• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cutest Multitasker Rides into Battle! Mona for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
True, so very true. Say, guys. What would you think of the idea of Mona getting revealed to be playable in Smash Ultimate via this direct?
It would be funny to see the reactions of random people online who were expecting a fan favorite to pop up instead. I don't give a crap about whatever salt they'll have, I'd love Mona to pop up in this Direct!

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
My apologies, you should be on now.

And yes, Mona's Pizza would make a good victory theme.

Shame, but what are we going to do? We have little control for how big Ashley's fandom is. But alas, what Mona needs is for her fans to be more vocal.
I always felt Mona would have been the better choice than Ashley tbh.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
It would be funny to see the reactions of random people online who were expecting a fan favorite to pop up instead. I don't give a crap about whatever salt they'll have, I'd love Mona to pop up in this Direct!
I'll be honest. While I certainly wouldn't rub it in their faces or anything like that, I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't at least want bask in some of that glory of Mona being confirmed for Smash...

I always felt Mona would have been the better choice than Ashley tbh.
Mona really does feel like she'd represent WarioWare's wacky humor much better than Ashley, wouldn't she?

TeamFlareZakk

I'll be honest. While I certainly wouldn't rub it in their faces or anything like that, I'd be lying if I said that I wouldn't at least want bask in some of that glory of Mona being confirmed for Smash...

Mona really does feel like she'd represent WarioWare's wacky humor much better than Ashley, wouldn't she?
That and well.. Wario should have his partner too!

smashkirby

Smash Hero
That and well.. Wario should have his partner too!
Oh, of course!:)

With Mona being added, I wonder if the whole 'Mona has a thing for Wario' factoid that so many people were shocked by would be brought up in Ultimate somehow.

To think Ashley's popularity is so great, people were THAT blindsided by Mona outright saying this in Gold, even though it's been a thing since the very first WarioWare game.

Daryuu

Smash Rookie
Hey I´m new on this site.
To say the true I kinda needed a place where I could unleash my smash hype and mona love a bit so here I am:).
Also I realized nobody ever mention the wario manga even though mona and wario are the main characters.
Well it´s only 7 pages long, but it´s still important to mention.
I think most people don´t knew about that one since there isn´t a english translation:ohwell:.
I tried to translate it even though my english is pretty bad.

If someone is interested: https://warioforums.com/threads/warioware-manga-wai-wai-wario.3186/#all :ultwario:

TeamFlareZakk

Oh, of course!:)

With Mona being added, I wonder if the whole 'Mona has a thing for Wario' factoid that so many people were shocked by would be brought up in Ultimate somehow.

To think Ashley's popularity is so great, people were THAT blindsided by Mona outright saying this in Gold, even though it's been a thing since the very first WarioWare game.
Thats how Peach and Daisy got in Smash so Mona can do it too!

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
To say the true I kinda needed a place where I could unleash my smash hype and mona love a bit so here I am:).
Also I realized nobody ever mention the wario manga even though mona and wario are the main characters.
I think most people don´t knew about that one since there isn´t a english translation:ohwell:.

If someone is interested: https://warioforums.com/threads/warioware-manga-wai-wai-wario.3186/#all:ultwario:
Wow, I never knew there was a WaroWare manga in existence.

That being said, I'll add you to the list while I read this.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

If someone is interested: https://warioforums.com/threads/warioware-manga-wai-wai-wario.3186/#all:ultwario:
Wow, I never knew there was a WaroWare manga in existence.

That being said, I'll add you to the list while I read this.
Hey, thanks for the link! You know, I'm pretty surprised at how WarioWare hasn't had an on-going manga by now...

Thats how Peach and Daisy got in Smash so Mona can do it too!
Yup!

Hey guys, I've been thinking about how Isabelle's been confirmed for Smash Ultimate, and it got me wondering... maybe Mona COULD be (at least) a semi-clone of Wario.

And before we all start prepping the pitchforks... NO, I don't mean Mona should suddenly start unleashing atomic-level explosive flatulence or start biting her opponents like a maniac. As Isabelle's shown us, she could use portions of Villager's moveset like their butterfly net or even Lloid, and slightly re-purpose them.

That said, maybe Mona could do something a bit similar. Like, rather than build up explosive intestinal gas over the course of a match, maybe she could use her cheerleading skills. As in, the longer she goes without using the cheer move, the stronger it gets to be used as a 'get-off-of-me' type attack. What's more, unlike how Wario's Wario Waft has to be sort of positioned carefully so you don't miss with it, Mona's cheer would have a much bigger range, leaving less room for error.

