• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cutest Multitasker Rides into Battle! Mona for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
It was really only available to see in the between-games break if you pressed A enough times or in the credits sequence which you had to manually watch yourself, so a little bit.
Right, it was one of those rare costumes that would appear.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It was really only available to see in the between-games break if you pressed A enough times or in the credits sequence which you had to manually watch yourself, so a little bit.
Right, it was one of those rare costumes that would appear.
Ah, I see.

You know, I've sort of found it quite interesting how when Ashley was de-confirmed as a playable character back in Smash 4, the desire for another Wario character to be playable instead of her wasn't anywhere near as vocal as it is now.

I mean, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had to do with the lackluster sales of Game & Wario, when compared to WarioWare Gold's more successful venture.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Ah, I see.

You know, I've sort of found it quite interesting how when Ashley was de-confirmed as a playable character back in Smash 4, the desire for another Wario character to be playable instead of her wasn't anywhere near as vocal as it is now.

I mean, I wouldn't be at all surprised if it had to do with the lackluster sales of Game & Wario, when compared to WarioWare Gold's more successful venture.
What Glowsquid Glowsquid said.

Game & Wario was a flop and people at that point were convinced a new WarioWare character would never happen since the future of the series was uncertain. The Wii U was a dark age for many series at the time.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Making a good game energize the fans. Whod'a thunk?
One of those good ol' million-dollar questions...

What Glowsquid Glowsquid said.

Game & Wario was a flop and people at that point were convinced a new WarioWare character would never happen since the future of the series was uncertain. The Wii U was a dark age for many series at the time.
Gee, you could say that again.

What's more, it doesn't really help in how it seems like following Game & Wario's low sales (combined with releasing on the Wii U) seemed to suddenly give Ashley an even bigger push in marketing, to the point that Nintendo wouldn't even dare acknowledge the existence of the rest of the WW cast outside of her and the Big Wah himself (bar the entire cast's guest appearance in Rhythm Heaven Megamix)...

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Gee, you could say that again.

What's more, it doesn't really help in how it seems like following Game & Wario's low sales (combined with releasing on the Wii U) seemed to suddenly give Ashley an even bigger push in marketing, to the point that Nintendo wouldn't even dare acknowledge the existence of the rest of the WW cast outside of her and the Big Wah himself (bar the entire cast's guest appearance in Rhythm Heaven Megamix)...
Good thing that is changing.

These new videos on characters like Mona gives us hope that not only they are getting more focus, but the game was a bigger success than Game & Warrio ever was.

|Even then, there's still the big question over whether Wario deserves more than one character. Since some feel Wario is just fine by himself or again, Ashley.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

These new videos on characters like Mona gives us hope that not only they are getting more focus, but the game was a bigger success than Game & Warrio ever was.

|Even then, there's still the big question over whether Wario deserves more than one character. Since some feel Wario is just fine by himself or again, Ashley.
Definitely more than one. It's almost a crime how Wah-lone he's been since Brawl.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Definitely more than one. It's almost a crime how Wah-lone he's been since Brawl.
Right.

I wouldn't mind at least one Wario newcomer at all.

Look at DKC, it took years for K Rool to be in Smash. Meanwhile, Wario is all lonely despite having rich history of platformers and microgame collections.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It's hard to say if Wario deserves a newcomer because his games, while they were popular, don't light a candle to the sales the DKC trilogy made.

But right, there's no harm in us pushing for more than just Wario. Captain Syrup is out of luck since Sakurai pretends Wario Land never happened. So it's down to the WarioWare cast since they are more popular to Japanese audiences. Mona or no Mona.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

My thoughts exactly.

Right.

I wouldn't mind at least one Wario newcomer at all.

Look at DKC, it took years for K Rool to be in Smash. Meanwhile, Wario is all lonely despite having rich history of platformers and microgame collections.
It's hard to say if Wario deserves a newcomer because his games, while they were popular, don't light a candle to the sales the DKC trilogy made.

But right, there's no harm in us pushing for more than just Wario. Captain Syrup is out of luck since Sakurai pretends Wario Land never happened. So it's down to the WarioWare cast since they are more popular to Japanese audiences. Mona or no Mona.
Yeah, I feel as if Wario does deserve a second rep, and Mona might be it (for the reasons Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan has sated above).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

I think Land is a victim of circumstance. By Brawl, the Ware series was in full swing, and Land was dying, so promotion in Smash was focused on Ware. This became an unfortunate grandfather clause, especially when Ashley came along. For Syrup, her best chance at this point is for people to ask her in as a "retro" character, and she still stands more of a chance than, say, Wart and Tatanga, since she has more than two games to her name.

