• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Corkscrew

Agi

Smash Lord
Let me start by saying that I am in love with this move. The angleable trajectory, the mobility you get with it even on a whiff, the potential for following up on an upwards combo that you're -just- out of range for, even if they DI to the side, it's great. But one thing I can't quite get the hang of, those first couple frames of the hitbox. On some occasions, they send the opponent rocketing up (with the crowd cheering and all), and other times they completely gimp their recovery, flinching them and dropping them down, often to their deaths with the brief disorientation, assuming they SHOULD be caught upwards. Has anyone been able to reliably exploit this? It almost feels like it has the same potential as a shine.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I've tested it recently and I really don't see this having the gimp potential of a shine. This is just because of how un-reliable it is overall and is hard to do consistently. If you are just going to drop down and gimp you might as well use his D-Air and meteor em'. I also don't really get what your saying in that second line with "the mobility you get even when you whiff". What mobility? Are you saying that when he is in special fall he can move freely? If so, then that's due to Wario's air speed not the Corkscrew. I honesty don't see this move offensively effective because of how punishable it is.

SixSaw

Smash Journeyman
Weight based knockback is weird.

As for the gimping effect (aka jank supreme), I'm pretty certain it's caused by connecting with only a single hit from one of the two linking hitboxes present during the middle of the move. Which one though, I'm not sure.

Agi

Smash Lord
Being weight based would make sense, alright. Usually in my game I'd go for a neutral air in the same sort of situation that I'd see for this weird hitbox property (due to that unreliability,) I was just curious if it was being used as anything more than accidental jank in a niche situation. By the mobility, yeah. It's his airspeed of course, but it's just been great to escape what should have been solid punishes by weaving back towards the ledge when I miss my sweetspot, though that'll be happening less often how with the .85x airspeed.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Being weight based would make sense, alright. Usually in my game I'd go for a neutral air in the same sort of situation that I'd see for this weird hitbox property (due to that unreliability,) I was just curious if it was being used as anything more than accidental jank in a niche situation. By the mobility, yeah. It's his airspeed of course, but it's just been great to escape what should have been solid punishes by weaving back towards the ledge when I miss my sweetspot, though that'll be happening less often how with the .85x airspeed.
Okay just clarifying.

0RLY

A great conversation filler at bars and parties
Since the sdi multiplier has been reduced to 0, I don't really see a way for an opponent to *not* get trapped in the multi hits now.

The sdi multiplier was reduced to 0 because each hit supposedly deals less than 1%, and moves that deal less than 1% historically had an sdi multiplier of 0. But Wario's up-b deals 20! damage last time I fooled around in training mode. Does that mean Wario's up-b hits more than 20 times?

Agi

Smash Lord
Coming back to this after a month, I know. I've been able to recreate it through debug mode - it's just when the opponent SDIs that first hit, especially upwards. The SDI modifier does seem to be 0 on the rest of the hits, but that first one can definitely be SDIed. I'm not really sure how to check the actual numbers, could someone else verify?

EDIT: Thinking about it, it kinda makes sense - the crowd always does their enthusiastic cry when the corkscrew hits, the first hit must have crazy knockback for... some reason, which gets caught by the quick weak hits thereafter.

...because I just SDIed out with Jigglypuff, straight up, at 0%. And got Star KOed. Jeez, this may not be EXPLOITABLE like I thought at first, but it's definitely looking like something that needs to be patched. Interestingly, it doesn't seem to have any knockback growth - Jiggs flies off just as slowly at 999% as she did at 0%. Still enough knockback to get KOed from the lower Battlefield platforms though.

Last edited:

Matasd

Smash Cadet
To my knowledge its not that you SDI out its just that due to warios up b properties, you can clip people with the first tick of the up b which has a large amount of knockback. Ikes up b works the same way I believe.

Top Bottom