• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cutest Multitasker Rides into Battle! Mona for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate!

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
In regards to the Mona 3D model, just a quick update. Other than the hands, I pretty much finished the model. I'll start texturing her tomorrow.

This should come in good handy for facial expressions. :)
Cool. Can't wait to see the final.

Glad the gif can give you some expression idea for her. She needs to feel "colorful" with her facial gestures. ;)

smashkirby

Smash Hero
In regards to the Mona 3D model, just a quick update. Other than the hands, I pretty much finished the model. I'll start texturing her tomorrow.

This should come in good handy for facial expressions. :)
Really? That's awesome! I can't wait to see it! It's a good thing PsychoJosh PsychoJosh had that GIF posted, huh? Like AwesomeAussie27 AwesomeAussie27 said, at least you've got a pretty good facial reference for Mona now.

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
You know that Mona art I've promised to make? It's completely done after nearly thirty minutes. The helmet may be too small, but I had to compromise it for the angle I was going with.

I decided to draw her with a rather sassy pose, without being too aggressive to suit her joyous nature. You all can be the judge.

Last edited:

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
You know that Mona art I've promised to make? It's completely done after nearly thirty minutes. The helmet may be too small, but I had to compromise it for the angle I was going with.

I decided to draw her with a rather sassy pose, without being too aggressive to suit her joyous nature. You all can be the judge.
Some criticisms I have is making the skirt a bit lively. It looks a little flat when she has one of her legs lifted, that looks a bit unrealistic. Not like you need to show anything. And the foot part of the boots need to be larger at least.

Still very cute.

What do you think PsychoJosh PsychoJosh ?

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
It looks alright. I like how big her hair is.

If you want some honest critique, I think you should look into drawing forms and shapes. Try to draw a really basic skeleton (like a stick figure shape) of her general pose before you actually start drawing her. You can use a 2H pencil or lighter to make sure the stick figure isn't very visible in the final drawing.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
It looks alright. I like how big her hair is.

If you want some honest critique, I think you should look into drawing forms and shapes. Try to draw a really basic skeleton (like a stick figure shape) of her general pose before you actually start drawing her. You can use a 2H pencil or lighter to make sure the stick figure isn't very visible in the final drawing.
Thank you. Definitely going to actually keep that in mind for future references. That would definitely make things more cleaner and less messy than doing things without a proper skeleton. This will be helpful for future works I have planned for the year,

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey, Curious Villager Curious Villager , any progress on that 3D Mona?
This month has been very busy for me, so unfortunately I didn't get as much chance to work on her, I also got asked by an indie dev to help them with their project too so I kind of had to put her (as well as my other projects) on hold, I'll be sure to get back to her as soon as I can though.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
This month has been very busy for me, so unfortunately I didn't get as much chance to work on her, I also got asked by an indie dev to help them with their project too so I kind of had to put her (as well as my other projects) on hold, I'll be sure to get back to her as soon as I can though.
That's perfectly fine mate, take your time and finish when you feel you are ready for it.

P.Kay

Smash Apprentice
NNID
plenty.kay
3DS FC
3153-8243-0352
Alongside Mona, there are a lot of other WarioWare characters I'd like for Smash. Mona could have multiple alt costumes because she has so many different roles in WarioWare games (rock star, treasure hunter/explorer, cheerleader and so on...). Because she has had so many careers she could have a really good moveset with various different moves that reference back to certain games she's been in.

I'm definitely supporting this! :4wario2:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Oh, well. Take as long as you need, OK?

Alongside Mona, there are a lot of other WarioWare characters I'd like for Smash. Mona could have multiple alt costumes because she has so many different roles in WarioWare games (rock star, treasure hunter/explorer, cheerleader and so on...). Because she has had so many careers she could have a really good moveset with various different moves that reference back to certain games she's been in.

I'm definitely supporting this! :4wario2:
Yomi's Biggest Fan Yomi's Biggest Fan , looks we have a new supporter!

Anyone wanna draw Mona splatting Ganondorf with a giant egg yolk?
If only I was a good artist...Remind me, where'd the giant egg yolk thing come from? Just curious...

PsychoJosh

If only I was a good artist...Remind me, where'd the giant egg yolk thing come from? Just curious...
It's one of Mona's minigames in the original Warioware. I adapted it into an idea for her down-air where she pulls out a giant egg and cracks it open (on her opponent's head).

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

Thought of a new move for her just now.

Fries With That? - Mona's up-air. She pulls out a very large ketchup bottle and hugs it tightly, squirting a blast of ketchup upwards. (Geez, my version of Mona has a lot of food-themed projectiles)

Based on this minigame. Do you guys think Mona puts ketchup on her soda?

