• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cutest Multitasker Rides into Battle! Mona for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I think, if they haven't already been established as working as a team squad outside of Smash, they have no real business doing that in Smash.

There are certain examples of characters in fighting games where this works (TMNT in Injustice 2, Captain Commando in MVC1 and 2, Phoenix Wright in MVC3), but this is because their lore already established them as working together to achieve mutual goals. If they didn't already have that established tight-knit "team" aspect to them then it would make about as much sense as Mario summoning other characters from his series for his moveset. Why not just make him pull out Toad and ride Yoshi instead of making them full fighters on their own? The reason why this isn't a good idea should be self-evident.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I think, if they haven't already been established as working as a team squad outside of Smash, they have no real business doing that in Smash.

There are certain examples of characters in fighting games where this works (TMNT in Injustice 2, Captain Commando in MVC1 and 2, Phoenix Wright in MVC3), but this is because their lore already established them as working together to achieve mutual goals. If they didn't already have that established tight-knit "team" aspect to them then it would make about as much sense as Mario summoning other characters from his series for his moveset. Why not just make him pull out Toad and ride Yoshi instead of making them full fighters on their own? The reason why this isn't a good idea should be self-evident.
Okay, so now the issue is the matter of whether or not it's in character. Let's take other summons for comparison, there's Gordo and Toads who are sworn to their respective monarch. While the Ware characters are coworkers and good friends. So Mona doing something similar in a summon would just be in the vain of her friends lending her a hand. I just think that sounds sweet.

Jumping off a Yoshi actually sounds like a cool recovery for Mario now that you mention it.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
You are completely impossible to reason with, and you make me remember why I left this community. Thanks for that.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
You know what, you're completely impossible to reason with, and you make me remember why I left this community, thanks for that.
Gordos are alive. Atleast nothing suggests they aren't. And I'm assuming that all the enemies just work for Dedede considering he shot out his other confirmed minons along with them in Brawl.

It would just be one summoning move. I agree that an entire moveset like that wouldn't work for a character like Mona which is why I'm not proposing that.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Okay, so now the issue is the matter of whether or not it's in character. Let's take other summons for comparison, there's Gordo and Toads who are sworn to their respective monarch. While the Ware characters are coworkers and good friends. So Mona doing something similar in a summon would just be in the vain of her friends lending her a hand. I just think that sounds sweet.

Jumping off a Yoshi actually sounds like a cool recovery for Mario now that you mention it.
Err, in the spirit of continuing discussions civilly, I don’t think just ‘being friends’ cuts it. Sure, maybe in a Final Smash, as seen with Ness, Lucas, Shulk, Villager, Robin (pre-Ultimate). Funnily enough, most of those are RPG characters where the point is having a party that assists each other. Otherwise, you have Peach and Daisy using Toads (a move many people loathe due to wanting Toad in), Dedede using Dees (pre-4 if I’m not mistaken), and Duck Hunt using characters that have no chance to get in the game.

But really, it would still be sort of out of character seeing anyone from the WarioWare cast assist another one in a move. Most characters don’t usually show up together (unless Gold is like the Infinity War of WarioWares, that is).

Even from a developer’s standpoint, how is ‘suddenly Mona shows up and, like, punches’ more creative or fun that ‘Ashley does something magic’?

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Err, in the spirit of continuing discussions civilly, I don’t think just ‘being friends’ cuts it. Sure, maybe in a Final Smash, as seen with Ness, Lucas, Shulk, Villager, Robin (pre-Ultimate). Funnily enough, most of those are RPG characters where the point is having a party that assists each other. Otherwise, you have Peach and Daisy using Toads (a move many people loathe due to wanting Toad in), Dedede using Dees (pre-4 if I’m not mistaken), and Duck Hunt using characters that have no chance to get in the game.

But really, it would still be sort of out of character seeing anyone from the WarioWare cast assist another one in a move. Most characters don’t usually show up together (unless Gold is like the Infinity War of WarioWares, that is).

