• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cutest Multitasker Rides into Battle! Mona for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
That's the first I heard of it, mind elaborating on it? :shyguy:
The same day as Microsoft and Bethesda's E3 conferences, a guy named Vergeben listed a bunch of stuff he heard, including a Switch WW, most of which turned out to be correct and a lot of which (ex: keanu reeves being in Cyberpunk) wasn't rumoured beforehand

Of course WW wasn't shown at E3, but he didn't say it was going to either

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
The same day as Microsoft and Bethesda's E3 conferences, a guy named Vergeben listed a bunch of stuff he heard, including a Switch WW, most of which turned out to be correct and a lot of which (ex: keanu reeves being in Cyberpunk) wasn't rumoured beforehand

Oh, him. His track record with his sources is inconsistent. That being said, he did manage to get some good sources this time. Metroid 5 in particular seems interesting enough, that's the first I've heard of an upcoming 2D Metroid. This might bear fruit.

And I agree on the Contra bit, graphics look a bit on the cheap side.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
Oh, him. His track record with his sources is inconsistent. That being said, he did manage to get some good sources this time. Metroid 5 in particular seems interesting enough, that's the first I've heard of an upcoming 2D Metroid. This might bear fruit.

And I agree on the Contra bit, graphics look a bit on the cheap side.
Even if he got fibbed with the last two items, i think a new WW being out soon-ish is likely because of that tease in Gold. I can't see WW being a series warranting mid-development reboots

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Well well, I hadn't read this before E3 because I didn't want to spoil myself (and good thing, that Keanu part was mind-blowing). New Perfect Dark, WarioWare and the long-desired Metroid Dread would be even more amazing games for the amazing 2019-2020 period we're getting. Verge has been hit-or-miss, but I'd wager on a new WarioWare being made and getting revealed before Q3 2020, probably on a regular Nintendo Direct.

Also love the comment about the new Contra looking like **** because yes it does.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I just looked into Smash Ultimate's unused Spirit Battles (Yes, apparently EVERY Spirit was going to have a Spirit Battle), and apparently Mona was going to have one too! You guys aren't going to believe it, but take a wild guess as to who's Puppet Fighter clone her soul would have ended up possessing.

I'll say this much, the Smash Ultimate dev team must have been really paying attention to source material to make Mona's planned Spirit Battle come full-circle the way it was going to.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Hey guys, I just looked into Smash Ultimate's unused Spirit Battles (Yes, apparently EVERY Spirit was going to have a Spirit Battle), and apparently Mona was going to have one too! You guys aren't going to believe it, but take a wild guess as to who's Puppet Fighter clone her soul would have ended up possessing.

I'll say this much, the Smash Ultimate dev team must have been really paying attention to source material to make Mona's planned Spirit Battle come full-circle the way it was going to.
Uhhh I'mma go with WFT.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

This guy?? :ultgnw:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
It was going to be Wario, except he was going to spam his side special all the time, and also his side special had lots of buffs (increased speed and attack power).

Daryuu

Smash Rookie

That´s interesting, but I´m still wondering why they would remove Jimmy and Mona.
Those two are literally the most important characters after Wario. Kinda makes no sense to me:sadeyes:.

It was going to be Wario, except he was going to spam his side special all the time, and also his side special had lots of buffs (increased speed and attack power).
Wait really?! I mean I get it, it makes sense. But I always kinda thought she would posses Daisy,
always seemed to be the closest to Mona in my eyes. Even Daisy´s red skin looks a lot like Monas dress from Gold.
I mean Wario could still be there as well in his red biker skin and spamming side-B.

Also am I the only one who thoughts about a deeper meaning of Mona´s spirit making Down-B stronger:confused:,
like making the :4wario:Waft stronger for some reason...

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Also am I the only one who thoughts about a deeper meaning of Mona´s spirit making Down-B stronger:confused:,
This really sounds to me like "haha what if Mona was a spirit that helped out his farts haha wouldn't that be funny haha".