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Just thought you guys might like to see a quick update for Mona's model.
I've been polishing up her model and will be texturing her soon. If you feel that I should make some additional tweaks and/or changes or got any suggestions for palette swaps, do let me know.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last edited:

PsychoJosh

I mean, I was expecting your model to be an example of how she would look in Smash.

Realistic proportions, attractive, sort of willowy..

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Oh, normally I'd prefer to keep the characters as accurate to their original design's as possible.
Also I'm trying to keep Mona's relative size and proportions relative to how she was portrayed in Wario Ware with Wario (As well as Ashley and Kat & Ana I suppose) who she isn't too much taller than them from what I'm seeing, so I don't think I would want her to tower over them and all, height wise. (I think making her about a head shorter than Peach should work out fine, at least looking at the height differences between Wario and Peach and Wario and herself, she's also a young adult after all, at least, if I recall correctly)

Though then again, Mona's design seems to be pretty inconsistent throughout the Wario Ware series and she seems to have gotten a more proportionate design in later entries in the series so I guess I could try maybe hitting a middle ground of some sorts for her....

Edit: Just had a quick check through in both Smash and Wario Ware. If Mona where to appear in Smash (Be it playable, Assist Trophy or anything else) I think she'd be roughly around this tall.

I think they would want to keep her relatively accurate to the rest of the Wario Ware cast height wise, which seems to be around this scale (Not fully accurate to scale mind)

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Oh, normally I'd prefer to keep the characters as accurate to their original design's as possible.
Also I'm trying to keep Mona's relative size and proportions relative to how she was portrayed in Wario Ware with Wario (As well as Ashley and Kat & Ana I suppose) who she isn't too much taller than them from what I'm seeing, so I don't think I would want her to tower over them and all, height wise. (I think making her about a head shorter than Peach should work out fine, at least looking at the height differences between Wario and Peach and Wario and herself, she's also a young adult after all, at least, if I recall correctly)

Though then again, Mona's design seems to be pretty inconsistent throughout the Wario Ware series and she seems to have gotten a more proportionate design in later entries in the series so I guess I could try maybe hitting a middle ground of some sorts for her....

Edit: Just had a quick check through in both Smash and Wario Ware. If Mona where to appear in Smash (Be it playable, Assist Trophy or anything else) I think she'd be roughly around this tall.

I think they would want to keep her relatively accurate to the rest of the Wario Ware cast height wise, which seems to be around this scale (Not fully accurate to scale mind)
I like the way things look. Nice.

And good attention to detail on possible size scaling. I agree that she should be slightly taller than Wario.

PsychoJosh

It's interesting that you took that attention to detail into account, but just personally speaking I don't think they would keep Mona superdeformed if she was officially put into Smash. There isn't a single human female in the cast who has superdeformed qualities, as they try to make the characters look as artistically consistent as possible (which is commendable as all the characters come from games with different art styles). Not only that but there is also a fanservice factor in making the female characters look as attractive as possible. I think Mona would have anime-style "realistic" proportions if she were put in this game.

Also, I think Wario should be made bigger in Smash. Just saying.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I do agree that Wario should be made taller in Smash. He's even shorter than Mario for whatever reason (Isn't he usually at least about as tall as him, if not, slightly taller?)

I'll try to make her a bit more proportionate then, though I think she should still be a bit shorter than Peach and the rest of the
human female characters in Smash as I do still wish to keep her a little bit in line with the rest of the Wario Ware cast. (Plus isn't she like a teenager/young adult in the Wario Ware series? Compared to the rest of the female cast in Smash who are mostly grown adults from what I know...)

I'll design her under the assumption that Wario will be made a bit larger by the next Smash. I'll take a second look at Peach's model and see how I'll handle this.

Edit: Alright, how does this look?
This is based off her proportions from Wario Ware Smooth Moves for Wii rather than Mega Party games for Gamecube this time around. She's clipping a bit though but I should hopefully be able to fix that...

Do let me know what you think.

Last edited:

PsychoJosh

That's a bit closer to what I was expecting. She still has the chibi torso but I guess I can let that slide in this case. I'm not against it because it is pretty cute. Still, I just have to wonder what she'd look like with the anime-style proportions that the rest of the ladies have. Ideally in a game like this she'd have her superdeformed art style as an alternate skin to her regular anime-style skin.

Also I'm pretty sure Mona is already an adult the first time we see her, as she's attending what appears to be a prestigious college. She also claims to be attending college in the manual and taking jobs to pay her tuition.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
That's a bit closer to what I was expecting. She still has the chibi torso but I guess I can let that slide in this case. I'm not against it because it is pretty cute. Still, I just have to wonder what she'd look like with the anime-style proportions that the rest of the ladies have. Ideally in a game like this she'd have her superdeformed art style as an alternate skin to her regular anime-style skin.

