• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cutest Multitasker Rides into Battle! Mona for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I don't think I've asked before, but can you put me on the support list please. Mona is my favorite character out of the Warioware cast.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hmm, I wonder how many of those Japanese VAs are in-house.

Oh, definitely. You know what kind of ironic? At this point, I'd say that Chunky isn't the only one suffering from this problem. Heck, the entire Kong clan (outside of DK, Diddy, Dixie, Cranky, and Funky) are currently in a very similar situation to that of Jimmy's family.

Yeah, I did some checking around and apparently it looks like neither 13-Amp or Lulu show up as Spirits in Smash Ultimate. Heck, anyone who was new to the series via Gold doesn't seem to show up as Spirits for that matter.
Yeah...I get that Retro wanted to do something different for Returns, but taking out nearly everyone for bland replacements (only DK, Diddy and Cranky were left) was never going to blow over well. Though I think they'll gradually be coming back, with TF being the first step. And we can be sure that K. Rool will return.

Heck, even Star Allies got spirits and music referencing its game, WW pretty much just has Gold's artwork for series regulars. Shows how much the series suffered from Game & Wario's sales.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I don't think I've asked before, but can you put me on the support list please. Mona is my favorite character out of the Warioware cast.
Hmm... well, the person who owns the thread won't be coming back here anytime soon. I'm... pretty sure I'M in charge of this thread now, but... you might be waiting a while to get onto the support list, as SmashBoards is having some trouble transferring ownership over to different users...

Hmm, I wonder how many of those Japanese VAs are in-house.
All of them have prior work in anime or visual novels but none beside 18-Volt's actor (who got a proeminent role in Doraemon) are very famous.
Yeah, I've been wondering that myself. But from what I've been able to look up in regards to some of the VA's so far, it looks a sizable portion of the JP voice cast ISN'T in-house, surprisingly enough. Looks like Ninty had to sort of pay out of pocket for a majority of these guys...

Yeah...I get that Retro wanted to do something different for Returns, but taking out nearly everyone for bland replacements (only DK, Diddy and Cranky were left) was never going to blow over well. Though I think they'll gradually be coming back, with TF being the first step. And we can be sure that K. Rool will return.

Heck, even Star Allies got spirits and music referencing its game, WW pretty much just has Gold's artwork for series regulars. Shows how much the series suffered from Game & Wario's sales.
Oh, yeah! According some source on DKVine, Retro wanted to use Rare's material for quite some time, but NINTENDO themselves told them nope (this included using the Kremlings in Returns and Tropical Freeze, BTW).

As for Gold, I can't help but wonder if it was just a case of coming in development at the wrong time, honestly.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hmm... well, the person who owns the thread won't be coming back here anytime soon. I'm... pretty sure I'M in charge of this thread now, but... you might be waiting a while to get onto the support list, as SmashBoards is having some trouble transferring ownership over to different users...
I can confirm that it's no longer a basic option the forum has. We have to do a newfangled method of finding a post of yours that is older than the first post of the topic and copy it over/move it over.

Otherwise, a new thread can be started. So Azure gave the thread over to you, correct?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Oh, yeah! According some source on DKVine, Retro wanted to use Rare's material for quite some time, but NINTENDO themselves told them nope (this included using the Kremlings in Returns and Tropical Freeze, BTW).

As for Gold, I can't help but wonder if it was just a case of coming in development at the wrong time, honestly.
Seems likely, much like ARMS and Xenoblade 2 characters being reduced to physical consolation prizes.
That said, it's no surprise, seeing as Nintendo has shown to not have the foggiest clue what to do with Donkey Kong after Rare left. So in this sense, :ultkrool:'s inclusion is the wake-up call that was finally needed.

Well, that and Retro did want to put Rool in the TF port, but Sakurai beat 'em to the punch. Which is a good thing, given that Retro takes its sweet time making games at all these days...

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I can confirm that it's no longer a basic option the forum has. We have to do a newfangled method of finding a post of yours that is older than the first post of the topic and copy it over/move it over.