It's okay to have a fetish just don't make it everyone else's business. lol

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Wow... and here I thought I was the only one who noticed the unfortunate irony in the function of Mona's Spirit...:ohwell:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
Yeah...let's not take this discussion too far.

I don't remember her spirit battle, bit it could be in reference to her original set of minigames being gross out.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
What's this about a scrapped Spirit Battle?

I guess with Wario being her choice, it makes sense since he is her main motivation and they have vehicle moves.

Shame it was removed, but at least her Spirit is in the game at all.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
What's this about a scrapped Spirit Battle?

I guess with Wario being her choice, it makes sense since he is her main motivation and they have vehicle moves.

Shame it was removed, but at least her Spirit is in the game at all.
Yeah, it turns out that just about EVERY collectible Spirit (in the base game version of Smash Ultimate) was going to have a Spirit Battle. So Enhanceable Spirits (i.e. Bandana Waddle Dee, Devilish Dr. Kawashima, Angry 5-Volt), Summonable Sprits (i.e. Mona, Jimmy T., DJ Octavio), and Purchasable Spirits (Kururin and his Helirin, Beetle from Excitebots) could all be fought on the Sprit Board (most likely after they were acquired at least once).

This being said, Mona's Spirit Battle would have involved her soul possessing a puppet clone of Wario (in his red biker outfit) of all people. In you didn't see it earlier, this was what I meant in an earlier post about how it was neat to see Smash Ultimate's dev team have things come full-circle with WarioWare Gold having Mona mention how she admires Wario's fashion sense, and now she could actually fight in his body (in a sense).

As PsychoJosh PsychoJosh has said, Mona would have had the Wario puppet she was possessing spam the usage of the latter's motorcycle, and just about all aspects of the move would have been buffed up (Such as increased speed and attack power). Only thing I find a bit odd is that the battle would have taken place on Omega-form Mario Bros. Considering WarioWare's primary setting, I kind of thought the battle would taken place in New Donk City or something.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
As PsychoJosh PsychoJosh has said, Mona would have had the Wario puppet she was possessing spam the usage of the latter's motorcycle, and just about all aspects of the move would have been buffed up (Such as increased speed and attack power). Only thing I find a bit odd is that the battle would have taken place on Omega-form Mario Bros. Considering WarioWare's primary setting, I kind of thought the battle would taken place in New Donk City or something.
This makes sense to me, since WW is primarily about video games.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
This makes sense to me, since WW is primarily about video games.
Still, a retro Nintendo stage is more appropriate for 9-Volt, although the one his spirit battle got is still a good choice since Gamer is set in his bedroom.

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I’d like to see Mona in smash! You can count my vote as a supporter for sure. I’ll probably have a moveset drafted up for her soon since I’ve got a couple ideas as to what a unique mechanic for her could be, so expect one in the coming hours to next day!

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Hey, I’d like to see Mona in smash! You can count my vote as a supporter for sure. I’ll probably have a moveset drafted up for her soon since I’ve got a couple ideas as to what a unique mechanic for her could be, so expect one in the coming hours to next day!
And done!

CA87B279-45C2-4587-BD77-B3506EDE94BE.jpeg

As usual, feel free to use it in OP if you’d like!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
And done!

View attachment 231850

As usual, feel free to use it in OP if you’d like!
Wow, I never would have thought of a playable Mona that would ALWAYS be on her moped during battle! Personally, I always figured Mona would use her moped as a faster, yet weaker version of Wario's motorcycle. That said, this moveset is beautiful! I see you really thought this out!

Dorayaki

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. At first I saw Mona as the main heroine for Warioware despite Ashley dominates the popularity among the Warioware crew. Just her position isn't as dominant as Peach (and also Dixie) since the Warioware crew are mostly equivalent in the games. But as she is an original crew member since very first Warioware title I think she deserves some recognition. I definitely support her and JimmyT to be in both Smash bros and debut in a Mario spinoff.