And rather than bite someone like a maniac, she could summon one of her animal friends to latch onto and pummel an opponent with the type of animal she summons being random and each animal would have a set amount of damage they would deal.

Daryuu

Smash Rookie
I think that would be a bit to forced. While I acknowledge she can copy certain attacks, for example his Side-B, his throws,
his F-tilts (if she use a handbag instead of a giant fist) or his Up-tilt (if she use those cheerleader things instead of giant hands, forget their names).
But it´s probably not enough to be a echo or a semi-clone:sadeyes: and I´m not sure if I would like that.

I think her best chances to be a clone would be if 3 things happen:
1. Sakurai include a Rythmn Heaven character
2. This character is a combination of the Chorus kids and a human (a girl would be best)
3. He make Mona an echo of that character with her animals instead of the Chorus kids, like Chrom she could echo certain attacks from Wario.
While echos normally had to be from the same franchise, this could be an exception if one consider how close those two games are.

I would like that but I´m not saying Sakurai should make this, afterall I unfortunaly don´t know enough about Rhytmn Heaven or their fans
to know if they would like it or not.
But I do think she doesn´t have any other potential as a clone besides this one, unfortunaly.

Ramen Tengoku

Meiniac
Switch FC
SW-6056-3633-7710
Hi I support. With my original Warioware pick, Ashley now confirmed as an assist, I want Mona as the next Wario rep.

Last edited:

Flyboy

Smash Hero
I don't get why Mona isn't more of a shoo-in for people's Wario Ware pick. She's far and away my favorite and actually my second ballot choice. She is the only character outside of MAYBE Jimmy T that can perfectly capture and represent the Wario Ware series. Originally I wanted her B to cycle through different jobs and adjust her moveset accordingly, but I think it's simpler if all of her moves just adjust her appearance and reference her jobs that way, like how K. Rool switches to the pirate look when he fires the blunderbuss.

She's far and away my favorite Wario Ware character and she's been in every game and that more people don't see that baffles me.

Look, her final smash could be, like, a parody of Peach's in a way. The Nighttime Allergies girl appears on both sides of the screen while the foot from the microgame where you avoid being stepped on stomps from above. Or, her animal friends can fly their gunship in and launch soccer balls. Or she can grab the hammer from the Nail microgame. Unlimited moveset potential with the whole cast! Make her side-B throw a pizza! Who knows?!

Plus it means more Wario Ware music, and that not only means the return of Mona Pizza but also we could get the biggest missing piece of Wario Ware's OST in Smash - an HD cover of Body Rock from DIY. Please...I can only survive on the remastered version in YouTube for so long...

So, yes. Support. Huge support. Adding her and Captain Syrup would "complete" the Wario series representation in my eyes.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hi I support. With my original Warioware pick, Ashely now confirmed as an assist, I want Mona as the next Wario rep.
I don't get why Mona isn't more of a shoo-in for people's Wario Ware pick. She's far and away my favorite and actually my second ballot choice. She is the only character outside of MAYBE Jimmy T that can perfectly capture and represent the Wario Ware series. Originally I wanted her B to cycle through different jobs and adjust her moveset accordingly, but I think it's simpler if all of her moves just adjust her appearance and reference her jobs that way, like how K. Rool switches to the pirate look when he fires the blunderbuss.

She's far and away my favorite Wario Ware character and she's been in every game and that more people don't see that baffles me.

Look, her final smash could be, like, a parody of Peach's in a way. The Nighttime Allergies girl appears on both sides of the screen while the foot from the microgame where you avoid being stepped on stomps from above. Or, her animal friends can fly their gunship in and launch soccer balls. Or she can grab the hammer from the Nail microgame. Unlimited moveset potential with the whole cast! Make her side-B throw a pizza! Who knows?!

Plus it means more Wario Ware music, and that not only means the return of Mona Pizza but also we could get the biggest missing piece of Wario Ware's OST in Smash - an HD cover of Body Rock from DIY. Please...I can only survive on the remastered version in YouTube for so long...

