• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cutest Multitasker Rides into Battle! Mona for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Wait, there's Gold stickers on the Gamer stage?

It's really hard to see them.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I just updated it during the time you made the comment. Feel free to reread it, the differences are there. I feel a massive revamp isn't needed.

Best thing we can do is wait for more screenshots on the Gamer stage to really see if those are based on WarioWare Gold.

And I wouldn't mind her having almost every costume she had in the series. Bias or not, at least it would be fair since she's got the least consistent outfit compared to other characters in the series. The more unique costumes in Smash, the better.

Like you, I quite love how endearing she is as a character and Gold adds more shades to her weird side contrasting her looks in good ways. Shows that she doesn't have to be as classy as Peach or regal as Zelda to be a good character.
Really? Well, don't I feel a bit silly? Welp , I'll try to give it a look-see.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm pretty sure there's been screenshots of Gamer in Ultimate, but I don't think I've seen any that contain any stickers of the WW cast yet.

Oh, I really hope Sakurai would do that for Mona. Considering how he's the type to do his homework on almost every character (playable or otherwise) in order to represent them in Smash perfectly, I can certainly see him doing it.
Like you said, there may be those who consider it biased, but Mona's famous within WarioWare for not sticking with wearing just one outfit even two games in a row (outside of her white mink coat/red sports bra/red mini-skirt combo).

Honestly, I always found it endearing how Mona, despite her good looks and whatnot, is probably WarioWare's biggest oddball outside of Wario himself. Not to mention that WW Gold also feels like it helped in showing off how Mona's such a helpful sweetheart to nearly everyone she meets.
Like, it might sound weird, but I found it adorable how Mona found Joe's looks (as plain as they are) to be quite the fashion statement, and she appeared to genuinely mean that, no less.

Wait, there's Gold stickers on the Gamer stage?

It's really hard to see them.
Maybe. I mean, it's rather difficult to tell. You know when they cover returning stages during the August Direct for Ultimate? The best I can say is look as close as you can at the stickers of Spitz and Ana as they appear to not use their Game & Wario appearances, but rather their Gold looks.

Specifically, I'd advise you to look at Ana's eyes, as they don't appear to use the solid black pupils she had in the former game, but rather the brown, doe-like pupils from the latter game.

BTW, guys. I had another question. In the event that Mona was revealed for Ultimate... well, how do you all think the Ashley fans would take it...? Unless I've just been looking in all the wrong places, people seem to have been relatively... civil about her de-confirmation.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Really? Well, don't I feel a bit silly? Welp , I'll try to give it a look-see.

Yeah, I guess you're right. I'm pretty sure there's been screenshots of Gamer in Ultimate, but I don't think I've seen any that contain any stickers of the WW cast yet.

Oh, I really hope Sakurai would do that for Mona. Considering how he's the type to do his homework on almost every character (playable or otherwise) in order to represent them in Smash perfectly, I can certainly see him doing it.
Like you said, there may be those who consider it biased, but Mona's famous within WarioWare for not sticking with wearing just one outfit even two games in a row (outside of her white mink coat/red sports bra/red mini-skirt combo).

Honestly, I always found it endearing how Mona, despite her good looks and whatnot, is probably WarioWare's biggest oddball outside of Wario himself. Not to mention that WW Gold also feels like it helped in showing off how Mona's such a helpful sweetheart to nearly everyone she meets.
Like, it might sound weird, but I found it adorable how Mona found Joe's looks (as plain as they are) to be quite the fashion statement, and she appeared to genuinely mean that, no less.

Maybe. I mean, it's rather difficult to tell. You know when they cover returning stages during the August Direct for Ultimate? The best I can say is look as close as you can at the stickers of Spitz and Ana as they appear to not use their Game & Wario appearances, but rather their Gold looks.

Specifically, I'd advise you to look at Ana's eyes, as they don't appear to use the solid black pupils she had in the former game, but rather the brown, doe-like pupils from the latter game.

BTW, guys. I had another question. In the event that Mona was revealed for Ultimate... well, how do you all think the Ashley fans would take it...? Unless I've just been looking in all the wrong places, people seem to have been relatively... civil about her de-confirmation.
I'll ask this in the discord, but I'm guessing a few will be fine, heck I'd be happy, and still be hopeful for her getting in someday. While others would probably feel robbed.

Hypothetically, do you think Sakurai would ever have the Warioware roster representation be Wario, Mona, Katana, Ashley? That sounds like a lot of female reps for a series manned by Wario.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
I'll ask this in the discord, but I'm guessing a few will be fine, heck I'd be happy, and still be hopeful for her getting in someday. While others would probably feel robbed.