In the meantime, the journey to redemption starts with a single step, and I agree that Mona should be that step.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
She's cute as a button and I'd love her in Smash, count me in as a supporter!

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I absolutely think Wario deserves another rep. I also think it should be Mona. I also think Captain Syrup should be in as well. The Wario Land and Wario Ware series' are excellent but not wholly represented (though the Brawl WarioWare stage was absolutely brilliant so I'm excited for the return of it) and to me those two would be the perfect way to wholly represent the entire breadth of the Wario franchise.

I'm not saying Smash needs to be all-inclusive, I'm just saying if they were to buckle down and give both series' their fullest attention in the rep department someone who actually references and uses the microgames outside of Wario's hybrid movesets and someone who represents the transformative powers and special moves of Wario Land as well as Wario's antagonist are the two best picks.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I absolutely think Wario deserves another rep. I also think it should be Mona. I also think Captain Syrup should be in as well. The Wario Land and Wario Ware series' are excellent but not wholly represented (though the Brawl WarioWare stage was absolutely brilliant so I'm excited for the return of it) and to me those two would be the perfect way to wholly represent the entire breadth of the Wario franchise.

I'm not saying Smash needs to be all-inclusive, I'm just saying if they were to buckle down and give both series' their fullest attention in the rep department someone who actually references and uses the microgames outside of Wario's hybrid movesets and someone who represents the transformative powers and special moves of Wario Land as well as Wario's antagonist are the two best picks.
Nice thought. While I am not sure on the idea of Captain Syrup using Wario's transformations, it would a least help her stand out from more than pirate stuff and mechs. I would be quite satisfied with those two in Smash.

Even I wouldn't mind Ashley in the mix. Those three would make Wario more complete IMO.

NintenZ

Smash Legend
3DS FC
5343-8848-6075
Switch FC
SW-0570-4210-6061
Nice thought. While I am not sure on the idea of Captain Syrup using Wario's transformations, it would a least help her stand out from more than pirate stuff and mechs. I would be quite satisfied with those two in Smash.

Even I wouldn't mind Ashley in the mix. Those three would make Wario more complete IMO.
*̶C̶o̶m̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶b̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶W̶a̶l̶u̶i̶g̶i̶ ̶g̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶h̶e̶r̶e̶*̶

But yeah I agree Ashley and Mona would complete the Wario series for me, they’re the two most popular characters so far from it that aren’t Wario.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

But yeah I agree Ashley and Mona would complete the Wario series for me, they’re the two most popular characters so far from it that aren’t Wario.
This is what I can agree with.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

I agree. They would complete Wario in Smash for me as well.

Once again, I disagree with the notion that Mona would be an echo. A semi-clone? It's quite possible if she gotten a few moves unique from Wario that actually fit her than lol farts and other stuff that would be out of character. Late, I know. I felt this needed to be addressed since it's a common subject always brought up.
Late reply, but I understand what you're getting at.

This is why I suggested that maybe Mona could do something a bit similar. Like, rather than build up explosive intestinal gas over the course of a match, maybe she could use her cheerleading skills. As in, the longer she goes without using the cheer move, the stronger it gets to be used as a 'get-off-of-me' type attack. What's more, unlike how Wario's Wario Waft has to be sort of positioned carefully so you don't miss with it, Mona's cheer would have a much bigger range, leaving less room for error.

And rather than bite someone like a maniac, she could summon one of her animal friends to latch onto and pummel an opponent with the type of animal she summons being random and each animal would have a set amount of damage they would deal.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

Given that, I think Sakurai may be secretly encouraging fans to support characters other than Ashley for the time being. Mona would be great though, yes.

Although it's likely he didn't realise people actually wanted Waluigi in a bigger capacity than a Starfy-esque joke.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Given that, I think Sakurai may be secretly encouraging fans to support characters other than Ashley for the time being. Mona would be great though, yes.

Although it's likely he didn't realize people actually wanted Waluigi in a bigger capacity than a Starfy-esque joke.
You know, with the recent downplaying of Ashley's presence in Nintendo-media as of recent, and all the support WarioWare's cast outside of her have been getting lately, I feel as if Nintendo is purposely trying to accomplish this very thing.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You know, with the recent downplaying of Ashley's presence in Nintendo-media as of recent, and all the support WarioWare's cast outside of her have been getting lately, I feel as if Nintendo is purposely trying to accomplish this very thing.
I wouldn't go there.

But this is something interesting.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
I support, the Wario series has so many great characters worthy of being in Smash and Mona is definitely one of them.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I wouldn't go there.

But this is something interesting.
Yeah, I think I'm getting a little to ahead of myself...

But still, I feel as though we shouldn't ignore that Ninty seems a little more generous to the rest of the WW cast now, don't they?