Even from a developer’s standpoint, how is ‘suddenly Mona shows up and, like, punches’ more creative or fun that ‘Ashley does something magic’?
I forgot all about Pacman having Ghosts as his smash attacks. I kinda thought that was a stretch too unless they've become friends in recent times.

Gold has 3 events where a lot of the cast they work or play together. In one, half the cast are promoting a dance club, the other half are having a picnic in the woods. Keep in mind these the last one is them all splitting the money they earned from the game equally.

And in past games, they've all been shown hanging out together after you beat a stage. In Game & Wario they even hang out at Club Sugar without Wario present.

So they are seen together quite a bit but their friendship is a bit more overt in Gold.

I think the summoning itself is the important bit. It's a pretty archetypal thing for a witch to do. The difference is who she summoning, and I prefer the ware cast to be doing the hitting a lot more than the weird demon she summoned in Gold.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I'd rather have the other Ware characters be treated in a respectful manner, so thanks, but oh god no.

Nintendo is already pampering Ashley enough as is, no need to reduce the other characters into pretty much tools for her to use.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Honestly, as original as the idea is, I don't see Ashley as the type that would summon her friends as a back up given how anti-social she is.

While it would be nice to give some WarioWare characters a role, the best way to handle that are Assist Trophies or a stage cameo.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Honestly, as original as the idea is, I don't see Ashley as the type that would summon her friends as a back up given how anti-social she is.

While it would be nice to give some WarioWare characters a role, the best way to handle that are Assist Trophies or a stage cameo.
No joke, I thought the EXACT same thing yesterday. Ashley (despite her supposed want for friends via her theme song) is quite well-known for being somewhat anti-social, so that's another thing that prevents me from picturing Samcrumpit Samcrumpit 's idea ever becoming a reality. It just wouldn't feel all that in-character for her.
Heck, I see MONA herself pulling this shtick faster than I would Ashley, and I STILL wouldn't want Mona to do it, either

For the rest of the WW cast (as much as I hate having to say it), I'd also rather they either be ATs or have stage cameos.

Hey, guys. Just wondering, how do you all see a Mona reveal trailer working out?

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, I just looked at the Kat & Ana thread, and something's been on my mind.

Like, I'd actually like to see the look on the Ashley fans' faces if Mona were to get announced as a playable character instead of Ashley. There's always been that really weird (and kind of annoying) mindset that she was the ONLY possible WarioWare candidate, even though she was never THAT likely to begin with. I mean, Mona, 9-Volt, Kat & Ana, and heck, even Jimmy T. all had a slightly better shot than her from the start. Some people just never face the facts.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You know, I just looked at the Kat & Ana thread, and something's been on my mind.

Like, I'd actually like to see the look on the Ashley fans' faces if Mona were to get announced as a playable character instead of Ashley. There's always been that really weird (and kind of annoying) mindset that she was the ONLY possible WarioWare candidate, even though she was never THAT likely to begin with. I mean, Mona, 9-Volt, Kat & Ana, and heck, even Jimmy T. all had a slightly better shot than her from the start. Some people just never face the facts.
To be fair, people always slept on the other characters because they don't get the extra marketing and material Ashley gets.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
To be fair, people always slept on the other characters because they don't get the extra marketing and material Ashley gets.
Even then it's still disappointing to see such a diverse cast of characters ignored and not supported, just because one character is promoted more and has a louder fanbase.

I said it before and I will say it again, if more people stood behind a WarioWare character in general then things might have looked different even for Ashley herself, because it would have been a statement for interest in WarioWare content in general.

NukeA6

Smash Master
This might be the wrong place to ask this but would WarioWare Gold be the best place start to see what the big deal is with Mona, Ashley, Kat & Ana, 9-Volt, and all those Wario characters? I never touched those games but I gotta know why they got fanbases because when I look at WarioWare, I just see microgames not involving Wario & friends. Besides, it looks like Mona has the highest chance of being playable which is why I didn't post in Ashley's thread.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
You know, I'd really like to believe that, but after seeing the lengths people would go to for Ashley, I feel as if the fans themselves (what with their obsession over her) might also be adding to this problem of Ashley overshadowing nearly every other Wario character outside of the Big W himself.