Hypothetically, do you think Sakurai would ever have the Warioware roster representation be Wario, Mona, Katana, Ashley? That sounds like a lot of female reps for a series manned by Wario.
I don't see it happening. At most there would be 2 and another one. But realistically there wouldn't be more than 2 in Ultimate, at least not without something happening with DLC.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
While I supported Ashley and am still disappointed in her deconfirm, I think Mona is probably the next most popular WarioWare character after her. I'm not sure how she'd work as an echo of Wario particularly with the farting, but I'm quite happy for more WarioWare representation. Count me in as a supporter.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
Why in the world would anyone think she'd be an echo of Wario... lol

They don't even have the same body type. Don't you guys know how echoes work?

Last edited:

Teeb147

Smash Legend

They don't dven have the same body type. Don't you guys know how echoes work?
I think it's something you have to get used to around. I keep seeing people thinking echoes could have different sizes or shapes than the characters they're based on. I'm a bit tired of having to mention how echoes work.

One thing I will say though is that there's no reason we couldn't have regular clone characters, and deviate more, but Nintendo doesn't seem to want to go that route for Ultimate, at least not up til now.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Honestly, I think (or at least I HOPE) people aren't REALLY being serious about the idea of Mona being Wario's clone. Like, they DO know how a clone in Smash works... right?

Well, if they ever decided to go all out on Wario representation, I see it being Wario, Mona, and Ashley. Characters like Kat and Ana I feel would be a sort of "bonus" after the 3 characters I just mentioned.

Teeb147

Smash Legend
Honestly, I think (or at least I HOPE) people aren't REALLY being serious about the idea of Mona being Wario's clone. Like, they DO know how a clone in Smash works... right?
I think it's because of her scooter. They think about that and go oh it's like wario so she could be a clone, and they don't think beyond that.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
I wanted to get your guy's thought on this. Would you be for or against Wario's logo being changed from the W to the Warioware bomb?

Wariowarebomb.png

I know Wario encompasses Land and Ware, but the bomb is just such a better logo design wise.

Last edited:

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
I wanted to get your guy's thought on this. Would you be for or against Wario's logo being changed from the W to the Warioware bomb?

View attachment 158941
I know Wario encompasses Land and Ware, but the bomb is just such a better logo design wise.
Definitely for. I think it should have been done a while ago. It also seems hypocritical for Smash to presume that Wario has to rep both series when Nintendo themselves have been ignoring Wario Land’s existence for so long.

AngrySun88

Smash Ace
Mona's scooter would have to be involved in her moveset somehow, so I could see Sakurai taking inspiration from the Wario Bike. Everything else, however, would need to be completely original as she has no other similarities with Wario in regards to potential moves.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Mona's scooter would have to be involved in her moveset somehow, so I could see Sakurai taking inspiration from the Wario Bike. Everything else, however, would need to be completely original as she has no other similarities with Wario in regards to potential moves.
Personally, I see Mona's scooter being used in a way that it gets used once per ride. As in, once she hits someone, it explodes or something. Also, it would move WAY faster than Wario's motorcycle, and it can't turn around.

View attachment 158941
Definitely for. I think it should have been done a while ago. It also seems hypocritical for Smash to presume that Wario has to rep both series when Nintendo themselves have been ignoring Wario Land’s existence for so long.
Honestly, I want them to keep the 'W' as his symbol. Wario isn't just about WarioWare. He started off in Wario Land, and I don't think I'd appreciate Smash removing more references to that side of his series.

I think it's because of her scooter. They think about that and go oh it's like wario so she could be a clone, and they don't think beyond that.
Seems pretty silly, don't you think?

Mgl

Smash Apprentice
At this point she might be our last chance for a wario rep

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

View attachment 158941
If they wanted to change the series icon to this, they should had done it a long time ago.

Sure it would fit most of the cast, but I guess Sakurai went with the generic W since it fits him more and he never really thought of other playable Wario characters at the time.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
At this point she might be our last chance for a wario rep
I know it's weird, but I get this strong feeling in my gut that Mona WILL be the additional Wario rep in Ultimate.

I don't know why, but ever since Ashley's been de-confirmed, I couldn't shake the feeling that Wario's DEFINITELY getting an additional rep for Ultimate, and it's specifically going to be Mona.

Red Dead Redeemed

Smash Journeyman
I know it's weird, but I get this strong feeling in my gut that Mona WILL be the additional Wario rep in Ultimate.