Otherwise, a new thread can be started. So Azure gave the thread over to you, correct?
Yeah, pretty much. I mean, I was sort of hoping to keep this thread around since we've done quite a bit here, and I'm not too confident it'd get much attention in a whole new thread. If you would't mind, could we just keep this one for now?

Seems likely, much like ARMS and Xenoblade 2 characters being reduced to physical consolation prizes.
That said, it's no surprise, seeing as Nintendo has shown to not have the foggiest clue what to do with Donkey Kong after Rare left. So in this sense, :ultkrool:'s inclusion is the wake-up call that was finally needed.

Well, that and Retro did want to put Rool in the TF port, but Sakurai beat 'em to the punch. Which is a good thing, given that Retro takes its sweet time making games at all these days...
Yeah, pretty much. I should probably mention that Sakurai apparently called DIBS on bringing back K. Rool. I don't know why, but something about that is just so hilarious to me.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, pretty much. I mean, I was sort of hoping to keep this thread around since we've done quite a bit here, and I'm not too confident it'd get much attention in a whole new thread. If you would't mind, could we just keep this one for now?
Sounds good. I'll talk to the moderation and see if you can become the strict owner of the thread.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Sounds good. I'll talk to the moderation and see if you can become the strict owner of the thread.
Really? Well, thank you!

I knew of that, yes. It's probably comical because Retro took too long to do even that. :p
I'll be honest, what I truly found funny is the possible idea that game developers can actually call dibs on things like this. Don't get me wrong, the fact that it took THIS long for Retro to be allowed to do anything with Rare's material (I say it like that because of how I'm much more well-informed on the situation of Retro being forbidden by Nintendo themselves from using Rare's DK stuff, rather than that method being of their own volition).

BTW, I came across something that rather took me by surprise (and put a smile on my face, honestly). Guess who made someone's 'top 10 most-wanted for Smash Ultimate' list the day after Ultimate's release?

https://levelskip.com/fighting/Top-...hould-be-DLC-in-Super-Smash-Brothers-Ultimate

I'm probably going to be biased for saying it, but I feel like some good points were brought up here in Mona's favor.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Really? Well, thank you!

I'll be honest, what I truly found funny is the possible idea that game developers can actually call dibs on things like this. Don't get me wrong, the fact that it took THIS long for Retro to be allowed to do anything with Rare's material (I say it like that because of how I'm much more well-informed on the situation of Retro being forbidden by Nintendo themselves from using Rare's DK stuff, rather than that method being of their own volition).

BTW, I came across something that rather took me by surprise (and put a smile on my face, honestly). Guess who made someone's 'top 10 most-wanted for Smash Ultimate' list the day after Ultimate's release?

https://levelskip.com/fighting/Top-...hould-be-DLC-in-Super-Smash-Brothers-Ultimate

I'm probably going to be biased for saying it, but I feel like some good points were brought up here in Mona's favor.
So, do you think the reason why there was a long stretch between Returns and TF was due to Nintendo being hesitant? Either that, or a combo of both this and Retro making too many polygons.

That said, this is a really great list, especially with my greatest want at number one. Although they probably should have listed Max Brass or Dr. Coyle for the ARMS character, seeing what happened to SM and RG (although then again the IP is too recent in general). And I like how Mona is specifically noted to not be a WaPeach.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, do you think the reason why there was a long stretch between Returns and TF was due to Nintendo being hesitant? Either that, or a combo of both this and Retro making too many polygons.
Hmm... I mean, I wouldn't say there was a long stretch between the two (Wasn't it, like, 4 years in between the two games?). What's more, I don't think Nintendo was really hesitant about anything regarding DK, but moreso the Kremlings.

