• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cutest Multitasker Rides into Battle! Mona for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly, I absolutely adore Wario's cast of characters (Ware AND Land games). Personally, I'd like to think that it's not too much of a stretch to say that they all seem to have more personality in just a few games than Mario and his overarching cast have had in nearly his entire series.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Honestly, I absolutely adore Wario's cast of characters (Ware AND Land games). Personally, I'd like to think that it's not too much of a stretch to say that they all seem to have more personality in just a few games than Mario and his overarching cast have had in nearly his entire series.
The funny thing I that I can agree with this.

Sure the Mario cast do have their moments in the series, but the are still underdeveloped and lacking in memorable moments and dialogue compared to the WarioWare cast. It's like Bowser and Luigi who really gets the most moments in the Mario series.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, I've just been wondering... if Mona does end up being playable in Smash Ultimate, what do you think they'll use as the 'basis' (so to speak) of her design? Her original design from 2003-2010 or her Gold design (of which is a heavily modified version of her original look anyways).

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
They always use the original design as a base. So it'll probably be her very first design from 2003 with the exposed midriff and everything.

Daryuu

Smash Rookie
I think they will definetely use her Gold design as the base. Ware characters in smash has always been updated,
KatAna´s assist trophy was changed from SSBB to SSB4. Also Ashley´s assist trophy has red eyes now in SSBU and
not black ones like she has in SSB4 and Game&Wario. They also use the mona in her original and her touch design
for the stickers in Brawl, but changed it to her Game&Wario design for her trophy in Smash4. The stickers on the
Gamer stage has been updated as well.
It would be weird if they use her old design as a base, afterall they would want to use a second Ware character for
commercial purposes as well, also I almost see only positive reactions to her new design, with a few exceptions.

My guess would be, that they use her Gold design as a base, but they make her a bit taller (since Wario´s smash model
is also a bit taller then his Gold design). But it would be cool if they give her a skin of her original clothes :chuckle:.
Well at least I would make these kind of decisions if I were Sakurai.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Hey guys, I've just been wondering... if Mona does end up being playable in Smash Ultimate, what do you think they'll use as the 'basis' (so to speak) of her design? Her original design from 2003-2010 or her Gold design (of which is a heavily modified version of her original look anyways).
Well we do know that Gold does have some influence on Smash night now, so it will be that one.

Or just make a composite of Gold and the old look. That would be ideal.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
They always use the original design as a base. So it'll probably be her very first design from 2003 with the exposed midriff and everything.
I think they will definetely use her Gold design as the base. Ware characters in smash has always been updated,
KatAna´s assist trophy was changed from SSBB to SSB4. Also Ashley´s assist trophy has red eyes now in SSBU and
not black ones like she has in SSB4 and Game&Wario. They also use the Mona in her original and her touch design
for the stickers in Brawl, but changed it to her Game&Wario design for her trophy in Smash 4. The stickers on the
Gamer stage has been updated as well.
It would be weird if they use her old design as a base, after all they would want to use a second Ware character for
commercial purposes as well, also I almost see only positive reactions to her new design, with a few exceptions.

My guess would be, that they use her Gold design as a base, but they make her a bit taller (since Wario´s smash model
is also a bit taller then his Gold design). But it would be cool if they give her a skin of her original clothes :chuckle:.
Well at least I would make these kind of decisions if I were Sakurai.
Well we do know that Gold does have some influence on Smash night now, so it will be that one.

Or just make a composite of Gold and the old look. That would be ideal.
Yeah, I feel as if a compromise between her original design and her Gold design would be more ideal. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to just her Gold design being used. Just as long as she has her different outfits from the series' history available as usable alts., I'm good.

BTW, look at what I came across:

https://kotaku.com/the-unusual-effort-that-went-into-creating-warioware-go-1829840289 - Interview about Gold's development

https://kotaku.com/the-making-of-nintendo-s-best-nose-picking-game-1829686979 - Interview about the making of Nintendo's infamous nose-picking minigame.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yeah, I feel as if a compromise between her original design and her Gold design would be more ideal. Although, I wouldn't be opposed to just her Gold design being used. Just as long as she has her different outfits from the series' history available as usable alts., I'm good.

