• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cookbook: A Falcon Compendium

Rachman

be water my friend
Compilation of Falcon Knowledge to help my fellow Dougs out

Not Match Up Specific:

this is approximately the max distance you can be from ledge and retain the ability to dash -> pivot wavedash to ledge. Otherwise, something like this may be necessary to quickly grab the ledge

this can be used to bait spacie utilts, marth side bs, sheik ftilts and the various other common anti airs usually used to stuff falcon jumping in

this beats them attempting to bair a haxdash -> dj aerial, a very common situation

do two jabs on missed tech, you can confirm the 3rd jab if they happen to sdi up, and just treat it as a normal jab reset if you don't see them clearly "fly" up

idj ff uair and idj no ff uair ALONE are powerful mix ups, without being preemptively stuffed they effectively force fox to either be close enough to punish ff/drift back and thus risk getting hit by the later timing of the no ff late uair OR be far enough to where the ff uair isn't able to be punished. This has been popularized by wizzrobe as his basic "answer" to dash dance camping, besides simple overshoots

also worth noting, ff empty land into something like a lord stomp is virtually unpunishable and is another "counter" to dd grabs or even a sheik/marth looking to dash attack/boost grab your landing

this is something not currently being explored by good players (read: besides my scrubby self)

finally, this can also be used vs people trying to wall you out as ff/noff are generally mix ups vs anti airs and an undershot jump (colloquially referred to as a "setchi jump" in this discord) is another easily set up thing here

random idj nair example i made in like 5 seconds, this is basically how it looks like

The stomp shown, dash away stomp and drift back in as the hitbox comes out. Useful for dodging moves and stomping the endlag. I like to describe it as a "dd grab in read form" to make it easier to understand

Latest DSDI %s for non-nipple stomp

Sheik - 44

Marth - 41

Peach - 42

Fox - 42

Falco - 41

Falcon - 48

If you stomp them at the end of their tech roll near the side of the platform, they won't be able to DSDI normally and will have to hold cstick down and in, so %s will be decreased.

This info is still important for tech in place though and other situations

Haven't found a similar post anywhere, even though it should exist, so I made gifs of the tech options for each top tier (minus ICs) side by side since I find it's the best way to tell the differences between the animations.

Fox -

Falco -

Marth -

Sheik -

Jigglypuff -

Falcon -

Peach -

Pikachu -
(credit to Psyam)

Keep in mind that the camera angle will affect how you see the animations, they are 3d models. Also I only did 19 frames of each of the tech options as this is for reaction techchasing (RTCing), so the end of the animations isn't really important, outside of how far they go.

Hope this helps, took me a lot of time to figure out how to make these

Last edited:

Rachman

be water my friend

how to punish someone who utilts just outside aerial range when you jump (neutral jump knee/stomp -> drift forward)

Recovery examples:

A favored tactic of wizzrobe, if you jump straight up from this distance or closer and drift in, you can horizontally sweetspot the ledge and dodge almost any attack not done on a read. It's a strong default option to mix in with your many others as this will dodge almost everything people do to cover your recovery without commitment and can even mix in fast falls to make it a mix up in and of itself.

Amsah teching/slide offs:

Basically utilizing falcon's weight combined with the asdi down mechanic to allow for insane survivability. This concept is two fold, one is teching in place or missing the tech to allow for you to "slide off" vs common moves like Fox bair and both avoid being comboed whilst avoid dying. However, at high %s this is way too risky as you'll simply go too far off stage. This is where Amsah teching comes into play. My attempt at a gfycat is here to show what amsah teching looks like.

here's a ff to ledge

threaten to create fast fall mix up by drifting at them, then if they seem like they'll respect it you can simply drift back and horizontal sweetspot ledge

also, it's got a lot of reversal potential

side b: can often side b on stage to avoid getting rinse repeated from a bad situation with up b or can even ledge cancel to cancel all lag

Fox:

We can CC a fox bair into a dash jc grab before they can shine

this is consistent even at full shield

Falcon uthrow earliest combo %s on Fox

No DI:

Uthrow regrab- 42%

Uthrow fsmash- 78%

Uthrow knee- 88%

DI down and away: (rough %s as it depends on notch position)

Uthrow regrab- ~70%

Uthrow dash SH uair- ~67%

uthrow dash SH knee- ~100%

DI away:

Uthrow dash SH uair- 110%

Uthrow dash SH knee- 133%

exact ranges aren't needed since you just go from 1 to the next

when the % is right

Escaping fox uthrow punish flowchart

0-13% (NTSC), 0-16% (PAL): Wiggle out, ASDI down tech in place grab. You land and ASDI down tech in place the usmash (it comes out before you can shield). If they go for nair you can ASDI down pseudo CC that too! Stops working after these %s as fox can usmash before you land and usmash breaks the tech in place ASDI down. If they go for a regrab then you'll either have to tech or DJ away (which usmash catches), but no fox does that at this low a %.

