• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cutest Multitasker Rides into Battle! Mona for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
But yeah, I knew for a while that AD were creatively exhausted from constantly cranking out nothing but M&L games. Paper Jam was even more divisive than Dream Team, and the remakes introduced technical issues that never were in the originals (especially BiS).

I'm not sure what's going to even happen after this.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
But yeah, I knew for a while that AD were creatively exhausted from constantly cranking out nothing but M&L games. Paper Jam was even more divisive than Dream Team, and the remakes introduced technical issues that never were in the originals (especially BiS).

I'm not sure what's going to even happen after this.
I just hope those poor folks can find some work, or Nintendo just buys them out.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
There was a problem fetching the tweet

I came across this Twitter post on Monday, and while I'm not saying it holds water, I do find it interesting to think about...

I mean, the selection of non-playable characters seems a little... specific, doesn't it? I mean, why not just use EVERY character embodied as a Spirit in the game for these Friend Icons? As we can see, Nintendo simply re-used whatever artwork was used for a character's Spirit anyway, so...

D

Deleted member

Mona is my favourite Wario character alongside Captain Syrup!

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I mean, the selection of non-playable characters seems a little... specific, doesn't it?
The thing I mainly find odd about it is that the only non-playable Pokemon you can use as a profile icon that isn't a legendary is Slowpoke. Why not have all the Pokemon you can find in Poke Balls?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hmm, that is a fair point. Not to mention that Shantae has an icon there too, not having a category for her and being the only spirits-only third-party to have that distinction.
Oh, yeah. I remember you and quite a couple of others bringing up that very fact about how interesting (and kind of odd) it was to see Shantae being the ONLY 3rd party character found in the Friend Icon list whose universe was ONLY represented by Spirits.

In fact, remember how I mentioned in my last post, the whole thing about how most of the Friend Icon's selection of non-playable characters seeming oddly... 'specific'? Honestly, Shantae's one of those characters on this list that make me feel like I might want to give Boundary Break's theory a bit more credit...

I should also add that, in regards to Mona, I'm pretty sure she's the only Wario character on that list who currently doesn't have a big role in Smash Ultimate (outside of being a Spirit). Wario-Man is Wario's FS, Ashley's an AT, Kat & Ana are Master Spirits in World of Light (Not to mention, they were also Assists in Brawl and Smash 4), and 5-Volt is the Gamer stage's stage hazard.

All this being said, Mona does seem to be requested for Smash rather fairly (Nowhere even close to the amount of requests Ashley gets, and maybe even less than Kat & Ana, but I'd say Mona's still pretty up there).

The thing I mainly find odd about it is that the only non-playable Pokemon you can use as a profile icon that isn't a legendary is Slowpoke. Why not have all the Pokemon you can find in Poke Balls?
That's exactly the point I was trying to make before. Apparently, the non-playable characters' Friend Icons simply use whatever was used for said NPCs' Spirits. I don't see why they didn't just give EVERY character found as a Spirit in the game a Friend Icon to use (like Jimmy T.).

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Not going to lie, hearing this makes me a bit more confident in Mona, as I doubt she's requested that often, but she at least has the uniqueness of her various jobs being used in her hypothetical moveset going for her.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Not going to lie, hearing this makes me a bit more confident in Mona, as I doubt she's requested that often, but she at least has the uniqueness of her various jobs being used in her hypothetical moveset going for her.
Not to mention that she isn't acknowledged much as having seniority over the more popular Ashley, who's already ATed, so the chances of an :ultisabelle: being pulled in this case are low.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Not to mention that she isn't acknowledged much as having seniority over the more popular Ashley, who's already ATed, so the chances of an :ultisabelle: being pulled in this case are low.
Exactly. Although... I heard some news today that came from the Geno thread, and according to StrawHatX StrawHatX ...

So I’m not sure if I heard correctly or not, but I believe over in the Geno thread it’s been talked about that some insiders have heard about some possible promotions in future DLC, but not to expect too many.

I don’t know which insiders have said this or how much validity it has, but it makes me a lot more hopeful for Golden Boi. Also it’s worth noting I don’t think it’s been clarified if this includes AT’s or only spirits or what.
Like they said, there's no confirmation that this is totally what will happen in the future, but it makes me think. Like I always say, I don't hate Ashley or even dislike her for that matter and if she gets in Smash, that's nice for her fans. I'm just more of a Mona fan first and foremost.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Seeing as Waluigi has been poked at openly and YCG were quite happy about seeing Shovel Knight as an AT, I kinda doubt that ATs will get promotions anyway. Because some habits die hard. In any case, we do have the breadcrumb of Mona being among the online icons.