BTW, look at what I came across:

https://kotaku.com/the-unusual-effort-that-went-into-creating-warioware-go-1829840289 - Interview about Gold's development

https://kotaku.com/the-making-of-nintendo-s-best-nose-picking-game-1829686979 - Interview about the making of Nintendo's infamous nose-picking minigame.
Pretty sue we've talked about the nose picking game already.

But the general Gold interview looks good. I like how most of the microgames were easily ported with some changes while the not ported were made with ease. Meanwhile, I can understand the Twisted games being unlockables since well, the 3DS's gyro control aren't that good as the original GBA's and a lot of microgames needed the sensors.

“In the future,” he said, “if there’s new technology on new hardware that we can use in a new WarioWare title, then we’ll probably prep more unlockables with unique and interactive mechanics.”

But this part interested me. This more or less confirms that WarioWare Switch could happen if the hardware good enough for it and they will find new and interesting ways to play. I can easily see the potential in his.

D

Deleted member

We represent Pizza Dinosaur!
We got the most requests in the world!
Our fanbase is tough and our moves are thin.
But we are on every top ten so you gotta give in!

Mona fans' got nothing on us,
'Cause we have 6000 votes plus!
Pizza Dinosaur!
Pizza Dinosaur!
Wahahahahha! Wahahahahahha!

Last edited by a moderator:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I don't think it has enough for a character model. Gamer's stickers now use WW Gold art, but nothing else on the stage is updated to match Sneaky Gamer in WW Gold.

If Mona is DLC, then it'd be more likely she uses the Gold design.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Mona having the most unique alts of any characters would be a neat meta gag but I don't think they'd ever put that much effort for warioware
Sadly, I can agree since it's just that unrealistic.

I don't think it has enough for a character model. Gamer's stickers now use WW Gold art, but nothing else on the stage is updated to match Sneaky Gamer in WW Gold.

If Mona is DLC, then it'd be more likely she uses the Gold design.
Good point.

The stickers being Gold epresentation is just that easy to do since it's just artwork than a full character model.

Even Ashley's model still resembles Game & Wario, but with red eyes now.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Mona having the most unique alts of any characters would be a neat meta gag but I don't think they'd ever put that much effort for warioware
Sadly, I have to agree. Maybe if she was DLC, it'd be different, but for now her original look seems more likely.

If you all don't mind though, I have another question. If we get a story out of Ultimate, and Wario's depicted as a villain (or at the very least, the jerk he was in Subspace) do you all think Mona would be associated with him?

Daryuu

Smash Rookie
Sadly, I can agree since it's just that unrealistic.

Good point.

The stickers being Gold epresentation is just that easy to do since it's just artwork than a full character model.

Even Ashley's model still resembles Game & Wario, but with red eyes now.
Yeah you right, changing the stickers isn´t that much work.
Also never noticed Ashleys AT still has stockings on.
If Sakurai has to choose a design it would definitely be the newer on,
but it´s a different story if he didn´t knew about it.
Well Luigi already has his new vacuum cleaner from Luigis Mansion 3 and used it for his grabs,
so things could be sligthy adjusted.

But I still think if she get inside she would have her gold design, afterall if Sakurai wasn´t aware
of Gold this means the latest Warioware game would be Game&Wario.
Considering how bad that game was there would be no reason to think of a second Rep.:(
In other words I think she needs Gold to get inside, but we don´t know since when the game was planned.
The Ware team went throught some big changes in the year 2015 afterall, as far as I know.

Sadly, I have to agree. Maybe if she was DLC, it'd be different, but for now her original look seems more likely.

If you all don't mind though, I have another question. If we get a story out of Ultimate, and Wario's depicted as a villain (or at the very least, the jerk he was in Subspace) do you all think Mona would be associated with him?
Well at the very least I want those two to interact with each other.
I would wish for a Wario Final where you have to fight both of them
while Ware AT randomly spawn on the stage.
And the music would be Wario Deluxe music, that would be epic.

And we finally got the third Warioware Gold Character Trailer, which introduce Ashley.
That surprised me a bit, with Mona and Jimmy being first I tought Kat&Ana have to be next.
Well it might be because of Halloween, probably also the reason why her trailer is a whole minute
longer as Monas, at least I hope that is the reason........:psycho:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

It will be Ware's ending all over again. She wants to beat him up for his wrongdoings and force him to be a better person.

