• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cute Baby Pokémon, the Melee underdog: Pichu for DLC Discussion - Under New Ownership! VOTE NOW!

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Haha, I think the Light Ball used to only raise Pikachu's Special Attack really. I believe it also started raising Pikachu's Attack from HG/SS onwards.

Also, hence why I said 'if they'd manage to pull that off somehow', mostly referencing to the way Pichu has different body structures from Pikachu. Seeing as how Pichu WAS largely a Pikachu clone in Melee though, I don't see it as too much of a stretch for Sakurai to pull this off. Of course, Pichu wouldn't hurt himself anymore with its electric attacks if it WOULD be a Pikachu alt.
I always thought it raised it's speed too, I mean... The name of the item just suggests it already xD

Not to mention it was a debuffed pika clone... I mean, hurting itself? What kind of trolling xD
I think Pichu was meant for those people who were looking for the challange, and with such a debuff, he sure does give one...
I don't think he'll make it though, but we'll see

Yosher

Smash Ace
NNID
Yosher
I always thought it raised it's speed too, I mean... The name of the item just suggests it already xD

Not to mention it was a debuffed pika clone... I mean, hurting itself? What kind of trolling xD
I think Pichu was meant for those people who were looking for the challange, and with such a debuff, he sure does give one...
I don't think he'll make it though, but we'll see
How does Light Ball suggest it raising speed? As in making the Pikachu lighter or something? I'm sure the Light is just short for Lightning in this case.

As for Pichu, the fact that it hurts itself comes from its various Pokédex entries and its anime/movie appearances where they tended to shock themselves when using electic type moves. It's not so much a troll as just staying true to the character; Pichu's addition in itself may have been a 'troll' move on Sakurai's part, I suppose, but I think Pichu was just added to get another character in there, y'know. Much like Falco at the time.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
How does Light Ball suggest it raising speed? As in making the Pikachu lighter or something? I'm sure the Light is just short for Lightning in this case.

As for Pichu, the fact that it hurts itself comes from its various Pokédex entries and its anime/movie appearances where they tended to shock themselves when using electic type moves. It's not so much a troll as just staying true to the character; Pichu's addition in itself may have been a 'troll' move on Sakurai's part, I suppose, but I think Pichu was just added to get another character in there, y'know. Much like Falco at the time.
Exactly! And I didn't know that either! Wauw, I feel like such a poké n00b now, lol

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pichu brought up the idea of clones in general, many sources state. Sakurai might've had trouble thinking of a 'new' Pokémon to add at that time (which I don't blame him for) so in a hindsight, Pichu made sence being in Melee at that given time. Am quite positive he won't return this time around, but if he was an optional DLC, I'd definitely get him.

Egg.

Smash Journeyman
Though I can't attest to this source's credibility, this person claims that in an old interview with Sakurai, he said that Pichu was added to represent the 2nd generation of Pokemon, which would make sense since Melee was released before Gen 3 I believe.
  • Sakurai considered adding a character from Pokémon Gold/Silver during planning, but none of the popular options were feasible.
  • He thought about having a trainer summon the second generation starters, but there wasn't time/resources for such a labor-intensive character.
  • Pichu was promoted as the main Pokémon from those games, but it would have been too similar to Pikachu, so Sakurai passed on it.

Pichu4SSB4

You're not going Turbo?
Pichu brought up the idea of clones in general, many sources state. Sakurai might've had trouble thinking of a 'new' Pokémon to add at that time (which I don't blame him for) so in a hindsight, Pichu made sence being in Melee at that given time. Am quite positive he won't return this time around, but if he was an optional DLC, I'd definitely get him.
Obviously Pichu was added in Melee at the very last second of the game's development, because it took next to no effort and just to fill up the 25 character slots. There's no other character who was added for that very reason... right?

:drmario::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::roymelee::falcomelee:: Hi.

...Oh.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Obviously Pichu was added in Melee at the very last second of the game's development, because it took next to no effort and just to fill up the 25 character slots. There's no other character who was added for that very reason... right?

:drmario::younglinkmelee::ganondorfmelee::roymelee::falcomelee:: Hi.

...Oh.
Diddy's right though. Pichu was the one who sparked the clone idea for Sakurai.

Check out the documents in the SSB4 Source thread.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
Pichu was a joke.
A JOKE?!?!?!?! You think Pichu in Melee was a joke, Mister Funnyman? Pichu is the only smash character in history introduced from the second generation. Think about it, we have six gen 1 characters, 1 from Gen 2, Pokemon Trainer being modeled after Red/Ash in his appearance in Gen 3, and Lucario from Gen 4. Pichu in Melee was anything BUT a joke! No offense.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
A JOKE?!?!?!?! You think Pichu in Melee was a joke, Mister Funnyman? Pichu is the only smash character in history introduced from the second generation. Think about it, we have six gen 1 characters, 1 from Gen 2, Pokemon Trainer being modeled after Red/Ash in his appearance in Gen 3, and Lucario from Gen 4. Pichu in Melee was anything BUT a joke! No offense.
He was purposely designed as the joke character.

Even the trophy in Melee says the best strategy with him is to just use items...

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Sorry, buddy! Can't go by that unless you give me some proof!

"Compared with Pikachu, Pichu is a tad more nimble and a little more difficult to hit. Those are the only two advantages, however, and since Pichu damages itself when it uses electrical attacks, it's best suited for handicapped matches. Even though Pichu's tough to catch, it's easy to throw its tiny frame great distances."

"Pichu is the lightest character in Super Smash Bros. Melee, and it's top of the class in weakness, too! For Pichu, it's all about scampering here and there to pick up items that will help it survive. The first warp in Agility causes 1 point of damage to Pichu, and the second causes 3, so try to limit the number of times you use the move."

If I say something, I have proof.

If you think I'm somehow lying to you, go boot up Melee and read Pichu's trophies.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me

"Compared with Pikachu, Pichu is a tad more nimble and a little more difficult to hit. Those are the only two advantages, however, and since Pichu damages itself when it uses electrical attacks, it's best suited for handicapped matches. Even though Pichu's tough to catch, it's easy to throw its tiny frame great distances."
"Pichu is the lightest character in Super Smash Bros. Melee, and it's top of the class in weakness, too! For Pichu, it's all about scampering here and there to pick up items that will help it survive. The first warp in Agility causes 1 point of damage to Pichu, and the second causes 3, so try to limit the number of times you use the move."
If I say something, I have proof.

If you think I'm somehow lying to you, go boot up Melee and read Pichu's trophies.
Haw! You'd think I'd call a moderator a liar? You still haven't proved that Pichu in Melee was an attempt of humor!

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Haw! You'd think I'd call a moderator a liar? You still haven't proved that Pichu in Melee was an attempt of humor!
What do you think "Joke character" means?

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Probably not what you have in mind.
The definition of a joke character is... "Characters, often in the form of Easter Eggs, deliberately unbalanced in the negative sense."

Pichu was designed to be bad. He is a joke character.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
The definition of a joke character is... "Characters, often in the form of Easter Eggs, deliberately unbalanced in the negative sense."

Pichu was designed to be bad. He is a joke character.
Well since you've put it that way, BUT, I define a joke character as a character put in just for a ton of yucks. Someone like the Wii Fit Trainer

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Well since you've put it that way, BUT, I define a joke character as a character put in just for a ton of yucks. Someone like the Wii Fit Trainer
That would be the "fighting clown."

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
If that's how you put it, then I assure you that Pichu was not a fighting clown, and nothing like the Sammy Davis Junior of Super Smash Bros.
I agree. Pichu was designed as a joke character, not a fighting clown.

Wario and Game & Watch were some fighting clowns as they use humor in their movesets. Wii Fit Trainer can be considered one as well.

Jason the Yoshi

Watching Me, Wanting Me
I agree. Pichu was designed as a joke character, not a fighting clown.

Wario and Game & Watch were some fighting clowns as they use humor in their movesets. Wii Fit Trainer can be considered one as well.
Yeah, I could tell you some great Wario stories, but that would make me CliffJumper the StoryTeller. LOL
But yes, Pichu was notable for being an inadequate character, that's why I practiced as soon as I unlocked him

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
You're not Sakurai XD
You can't know if he made Pichu bad purposely :/
Compared with Pikachu, Pichu is a tad more nimble and a little more difficult to hit. Those are the only two advantages, however, and since Pichu damages itself when it uses electrical attacks, it's best suited for handicapped matches. Even though Pichu's tough to catch, it's easy to throw its tiny frame great distances."

Here are Pichu's trophy descriptions.

He made him bad purposely.

It's like you didn't even read the conversation in front of you.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Compared with Pikachu, Pichu is a tad more nimble and a little more difficult to hit. Those are the only two advantages, however, and since Pichu damages itself when it uses electrical attacks, it's best suited for handicapped matches. Even though Pichu's tough to catch, it's easy to throw its tiny frame great distances."

Here are Pichu's trophy descriptions.

He made him bad purposely.

It's like you didn't even read the conversation in front of you.
Well crap XD
I didn't read that because I don't care about the trophies.
Now I feel bad for Kirby XD

MewtwoMaster2002

ミュウツーマスター2002
3DS FC
2922-0496-2962
Pichu as a joke character was why I enjoyed using him as one of my mains in the first place...

MasterofMonster

Smash Master
I want all Melee Cuts to return, but I only expect Mewtwo to. Hehe. Mewtwotoo.

I want Pichu back, he was fun to use. He may have been a 'joke character', but damn I kicked some major... um... heinei.
And it's so cute using Thunder and seeing Pichu cry as it hits itself. XD

HatsuneMiku

Smash Apprentice
For now, but it won't be doing that for long.
1. Koopalings in Mario Kart 8
2. The next big Sonic thing being solely for Nintendo
3. The new smash that we are here to talk about
I really do hope things get better for Wii U, i love the console. And most games coming out this year i'm looking forward to the most are on Wii U.

SuperBrawler

Smash Master
I would much prefer a Richu over this rat coming back.
FOOLISH MORTAL!
I want all Melee Cuts to return, but I only expect Mewtwo to. Hehe. Mewtwotoo.

I want Pichu back, he was fun to use. He may have been a 'joke character', but damn I kicked some major... um... heinei.
And it's so cute using Thunder and seeing Pichu cry as it hits itself. XD
Yes yes...

... Except that last part.

Top Bottom