Last edited:

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Wow, I never would have thought of a playable Mona that would ALWAYS be on her moped during battle! Personally, I always figured Mona would use her moped as a faster, yet weaker version of Wario's motorcycle. That said, this moveset is beautiful! I see you really thought this out!
Thanks! Originally, a lot of the ideas in this moveset were going to go to an Excite biker fighter, but I garnered some interest in mona after someone had suggested her as a possibility, so when I was studying up on just what all she could do, I noticed she was almost always on her moped being chased by someone, so I figured “why not make her moveset about that?”

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Thanks! Originally, a lot of the ideas in this moveset were going to go to an Excite biker fighter, but I garnered some interest in Mona after someone had suggested her as a possibility, so when I was studying up on just what all she could do, I noticed she was almost always on her moped being chased by someone, so I figured “why not make her moveset about that?”
Interesting. So your moveset for Mona... forgive me, but I've been meaning to ask you, will it include ALL aspects of Mona's various jobs throughout the series?

MrElectroG64

Smash Journeyman
Interesting. So your moveset for Mona... forgive me, but I've been meaning to ask you, will it include ALL aspects of Mona's various jobs throughout the series?
I'm not quite sure I follow on the question being asked here. I tried to include as many aspects of what she's done in all her segments, though I may have sacrificed a few, as I don't really remember all of them off the top of my head right now.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
There's.... there's... there's MORE DLC on way AFTER the 5th Fighter's Pass character??? I swear, I think I almost shed a tear....

Anyone think Mona (or ANYONE from either of Wario's games) still have a chance here?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
There's.... there's... there's MORE DLC on way AFTER the 5th Fighter's Pass character??? I swear, I think I almost shed a tear....

Anyone think Mona (or ANYONE from either of Wario's games) still have a chance here?
Just about anyone except, well, a certain AT. It's hard to tell at this stage, but it'd be nice.

But I don't care about that right now, I'm just glad that my assumption about the WOL slot datamine amounting to something got proven true. :bobomb:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend

Well if I was a betting man I would bet on Ashley over Mona. But! You never know.

Daryuu

Smash Rookie

Probably depends on how the next DLC Fighters are handled and how the Wario-Franchise will do in the futere.

Speaking of it, did you guys seen the announcement of the new switch accessorie? You can see it on
Nintendos Twitter but it´s basically a rubber wheel with an JoyCon inside, while the other one is attached to your leg.
Probably a new Wii Fit (or Switch Fit) but this thing seems like it has more potential for different games as well
and it might be cheaper than the balance board. I already saw some people talking about how this could be used
in an new WarioWare game, so what do you guys think about it?

Well at the very least I´m interested in the information they give to us in a week.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Probably depends on how the next DLC Fighters are handled and how the Wario-Franchise will do in the future.
Good point. Hopefully, it'll do well enough to warrant a new Wario character (Hopefully Mona?)

Speaking of it, did you guys seen the announcement of the new switch accessory? You can see it on
Nintendo's Twitter but it´s basically a rubber wheel with an JoyCon inside, while the other one is attached to your leg.
Probably a new Wii Fit (or Switch Fit) but this thing seems like it has more potential for different games as well
and it might be cheaper than the balance board. I already saw some people talking about how this could be used
in an new WarioWare game, so what do you guys think about it?

Well at the very least I´m interested in the information they give to us in a week.
Well, seeing as how WarioWare is rather notable for the majority of those games taking advantage of a Nintendo console's main gimmick, I guess we'll see, won't we?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Since literally anyone is in the running, it is hard to say if Mona is a lock Wario-wise

There are still the kindergarten twins and young witch to think about.

Still, I am looking forward to this boost of morale.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Since literally anyone is in the running, it is hard to say if Mona is a lock Wario-wise

There are still the kindergarten twins and young witch to think about.