So, yes. Support. Huge support. Adding her and Captain Syrup would "complete" the Wario series representation in my eyes.
I wonder what Mona would need in order to become as big as Ashley... Just thinking aloud of course, but still...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Once again, I disagree with the notion that Mona would be an echo. A semi-clone? It's quite possible if she gotten a few moves unique from Wario that actually fit her than lol farts and other stuff that would be out of character. Late, I know. I felt this needed to be addressed since it's a common subject always brought up.

The thing is that Mona is a sleeper hit, someone few pay attention to as far as Smash fighters because she's lacking in popularity with more than just Wario fans unlike Ashley. When in fact that she DOES have big importance in WarrioWare and people gloss over it because it's not story heayy and she lacks that appeal Ashley has.

But I appreciate the enthusiasm, we need more supporters like you.

I wonder what Mona would need in order to become as big as Ashley... Just thinking aloud of course, but still...
Think about it like this. Ashley would had never been a popular Smash choice if it wasn't for her theme being a music update on Brawl Smash Dojo before release and her fans thinking it makes her the best pick.

Not sure what can make people see Mona the same way. Perhaps focusing on her good qualities like how she is the Harley to Wario's Joker. Someone who's hardworking and sweet unlike a greedy and cheap boss, but still is attracted to the gross charm that makes him likable.

Not that we should run around screaming "Mona x Wario", that would make people take us less serious. Just emphasize that she is an important coworker and partner for Wario, unlike Ashley who thinks less of him but reluctantly works for him. Someone who has a good chemisty with him and would perfectly capture that charm WarioWare is known for than a straightforward magic user.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Think about it like this. Ashley would had never been a popular Smash choice if it wasn't for her theme being a music update on Brawl Smash Dojo before release and her fans thinking it makes her the best pick.

Not sure what can make people see Mona the same way. Perhaps focusing on her good qualities like how she is the Harley to Wario's Joker. Someone who's hardworking and sweet unlike a greedy and cheap boss, but still is attracted to the gross charm that makes him likable.

Not that we should run around screaming "Mona x Wario", that would make people take us less serious. Just emphasize that she is an important coworker and partner for Wario, unlike Ashley who thinks less of him but reluctantly works for him. Someone who has a good chemisty with him and would perfectly capture that charm WarioWare is known for than a straightforward magic user.
I suggest we start a 'Mona for Smash' Twitter, but I'm not sure how successful that would be. I mean, you or anyone else want to try that, be my guest. I'm at least it would certainly get some followers and some people talking. Fans of Mona aren't just found here on SB, you know.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I suggest we start a 'Mona for Smash' Twitter, but I'm not sure how successful that would be. I mean, you or anyone else want to try that, be my guest. I'm at least it would certainly get some followers and some people talking. Fans of Mona aren't just found here on SB, you know.
I have a Mona for Smash Facebook, just haven't used it much.

As for a Twitter? Good luck with that one since my efforts are more focused on Takamaru and I have no time to make a third account.

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
in exciting Mona news, Nintendo's japanese youtube account just posted a Mona trailer (with new "animation", though I'm really stretching the word here) to promote WW Gold

they acknowledged her mega party game maid outfit. now that's a deep cut

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
in exciting Mona news, Nintendo's japanese youtube account just posted a Mona trailer (with new "animation", though I'm really stretching the word here) to promote WW Gold

But that's not all, they addressed her past too.

This is something unexpected and nice out of Nintendo.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I have a Mona for Smash Facebook, just haven't used it much.
Oh, yeah. I almost forgot about that. Does anyone use Facebook anymore...? Like, I'm legit asking...:ohwell:

As for a Twitter? Good luck with that one since my efforts are more focused on Takamaru and I have no time to make a third account.
Oh, right. I saw that Takamaru one you've made. I mean no offense when I say this, but I can't help but get the feeling that Mona would really benefit from a Smash-focused Twitter account than a Facebook one, but that's just me.

in exciting Mona news, Nintendo's Japanese YouTube account just posted a Mona trailer (with new "animation", though I'm really stretching the word here) to promote WW Gold

Holy cow! This is amazing! I know it's not much, but it's certainly nice to see Nintendo acknowledging Mona AND her past exploits in such a way!

Also, am I the only one that... I don't know, is REALLY enjoying WarioWare Gold's take on Mona's previous incarnations? Like, I don't know what it is, but they all seem more... cuter compared to their original, more proportion-friendly appearances from 2003-2009.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Oh, yeah. I almost forgot about that. Does anyone use Facebook anymore...? Like, I'm legit asking...:ohwell:

Oh, right. I saw that Takamaru one you've made. I mean no offense when I say this, but I can't help but get the feeling that Mona would really benefit from a Smash-focused Twitter account than a Facebook one, but that's just me.

