point comes up or their social media accounts.

We aren't in Ashley-only Land anymore, Mona is getting some push now, this is a big chance for her and it only helps to inform Nintendo that we like that a lot.
Honestly, I'm happy to see you post this here! I know you said you were done with official Smash, but I was considering asking you if I could post your recent write-ups about Mona here eventually. All that said, I certainly think the future is looking brighter for Wario and his ENTIRE supporting cast (rather than just Ashley and sort-of Red).

In fact... would you say Wario's getting the treatment than Donkey Kong is rumored to soon get from Nintendo (i.e. having his series treated like it's actually worth something investing into)?

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Anything I post on my blog is free to be shared anywhere. After all, spreading the Wario love was the whole idea behind the blog.

As for that, I honestly feel Gold already restored some of Nintendo's faith into the Wario IP. Gold was released in an absolutely atrocious time for new 3DS games and even nowadays I regularly read of people who never played it entirely because they were bored of the system it was on.

Despite this, it seemingly was a modest success, enough to please higher-ups. We know it did surprisingly decently in Japan and while its western performance is more unclear, I'm certain that Nintendo, as baffling as they can be, realize that possible sales struggles were the fault of it being stranded on a system that was already a zombie at that point.

Following it's release, we got the character trailers, christmas art, that Nintendo Dream interview and a Band Brothers x WarioWare collab contest, all directly tying into Gold. Nintendo wouldn't give this much post-launch support to a game that they see as a failure.

Get It Together is gonna be important for Wario going forward, but it's pre-order performance and reactions to it's reveal already paint a very optimistic picture about it's possible sales performance. GIT doing well will not only secure WarioWare's future, but also be healthy and important for the Wario brand as a whole.

It could further push for a return of Wario Land, we may finally get Wario characters in more games, maybe some new Wario projects beyond Land and Ware, perhaps even spin-offs.

Anything is possible, but the main gist I have gotten post-Gold's release is that Nintendo has faith in Wario again and this faith needs to be rewarded if we want him, his series and his supporting cast to get even more stuff going forward.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Anything I post on my blog is free to be shared anywhere. After all, spreading the Wario love was the whole idea behind the blog.

As for that, I honestly feel Gold already restored some of Nintendo's faith into the Wario IP. Gold was released in an absolutely atrocious time for new 3DS games and even nowadays I regularly read of people who never played it entirely because they were bored of the system it was on.

Despite this, it seemingly was a modest success, enough to please higher-ups. We know it did surprisingly decently in Japan and while its western performance is more unclear, I'm certain that Nintendo, as baffling as they can be, realize that possible sales struggles were the fault of it being stranded on a system that was already a zombie at that point.

Following it's release, we got the character trailers, christmas art, that Nintendo Dream interview and a Band Brothers x WarioWare collab contest, all directly tying into Gold. Nintendo wouldn't give this much post-launch support to a game that they see as a failure.

Get It Together is gonna be important for Wario going forward, but it's pre-order performance and reactions to it's reveal already paint a very optimistic picture about it's possible sales performance. GIT doing well will not only secure WarioWare's future, but also be healthy and important for the Wario brand as a whole.

It could further push for a return of Wario Land, we may finally get Wario characters in more games, maybe some new Wario projects beyond Land and Ware, perhaps even spin-offs.

Anything is possible, but the main gist I have gotten post-Gold's release is that Nintendo has faith in Wario again and this faith needs to be rewarded if we want him, his series and his supporting cast to get even more stuff going forward.
I haven't mentioned this until now, but it's definitely curious for IS to be handling the latest WarioWare. It's one thing for them to not be ready for a new FE yet, another for them to step aside in favor of WayForward for the Advance Wars remakes, but being entrusted with a series for such a well-known character is the last thing to expect from a company that specializes in RPGs as their bread and butter. Ninty definitely has a lost of trust in them for a big move like this, as their departments famously are afraid on stepping on each other's toes.
It may be too soon for us to get more :ultwario: stuff should GiT do well, but it would certainly impact late Switch/next Nintendo console projects, and anything that gets more demand for Mona and Syrup is good in my book. In the meantime, I'll have to see if I can get it digitally and physically.

Also, I felt like posting this, since it feels so weird for Wario Land VB to get any love at all in this day and age, yet here we are.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I haven't mentioned this until now, but it's definitely curious for IS to be handling the latest WarioWare. It's one thing for them to not be ready for a new FE yet, another for them to step aside in favor of WayForward for the Advance Wars remakes, but being entrusted with a series for such a well-known character is the last thing to expect from a company that specializes in RPGs as their bread and butter. Ninty definitely has a lost of trust in them for a big move like this, as their departments famously are afraid on stepping on each other's toes.
Intelligent Systems has been developing WarioWare since Touched.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Intelligent Systems has been developing WarioWare since Touched.
Since Mega Party Games even, they have been at it since the second game in the series.

I do think the point still stands, GIT will do a ton of good for Wario if it does well.