Even then it's still disappointing to see such a diverse cast of characters ignored and not supported, just because one character is promoted more and has a louder fanbase.

I said it before and I will say it again, if more people stood behind a WarioWare character in general then things might have looked different even for Ashley herself, because it would have been a statement for interest in WarioWare content in general.
Yeah, I just went on GameFAQs (I STILL don't know what possessed me to do so...) and my goodness, the Ashley fans over there. It's unbelievable. I've noticed the Kat & Ana thread has bit more to say about this, so I'll just say this much:

I'm bit tired of this fanbase. The "Ashley or bust" mindset has been taken way too far. I REALLY hate to say this, but there are times where I think I'd like Mona in Smash, just of spite. I would have been perfectly fine with Ashley's inclusion in literally any other situation, but this...

Seriously, I thought the Waluigi fans were bad...

This might be the wrong place to ask this but would WarioWare Gold be the best place start to see what the big deal is with Mona, Ashley, Kat & Ana, 9-Volt, and all those Wario characters? I never touched those games but I gotta know why they got fanbases because when I look at WarioWare, I just see microgames not involving Wario & friends. Besides, it looks like Mona has the highest chance of being playable which is why I didn't post in Ashley's thread.
Hmm... well, while WarioWare Gold isn't a bad game by any means (IMO), maybe you should check out games prior to WarioWare Snapped as the cast seemed to have more "wackier" things to do than in Gold (i.e. Mona escaping from the police to get to work on time, Kat & Ana fighting giant demons, 9-Volt showing off his impressive collection of Nintendo memorabilia, Ashley's magic misadventures, etc.).

I mean, I couldn't give you a singular reason as to why the various characters have fanbases at all, but I'd like to think that their designs, personalities, and abilities play a big part in their fanbases.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, I just went on GameFAQs (I STILL don't know what possessed me to do so...) and my goodness, the Ashley fans over there. It's unbelievable. I've noticed the Kat & Ana thread has bit more to say about this, so I'll just say this much:

I'm bit tired of this fanbase. The "Ashley or bust" mindset has been taken way too far. I REALLY hate to say this, but there are times where I think I'd like Mona in Smash, just of spite. I would have been perfectly fine with Ashley's inclusion in literally any other situation, but this...

Seriously, I thought the Waluigi fans were bad...
Not to be rude, but are you copying my messages from the Kat & Ana topic? I remember saying something along some very similar lines. I mean, I'm not against it or anything, but it's a little weird.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Not to be rude, but are you copying my messages from the Kat & Ana topic? I remember saying something along some very similar lines. I mean, I'm not against it or anything, but it's a little weird.
Actually, I did in regards to this one. I'm sorry about that.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Hey guys, so another Nintendo Direct is happening soon (It was supposed to be TODAY, but Hokkaido was rocked by an earthquake. My prayers and condolences go out to them.)

So, if Mona was announced during the aforementioned Direct, how would you react?

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
Hey guys, so another Nintendo Direct is happening soon (It was supposed to be TODAY, but Hokkaido was rocked by an earthquake. My prayers and condolences go out to them.)

So, if Mona was announced during the aforementioned Direct, how would you react?
I'd be happy. If I'm being honest it's characters like Mona and Elma I'm rooting for the most for the base roster because I fear they'll have a much tougher time becoming DLC candidates.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I'd be happy. If I'm being honest it's characters like Mona and Elma I'm rooting for the most for the base roster because I fear they'll have a much tougher time becoming DLC candidates.
Yeah, I feel the same. Mona and Elma feel like they NEED to be on the base roster, if nothing else since they both have a lot of competition.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Even though it's sadly delayed, my reaction would had been loud cheers like her Monettes.

But yeah, she would be a highlight for me as a reveal.

Lasatar

Smash Apprentice
Like I've said, I really feel as if with Ashley out of the running, things boil down to Mona and Kat & Ana at this point.
Don't forget 9-Volt. It's always possible they might choose him as both a WarioWare representative and a Retro representative.

I'd personally want Kat & Ana the most, though I'd be open to pretty much any WarioWare character at this point.