Also I'm pretty sure Mona is already an adult the first time we see her, as she's attending what appears to be a prestigious college. She also claims to be attending college in the manual and taking jobs to pay her tuition.
Oh, her torso still needs some work since it's not fully aligned to how she was in Smooth Moves (I kind of have to work with her cheerleader design with that you see), I'll see if I can make that a bit more proportionate.

Oh I see, that makes sense, for some reason I thought she was still attending High School....

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Just thought you guys might like to see a quick update for Mona's model.

I've been polishing up her model and will be texturing her soon. If you feel that I should make some additional tweaks and/or changes or got any suggestions for palette swaps, do let me know.
Hey, looking good! Though, I have to agree with PsychoJosh PsychoJosh . It's probably for the best that you redid Mona's model to resemble her Touched/Smooth Moves incarnation more. It would feel a little "off" if she didn't have a more "svelte" appearance.

I'll try to make her a bit more proportionate then, though I think she should still be a bit shorter than Peach and the rest of the human female characters in Smash as I do still wish to keep her a little bit in line with the rest of the Wario Ware cast. (Plus, isn't she like a teenager/young adult in the Wario Ware series? Compared to the rest of the female cast in Smash who are mostly grown adults from what I know...)
Yeah, she does seem like she'd be either as tall as or slightly shorter than Princess Peach.

Out of curiosity, are you using her design that she used from Mega Microgames/Mega Party Games to D.I.Y, or are you going with Game & Wario to be consistent with Ashley, Kat, and Ana?

Side note: It's implied (from what I can remember) that Mona is somewhere between 16-20. Obviously, Nintendo's pretty ambiguous on her age.

Oh I see, that makes sense, for some reason I thought she was still attending High School....
If my memory serves me right, Smooth Moves is the final WW game to have Mona in high school. Every WW game after that implies that she's in college.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Hey, looking good! Though, I have to agree with PsychoJosh PsychoJosh . It's probably for the best that you redid Mona's model to resemble her Touched/Smooth Moves incarnation more. It would feel a little "off" if she didn't have a more "svelte" appearance.
Alrighty then, I'll polish up that version then, It's a good thing I thought to ask for feedback first before texturing and rigging her or else I'd have to do that all over.... ^^;

Yeah, she does seem like she'd be either as tall as or slightly shorter than Princess Peach.

Out of curiosity, are you using her design that she used from Mega Microgames/Mega Party Games to D.I.Y, or are you going with Game & Wario to be consistent with Ashley, Kat, and Ana?

Side note: It's implied (from what I can remember) that Mona is somewhere between 16-20. Obviously, Nintendo's pretty ambiguous on her age.
I think I'm going to go for mostly her original design (With her blue eyes and everything) as that's what I'm working on for the most part (and from what I've seen, I think most people prefer that design over her Game & Wario look) though I think I might include her Game & Wario eyes as a separate option for those who do like it, or simply wish to keep her more in line with Ashley and Kat & Ana in Smash (Assuming someone will import her into Smash Wii U once I'm done with her, which I do hope someone will do)

If my memory serves me right, Smooth Moves is the final WW game to have Mona in high school. Every WW game after that implies that she's in college.
Oh I see, I thought I've read somewhere that she was attending high school, but I suppose that's outdated information now. (Now that I think of it, her jobs and hobbies between the first game to Smooth Moves do reflect that of the typical hobbies and part time jobs teenagers go with whereas her jobs from DIY and G&W reflect on her doing more full time jobs post graduation. Heh, nice attention to detail there. ^^

Last edited:

smashkirby

Smash Hero
So, just wanted to revive this thread by posting this:

Wasn't there an official WW game where Mona could rock Wario's overalls look?

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
So, just wanted to revive this thread by posting this:

Wasn't there an official WW game where Mona could rock Wario's overalls look?
No, not that I've heard of. But that's a good fan edit if I've ever seen one.

And given she dressed in his Biker Outfit in the first game, it wouldn't really surprise me. We all know she has a thing for 20 year old bad boys.

PsychoJosh

Now that Smash Switch has officially been revealed, I want to seriously get to brass tacks and start campaigning for Mona.

Shall we begin by deliberating on a moveset? I'm gonna start drawing some concepts for her moves soon.

And yes, Mona briefly appears in Wario's duds during one of her break scenes in the first Warioware.

upload_2018-3-9_4-18-2.png

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Now that Smash Switch has officially been revealed, I want to seriously get to brass tacks and start campaigning for Mona.

Shall we begin by deliberating on a moveset? I'm gonna start drawing some concepts for her moves soon.
Oh for sure, we can both talk about this tomorrow (or technically later today because of what time it is). That way we can get things rolling.