I don't see her even wanting to be a villain.

And we finally got the third Warioware Gold Character Trailer, which introduce Ashley.
That surprised me a bit, with Mona and Jimmy being first I tought Kat&Ana have to be next.
Well it might be because of Halloween, probably also the reason why her trailer is a whole minute
longer as Monas, at least I hope that is the reason........:psycho:
Halloween. Got to celebrate the spookiest time of the month after all.

I doubt it's a bias issue. Not like Mona needs to have a longer character trailer than Ashley.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Apologies for the double post, but this topic is up for grabs.

Since I am leaving for good, anyone can feel free to step up and own this thread.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Apologies for the double post, but this topic is up for grabs.

Since I am leaving for good, anyone can feel free to step up and own this thread.
I don't blame you man. The amount of toxicity and ****iness surrounding these recent leaks is actually making me warm up to Incinoroar and Steve, purely to spite this dumpster fire of a community.

Personally, I'd nominate smashkirby smashkirby to lead the charge in your absence. He's been one of the most consistent and reliable supporters on this thread, it'd just feel right to me to see him take the torch.

See you around buddy. You were an excellent leader while you were here, and I wish you the best of luck wherever you go.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
I don't blame you man. The amount of toxicity and ****iness surrounding these recent leaks is actually making me warm up to Incinoroar and Steve, purely to spite this dumpster fire of a community.

Personally, I'd nominate smashkirby smashkirby to lead the charge in your absence. He's been one of the most consistent and reliable supporters on this thread, it'd just feel right to me to see him take the torch.

See you around buddy. You were an excellent leader while you were here, and I wish you the best of luck wherever you go.
I second that Nomination! smashkirby smashkirby seems like the best option

Last edited:

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Hey, is everything alright, Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan ? What's this I'm hearing about you leaving SB? I mean, I'll take over the Mona thread if you all really feel like I'd be a good fit, but is everything OK?
I don't know him personally, but honestly with how much of a ****show things have gotten with the how intensely people want to believe/not believe the Grinch leaks, I don't blame him for bowing out. At first it was fun but now it's turning into attacks on others character and bullying, with people taking whether you believe or not as if it's an attack on them personally.

Can I just take this moment to say how much I appreciate this thread? While a lot of the threads I've been following has been either flooded with negativity over the Grinch, Vergeben, Box Theory or whatever, or has been so overly elated that they're circlejerking, acting as though it's a done thing despite the jankiness surrounding the Grinch pic. The Mona thread has always been a really chill place to just hang out and talk about WarioWare and Mona, which is a nice respite from it all.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Just send me a DM and I will tell you everything.
Uh... sorry, but do you mean PM? I'm probably wrong, just...

I don't know him personally, but honestly with how much of a ****show things have gotten with the how intensely people want to believe/not believe the Grinch leaks, I don't blame him for bowing out. At first it was fun but now it's turning into attacks on others character and bullying, with people taking whether you believe or not as if it's an attack on them personally.

Can I just take this moment to say how much I appreciate this thread? While a lot of the threads I've been following has been either flooded with negativity over the Grinch, Vergeben, Box Theory or whatever, or has been so overly elated that they're circlejerking, acting as though it's a done thing despite the jankiness surrounding the Grinch pic. The Mona thread has always been a really chill place to just hang out and talk about WarioWare and Mona, which is a nice respite from it all.
To be fair, Mona doesn't exactly have much to do with Smash like Ashley or even Kat and Ana, so she's spared from any heated debates for the most part.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, Mona doesn't exactly have much to do with Smash like Ashley or even Kat and Ana, so she's spared from any heated debates for the most part.
That's the wonderful thing about supporting an unlikely pick isn't it? Sure it may be slim odds of ever seeing them in, but it feels like without that extra stress and pressure of hoping and waiting, much more enjoyable discussion can be made without emotions flaring up and ruining everything.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
PM, DM, same thing.

Are you going to ask or what?