For now though, I'll just trust in Sabi rather than other random people.

https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1192710116924985346

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Seeing as Waluigi has been poked at openly and YCG were quite happy about seeing Shovel Knight as an AT, I kinda doubt that ATs will get promotions anyway. Because some habits die hard. In any case, we do have the breadcrumb of Mona being among the online icons.

For now though, I'll just trust in Sabi rather than other random people.

https://twitter.com/New_WabiSabi/status/1192710116924985346
Yeah, there is still Mona's friend icon. Speaking of which, I've decided to give Boundary Break's theory some credence, if only because the characters chosen for those icons (IMO) seem like rather... 'particular' choices (Especially in regards to misc. characters like Shantae, the Chorus Kids, and Lip. Just to name a few.)

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey, has anyone been hearing rumors about a new WarioWare coming to Switch?
Since, like, forever. It's one of those perennial rumors that always keep popping up regardless of veracity, like Metroid Prime Trilogy. However, I do have high hopes that it'll pan out. WarioWare is not ending anytime soon, so it makes sense to have a game on Switch eventually.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Hey Mona fans, I haven't posted in this thread for almost a year lol! What's up? I heard about Shesez's theory about Nintendo collecting data off of peoples' portrait sections and measuring the data to see which characters has the most popular online icons and I got to say, that could actually be true. Not saying it is, but I had a similar theory awhile back about how they were doing the same thing with the Smash 4 DLC Mii costumes and look at that: :ultinkling:, :ultchrom:, :ultkrool:, and :ultisabelle: were all DLC Mii costumes from Smash 4 that got promoted into playable characters in Ultimate. Maybe a couple of more of those costumes are coming as DLC characters in Ultimate like Lloyd Irving and Geno since we haven't seen their costumes return yet.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Since, like, forever. It's one of those perennial rumors that always keep popping up regardless of veracity, like Metroid Prime Trilogy. However, I do have high hopes that it'll pan out. WarioWare is not ending anytime soon, so it makes sense to have a game on Switch eventually.
Yeah, cause I've been hearing rumors about this floating around for a while. I mean, WWG even hinted at WarioWare for the Switch being a reality, didn't it?

Hey Mona fans, I haven't posted in this thread for almost a year lol! What's up? I heard about Shesez's theory about Nintendo collecting data off of peoples' portrait sections and measuring the data to see which characters has the most popular online icons and I got to say, that could actually be true. Not saying it is, but I had a similar theory awhile back about how they were doing the same thing with the Smash 4 DLC Mii costumes and look at that: :ultinkling:, :ultchrom:, :ultkrool:, and :ultisabelle: were all DLC Mii costumes from Smash 4 that got promoted into playable characters in Ultimate. Maybe a couple of more of those costumes are coming as DLC characters in Ultimate like Lloyd Irving and Geno since we haven't seen their costumes return yet.
Speaking of which, I wonder if Shesez still holds to that theory...

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
So my idea with Mona is to give her a moveset where she's basically playing microgames with each smash, throw and special. Her down-air cooks an egg, her up-smash makes toast, and her forward tilt brushes with a giant toothbrush, just as some examples.

Ideally a "success/failure" would be incoroporated into each microgame attack, where success conveys benefits to her, but failure doesn't necessarily mean the attack fails, it's just not as strong as it could be. This may have some strategic applications in competitive battles where she deliberately "fails" an attack to make it cancel early and put the opponent in a frame trap situation (a situation where she can perform another action before they recover from the previous attack).

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So my idea with Mona is to give her a moveset where she's basically playing microgames with each smash, throw and special. Her down-air cooks an egg, her up-smash makes toast, and her forward tilt brushes with a giant toothbrush, just as some examples.

Ideally a "success/failure" would be incoroporated into each microgame attack, where success conveys benefits to her, but failure doesn't necessarily mean the attack fails, it's just not as strong as it could be. This may have some strategic applications in competitive battles where she deliberately "fails" an attack to make it cancel early and put the opponent in a frame trap situation (a situation where she can perform another action before they recover from the previous attack).
As I've said before, with Wario having an original moveset (in a manner of speaking, I guess?) and Ashley most likely having her magic abilities make up the bulk of her moveset, it would be perfectly fitting for Mona to use the microgames themselves in her moveset.