Holy cow! This is amazing! I know it's not much, but it's certainly nice to see Nintendo acknowledging Mona AND her past exploits in such a way!
I use Facebook. Not a lot of people do, though.

I think.

I was never huge on social networks.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman

I love seeing Mona wear her photographer costume in Gold's style. I always liked the outfit itself but wasn't so hot on the Rhythm Heaven knockoff look that game had so seeing her in it in a much more fitting art style for WW was a treat.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

You know, I feel like I should get this off my chest...

While I’m more than certain that Mona isn’t the only WarioWare character that Nintendo intends to do these little “character legacy” mini-videos for (she’s most likely just the first of a series of these), I feel like something just HAS to be said about the fact that Nintendo decided to kick off this little mini-series of videos off with her, and NOT Ashley (or even Jimmy T., for that matter).

Mind you, Ashley’s pretty much one of the few (if not the only) things people ever seem to take notice of outside of the Big Wah himself in this day and age (at least in regards to WarioWare itself), all while leaving characters like Mona to the wayside (despite her notable prominence within this series).

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Shame, but what are we going to do? We have little control for how big Ashley's fandom is. But alas, what Mona needs is for her fans to be more vocal.
With K. Rool and Ridley out of the way, I feel this'll be much easier to do now. I say let the American pizzas rival with the Japanese goths!

You know, I feel like I should get this off my chest...

While I’m more than certain that Mona isn’t the only WarioWare character that Nintendo intends to do these little “character legacy” mini-videos for (she’s most likely just the first of a series of these), I feel like something just HAS to be said about the fact that Nintendo decided to kick off this little mini-series of videos off with her, and NOT Ashley (or even Jimmy T., for that matter).

Mind you, Ashley’s pretty much one of the few (if not the only) things people ever seem to take notice of outside of the Big Wah himself in this day and age (at least in regards to WarioWare itself), all while leaving characters like Mona to the wayside (despite her notable prominence within this series).
Besides seniority, I think this may be a pretty telling move on Nintendo's part. Like you said, why start with her when Ashley would catch people's attention more easily?

Either they've realised that overmarketing Ashley may be starting to wear thin, or they're actually hinting at a possible Smash inclusion for Mona...

smashkirby

Smash Hero
The post on Nintendo's twitter account outright says there's going to be more so
Oh, yeah. I just saw that.

With K. Rool and Ridley out of the way, I feel this'll be much easier to do now. I say let the American pizzas rival with the Japanese goths!
Compared to Ashley, it'll still be something of an uphill battle though...

Besides seniority, I think this may be a pretty telling move on Nintendo's part. Like you said, why start with her when Ashley would catch people's attention more easily?

Either they've realized that over-marketing Ashley may be starting to wear thin, or they're actually hinting at a possible Smash inclusion for Mona...
Yeah, I've had the same thoughts. Heck, as embarrassed as I am to admit it, I really did almost think that this was also hinting at Mona being playable in Smash. However, I'd like to see it more as Nintendo (hopefully) realizing that the overexposure and overall attention they've been giving Ashley over the rest of the WarioWare cast is finally beginning to wear thin at this point, and they're deciding to give more attention to the rest of the cast, Mona included (obviously).

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That was a good short. And not just because it was Mona.

But I will be looking forward to all the other shorts.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Say, what do you all think of Mona's past incarnations being depicted in Gold's artstyle? Personally, I think they look quite cute.
Same, Gold Mona is the best Mona are far as cuteness.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Part of me wished that WarioWare Gold never flopped. I heard records that it sold much worse than Game & Wario. Like how?

It's a damn good game and I wished Nintendo had advertised it more. But I guess this will be the fate of all 3DS games after the Switch became more relevant.

RIP Ever Oasis too.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Part of me wished that WarioWare Gold never flopped. I heard records that it sold much worse than Game & Wario. Like how?
One was released early into the system's lifespan, the other was released when making games for its system is controversial.

Anyway, I wish that video had Mona's DIY outfit. Love seeing her G&Wario outfit with Gold's artstyle, I had problems believing that was Mona in G&Wario.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

It's a damn good game and I wished Nintendo had advertised it more. But I guess this will be the fate of all 3DS games after the Switch became more relevant.