Because it's clear that I won't stay.
OK... Uh, dude. I understand that you're planning to take off and all, but could you please not have an attitude about it? I was just curious, is all.:(

That's the wonderful thing about supporting an unlikely pick isn't it? Sure it may be slim odds of ever seeing them in, but it feels like without that extra stress and pressure of hoping and waiting, much more enjoyable discussion can be made without emotions flaring up and ruining everything.
Exactly.

Grimnir

Smash Apprentice
I've been thinking how to put into words on why I like Mona and consider her the most worthy second character for Wario.

While it is true that she's from the original posse and was suggested to have a closer relationship with Wario than the other characters, I think the main appeal of her is that she really embodies the spirit of the series better than the rest.

Every other character can be summed up pretty easily or otherwise neatly fitted into a stereotype/archetype, but not Mona. Her character is just so wacky and...well, I guess you could say diverse, much like the minigames themselves. I feel like with Mona, there's so much you can do with her as a playable character that even someone who has never played a WarioWare game would get a "feel" for what they're like through her. With Ashley, for example, sure you might be able to make up a creative magic-based moveset for her, but how much of it would be WarioWare and how much would just feel like a stand-alone character? Well, that's how I see it at least. I don't have high hopes for Mona or any of the rest of the crew, but I feel like if Sakurai did pick one character to go all out on and make playable, it would be her.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I've been thinking how to put into words on why I like Mona and consider her the most worthy second character for Wario.

While it is true that she's from the original posse and was suggested to have a closer relationship with Wario than the other characters, I think the main appeal of her is that she really embodies the spirit of the series better than the rest.

Every other character can be summed up pretty easily or otherwise neatly fitted into a stereotype/archetype, but not Mona. Her character is just so wacky and...well, I guess you could say diverse, much like the minigames themselves. I feel like with Mona, there's so much you can do with her as a playable character that even someone who has never played a WarioWare game would get a "feel" for what they're like through her. With Ashley, for example, sure you might be able to make up a creative magic-based moveset for her, but how much of it would be WarioWare and how much would just feel like a stand-alone character? Well, that's how I see it at least. I don't have high hopes for Mona or any of the rest of the crew, but I feel like if Sakurai did pick one character to go all out on and make playable, it would be her.
You've pretty much conveyed my thoughts about the idea of Mona in Smash, and put them into words perfectly.

Speaking of which, the final Smash Ultimate direct is in 32 mins. everyone.

While I'm not banking on Mona being playable, I just want to say it's been a real pleasure speculating with you all. You guys are some of the most chill folks I've ever met. I also consider it an accomplishment that Mona ended up with as many supporters as she did. Pretty sure it's nowhere near Ashley's amount, but it's admirable regardless.

Heck, we even got some Ashley supporters to support Mona over the course of all of this. BTW, my condolences to any and all Ashley supporters for her de-confirmation back in August.

Once again, thanks for joining us on this little ride, guys. It's been a real trip.:)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So is she still in the running or nah?
Sadly, it looks like Mona's out of the running for playable characters (that is, if being a Spirit automatically de-confirms you). As I've said before though, I wasn't holding my breath, and I know this'll sound odd, but I actually kind of liked the little focus they gave her as one of the Spirits you'll need to rescue from that onslaught on the multiverse.

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
If being the spirit doesnt deconfirm, then imagine how amazing it would be to see Mona as dlc.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Sadly, it looks like Mona's out of the running for playable characters (that is, if being a Spirit automatically de-confirms you). As I've said before though, I wasn't holding my breath, and I know this'll sound odd, but I actually kind of liked the little focus they gave her as one of the Spirits you'll need to rescue from that onslaught on the multiverse.
Not necessarily. Take a look at this

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9takr3/a_character_already_confirmed_as_a_full_fighter/

I don't believe that being a Spirit is a de-confirmation for being a fighter.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Not necessarily. Take a look at this

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/9takr3/a_character_already_confirmed_as_a_full_fighter/

I don't believe that being a Spirit is a de-confirmation for being a fighter.
Oh, yeah. I've been hearing about this. Still though, I think Sakurai said DLC's already been planned out, and I don't exactly have high hopes on Mona being among them. Honestly, she's that character I see in the base game or not at all.