PsychoJosh

Caught a glimpse of my old moveset for Mona and got bored so I drew up another technique for her. This time it's her down special.

Added it to the rest of my gallery for her moveset. https://imgur.com/a/EEaCV

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Caught a glimpse of my old moveset for Mona and got bored so I drew up another technique for her. This time it's her down special.

Added it to the rest of my gallery for her moveset. https://imgur.com/a/EEaCV
Sorry for not saying this earlier, but I love how you managed to implement Mona's animal friends here! Now that I think about it... I wonder if Nintendo was trying to give Mona something of a 'Snow White' angle with all of these pets...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, following the reveal of ARMS (A Nintendo IP) getting a playable character this June, who here thinks Mona may have a shot?

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
So, following the reveal of ARMS (A Nintendo IP) getting a playable character this June, who here thinks Mona may have a shot?
If it's Spring Man, just know she has some big competition in the form of Ashley.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
If it's Spring Man, just know she has some big competition in the form of Ashley.
While I expected someone to bring up the double-edge sword that is Ashley, I'm still holding out hope for our beautiful hard-working redhead.

That said though, I may not get a chance to do this again, so...

I don't know, I guess you bringing up how Ashley may end up in the running again made it fitting.

PsychoJosh

While I'd love to see Mona get some attention, I think I've just about had my fill of Smash for a lifetime. I really can't stand Ultimate.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, I guess we can hope for Boundary Break's little Name Tag theory may mean something. I wouldn't put THAT much stock into it, but I feel like it's still worth thinking about.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
So, uh, I can hardly wait for the ARMS reveal to happen, mainly because 1) covering the same discussion points ad nauseam is tiring and 2) maybe FP7 will be shown shortly afterwards. Nintendo might have more unexpected announcements soon besides that.

There's something cool coming for Blaster Master Zero tomorrow.

Save the bees (but please don't let them get near me)!

That's all I got, take it away smashkirby.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, uh, I can hardly wait for the ARMS reveal to happen, mainly because 1) covering the same discussion points ad nauseam is tiring and 2) maybe FP7 will be shown shortly afterwards. Nintendo might have more unexpected announcements soon besides that.

There's something cool coming for Blaster Master Zero tomorrow.

Save the bees (but please don't let them get near me)!

That's all I got, take it away smashkirby.
Thank you for the bump, KirbyWorshipper2465 KirbyWorshipper2465 .

Anyways, I just wanted to bring up an interesting (and depending on how you look at it,, REALLY cringey, even for the late 2000's/early 2010's) thing I came across.

Do any of you know about the YT flash-animated series, Super Mario Bros. Z? If you do, then you might be aware of the fact that a reboot of the series is currently in development. That said, during the series' original run, many ideas were thought of and later scrapped. One idea that was scrapped was... well, take a look for yourself...

The series' creator even released a mock-up of what 'Emona' would have looked like too:

Of course, I'll never say no to more Mona (she IS my favorite WarioWare character, after all), but this idea... just... no. Besides, even if this idea truly came to fruition, I'd think there was another WW character who'd be far more fitting for the scenario...
1590374274658.png

That being said, I can't deny that it would have been epic to see Mona and the rest of Diamond City's inhabitants make a guest appearance in SMBZ! Actually, I do hope they appear in the SMBZ reboot!

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Anyways, I just wanted to bring up an interesting (and depending on how you look at it,, REALLY cringey, even for the late 2000's/early 2010's) thing I came across.

Do any of you know about the YT flash-animated series, Super Mario Bros. Z? If you do, then you might be aware of the fact that a reboot of the series is currently in development. That said, during the series' original run, many ideas were thought of and later scrapped. One idea that was scrapped was... well, take a look for yourself...

The series' creator even released a mock-up of what 'Emona' would have looked like too:

Of course, I'll never say no to more Mona (she IS my favorite WarioWare character, after all), but this idea... just... no. That being said, I can't deny that it would have been epic to see Mona and the rest of Diamond City's inhabitants make a guest appearance in SMBZ!
That idea is terrible, but did you say SMBZ is coming back? That **** was my jam, really happy to see they're continuing the story.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That idea is terrible, but did you say SMBZ is coming back? That **** was my jam, really happy to see they're continuing the story.
Yeah, just awful. Honestly, I don't think I even want to know what kind of a rep Mona would garnered from it...