Last edited:

Derpy619

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Derpy619
If we talking about seniority and constancy, the only 4 characters that appear in absolutely all Warioware games excluding wario himself, are Mona, Jimmy T. Kat and Ana (if we count the Warioware Snapped game). In this hipotetic situation, Jimmy T would be excluded, since he would probably return as a hazard in the Warioware stage. for a character selection, Mona has the best support and popularity after Ashley, her moveset would be based in her animal friends and the multitasks she made in all her games, but also Kat&Ana have an extreme combat/fighting potential and an already created 3D model, their moveset would be easier to develop.
Anyway, even with my preference to Kat & Ana, I still want another representation for Warioware regardless of the character, and Mona isn't the exception
I'd like to support this thread too.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Don't forget 9-Volt. It's always possible they might choose him as both a WarioWare representative and a Retro representative.

I'd personally want Kat & Ana the most, though I'd be open to pretty much any WarioWare character at this point.
Oh, yeah. Personally, my Wario rep support goes as follows, from most wanted to least: Mona, Kat & Ana, 9-Volt, Captain Syrup.

If we talking about seniority and constancy, the only 4 characters that appear in absolutely all Warioware games excluding wario himself, are Mona, Jimmy T. Kat and Ana (if we count the Warioware Snapped game). In this hypothetical situation, Jimmy T would be excluded, since he would probably return as a hazard in the Warioware stage. for a character selection, Mona has the best support and popularity after Ashley, her moveset would be based in her animal friends and the multitasks she made in all her games, but also Kat&Ana have an extreme combat/fighting potential and an already created 3D model, their moveset would be easier to develop.
Anyway, even with my preference to Kat & Ana, I still want another representation for Warioware regardless of the character, and Mona isn't the exception
I'd like to support this thread too.
That's how I feel about Mona and the 'Katana twins' as well. In Mona's case, it feels like people don't really give her credit in regards to moveset potential. I mean, with her pets and her various occupations, she has a LOT of things to draw from, and Kat & Ana already have the resources to be playable.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
>the possibility of Wario Ware characters being reduced to Toad-style summons is seriously being considered

Wut. This is complete nonsense. It's bad enough as it is for lesser-loved characters like Crygor and Orbulon to be left in the dust without having to be stuck with the worst compromise. Even having Mona as a Wario Echo is a better idea than this.

Let's remember that Sakurai is more creative than most people give him credit for. After all, most of Wario's moveset was made up for some strange reason, so I don't see how he wouldn't be able to get wild with the other members of the Wario crew.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
>the possibility of Wario Ware characters being reduced to Toad-style summons is seriously being considered

Wut. This is complete nonsense. It's bad enough as it is for lesser-loved characters like Crygor and Orbulon to be left in the dust without having to be stuck with the worst compromise. Even having Mona as a Wario Echo is a better idea than this.

Let's remember that Sakurai is more creative than most people give him credit for. After all, most of Wario's moveset was made up for some strange reason, so I don't see how he wouldn't be able to get wild with the other members of the Wario crew.
Honestly? As I've said before, this would be pretty degrading. While I could see Mona doing something of this caliber, it doesn't mean I WANT her to do such a thing. It would be quite an insult to her and the rest of the Wario cast.

Mona sound so unlikely to happen, yet I also want to see how they would execute someone like her.
I take it Mona's one of those characters that you wouldn't expect to have too much in the way of moveset potential, huh?

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Welp, this is the most clearest image of the stage and those are indeed stickers based on WarioWare Gold.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Welp, this is the most clearest image of the stage and those are indeed stickers based on WarioWare Gold.
Yup, I knew it. That's definitely Spitz and Ana as they appear in Gold. I guess Sakurai was aware of Gold's development?

That and they still use Game and Wario's design of 5-volt as well. So there's not too good a chance for Mona, to me at least. Then again, Nintendo has surprised us before, so I'll just keep my mouth shut for now.
Wait, how is that bad for Mona? I'm not trying to call you out or anything. I'm just curious.