I don't know why, but ever since Ashley's been de-confirmed, I couldn't shake the feeling that Wario's DEFINITELY getting an additional rep for Ultimate, and it's specifically going to be Mona.
Even as a guy who's rooting for Ashley I would be incredibly happy to have Mona in Smash. To quote myself in the Ashley thread:
I know this is probably heresy to say on this thread but Mona in some ways actually deserves the honor of being the second WarioWare rep even more than Ashley. She was always the deuteragonist/female lead of the WarioWare series and her peppy but off-kilter style fits with WarioWare's tone better than Ashley (definitely still on the Ashley train though).
WarioWare is great. I'm totally on board with any representation the series receives, but the the two my heart is rooting for is definitely Mona and Ashley.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Even as a guy who's rooting for Ashley I would be incredibly happy to have Mona in Smash. To quote myself in the Ashley thread:

WarioWare is great. I'm totally on board with any representation the series receives, but the the two my heart is rooting for is definitely Mona and Ashley.
This is exactly how I feel about Wario representation in Smash, personally. As I always say, I don't hate or even dislike Ashley (though I do find her a bit... overrated), but Mona's my first choice for Smash. Both because I love her in WarioWare and because I feel that she's more... deserving of being the second Wario rep, as she sort of encompasses WarioWare's wacky humor way better than Ashley ever could.

warelander

Smash Journeyman
I want to quote something from the Kat and Ana thread:
I also want to add that Wario is more then big enough to warrant at least one more rep, after all, the series' legacy consists of:

-8 Platformers

-10 WarioWare titles

-DSi Ware standalone versions of Paperplane and Pyoro

-Wario Blast

-Mario & Wario and Wario's Woods, which are essentially Wario's equivalent of the Arcade DK era

Outside of it's own games it also has:

-The Mario spin offs, which feature a very constant string of Wario series content, including appearences and references to Wario series characters

-The Rhythm Heaves series, which has at least one WarioWare guest appearence each game and in the case of Megamix, two whole challenge sets featuring Ware's main cast.

-Picross NP Vol.7, which features a Wario Land 2 set of puzzles

-Starfy 3, which features Wario in a heavily Wario Land based guest role

-Wario's Woods is featured in NES Remix 2

-The Badge Arcade, which featured Ashley as one of it's mascots, as well as a WarioWare set and a WarioWare x Majora's Mask set

-And Smash itself, which treats Wario as it's own franchise and much like with Donkey Kong, references his relationship with the Mario series, without lumping them together, unlike Yoshi for instance.

There is also just how Wario's appearences outside of his home series are all heavily influenced by his own series.

His greed, strenght, love for garlic, association with bombs, the Shoulder Charge, his Plane, Bike and Car, his biker persona, Diamond City and even design tweaks like the short sleeves, are all elements that come from his own series, with his rivalry with Mario and his spin off partner Waluigi being the only Mario series elements that are really relevant to him these days.

Wario is a big series and I sincerely believe that the only reason people don't see it as more of a no-brainer for a new rep is that Wario fans online tend to be pretty quiet for the most part, but I think it's well overdue for more love in Smash and Kat & Ana, being the most recurring Wario characters period, would be a fantastic choice to fill that gap.
My point is that people underestimate how big of a series Wario is, it's obviously not going to compete with Mario/Pokemon/Zelda anytime soon, but it still has a legacy and an amount of prominence that other franchises would die to have.

With that in mind I really don't agree with the popular ''we'll either get Ashley or nobody'' mentality. Yeah other Wario characters don't get as much support and yeah, that really blows, but if Mona, Kat & Ana or any other Wario chara ever were to catch Sakurai's interest, then I'm sure that he/she would get in, because Wario as a series is neither obscure nor small.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
warelander warelander If you don't mind, I'd like to quote you something here from the Katana' thread

The ironic thing is that this mentality may have hurt Ashley in the end as well.

There is never any way to say for sure, but if people weren't so dismissive of every Wario character besides her and gave them support as well it could have very well send an even louder message that people want and would be okay with another Wario character, which could maybe have turned things around for Ashley, since her support is clearly there.