Speaking of which, WarioWare Gold is a thing. Guess Wario isn't really a dead series anymore. And most of Mona's best microgames are likely remastered for the 3DS.

Last edited:

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
I was wondering if Wario Ware was ever going to get a 3DS game released, seemed a bit odd for that console to be skipped out on.
Also glad to know Game & Wario didn't completely kill off the Wario Ware series. Will be rooting for Mona again as usual.

PsychoJosh

Ah yeah, WarioWare Gold! I forgot all about that. Yeah, it seems that Mona would be more relevant than ever right now, what with Smash allegedly coming out in 2018 according to the trailer date.

I started drawing a moveset for her that I'll continue tomorrow, but I kinda wanna draw her pulling out a giant toothbrush for an attack. Sadly in my moveset, her forward+B (moped) and her forward smash (Nighttime Allergies) are alraedy taken. Maybe it'd be her forward tilt?

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Ah yeah, WarioWare Gold! I forgot all about that. Yeah, it seems that Mona would be more relevant than ever right now, what with Smash allegedly coming out in 2018 according to the trailer date.

I started drawing a moveset for her that I'll continue tomorrow, but I kinda wanna draw her pulling out a giant toothbrush for an attack. Sadly in my moveset, her forward+B (moped) and her forward smash (Nighttime Allergies) are alraedy taken. Maybe it'd be her forward tilt?
Yeah, the sneeze would work as a forward tilt.

A love the tooth brush idea. That fits her alot. Perhaps as a dash attack or a down throw.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Have anyone seen this yet?

I can already tell this artstyle is a serious improvement compared to the pale black eyed style from Game & Wario. Now all I need is to see Mona in that style and I'm set.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Mona is the character that has the most diverse set of skills to draw from in the Warioware series, even if Ashley has the fan/dev popularity.

WarioWare Gold may be a compilation but ti means a lot as it shows that WW has not been forgotten. Plus it looks like the Man with the Maw himself is amoung the shadows so he may not be relegated to unlock status.

Curious Villager

Puzzles...
Last edited:

Freduardo

Smash Champion
I need the pizzaria Mona song to stay in the sound test.

I like that song.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
I need the pizzaria Mona song to stay in the sound test.

I like that song.
That song not coming back to Smash was the biggest mistake the team ever did.

Then there's making the new Ashley theme remix Japan-only.....

PsychoJosh

Yeah, the sneeze would work as a forward tilt.

A love the tooth brush idea. That fits her alot. Perhaps as a dash attack or a down throw.
Down throw is already Sole Man (where she turns her enemy into a Fronk and stomps on them). The whole reason I made her sneeze her forward smash is because of the comedy aspect of "charging up" the sneeze (ah... ah... ACHOO!), which is lost if it becomes a tilt.

Dash attack or f-tilt both kind of work. I was thinking that the toothbrush is a multi-hitting attack because she thrusts it forward two or three times (basically doing a brushing motion).

Oh, and I just had a fantastic idea for her Final Smash.

Final Smash - "Oh no, I'm late!" - Mona looks at her wristwatch and panics because she is late for work at the gelateria. She zooms forward on her moped, and any opponents she crashes into suddenly find themselves on a paved highway. Mona comes speeding down the highway with a zillion police cars chasing after her, and as she speeds by, all the police cars crash into the opponents. Finally, Mona's piggy pops out of her scooter and kicks a round bomb into all the police cars and opponents, sending them flying everywhere.

Last edited:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593
Down throw is already Sole Man (where she turns her enemy into a Fronk and stomps on them). The whole reason I made her sneeze her forward smash is because of the comedy aspect of "charging up" the sneeze (ah... ah... ACHOO!), which is lost if it becomes a tilt.

Dash attack or f-tilt both kind of work. I was thinking that the toothbrush is a multi-hitting attack because she thrusts it forward two or three times (basically doing a brushing motion).

Oh, and I just had a fantastic idea for her Final Smash.

Final Smash - "Oh no, I'm late!" - Mona looks at her wristwatch and panics because she is late for work at the gelateria. She zooms forward on her moped, and any oppoents she crashes into suddenly find themselves on a paved highway. Mona comes speeding down the highway with a zillion police cars chasing after her, and as she speeds by, all the police cars crash into the opponents. Finally, Mona's piggy pops out of her scooter and kicks a round bomb into all the police cars and opponents, sending them flying everywhere.
Oh true, I guess you would have to find other places to use the moves. A combo for the toothbrush is perfect in the sense that she can keep brushing the ground and beating up her foes.

Though that Final Smash, it's good. Mona was always running late in most of her appearances, so for this being a big part of her Final Smash works well. A cutscene final smash is perfect n the way you get a good look at the BS Mona deals with in her life, like someone always chasing her when she tries to make it to work. Good incorporation of her animal friends too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom