• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "Cut 5 Characters" Game

?????????????

Smash Master
This started in the "Super Smash Bros. for Switch" thread, and went on so long, I was suggested to make it it's own thread.

Here's the game; you MUST pick 5 characters to cut from the current roster of Super Smash Bros. for 3DS/Wii U to not be on the initial roster of Super Smash Bros. for Switch.

You can justify your cuts by assuming they will be DLC later, so all options are open.

Here are the rules:
1.) You may not cut Dr. Mario, Lucina, or Dark Pit. They were quick additions and would be too easy to pick.
2.) You may not cut Miis. It's easy to count them as three characters.
3.) You may not question someone else's choices. We don't want to turn this game into an argument.

Who will you pick? What do you prioritize? Representation numbers? Characters you believe were poorly executed? Characters you think shouldn't be on the roster? Or characters you just don't like?

I'll start:
:4feroy::4lucas::4ryu::4jigglypuff::4corrin:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
What happens if we're right. Do we win anything?

Glitch_Wiz

Smash Cadet
:4lucina::4ryu::4wiifit::4cloud:

I am hoping :4bayonetta:as well, but she is made by sega... so she has a chance to stay in.

EDIT: I had :4lucina: in the list in the first place not because of being a marth clone, but just how fire emblem is represented. :4robinm: and :4corrin: are fine as is anyways, thinking about it, it really represents the playstyle for their actual games (being a tactitian) as you don't strictly use swords.

Last edited:

Lyndis_

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-6600-3090-1548
:4bayonetta::4corrinf::4feroy::4zss::4lucario:

Same reasons as before, mainly.

Lucario is because I think they honestly have one of the most boring movesets in the game. I considered Greninja instead, however both Mewtwo and Greninja are much more unique than Lucario is, really. Greninja just needs some help in the way of framedata.

Zero Suit Samus I simply dislike how they're represented in Smash. The super dominant innuendo whip & heels thing that never existed (and actually clashes with Samus' canon personality) really annoys me. Also just the fact ZSS is supposed to be useless, because if Samus isn't able to use her suit it's because she has low focus or energy and not really capable of much in the terms of fighting. I'd much prefer a real Metroid rep that doesn't have to be made up, such as Ridley or Sylux.

Roy because I'm not allowed to pick Lucina.

Last edited:

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
:4bayonetta2::4marth::4jigglypuff::4falco::4cloud:
No good reason to remove them, I simply do not like them for various reasons.

SiO2

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Sprocket
:4duckhunt::4falco::4wiifit::4ness::4ganondorf:

Although :4duckhunt: is iconic to us American gamers, there isn't as long a legacy as other characters.
:4falco: should be retired when we have :4fox:.
:4wiifit:will be cut unless there is a new "Switch Fit" game
:4ness:because no new Mother game in forever (or ever again?)
:4ganondorf:because he is still a :4falcon: clone, and the latest Legend of Zelda game does not feature a humanoid :4ganondorf:.

D

Deleted member

:4cloud::4bayonetta::4jigglypuff::4wiifit::4lucas:

They're my least favorite characters on the roster, although it would still be sad to see them go.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
:4bayonetta:: Bayonetta causes a lot of problems for players. Some have simply quit because of her. I feel she was made out of spite for those who play competitively. If she returns, she needs to be severely toned down like Meta Knight.

:4cloud:: Cloud is overrated. I've never understood why some people like some blond wielding a bludgeon. (It's a bludgeon. No sword works like that. If I knew how to mod, Cloud's sword would match the way it functions.)

:4feroy:: I'm not allowed to discard Lucina, the Marth cosplayer. Roy isn't unique and isn't as good as Marth or Lucina. In fact, he's the worst FE character.

:rosalina:: Rosalina had her time to shine. Really, this character is carried by Luma. Just make Luma a playable character. Ta-da! Starfy confirmed.

:4tlink:: Toon Link is a waste of space. Link could be a better character if this knock-off wasn't focused on as much by the developers. (Yes, Toon Link is a knock-off. He's not even a descendant of the Hero.)

Morbi

Scavenger
I already did this game last night, but this time, I will add explanations and update it to reflect an egregious error I made on my part. The first two, I dislike. The next two, I feel deserve better. The last one is just...