This is a pretty solid OP, you've convinced me. I went from supporting Ashley as the top WarioWare newcomer to Mona as the top (besides Wario). Not to say I don't support Ashley though. Or 9-Volt...
I don't hate (or even really dislike) Ashley, but I just never got the idea that she was like the 'end-all, be-all' second Wario rep...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Wario Ware Gold content is expected, at least we get a clear look at the sticker to tell that's the exact same style.

And I doubt a stick really deconfims her. She can be playable and a sticker. Friendly reminder that Ashley is a sticker while at the same time an AT too. So we shouldn't say she is deconfirmed until we see a tophy.

Last edited:

TeamFlareZakk

Making Super Smash Bros a more beautiful world!
Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan sign me up for the Mona support!

I always believed if there is to be another Warioware rep it would certainly be Mona, shes been a Warioware employee since the first Warioware game and has been in every game since.

Also she is missing from action in Super Smash Bros and you'd think she'd be in the game too so it makes alot of sense Mona could be a new fighter, especially since Ashley is still doing assist trophy duties.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

I always believed if there is to be another Warioware rep it would certainly be Mona, shes been a Warioware employee since the first Warioware game and has been in every game since.

Also she is missing from action in Super Smash Bros and you'd think she'd be in the game too so it makes alot of sense Mona could be a new fighter, especially since Ashley is still doing assist trophy duties.
And added.

I think we should be over 25 supporters by now and I am glad that we reached this milestone.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

You know, it really does sort of delight me how the idea of Mona being in Smash is getting a bit more traction these days. I do feel bad that it seems like it was sort of at the cost of Ashley being de-confirmed, but maybe next time?

I really hope I'm not coming off as condescending towards the Ashley fans here...

And added.

I think we should be over 25 supporters by now and I am glad that we reached this milestone.
You know, a part of me really is happy that we reached that milestone. The other part of me is feeling... ehh...

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You know, a part of me really is happy that we reached that milestone. The other part of me is feeling... ehh...
I take it that something bigger like 40 supports would be a real milestone worth celebrating.

Things were kind of slow from the start since well, few pay mind to Mona until the Smash Direct.

Travix Man

Smash Apprentice
NNID
TravixMan
I just looked on the supporters section and I don't think my name was in there, even though I signed on a few months ago. Could you perhaps fix that please, Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan ?

This may be a silly question, but if Mona were to have a different victory theme, what would you guys prefer? If it was different, I imagine it would be an excerpt from Mona's Pizza.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I take it that something bigger like 40 supports would be a real milestone worth celebrating.

Things were kind of slow from the start since well, few pay mind to Mona until the Smash Direct.
Well, it's not like I don't consider 25 supporters an accomplishment whatsoever. Heck, the fact that Mona (for as little credit as people usually give her) managed to acquire this many is still a fair feat.

But I guess I just feel a little... I don't know, after Ashley's pretty much been leading the charge for idea of a second Waro rep for so long, I just feel a little... underwhelmed, I guess?

This may be a silly question, but if Mona were to have a different victory theme, what would you guys prefer? If it was different, I imagine it would be an excerpt from Mona's Pizza.
Personally, I'd like that. Especially since I'm pretty sure Wario's victory theme is really taken from Wario LAND rather than WarioWARE, isn't it?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
I just looked on the supporters section and I don't think my name was in there, even though I signed on a few months ago. Could you perhaps fix that please, Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan ?

My apologies, you should be on now.

And yes, Mona's Pizza would make a good victory theme.

Well, it's not like I don't consider 25 supporters an accomplishment whatsoever. Heck, the fact that Mona (for as little credit as people usually give her) managed to acquire this many is still a fair feat.

But I guess I just feel a little... I don't know, after Ashley's pretty much been leading the charge for idea of a second Waro rep for so long, I just feel a little... underwhelmed, I guess?
Shame, but what are we going to do? We have little control for how big Ashley's fandom is. But alas, what Mona needs is for her fans to be more vocal.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Shame, but what are we going to do? We have little control for how big Ashley's fandom is. But alas, what Mona needs is for her fans to be more vocal.
True, so very true. Say, guys. What would you think of the idea of Mona getting revealed to be playable in Smash Ultimate via this direct?

Top Bottom