Speaking of Get It Together:

E8Evo4gVIAMw8l-.jpg

Korea will have 5 stickers as their GIT pre-order bonus and Mona is one of the characters to get a sticker.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Food for thought, but since the :ultmario: character inclusions this time show clear signs of starting to run out of options (prior to Pauline's status upgrade), do you think GIT's possible success would encourage them to finally pull someone else out of the Wario well? I notice that Sak doesn't rely on spin-off material that much unless he either has no other choice or a loophole can be used. As far as Brawl was concerned, :ultwario: and :ultdiddy:were the Marioverse inclusions that time.

View attachment 325396

Korea will have 5 stickers as their GIT pre-order bonus and Mona is one of the characters to get a sticker.
As neat as these are, nothing will ever match the phone straps Touched! came with.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Hey, has anyone seen this? I'm not saying we should take much stock into this, but you have to admit... Penny still not being shown after all of this time seems REALLY odd...

By the way, do NOT read this Twitter post if you don't want to be potentially spoiled on G.I.T.'s story and content.

Last edited:

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I can believe that Penny's absence from shown material so far plays into one of the things claimed by the Twitter thread.

Either way though, I see many being worried about her, but I'm certain she will be in GIT somewhere. WarioWare is actually very good at keeping the main cast around, even if some of them don't have stages.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I can believe that Penny's absence from shown material so far plays into one of the things claimed by the Twitter thread.

Either way though, I see many being worried about her, but I'm certain she will be in GIT somewhere. WarioWare is actually very good at keeping the main cast around, even if some of them don't have stages.
Plus, at least she isn't a member of the Thang family besides Jimmy. Those folks haven't got ANYTHING for years until the showcase videos in Gold.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Plus, at least she isn't a member of the Thang family besides Jimmy. Those folks haven't got ANYTHING for years until the showcase videos in Gold.
Which to be fair, is largely owed to their function of taking over Remix stages, the way those have been tackled has changed a fair bit over time:

Mega Microgames has Jimmy with red and yellow wigs for Remix stages.

Twisted has Papa T and Mama T...sorta host the Remix stage, it was still mostly Jimmy you saw there.

Touched had Jamie T and James T take over.

In Smooth Moves Jimmy himself and Jimmy P were the Remix stages.

The DIY games had Remix game blenders.

And then Gold did something neat by treating the Remix stages more like all the others. You got cutscenes and instead of a single character, you got everyone who's microgames are featured on the stage.

I really want Gold's style of Remix stages to stick around, it really adds so much more to them and it's nice to see the cast interact more.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Come to think of it, are Lulu and 13-Amp guaranteed to show up in some capacity? 13-Amp is at least likely to be in 18-Volt's stages, but I'm not sure about Lulu.
I think Lulu was just a thing for Gold's story. She'll get cameos at best.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Come to think of it, are Lulu and 13-Amp guaranteed to show up in some capacity? 13-Amp is at least likely to be in 18-Volt's stages, but I'm not sure about Lulu.
We already saw Lulu in GIT's trailer and 13-Amp has already been seen as part of 9-Volt's stage during the Threehouse presentation.

I do wonder what Lulu's part in this game is though. She's shown with the main cast, but everything suggests that she's not playable.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Hey, anyone see this yet? Looks like Wario and the Ware gang really do get sucked into their own game after all.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Well, now the game is getting the demo treatment. That should give it some nice exposure.

That said, I've been wondering something. Now that the majority of the Warioware staff is equally playable (compared to mostly Wario in select microgames for past entries), I wonder if that'll actually encourage the Smash staff to actually try going after some of them in the future.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Necessary weasel gimmick is a really poor and dismissive way to put it. It is a proper evolution of the formula and I do think that the already positive reception of the playability of the cast and promising pre-order performance of Get It Together are spelling out very good things for the future of the Ware cast in general.

Mona in particular is looking to really have things going her way now. They already put her front and center when introducing the playable cast aside from Wario in the debut trailer and now they did it again with the demo home screen icon:
8.PNG

And this multiplayer mode title card:
E9NlYWSXsAMICfz.png

9.PNG

On top of her being in the demo at all, something that Ashley and even fellow co-star Jimmy, can't say for themselves.

Get It Together is providing Mona a major push, treating her like the crucial, important character to the series that she is and I really hope even more comes from it. It says something when she get's more promotion and push then Ashley, who is really not treated like more than another member of the cast now. During the Wii U era that felt unthinkable.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Necessary weasel gimmick is a really poor and dismissive way to put it. It is a proper evolution of the formula and I do think that the already positive reception of the playability of the cast and promising pre-order performance of Get It Together are spelling out very good things for the future of the Ware cast in general.

Mona in particular is looking to really have things going her way now. They already put her front and center when introducing the playable cast aside from Wario in the debut trailer and now they did it again with the demo home screen icon:
View attachment 327049

And this multiplayer mode title card:
View attachment 327050
View attachment 327051

On top of her being in the demo at all, something that Ashley and even fellow co-star Jimmy, can't say for themselves.