I want Kat and Ana (or Mona or 9-Volt or Captain Syrup) more personally, but they now have to bank on there being any interest or plans for them behind the scenes, which is certainly possible, there's just no way for us to tell until we know the full roster
The mentality of "Ashley or bust" seems to have really hurt more than helped. I mean, Mona (or any other Wario character for that matter) have just as a much of a good chance to be playable in Smash, but the heavy belief that Ashley was the ONLY viable option ended up with many disappointed people.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
He could also toss in Jimmy and Dribble & Spitz (if he feels extra nice/funny), but probably nobody else beyond them (unless Cricket's fangirls bother him a lot :p ). Though Syrup could have a chance since Wario Land really only needs two characters representing it (and one of them is in already :ultwario:).

The ironic thing is that this mentality may have hurt Ashley in the end as well.

There is never any way to say for sure, but if people weren't so dimissive of every Wario character besides her and gave them support as well it could have very well send an even louder message that people want and would be okay with another Wario character, which could maybe have turned things around for Ashley, since her support is clearly there.

I want Kat and Ana (or Mona or 9-Volt or Captain Syrup) more personally, but they now have to bank on there being any interest or plans for them behind the scenes, which is certainly possible, there's just no way for us to tell until we know the full roster
Yes! People have focused so much on putting all their eggs in one basket at the detriment of the others, they didn't think for a minute that Sakurai isn't as privy to overexposing Ashley like some parts of Nintendo do.

It would be damning to see Wario Wah-lone again because of missing the forest for the trees.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Splendid little comic I found on 8ch's /co/ board.

Mona's got her act together!

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914

Unless people want that disturbing image of her farting or biting, it just can't work.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Unless people want that disturbing image of her farting or biting, it just can't work.
She can only share a couple of special moves AT MOST (corkscrew and a vehicle). People are desperate enough about Wario lacking characters that they resort to this.

Also they don't need to want it, since Super Slapstick Bros. has it covered.

PsychoJosh

Why does Mona need corkscrew at all? The way I picture her almost all her moves make use of tools/items, she rarely does any fighting herself (except for her jabs).

The only thing she could possibly have in common with Wario is a move that allows her to pull out a vehicle, and even that can be differentiated in a bunch of ways.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Why does Mona need corkscrew at all? The way I picture her almost all her moves make use of tools/items, she rarely does any fighting herself (except for her jabs).

The only thing she could possibly have in common with Wario is a move that allows her to pull out a vehicle, and even that can be differentiated in a bunch of ways.
Right, she just can't work at a clone at all. Just a fully unqiue character.

In fact, NO Wario character can work well as an echo of him. We shouldn't be that desperate.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend

In fact, NO Wario character can work well as an echo of him. We shouldn't be that desperate.
So, can we all agree that the only thing they need to share is a vehicle template? You could do a lot with it.

Mona = scooter
9-Volt = hoverboard
Dribble&Spitz = taxi cab
Orbulon = spaceship

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Oh, wow. People are ACTUALLY buying into the whole 'Mona could be Wario's clone' thing now?

So, can we all agree that the only thing they need to share is a vehicle template? You could do a lot with it.

Mona = scooter
9-Volt = hoverboard
Dribble&Spitz = taxi cab
Orbulon = spaceship
At best, I can see Mona sharing her scooter with Wario's motorcycle, and even then, I've posted ideas above as to how you could differentiate them.

BTW, I think you've just given me some ideas for a Dribble and Spitz AT and an Orbulon AT...

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Let's say that Ashley were to get in eventually (obviously not in base Ultimate). Would you be content if she had a move that summoned a random Ware character, Mona included?

I said in the Ashley thread that this would be a neat way to satisfy the general Warioware fanbase but of course that statement needs to be tested.

GoodGrief741

Smash Legend
Let's say that Ashley were to get in eventually (obviously not in base Ultimate). Would you be content if she had a move that summoned a random Ware character, Mona included?

I said in the Ashley thread that this would be a neat way to satisfy the general Warioware fanbase but of course that statement needs to be tested.
Of course not. It’s debasing to both characters. Ashley has enough material to make a full moveset, and Mona deserves more than that.

Besides, with how reticent Sakurai is about changing movesets, it’d be a death sentence. Certainly one for DLC chances.

PsychoJosh

Summoning other characters for no reason is s terrible idea. Duck Hunt gets away with it because the Wild Gunman characters don't have enough interest or potential on their own to be full characters.

I actually really dislike Ashley and Mona being part of her moveset would be really insulting. Why cant it be the other way around? Mona should summon Ashley if anything.

Last edited:

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Summoning other characters for no reason is s terrible idea. Duck Hunt gets away with it because the Wild Gunman characters don't have enough interest or potential on their own to be full characters.