That said, this is a really great list, especially with my greatest want at number one. Although they probably should have listed Max Brass or Dr. Coyle for the ARMS character, seeing what happened to SM and RG (although then again the IP is too recent in general). And I like how Mona is specifically noted to not be a WaPeach.
Yeah, I'm personally not completely ruling an ARMS character being playable out of the question just yet. As for Mona, I also absolutely adore how the article makes a rather big point over how Mona (despite her role as Wario's female co-star) is definitely NOT the 'Wah-'equivalent of Princess Peach (considering how she's Mario's MAIN female co-star) or even Princess Daisy's 'Wah-'equivalent (What with her and Mona being redheads and whatnot).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Hmm... I mean, I wouldn't say there was a long stretch between the two (Wasn't it, like, 4 years in between the two games?). What's more, I don't think Nintendo was really hesitant about anything regarding DK, but moreso the Kremlings.
In any case, it felt long, given that there was bupkis in terms of other Donkey Kong games released during that period (Well, except the Mario Vs. DK stuff, but that's different.). So it's just Retro making the game for 4 years, then.

Support <3
WELCOME TO WARIO W--er I mean Wah-lcome aboard.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Happy New Year, my fellow Hardworking Subordinates! (I... can't help but feel like the Mona thread might need a different name for its support list...)

Support <3
And there's our first new supporter of 2019!

In any case, it felt long, given that there was bupkis in terms of other Donkey Kong games released during that period (Well, except the Mario Vs. DK stuff, but that's different.). So it's just Retro making the game for 4 years, then.
Oh, guess you have a point there.

Hey guys, what would you all say to the idea of the next WarioWare having voice acting? I know it's a sudden question, but I'm just curious here.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Happy New Year, my fellow Hardworking Subordinates! (I... can't help but feel like the Mona thread might need a different name for its support list...)

And there's our first new supporter of 2019!

Oh, guess you have a point there.

Hey guys, what would you all say to the idea of the next WarioWare having voice acting? I know it's a sudden question, but I'm just curious here.
I'm cool with it, Gold's got the most performances Martinet has had in a while.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'm cool with it, Gold's got the most performances Martinet has had in a while.
In fact, Martinet's performance as Wario in that game... just amazing. Like, that game made me legit question why Nintendo limits Wario to short little voice clips. I mean, Gold's entire voice cast was just stellar and I really hope they're brought back for all future games honestly.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
In fact, Martinet's performance as Wario in that game... just amazing. Like, that game made me legit question why Nintendo limits Wario to short little voice clips. I mean, Gold's entire voice cast was just stellar and I really hope they're brought back for all future games honestly.
That was probably the biggest surprise about Gold to me. It was weird realizing it had full voice acting but it was so much more fun than I ever expected.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That was probably the biggest surprise about Gold to me. It was weird realizing it had full voice acting but it was so much more fun than I ever expected.
Same here! Honestly, I never thought I'd see the day where a M.E.U. (Mario Extended Universe) game would have (full-fledged) voice acting, but here we are! As I've said before, the fact that we'd be getting voice acting in a WarioWare game... I mean, it may sound wrong of me to say it, but this was enough to make me look forward to this game's release.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That's some nepotism I'm more than fine with. :p
After Ashley, there's a part of me that wonders if that'd be such a good idea.

...Buuuuuuuut, after almost half a decade of Ashley shilling, another part of me might not mind the extra Mona promotion...

Heck, I wonder if that's already happening now, when you consider how Mona's being promoted side-by-side with Ashley in a number of things recently...

Could you imagine Mona wearing a Waluigi costume and saying ''MONA IS NUMBER ONE!!!'' I can. ;)
Honestly, I can see her doing that in a way that sort of 'cutely' teases Wario's mannerisms. I mean, she's already known to wear her own version of Wario's biker outfit AND his classic overalls look, so...

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I always found it odd that Mona was in a kimono selling meat buns. Diamond City seems like a distinctly American city since it has a football team.

Daryuu

Smash Rookie
I always found it odd that Mona was in a kimono selling meat buns. Diamond City seems like a distinctly American city since it has a football team.
It´s not a kimono it´s one of these chinese dress, since they sell chinese food and Cricket and Mantis are supposed to be chinese martial artist. At least I think that´s the reason.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Young Cricket's PV, Mona appears in the video
Thanks for posting this here, Derpy619 Derpy619 !