Get It Together is providing Mona a major push, treating her like the crucial, important character to the series that she is and I really hope even more comes from it. It says something when she get's more promotion and push then Ashley, who is really not treated like more than another member of the cast now. During the Wii U era that felt unthinkable.
Honestly, it depends on the context (positive or negative), but okay.

It would be awesome if this game can push Mona enough to get her into Smash as one of the next Marioverse additions without anyone having to rely on Koizumi for that purpose. It's about time that she got this kind of attention as one of the series veterans, even if it's currently limited to this game.

That being said, the multiplayer splash art is fantastic, I wonder who drew it.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
While I don't deny that Nintendo's sudden, yet VERY welcome, push of Mona is definitely assisting her in being more of a presence to the public eye... does anyone else feel as though if G.I.T. ends up warranting a Twitter account all to itself (bonus points if it converts to a general Wario Twitter account), and Mona (of all characters) is made 'the head/co-head of it' (a'la Isabelle 'running' the Animal Crossing Twitter), that might solidify Nintendo's little push here at supposedly making her a major player going forward?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
While I don't deny that Nintendo's sudden, yet VERY welcome, push of Mona is definitely assisting her in being more of a presence to the public eye... does anyone else feel as though if G.I.T. ends up warranting a Twitter account all to itself (bonus points if it converts to a general Wario Twitter account), and Mona (of all characters) is made 'the head/co-head of it' (a'la Isabelle 'running' the Animal Crossing Twitter), that might solidify Nintendo's little push here at supposedly making her a major player going forward?
Possibly, though I'm not quite sure if it would be enough to push them into actually getting over their departments' cold feet habit of reluctantly using characters made by others (Ashley's influence was limited because she couldn't even get into Mario Kart or other spin-offs). But it would definitely be a start.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Possibly, though I'm not quite sure if it would be enough to push them into actually getting over their departments' cold feet habit of reluctantly using characters made by others (Ashley's influence was limited because she couldn't even get into Mario Kart or other spin-offs). But it would definitely be a start.
Well, it looks like my initial thoughts about this may have been semi-debunked, what with Wario supposedly running Nintendo of Europe's Twitter. Despite that, I think Mona's still got a shot at being more relevant than she currently is.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
https://twitter.com/FranchiseWario/status/1431273143038091272

We now know what Mona's home looks like. Those nose fountains are the best thing ever.
While I always figured Mona's place of residence was essentially a mansion, I have to say that I'm really loving all of the little additional bells-and-whistles surrounding her house, such as the nose fountains, the insect-themed statuary and Rhythm Heaven moai in her front yard, and the references to Touched and her love of noses.

By the way, folks. WW: G.I.T. has apparently broken its street date in Hong Kong, so beware spoilers, I guess.

Last edited:

Golden Icarus

Smash Lord
WarioWare is awesome. Mega Party Games for the GameCube was one of my absolute favorite games as a kid, so I've always had a connection to that game's characters. I haven't played nearly as much of the more recent WarioWare games, so I never felt the Ashley hype. Jimmy T., Mona and 9-Volt have always been my favorite choices if we ever got a second Wario character.

And right now I'm pretty damn excited for Get It Together! The demo was really fun and Mona was probably my favorite playable character from it. Yeah I'd love to have her in Smash. Support!

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
WarioWare is awesome. Mega Party Games for the GameCube was one of my absolute favorite games as a kid, so I've always had a connection to that game's characters. I haven't played nearly as much of the more recent WarioWare games, so I never felt the Ashley hype. Jimmy T., Mona and 9-Volt have always been my favorite choices if we ever got a second Wario character.

And right now I'm pretty damn excited for Get It Together! The demo was really fun and Mona was probably my favorite playable character from it. Yeah I'd love to have her in Smash. Support!
Sorry for the late reply, I had to take care of some stuff. Anyways, Golden Icarus Golden Icarus ! You're officially hired as a valued member of Mona Pizza! Welcome!

By the way, I've been meaning to ask you all... does anyone else find it a bit unusual that G.I.T. isn't being advertised as the SECOND game to have Wario and the Ware crew being directly playable? I mean, weren't they all playable in Mega Party Games?

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
By the way, I've been meaning to ask you all... does anyone else find it a bit unusual that G.I.T. isn't being advertised as the SECOND game to have Wario and the Ware crew being directly playable? I mean, weren't they all playable in Mega Party Games?
Well it makes sense, it's more attractive to the consumer if it's a bold new idea rather than something that's been done before.

Also I never played Mega Party Games so it was new to me

warelander

Smash Journeyman
Thing about Mega Party Games is that you play as the cast, but not directly in the microgames themselves (Wario in his microgames aside), which is probably what they are refering to.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I played Mega Party Games, but that's solely because I wasn't allowed to have portables back then. Also, MPG was basically the first game ported to the big screen but with new cutscenes anyway, so.

That said, Krazy's enthusiasm for the new game is growing. First Ashley, now her:

There was a problem fetching the tweet

Top Bottom