RIP Ever Oasis too.
Then there's Sushi Striker. Did its Switch version do equally as poorly?

Regardless of that, I can say that if WW dies after this, Gold will be a fine sendoff, that honored its entire history (aside from conspicuously missing the rest of the Thangs). So, a humble thank you to Ko Takeuchi and everyone else in the team.

Last edited:

Glowsquid

Smash Journeyman
I heard records that it sold much worse than Game & Wario. Like how?
That's absolutely not true. Here's what we know about both games sales number:

-According to Famitsu's sales tracker, Game & Wario sold 80k during its entire liftetime. Gold sold 96k in its debut month (making it the best-selling new release of August) and it is still hanging juuuuust outside the top 20.

-In the UK, Game & Wario didn't chat at all in the top 40. Gold did (albeilt only at #38 before dropping off the charts entirely)

-In the US, Game & Wario didn,t chart anywhere while Gold was the #3rd best-selling 3DS game with two days worth of sale and then 2nd for its first complete month.

If that helps contextualize WW Gold's performance, Famitsu currently has the game at 107k~; the Mario & Luigi superstar saga remake sold 71k in its entire lifetime according to the same tracker despite being released a year earlier in a completely dead week and a slightly less crappy market for the 3DS - and that's getting a sequel, so....

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
That's absolutely not true. Here's what we know about both games sales number:

-According to Famitsu's sales tracker, Game & Wario sold 80k during its entire liftetime. Gold sold 96k in its debut month (making it the best-selling new release of August) and it is still hanging juuuuust outside the top 20.

-In the UK, Game & Wario didn't chat at all in the top 40. Gold did (albeilt only at #38 before dropping off the charts entirely)

-In the US, Game & Wario didn,t chart anywhere while Gold was the #3rd best-selling 3DS game with two days worth of sale and then 2nd for its first complete month.

If that helps contextualize WW Gold's performance, Famitsu currently has the game at 107k~; the Mario & Luigi superstar saga remake sold 71k in its entire lifetime according to the same tracker despite being released a year earlier in a completely dead week and a slightly less crappy market for the 3DS - and that's getting a sequel, so....
Thanks and those are good points.

I guess there is still a bright future for WarioWare after all. Beause again, I can't bear to think of the idea of another Wario series being dead, then that means we won't see most of the original wacky cast anymore. Even Mona.

But this makes me feel better about how Gold performed.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Anyway, I wish that video had Mona's DIY outfit. Love seeing her G&Wario outfit with Gold's artstyle, I had problems believing that was Mona in G&Wario.
Yeah, I noticed how the Mona video actually DIDN'T depict her in her Snapped and D.I.Y. outfits, and I was a bit surprised at that. I mean, I know her Snapped look technically DID appear on a wall/billboard in the mini-video, but she was depicted in the original, pre-2013 artstyle.

I guess there is still a bright future for WarioWare after all. Because again, I can't bear to think of the idea of another Wario series being dead, then that means we won't see most of the original wacky cast anymore. Even Mona.
Honestly? I know it sounds silly, but I feel as if Nintendo deciding to kick this series of mini-trailers off with Mona is one of the first signs that they're intending to both give the ENTIRE WarioWare cast close-to-equal attention again and that their near-overexposure of Ashley is all but done with.

Flyboy

Smash Hero

I can't believe I missed this! This is so cute, and fun, and I love that they included her time as a maid from Mega Party Games. That was my first WarioWare game so I have a deep fondness for it. Loving the Gold designs! And that little snippet of Mona Pizza at the start! So good.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I can't believe I missed this! This is so cute, and fun, and I love that they included her time as a maid from Mega Party Games. That was my first WarioWare game so I have a deep fondness for it. Loving the Gold designs! And that little snippet of Mona Pizza at the start! So good.
You know, I wonder why a lot of people are so surprised by the appearance of Mona in her maid outfit. Like, was that look just obscure, or...?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
It was my first as well, kinda funny how things work out sometimes.

Flyboy

Smash Hero
You know, I wonder why a lot of people are so surprised by the appearance of Mona in her maid outfit. Like, was that look just obscure, or...?
It was really only available to see in the between-games break if you pressed A enough times or in the credits sequence which you had to manually watch yourself, so a little bit.

Top Bottom