If Ashley were to summon Warioware characters it would only show to me that my impression of her having no moveset potential would be totally correct. I actually really dislike Ashley and Mona being part of her moveset would be really insulting.
She is shown summoning a demon in Gold, so I don't think that it's too out of left field or confirms that statement of her having no move potential. Especially when one move that's a stretch doesn't discredit a whole moveset. Like Goodgrief said, take away that move and there's still more you can do with her.

Other than that, yeah people who already don't like her would be understandably mad. I just like the idea just because it increases the visibility of the warioware cast, so they're not just locked behind assists and trophies. I'm a proponent for a heavy partner based Paper Mario moveset for the same reason.

smashkirby

Smash Hero

Uuuuhhh...

Like GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 just said, this would be unbelievably degrading. Not just to Mona, but to Ashley as well. I may not be the biggest Ashley fan out there, but even I certainly won't deny that she has heaps more potential for a Smash moveset than something like that.

As for Mona (who I AM a huge fan of), I mean... do I even NEED to go into how someone like her should NEVER be relegated to such a role?

Considering your idea, I should probably go on record right now to say that I don't SEE anyone, nor would I WANT anyone from the main WarioWare cast being relegated to that kind of role outside of maybe Red.

For the record, I'm sorry if I'm coming off as overreacting, it's just... I really hope you're joking about this idea...

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
Uuuuhhh...

Like GoodGrief741 GoodGrief741 just said, this would be unbelievably degrading. Not just to Mona, but to Ashley as well. I may not be the biggest Ashley fan out there, but even I certainly won't deny that she has heaps more potential for a Smash moveset than something like that.

As for Mona (who I AM a huge fan of), I mean... do I even NEED to go into how someone like her should NEVER be relegated to such a role?

Considering your idea, I should probably go on record right now to say that I don't SEE anyone, nor would I WANT anyone from the main WarioWare cast being relegated to that kind of role outside of maybe Red.

For the record, I'm sorry if I'm coming off as overreacting, it's just... I really hope you're joking about this idea...
Oof. I thought it would be a neat little thing. It was an idea I heard tossed around during the Gold threads and Ashley threads on 4chan and it was pretty well received there. I don't think it's that different from being relegated as an assist trophy,

Maybe if it was just the hosts who wouldn't get on the smash stage any other way, so as to not close the door on highly requested characters like Jimmy, 9-Volt, Mona, or Katana. But if you lose them then, that move looks a lot less appealing...

PsychoJosh

How would you like it if Ashley was reduced to only having a cameo in Mona's moveset instead of being a full fighter? Just put her in a capsule toy thst Mona tosses at the opponent. Come on, it'd be a neat little thing. Mona can use capsule toys to summon her friends like Pokemon.

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oof. I thought it would be a neat little thing. It was an idea I heard tossed around during the Gold threads and Ashley threads on 4chan and it was pretty well received there. I don't think it's that different from being relegated as an assist trophy,

Maybe if it was just the hosts who wouldn't get on the smash stage any other way, so as to not close the door on highly requested characters like Jimmy, 9-Volt, Mona, or Katana. But if you lose them then, that move looks a lot less appealing...
Yeah, got to agree with PsychoJosh PsychoJosh here. In fact, I forgot to specific in my last post that despite not being that big of an Ashley fan, I wouldn't even want HER to suffer that fate you described (being relegated to a simple summon for another Wario character and all).

Captain Shades

Smash Ace
I hope Mona can make it in since Ashley can’t. Mona is probably the most important Wario character, even more so then Ashley, as she is Wario’s assistant in most titles and has been there from the beginning. No hate to Ashley fans, since I did support her, I just feel that Mona could be a nice pick since Ashley is relegated to an assist. Mona has had a plethora of jobs, so a move set should be easy.

I hope they use her Gold design over the classic though.

Samcrumpit

Smash Ace
How would you like it if Ashley was reduced to only having a cameo in Mona's moveset instead of being a full fighter? Just put her in a capsule toy thst Mona tosses at the opponent. Come on, it'd be a neat little thing. Mona can use capsule toys to summon her friends like Pokemon.
She's already that as an assist... but if I had to choose between her being an assist or a character summon, I would obviously choose the assist because that has a better chance of becoming playable in DLC, but that's the only distinction I can draw between the two roles. besides one being more viewable among casual fans and the other being more viewable in the competitive scene.

With that example you gave me, I'm imagining a tournament announcer shouting something like, "And Mona gets the lucky draw and her opponent is abducted off the stage by Orbulon!" I think that's more appealing than sometimes seeing them as an assist.

Last edited:
Top Bottom