As I've said before, I really did think that Nintendo would leave the oddity of Young Cricket possibly being the little boy in ‘Kung-Fu Ball’ as a ‘riddle for the ages’! This said, it's nice to see them outright give a solid answer on this once and for all!

Although, I do have to wonder (and I'm a bit surprised that no one else seems to have asked this question yet)... whatever happened to Cricket's (supposed) classmate here? Now that Cricket and Master Mantis' character trailer (among many other things) seems to outright confirm that that R.H. and WarioWare truly share the same universe, I have to wonder what she's doing now.

It´s not a kimono it´s one of these Chinese dress, since they sell Chinese food and Cricket and Mantis are supposed to be Chinese martial artist. At least I think that´s the reason.
Oh yeah, a qipao, sorry.
Speaking of Mona, I have to admit that I'm really liking the callback to Smooth Moves. Can I just say that she is really ROCKING that qipao? Heck, this is even tied with her cheerleader outfit as my favorite of Mona's various dresses!

One thing though (and it's certainly not a complaint on my part). Is it just me, or is Mona's hair... EXTREMELY long here? Like, I can't for the life of me, remember having seen it be that long before. Not even in Smooth Moves, the same game where this qipao design was used and her hair seemed to be at its longest. I mean, I know she's a bit of a fashionista, but this seems like a LOT of hair conditioner...

By the way, it just occurred to me... not only is Wario and Rhythm Heaven’s connection stronger than ever thanks to this trailer, but Rhythm Heaven may as well be considered part of the ‘extended Mario universe’ now! Speaking of which, that Karate Joe cameo? Awesome.

Also, I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade by asking this (and maybe this is just me), but does anyone else feel like Ashley was kind of... 'shoehorned' in here?
I mean, I know all she had was a quick 'blink-and-you'll-miss-it' cameo here (and I'm not complaining about it), but unless I'm wrong... Ashley doesn't really have any history with Cricket and Mantis, bar Ashley and Red's character trailer from last Halloween (AFAIK). I mean, maybe there's something in the Japanese lore for WarioWare, and I just never came across it. If someone could fill me in, it'd be appreciated.

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Thanks for posting this here, Derpy619 Derpy619 !

As I've said before, I really did think that Nintendo would leave the oddity of Young Cricket possibly being the little boy in ‘Kung-Fu Ball’ as a ‘riddle for the ages’! This said, it's nice to see them outright give a solid answer on this once and for all!

Although, I do have to wonder (and I'm a bit surprised that no one else seems to have asked this question yet)... whatever happened to Cricket's (supposed) classmate here? Now that Cricket and Master Mantis' character trailer (among many other things) seems to outright confirm that that R.H. and WarioWare truly share the same universe, I have to wonder what she's doing now.

Speaking of Mona, I have to admit that I'm really liking the callback to Smooth Moves. Can I just say that she is really ROCKING that qipao? Heck, this is even tied with her cheerleader outfit as my favorite of Mona's various dresses!

One thing though (and it's certainly not a complaint on my part). Is it just me, or is Mona's hair... EXTREMELY long here? Like, I can't for the life of me, remember having seen it be that long before. Not even in Smooth Moves, the same game where this qipao design was used and her hair seemed to be at its longest. I mean, I know she's a bit of a fashionista, but this seems like a LOT of hair conditioner...

By the way, it just occurred to me... not only is Wario and Rhythm Heaven’s connection stronger than ever thanks to this trailer, but Rhythm Heaven may as well be considered part of the ‘extended Mario universe’ now! Speaking of which, that Karate Joe cameo? Awesome.

Also, I don't mean to rain on anyone's parade by asking this (and maybe this is just me), but does anyone else feel like Ashley was kind of... 'shoehorned' in here?
I mean, I know all she had was a quick 'blink-and-you'll-miss-it' cameo here (and I'm not complaining about it), but unless I'm wrong... Ashley doesn't really have any history with Cricket and Mantis, bar Ashley and Red's character trailer from last Halloween (AFAIK). I mean, maybe there's something in the Japanese lore for WarioWare, and I just never came across it. If someone could fill me in, it'd be appreciated.
Rhythm Heaven Mégamix had an Ashley doll in it, via the rhythm museum. That's it.