Still, I am looking forward to this boost of morale.
Yeah, I've been thinking the same thing. I feel as if Kat & Ana being Master Spirits leaves them in a better position than Ashley, and even the latter could happen if fans are vocal enough. This being said, I think that Mona's in a decent position, what with Nintendo using her in almost as much promotion as the red witch herself.

Still, we should probably advocate for Mona more than before. You know, just to be safe and all.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Anyone is free to make a Mona for Smash Twitter if they want to campaign for her. As for me, I am at my limit with accounts, so that is not happening.

Just as long as we can push for our girl as hard as possible.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
>AlphaDream is ded due to poor BiS sales
I'm honestly getting worried about WW now. Did Gold do well enough?
In Japan, WW Gold sold 130-140k in 2018 depending on which sales tracker you use (lowest had it at 128k, highest 138k, both without download sales). For comparison, here's how other 2018 3DS games sold in the country:

Detective Pikachu: 106.977

Luigi's Mansion: 90.50

Captain Toad 3DS: 84.130

Mario & Luigi BIS remake: 20.678 (yes, this is its entire lifetime sales; previously the Superstar Saga remake sold 72k)

Sushi Striker: 2.652

Notable 3rd party releases:

Etrian Odyssey Nexus: 100.422

Persona Q2: 98.388

So yeah, while not *huge* numbers, it being the best by a comfortable margin of a bad bunch and the amount of promotion NCL gave the game for months after the fact would also indicate to me they were satisfied with its performance. It's also worth noting the game's performance avert the trend of declining sales most "dead" Nintendo series (like F-Zero and Probably M&L) faced, as the game did more in its first month than G&W did over its entire lifetime despite an arguably more unfavorable release context.

Last edited:

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
Er... I'm pretty sure WarioWare isn't really developed by AlphaDream .
I think the intended thought process was "AlphaDream went bankrupt because its late 3DS games bombed so if WW Gold bombed that would be bad for the series". The whole AlphaDream situation isn't really applicable to anything WarioWare though.

I don't think anyone at Nintendo sat down and edicted "Well those late remakes bombed so Mario & Luigi is dead. Forever." AlphaDream went bankrupt because it was an independant developer that was long hurting behind the scenes, failed to adapt to rising development costs, and literally had no notable assets or IPs, with its only notable games being owned by another company (which is why independant developers typically are not eager to work on pre-existing series btw), which mean they had no assets to fall back on when their bread and butter started to decline and nothing to entice investors . None of this really applies to WW's creative team, which is one half an internal nintendo team and one half a far more succesful independant developer with a much closer relationship to Nintendo.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I think the intended thought process was "AlphaDream went bankrupt because its late 3DS games bombed so if WW Gold bombed that would be bad for the series". The whole AlphaDream situation isn't really applicable to anything WarioWare though.
Ah, I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

I don't think anyone at Nintendo sat down and edicted "Well those late remakes bombed so Mario & Luigi is dead. Forever." AlphaDream went bankrupt because it was an independent developer that was long hurting behind the scenes, failed to adapt to rising development costs, and literally had no notable assets or IPs, with its only notable games being owned by another company (which is why independent developers typically are not eager to work on pre-existing series btw), which mean they had no assets to fall back on when their bread and butter started to decline and nothing to entice investors . None of this really applies to WW's creative team, which is one half an internal Nintendo team and one half a far more successful independent developer with a much closer relationship to Nintendo.
Oh, man. This just makes what happened to AlphaDream all the more sad. Maybe if they did a bit more with Tomato Adventure, it would have helped them? Then again, Nintendo does own the IP...

Well, good to know.

Never actually thought AD were indie though, you'd think they'd be more like Camelot.
Yeah, exactly. Until now, I even thought they WERE fully owned by Nintendo, unlike I.S. or Camelot.

Top Bottom