First, :4gaw:, he has no coherent play-style. The "everything and the kitchen sink" style, if you can even call it that, was better embodied by Villager, a character from Animal Crossing, a series worth remembering (and I hate it, by the way, but I am at the very least objective about it). He is just a flat stick figure model. His frames make him nauseating to play. There are better ways to cherish the past.

Secondly, :4rob:, he is boring. If you gave a five-year old "robot" as a concept, surely they would have churned out something much more interesting. Sure, we have the lasers, great. Some rock-em-sock-em elements, check, fidget spinner... Wait, what? Furthermore, I do not even believe he originated as a game character. I could be wrong, I feel as though I mentioned it before and one of his defenders gave me some convulsed reasoning to justify him. Either way, he is just poorly designed in concept and not particularly engaging.

Third, :4sonic:, this reason is a bit different. I believe Sonic is more or less poorly represented in Smash. He just spins despite countless ideas that could have been used for inspiration. One spin is fine, it is iconic, but when that is almost literally all he did in Brawl, that is a problem. They barely attempted to rectify the situation either.

Fourth, :4palutena:, I love the character and wanted her in Smash desperately. However, Sakurai seemingly challenged himself to make a more boring, less viable Zelda. And, well, he somehow succeeded.

Last but technically not least, :4pacman:, because he is weird.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I already did this game last night, but this time, I will add explanations and update it to reflect an egregious error I made on my part. The first two, I dislike. The next two, I feel deserve better. The last one is just...

First, :4gaw:, he has no coherent play-style. The "everything and the kitchen sink" style, if you can even call it that, was better embodied by Villager, a character from Animal Crossing, a series worth remembering (and I hate it, by the way, but I am at the very least objective about it). He is just a flat stick figure model. His frames make him nauseating to play. There are better ways to cherish the past.

Secondly, :4rob:, he is boring. If you gave a five-year old "robot" as a concept, surely they would have churned out something much more interesting. Sure, we have the lasers, great. Some rock-em-sock-em elements, check, fidget spinner... Wait, what? Furthermore, I do not even believe he originated as a game character. I could be wrong, I feel as though I mentioned it before and one of his defenders gave me some convulsed reasoning to justify him. Either way, he is just poorly designed in concept and not particularly engaging.

Third, :4sonic:, this reason is a bit different. I believe Sonic is more or less poorly represented in Smash. He just spins despite countless ideas that could have been used for inspiration. One spin is fine, it is iconic, but when that is almost literally all he did in Brawl, that is a problem. They barely attempted to rectify the situation either.

Fourth, :4palutena:, I love the character and wanted her in Smash desperately. However, Sakurai seemingly challenged himself to make a more boring, less viable Zelda. And, well, he somehow succeeded.

Last but technically not least, :4pacman:, because he is weird.
I would have dropped R.O.B., simply because he's not even a video game character. (A cameo is not, in my mind, the same as being a video game character, no more than a palm tree in a Kirby game.) But we're all limited to five.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
:4bayonetta::4cloud::4ryu::4corrin::4greninja:

Pretty simple really, cutting down on 3rd party characters and making way for the inevitable new Pokémon and FE characters.

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
:4sheik::4zss:
Because I dislike having the same character on the roster twice (count your blessings, Doc :p)
:4feroy:
So I can freely want more Fire Emblem characters without half e fanbase calling for my head :laugh:
:4lucas:
Sorry Lucas, but being a Japan only semi-clone made you an easier cut...
:4falcon:
Just don't like him. "Mission Report. July 14th. 2014."

Mr.ケイ

Smash Apprentice
Choosing only 5 is hard since I have a list of at least 17 characters to cut.
:4tlink: His moveset like 90% identical to Link, they didn't even try. This reasoning can be leveled towards the other semi-clones. Granted, if they changed either his or Vanilla Link's moveset to be completely different then I'd be ok with him staying. This is actually something that applies to all the semi-clones, except for the following 2.
:4ganondorf: Replace him with Pig Ganon, the OG Zelda villain.
:4feroy: So we can get a more unique FE character.
:4rob: He's literally just a toy.
:4lucario: Make room for other Pokemon.