I support, the Wario series has so many great characters worthy of being in Smash and Mona is definitely one of them.
Nice to see a fellow Mona supporter!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Yeah, I think I'm getting a little to ahead of myself...

But still, I feel as though we shouldn't ignore that Ninty seems a little more generous to the rest of the WW cast now, don't they?
He's open to a lot of characters. People can be like that.

Better than limiting options to just one sole character.

People who support Ashley can like Mona too. The last thing we should be is the thing we dislike: detractors.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
He's open to a lot of characters. People can be like that.

Better than limiting options to just one sole character.

People who support Ashley can like Mona too. The last thing we should be is the thing we dislike: detractors.
Well, of course. I mean, I'm not trying to become an Ashley detractor or anything like that. I was just noting that Nintendo seems more generous in giving the rest of the WarioWare cast some much-needed attention. I'm sorry if I'm coming off like that.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Well, of course. I mean, I'm not trying to become an Ashley detractor or anything like that. I was just noting that Nintendo seems more generous in giving the rest of the WarioWare cast some much-needed attention. I'm sorry if I'm coming off like that.
Whoops, though you meant NintenZ since that's one of his many nicknames.

Though you are right Nintendo is hating to realize that the marketing on the other chaactes is important since they are what made WarioWare what it was. Sure it was there fo Game & Wario, but we all know how bad that game failed and they would only depend on Ashley ever since. But Mona was in the April Fool's joke with her too.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Though you are right Nintendo is starting to realize that the marketing on the other characters is important since they are what made WarioWare what it was. Sure it was there for Game & Wario, but we all know how bad that game failed and they would only depend on Ashley ever since. But Mona was in the April Fool's joke with her too.
Remind me, what April Fool's joke are you talking about again?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Remind me, what April Fool's joke are you talking about again?
The Ashley video game, Mona appears on the same cover of it.

Second though, it's not her. Just some girl that looks close enough to her, but little.

Point is, Mona and the other cast getting more showcase since Gold is proof that Nintendo has more faith in the series than resorting to promotion of just Ashley to save it. It could remain that way if not another entry in the series flop.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The Ashley video game, Mona appears on the same cover of it.

Second though, it's not her. Just some girl that looks close enough to her, but little.
Oh, do you mean the girl to the 'immediate' left of Ashley with the short orange hair and blue dress holding the megaphone-looking weapon? For a while, I had a bit of trouble nailing down whether or not that was Mona, but eventually I figured it probably wasn't.

I thought if Nintendo could make Ashley instantly recognizable among this group (Even though Ashley admittedly does have a somewhat more... 'instantly notable' design than Mona, depending on how you look at it), why have Mona look so... 'ambiguous' by comparison, so to speak?

I'll say this though, I feel as if the designs of the two girls to the left of Ashley seem to look like they could very well be little shout-outs to both Mona and Penny. Well, moreso the Penny-looking girl than the Mona-looking girl, but that's just me.

Point is, Mona and the other cast getting more showcase since Gold is proof that Nintendo has more faith in the series than resorting to promotion of just Ashley to save it. It could remain that way if not another entry in the series flop.
Exactly. I'd like to hope that if WarioWare DOES happen for the Switch (I still feel as though Gold SHOULD have been released for that in the first place, but I sort of understand the various reasons as to why they probably didn't do so), that'll hopefully be what beings WarioWare back to the full prominence it used to have during the GCN/GBA/Wii era.

BTW, I wanted to post this below last night, but it kind of slipped my mind. warelander warelander , I hope you don't mind me posting this here.

https://wariofranchisefanblog.tumblr.com/post/178863683480/did-ashley-ruin-warioware

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
After how good Gold did, a Switch WarioWare is a must. Depends if the same team have a capable group handling the console's software.

Not that Smooth Moves was a big game on the Wii, most of the models for the 3D games were cleaply made, even for comical effect. This even holds true for the 3D in Game & Wario too.

Last edited:

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
I'm down for Mona, but it's pretty hard to choose to be honest. Mona, Syrup, Ashley? I'd be content with any of them as a new Wario rep.
Captain Syrup would be awesome. It wouldn't happen, but it'd still be great. Imagine a Shantae reveal trailer where Captain Syrup is alongside Risky, and revealed to be a newcomer!

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Captain Syrup would be awesome. It wouldn't happen, but it'd still be great. Imagine a Shantae reveal trailer where Captain Syrup is alongside Risky, and revealed to be a newcomer!
Gross. Just give me Syrup or Mona thanks.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
After how good Gold did, a Switch WarioWare is a must. Depends if the same team have a capable group handling the console's software.