It could be worse though, her cameo for Tank Troopers is so blatant that she never actually showed up in the game: https://www.mariowiki.com/images/6/63/Ashley_tank_troopers.jpg

At any rate, I did hear that the Japanese site for Smooth Moves has in-universe character blogs.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Rhythm Heaven Mégamix had an Ashley doll in it, via the rhythm museum. That's it.
See, this is sort of what bugged me about Nintendo's Ashley shilling around the Wii U era. Her cameo in Rhythm Heaven Megamix? That, I can accept Ashley making a cameo in... because it actually makes a bit more sense in context (and to be fair, the ENTIRE WarioWare cast got to make special guest appearances here alongside her, which REALLY helped to soften the blow by a rather large margin).

But this...

It could be worse though, her cameo for Tank Troopers is so blatant that she never actually showed up in the game: https://www.mariowiki.com/images/6/63/Ashley_tank_troopers.jpg
This right here just feels... unneeded, and sort of added to my growing dislike of the (at-the-time) near-shameless Ashley promotion while the rest of WarioWare got quietly shelved away, with its future uncertain after Game & Wario.

At any rate, I did hear that the Japanese site for Smooth Moves has in-universe character blogs.
Oh, yeah. I've heard about these, but from what I know/heard, barely any of these have been translated (if at all).

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Tetrin

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-7468-3675-9681
I love Ashley, but I love Mona just a bit more. Add me to the support list!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It is I, the ex thread owner for Mona's thread so who owns it again?

Oh right, give me a list of new supporters that wanted to be on the list since I stepped down smashkirby smashkirby

It would had been easy to chance the OP permissions, but we all know why it can't happen.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I love Ashley, but I love Mona just a bit more. Add me to the support list!
It is I, the ex thread owner for Mona's thread so who owns it again?

Oh right, give me a list of new supporters that wanted to be on the list since I stepped down smashkirby smashkirby

It would had been easy to chance the OP permissions, but we all know why it can't happen.
Sorry for the late reply, folks. Anyways, from what I can tell... the following appear to want to be on the support list:

Grimnir Grimnir
R RetrogamerMax
JadeBladeGamer22 JadeBladeGamer22
Tetrin Tetrin

Glowsquid Glowsquid I don't know if you wanted to be added.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Thank you. ;)
Hey, don't mention it! Trust me, if this whole limitation on transferring ownership of threads to other people wasn't a issue, I would have added you guys already.

As long as I'm here, I should ask... what do you guys think of the possibility of Wario getting one of those mini-trailers like those chumps... er, his beloved employees?

Last edited:

Daryuu

Smash Rookie
Hey, don't mention it! Trust me, if this whole limitation on transferring ownership of threads to other people wasn't a issue, I would have added you guys already.

As long as I'm here, I should ask... what do you guys think of the possibility of Wario getting one of those mini-trailers like those chumps... er, his beloved employees?
There´s actually a pretty high chance he might get one as well. When the trailer for Young Cricket appeared on nintendos japanese twitter it also said something like, "Who will appear next time, look forward to it". I think they always said something like that, but by now everybody except Wario already
got a mini-trailer.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
There´s actually a pretty high chance he might get one as well. When the trailer for Young Cricket appeared on nintendos japanese twitter it also said something like, "Who will appear next time, look forward to it". I think they always said something like that, but by now everybody except Wario already
got a mini-trailer.
Oh, really? I didn't know that. Welp, I guess Wario really is the last character left for these things (and it'll probably include a cameo by Lulu as well).

By the way, guys. I've been wondering, does anyone else think a Wario character is due for an appearance in a Mario spinoff game? I just feel like the timing's right, you know? Well... IMO, the timing's BEEN right for almost 15 years, but what are you going to do, right?

Top Bottom