Jamisinon

Smash Apprentice
1) :4duckhunt: Nobody wanted him in the first place. He hasn't been in other smash games. He's from a relatively very old game so most people playing smash didn't have an NES with the zapper.
2) :4cloud2: Two words: SQUARE ENIX. He's most likely the most difficult character to obtain the rights for.
3) :4wiifit: Another character nobody asked for. No other smash game appearances. Not a super popular character and to the best of my knowledge there isn't any wii fit game on the Switch (plus, what would they do? recreate the character as switch fit trainer?)
4) :4feroy: He didn't make the initial sm4sh roster. He was essentially replaced by Ike in Brawl. There are so many fire emblem characters he seems the most likely to go and be replaced by some newer more relevant FE character. Plus fans of Roy as a character have Marth/Lucina and Ike so he doesn't leave a large void.
5) :4charizard: Similar reassons as to why I said Roy. Tons of newer pokemon people will relate to more. Charizard was part of a trio in Brawl and if they cut squirtle and ivysaur that doesn't inspire a ton of faith. Pika and Puff are part of the original 12 so are safe. Mewtwo has been in smash since Melee. Lucario was his own character in Brawl unlike Charizard. I could see Greninja cut since he only has 1 smash appearance but bc he's simply newer than charizard i have to say zard.

Last edited:

Hinata

Never forget, a believing heart is your magic.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-5535-3962-2797
I'll repost my cuts from the main thread.

:4bowserjr::4diddy::4lucas::4duckhunt::4rob:

I'd prefer no cuts, as I'm sure most people would, but if I have to choose, it'd be those guys.

4/5 of these are because I don't personally play the character, nor do I know anyone who does. The 5th one is just because I hate Diddy Kong.

Icedragonadam

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-5227-6397-6112
1.:4cloud: Square seemed really stingy with the Final Fantasy content considering the lack of it even compared to Street Fighter! I like him but he's the most likely to go.

2. :4corrin::4corrinf: They do have a unique moveset, but six Fire Emblem characters is a bit too much IMO. And I would easily choose Lucina if that was valid over them but I prefer Roy over Corrin over Lucina

3. :4charizard: or :4jigglypuff:. Honestly I would prefer variety for Pokemon and add Pokemon from other gens. Charizard for me because I never really liked him compared to others, or Jigglypuff who I actually like more but definitely seems expendable.

4. :4sonic:. I know I know he's the most iconic 3rd party in the game. But the way he was portrayed on 4 just made him one of my most hated characters in the game.

5. :4zss: or:4sheik:. Not only do I hate fighting them but their original counterparts are just so subpar compared to them. It would be nice if Zelda and Samus had focus on them to make them better.

Last edited:

Oddball

Smash Lord
Corrin because I don't think Corrin ever made the impact that Nintendo expected them to.

Ike because I had to cut at least ONE of the Fire Emblem sword guys.

Sheik because I don't think Sheik is relevant anymore.

Lucario because I just thik his design is stupid.

Greninja because I don't like the way he fights.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
:4mii::4cloud::4sheik::4wiifit::4pacman:

Reasons you want? Reasons you get!

:4mii:: Just all the Mii Fighters, so realistically this makes 3 full movesets. But am being generous here. The Mii's where enourmously time consuming, and are easily the least popular characters and most overlooked. They seem shoehorned into the game just because of the Wii U and 3DS at the time had them return from the Wii generation. But now that that 'hype' has settled, I don't think they deserve their inclusion any longer. If they where more popular, I'd overlook it. But they are not. Just not worth the time.

:4cloud:: I raged when he got in. Yeah I'll admit. He was never MY pipe dream. Cool he got his chance, but it seems like Square isn't that much willing to work with Nintendo and Sakurai as much as Capcom, Namco and Sega. Which is somewhat logical. I think he'll be the Snake of Smash Switch. Plus he was intentionally created as a sort of 'Pay 2 Win' character, which I strongly disagree about. Remember the one comment where Sakurai said he made Ike intentionally slower than in his origin games and without the projectile? Cause it would cause Ike to be overpowered? WELL!!! Look wtf happened with Cloud. Just bring the trash out finally.