Not that Smooth Moves was a big game on the Wii, most of the models for the 3D games were cheaply made, even for comical effect. This even holds true for the 3D in Game & Wario too.
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure Gold contains some hints at the possibility of WarioWare coming to the Switch at some point. Again, I could be wrong.

Wiziliz

Smash Journeyman
Gross. Just give me Syrup or Mona thanks.
I'm not actually huge on the idea of trailers that show newcomers from different series together, but it's an exception to me because I'd love to see Captain Syrup, and can't imagine them giving her alone a quality CG trailer like the rest of unique newcomers, and the CG trailer treatment would be the greatest way to reveal Captain Syrup, haha.

I can imagine an Isabelle-esque trailer for Mona. Not big and CG or hype, but still a lot of fun.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I can imagine an Isabelle-esque trailer for Mona. Not big and CG or hype, but still a lot of fun.
I would like this.

CG isn't everything and this is why we hardly get much traditional animation these days.

Koi's artstyle for WarioWare is good enough on its own.

Last edited:

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I picture the trailer for Mona be animated by Ko Takeuchi, and would go something like this:

Mona is just working at the gelateria from the first game, with Joe at her side. 9-Volt shows up and orders the usual thing he orders, probably something like triple fudge cookie dough with lots of sprinkles.

It's a slow work day so 9-Volt chats with Joe and Mona about how their day is going, and Mona brings up that she almost didn't arrive to work on time because she had stopped to read a letter someone sent her. She thinks it was inviting her to some sort of party, but her schedule is all booked up for the next month, so she decided to toss it away. Shame too, because it looked all fancy, and the envelope even had some kinda red wax seal on it.

9-Volt, at first, just keeps playing his Switch. But after a moment he stops and pauses the game.

"Wait... did you say a red wax seal?"

Mona replies "yeah, what of it?"

"C... can I see this letter?"

"Sure! It's right over there in the bin."

9-Volt digs the letter out of the trash, reads it for a moment and starts quivering.

"M... M... Mona! Do you have any idea what this letter is?!?"

After some explaining, Mona comes to realize that this invitation is to something considered among video game characters to be a very prestigious event, and it's one of the things Wario keeps being invited to. She sighs, knowing she has no time to do something like that, but Joe is aware that an opportunity like this doesn't come very often, and so he tells Mona she can take a paid vacation. Mona's eyes suddenly alight, and she asks Joe if he means it. Joe says he can hold down the fort while she's away and that this counts as an occasion that's too special to pass up, especially considering how hard and diligently Mona's been working for him over the past several years. Mona picks up the crumpled letter and thinks for a moment. Smash cut to Mona riding down the highway, several different angles of her scooter covered in travel stickers and with her bags packed, pan to her front side, freeze frame,

"Mona hits the road!"

Gameplay footage follows.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I picture the trailer for Mona be animated by Ko Takeuchi, and would go something like this:

Mona is just working at the gelateria from the first game, with Joe at her side. 9-Volt shows up and orders the usual thing he orders, probably something like triple fudge cookie dough with lots of sprinkles.

It's a slow work day so 9-Volt chats with Joe and Mona about how their day is going, and Mona brings up that she almost didn't arrive to work on time because she had stopped to read a letter someone sent her. She thinks it was inviting her to some sort of party, but her schedule is all booked up for the next month, so she decided to toss it away. Shame too, because it looked all fancy, and the envelope even had some kinda red wax seal on it.

9-Volt, at first, just keeps playing his Switch. But after a moment he stops and pauses the game.

"Wait... did you say a red wax seal?"

Mona replies "yeah, what of it?"

"C... can I see this letter?"

"Sure! It's right over there in the bin."

9-Volt digs the letter out of the trash, reads it for a moment and starts quivering.

"M... M... Mona! Do you have any idea what this letter is?!?"

After some explaining, Mona comes to realize that this invitation is to something considered among video game characters to be a very prestigious event, and it's one of the things Wario keeps being invited to. She sighs, knowing she has no time to do something like that, but Joe is aware that an opportunity like this doesn't come very often, and so he tells Mona she can take a paid vacation. Mona's eyes suddenly alight, and she asks Joe if he means it. Joe says he can hold down the fort while she's away and that this counts as an occasion that's too special to pass up, especially considering how hard and diligently Mona's been working for him over the past several years. Mona picks up the crumpled letter and thinks for a moment. Smash cut to Mona riding down the highway, several different angles of her scooter covered in travel stickers and with her bags packed, pan to her front side, freeze frame,

"Mona hits the road!"

Gameplay footage follows.
After how lenghty Izzy's reveal trailer was, I can see Mona's working in a similar way. Also, it NEEDS to be animated by Ko Takeuchi. No if, ands, or buts about it.

Top Bottom