Still though, I'll be rooting for her either way. What's more (and this'll probably sound odd, I know), but I kind of hope she'll be one of the characters running the game's shop (It looks like NPCs will be interacting with you, running things like the shop and option to upgrade the Spirits).

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Oh, yeah. I've been hearing about this. Still though, I think Sakurai said DLC's already been planned out, and I don't exactly have high hopes on Mona being among them. Honestly, she's that character I see in the base game or not at all.

Still though, I'll be rooting for her either way. What's more (and this'll probably sound odd, I know), but I kind of hope she'll be one of the characters running the game's shop (It looks like NPCs will be interacting with you, running things like the shop and option to upgrade the Spirits).
I agree with you, but hey, she was always a long shot. Point is Sakurai is unpredictable (loving the hell outta Piranha Plant no matter what people say), most likely the DLC is gonna be for 3rd parties, fulfill fan desires like Geno, or as a glorified advertisements for franchises they want to push (I'm rooting for Shantae and Elma personally), but who's to say he won't add someone from left field again?

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Pirahna Plant seems fun, but I can't shake the feeling that Smash has now officially jumped the shark now that they're letting in generic Mario enemies as playable characters. Mainstream appeal, iconic status, or being an underdog, none of that stuff matters. Sakurai is just legitimately insane and does whatever he wants. He's a madman whose only goal is to take everyone down with him.

So yeah, Mona, Lip, Eggman, whatever. It doesn't matter. None of it matters. This whole thing about "chances" and "slots" and what have you is just a lie we tell ourselves. The truth is we don't know anything. Chaos rules this universe and there exist things beyond humanity's comprehension. Trying to ascertain the chances of a Smash character is like trying to quantify chaos theory.

Daryuu

Smash Rookie
Pirahna Plant seems fun, but I can't shake the feeling that Smash has now officially jumped the shark now that they're letting in generic Mario enemies as playable characters. Mainstream appeal, iconic status, or being an underdog, none of that stuff matters. Sakurai is just legitimately insane and does whatever he wants. He's a madman whose only goal is to take everyone down with him.

So yeah, Mona, Lip, Eggman, whatever. It doesn't matter. None of it matters. This whole thing about "chances" and "slots" and what have you is just a lie we tell ourselves. The truth is we don't know anything. Chaos rules this universe and there exist things beyond humanity's comprehension. Trying to ascertain the chances of a Smash character is like trying to quantify chaos theory.
Sakurai is just unpredictable.

I´m not really shocked that we didn´t got any new WarioWare content, but I wasn´t prepared to lose some.
Am I the only one sad about the fact that the Kat&Ana assist trophy was removed:sadeyes:.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I agree with you, but hey, she was always a long shot. Point is Sakurai is unpredictable (loving the hell outta Piranha Plant no matter what people say), most likely the DLC is gonna be for 3rd parties, fulfill fan desires like Geno, or as a glorified advertisements for franchises they want to push (I'm rooting for Shantae and Elma personally), but who's to say he won't add someone from left field again?
Good point!

Man, I can't believe to wonder what this means for Smash speculation. Like, is this the end of it all after Piranha Plant? Is everyone just going to stop trying at this point?

Sakurai is just unpredictable.

I´m not really shocked that we didn't got any new WarioWare content, but I wasn't prepared to lose some.
Am I the only one sad about the fact that the Kat&Ana assist trophy was removed:sadeyes:.
Hey, at least they still have SOME role in the game, right?

BTW, can I just say that it's STILL really throwing me for a loop right now that Galeem (Smash Ultimate's Thanos main antagonist) wiped out the ENTIRE Nintendo multiverse AND its inhabitants? Including (but not limited to) EVERYONE in Diamond City? Mona included, of course. I mean, just... WOW.

PsychoJosh

DLC is finalized. So we don't get a vote this time?

I like it.

I respect it. This opens up potential for out-of-left-field picks that people don't know they want, but after they see it, will desperately need.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
DLC is finalized. So we don't get a vote this time?

I like it.

I respect it. This opens up potential for out-of-left-field picks that people don't know they want, but after they see it, will desperately need.
Mona seems like one of those characters that Nintendo might choose, IMO.

Top Bottom