:4sheik:: Outside of the retro additions, Sheik is the only character not relevant and very much shoehorned into the game. Yes, Ocarina of Time was a great and legendary game. Does that warrant Sheik being her own character? I honestly don't see it. Breath of the Wild Link is likely the replacement of "regular" Link, so that means that Sakurai doesn't think that BOTW Link on his own is worth his own spot on the roster. Why would Sheik be allowed to? I think she should be outprioritised by newcomers of the Zelda franchise. And no, this is not directly Impa propaganda, but indeed, Impa would fit the bill better as a Sheikah fighter. I personally think they'll revamp Ganondorf finally, and give us whatever newcomer next. Link and Zelda will be reworked to their BOTW counterparts... and yeah, the Zelda roster has been exactly the same for THREE FULL GAMES! It's bound for a BIG CHANGE! And am hoping the time is now.

Then again, she SEEMS to be there standing in the shadows... So I'll probably eat my words yet again. But it had to be said.

:4wiifit:: Wii Fit didn't do as well on the Wii U as it did on the Wii. Her cut could be as surprising as her addition, which is why I call for it now. She was sort of shoehorned because of pure sales. And like the Mii's, it wasn't exactly received well. She's not a very popular character.

:4pacman:: Buggy moveset. Weird overall design. I just don't like his overall moveset. I'd rather vote for keeping the Ice Climbers out yet again, but I don't think that's as much of an option now does it?

EDIT: I would actually cut Sonic too, but I know that's not really possible anymore... So yeah I kinda blocked that out of my mind. If I could, I would time travel back to 2007 or so and prevent Sakurai from ever adding the damn character and just use the delay of Brawl to reinclude Mewtwo and possibly Roy again.. But yeah. I'd cut Sonic in a heart beat. In fact, I'd cut most third party characters outside of Mega Man and Ryu.

Last edited:

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
  1. :4palutena:: Everyone said her moveset would be incredible back in Sm4sh's hype..and it really isn't. It's pretty bland for a goddess, not to mention her defaults are weirdly uncreative and uninteresting. She could have been used to push more KI weaponry, but...nope. A reflect, a jump, a counter and that weak projectile as her specials.
    Sadly the comedy aspect of Uprising didn't really carry over into a fighting game, and even her codecs seem like a downgraded version of Snake's.

2. :4corrin:: Fates managed to kill all that FE hype and momentum Robin and Lucina managed to get going by being so awful every hardcore FE fan I knew had nothing but bad things to say about it. Corrin's inclusion in Smash was also very questionable riding on the coatails of the ballot hype, adding a character NO ONE was asking for(because we didn't know s/he existed yet) seemed a bit of a **** move on Sakurai's part.

3. :4lucas:: If we ever get an official Mother 3 release in the west we'll talk.

4. :4cloud:: Don't even dislike him, just he's the third party I care about the least.

And a toss up from these two:

5. :4rob:: Eh...Rob's okay, but I can't get excited over his inclusion
    :4sheik:: Until Hyrule Warriors brought them back I think Sheik would have been my number one choice for a cut.
I probably would have cut the Ice Climbers if I'm honest had Sakurai not done that already.

D

Deleted member

:4link: - Already replaced by BotW Link.
:4zelda: - Likely getting replaced by BotW Zelda anyway.
:4ganondorf: - Get Falcondorf out of here, give me a perfect middle ground between him and Canondorf (even though I doubt it'll happen).
:4mario: - Might as well replace him with a middle ground between the current Mario and Odyssey Mario.
:4marth: - Replace him with Pantsless Marth.

:p

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
:4bowserjr::4duckhunt:
Unique, but very boring.
And I even forget they are in the game sometimes.

:4tlink:
I hate playing with him, against him, I hate his voice and that he is a clone and a second Link.

:4wiifit:
Literally nobody asked for this.

:4corrin:
Ew.

Edgelord_197

Smash Cadet
:4corrin::4corrinf:
A terrible written character from a disappointing game doesn't really belong with a game with all-stars and icons. Also a bad pick for DLC
:4feroy:
He's a semi-clone of Marth and isn't really relevant
:4wiifit::4wiifitm:
Pretty much forgot that they exist
:4ryu:
I like SF, but i would be ok if they swapped them with another Capcom franchise
:4jigglypuff:
Hasn't relevant for years since they don't appear in the anime anymore

Top Bottom