Oh, yeah! It really is! He even released the first ep. of the reboot quite some time ago, and he's still working on the second ep.

It's looking so much better, thanks to the technology we have today. I'm a bit sad things like the Pipe Maze story are being shortened/removed outright (I think I'm one of the few who liked that episode, really), but it's great to see him taking another crack at it.

That said, I actually do hope more of the extended 'Mario-verse' is showcased in the reboot, including (but not limited to) Diamond City and its inhabitants. Speaking of which, while I wouldn't want the city and its citizens destroyed (like in the original idea), I think it'd be a fairly interesting storyline to see the city under siege by Mecha Sonic, forcing Mario, Sonic, and the others to defend it.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Yeah, just awful. Honestly, I don't think I even want to know what kind of a rep Mona would garnered from it...

Oh, yeah! It really is! He even released the first ep. of the reboot quite some time ago, and he's still working on the second ep.

It's looking so much better, thanks to the technology we have today. I'm a bit sad things like the Pipe Maze story are being shortened/removed outright (I think I'm one of the few who liked that episode, really), but it's great to see him taking another crack at it.

That said, I actually do hope more of the extended 'Mario-verse' is showcased in the reboot, including (but not limited to) Diamond City and its inhabitants. Speaking of which, while I wouldn't want the city and its citizens destroyed (like in the original idea), I think it'd be a fairly interesting storyline to see the city under siege by Mecha Sonic, forcing Mario, Sonic, and the others to defend it.
Oh boy I need to rewatch it then. I really liked the Pipe Maze episode as well, probably one of the most memorable for me.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2

Of course, I'll never say no to more Mona (she IS my favorite WarioWare character, after all), but this idea... just... no. Besides, even if this idea truly came to fruition, I'd think there was another WW character who'd be far more fitting for the scenario...View attachment 272668

That being said, I can't deny that it would have been epic to see Mona and the rest of Diamond City's inhabitants make a guest appearance in SMBZ! Actually, I do hope they appear in the SMBZ reboot!
Lol! That was a terrible idea thinking of turning Mona into a powerful DBZ emo chick and I'm glad they didn't go through with that. But I wonder if Mona would be more popular within the Smash fanbase today than Ashley if they went through with this because a lot of Geno fans including myself were first introduced to Geno in Smash Kingdom and Bowser's Kingdom at the time. Not to say that is where all of Geno's popularity came from, but it certainly gave birth to a lot of new Geno fans.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh boy I need to rewatch it then. I really liked the Pipe Maze episode as well, probably one of the most memorable for me.
You really should! It looks SO much better than the original. Personally, I really hope the creator changes his mind on the Pipe Maze though...

Lol! That was a terrible idea thinking of turning Mona into a powerful DBZ emo chick and I'm glad they didn't go through with that. But I wonder if Mona would be more popular within the Smash fanbase today than Ashley if they went through with this because a lot of Geno fans including myself were first introduced to Geno in Smash Kingdom and Bowser's Kingdom at the time. Not to say that is where all of Geno's popularity came from, but it certainly gave birth to a lot of new Geno fans.
Honestly... as bad of an idea as that was, I (and apparently a lot of folks in that Twitter thread) have always thought the same thing in regards to Mona's popularity, had she been added to SMBZ at all.

Let's be honest, it's not like she was that big of a name even within Nintendo circles back then anyways, so I can't help but wonder what would her fanbase be like today, had she been involved in what could arguably be considered one of the biggest Flash-animated series on YT at the time.

Last edited:

Laniv

Smash Lord
Hey guys, what do you think Mona's reveal trailer would be like if she was ever added?
I think I said this in Smash 4, but I'd love to have a Mona trailer where she shows up to deliver pizza to Wario and co. and then attacks when Wario stiffs her

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think I said this in Smash 4, but I'd love to have a Mona trailer where she shows up to deliver pizza to Wario and co. and then attacks when Wario stiffs her
Well, it'd certainly be in-character for a Mona reveal trailer. Maybe after he stiffs her, Mona would chase after Wario all the way into Smash Bros., ad once she gets there, she'd narrowly dodge all kinds of projectiles being thrown at her from other Smashers while hunting Wario down.

By the way, I'd like to show you all something...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
For those who missed the news earlier this week, Min Min from ARMS has been confirmed to the DLC character kicking off FP2. Considering how Min Min was one of base-game Ultimate's 1000+ Spirits, it looks like that our favorite redheaded every-girl might just be back in the running!

Top Bottom