14-37% (NTSC) 16-36% (PAL): DJ airdodge, avoids usmash while gets caught by nair. However, nair won't knock down until 37% pre throw, so it's fine. If they punish the airdodge after a late nair then you'd have to mixup with wiggle out land or DJ which would lose to usmash, making it a 50/50. Please note that the air dodge, on a practical level, is virtually impossible. While theoretically suboptimal, we've decided that it is likely superior to simply di slightly below the down and away notch. You can either nair or usmash follow ups with this DI. In addition, if you hold the c stick up at the same time as you hold the DI with the analog stick, it gives you some extra leniency to jump out of the usmash.

37%+: Uthrow nair combos and knocks down, DI for an edgecancel or to minimize the punish

Next are another 2 example of escaping Uthrow

the low % one is just showing how double usmash is not a true combo at super low %, the other one is the patented "Setchi" DI where you hold slightly below down and away on the grey stick. I simultaneously hold up on the c stick to make it a bit easier. This makes you neither get tech chased nor comboed from an usmash from Fox, EVER

Last edited:

Rachman

be water my friend

37% dl, 30% ys, 32% bf 32% ps

please note that the jump on ps is BUFFERABLE, which is why i chose to jump straight up, and therefore you can get it every time np

Random mid percent where fox can uthrow nair and you can escape farily easily, even at center stage. Can be done closer to the ledge then in the example at lower percents.

fox can slide off vs bair at 20% with just ASDI down and grab ledge,

ASDI down and hold in, around 30%

the same stomp covers both roll and dash shffls

the same stomp beats spot dodge, utilt, and even usmash

punish done off reaction

uthrow dtilt at 59% and up is a guranteed tech chase by dash wavedashing to his landing vs fox even on perfect di away

this is about the max distance you can react to firefox realistically and still cover all angles with uair. Any further requires a read and/or option coverage

These three are for NTSC Fox up b as it is much more difficult to hit when they dip low than the PAL version

https://imgur.com/a/zYbW4

This is a good option coverage edge guard

Falco:

Last edited:

Rachman

be water my friend
If you are hit by a laser and are not CCing, you can dash back and avoid an aerial from this close and get a free DD grab

A safer anti-approach option vs laser, cc into dash back bair

example of nairing over high laser

cc nairing over multiple mid height lasers

If you CC a laser, you have time to lord stomp either a follow up low laser or aerial and not just grab. CCing is necessary because CC reduces laser stun from 12 to 7 frames. You do not need to dash back out of crouch, simply release the stick to neutral during laser stun and then dash back normally. CC dash back sh instant bair is a safer, lower reward option worth exploring especially in case they decide to approach with a following high laser but you are not comfortable calling it out

also, you can read a high laser and lord stomp over it.

https://clips.twitch.tv/SneakyBetterEndiveEagleEye

u can escape falco laser reset by trying to sdi up and then up and slightly away (which is two sdi inputs, and u only need to time one of them properly so this is much easier than just up). If you miss, you can either survival DI or dsdi into an amsah tech roll depending on stage position, %, and preference.

Falcon uthrow earliest combo %s on Falco

No DI:

Uthrow regrab- 40%

Uthrow fsmash- 72%

Uthrow knee- 85%

DI down and away: (rough %s as it depends on notch position)

Uthrow regrab- ~65%

Uthrow dash SH uair- ~65%

uthrow dash SH knee- ~105%

DI away:

Uthrow dash SH uair- 117%

Uthrow dash SH knee- 139%

Marth:

not only does it beat shield grab, it also successfully catches wd oos

this is vs very good di from the marth player from the dthrow itself

if they DI in, DJ uair

if they DI away, non FF double uair

starts working 21%

Falcon vs Marth optimal flowchart (no platforms, assumed FD):

Lower port

0-7%: Dthrow regrab on DI down and away, Regrab on no DI and instant DJ nair on DI in

7-20%: Dthrow uair on DI down and away (no combo from it though, if they DI/SDI correctly), regrab no DI and instant DJ nair DI in. Use nair techchase if you want to make it difficult for the Marth, since you get no true combo if not.

-Or go for uthrow uair to start a juggle, might be worth

(12%+: dthrow knee works on DI in, reactible at later %s)

21-26%: Dthrow uair on DI down and away, combo to grab on DI away on the uair and nairs/uairs if they DI in. Regrab or dash SH uair no DI on the dthrow and either SH knee or instant DJ nair DI in on the dthrow.

-https://gfycat.com/SmoothSilentAsiaticgreaterfreshwaterclam if they SDI and DI up and in on the uair, you can't combo to grab, so you do another uair (which they can't avoid) and combo to uair, grab or a techchase.

27%+: Dthrow uair on DI down and away, it'll force them into tumble and so if they DI down and away on the uair, you go to where they land and techchase them. Otherwise, react to their DI and combo accordingly with uairs and nairs.

-On no DI from dthrow you can dash SH uair and combo. On DI in you SH knee or instant DJ nair.

-From 23% you can dthrow knee Marth on no DI (and DI in ofc)

Uthrow knee does not combo on DI away.

Dthrow knee does not combo at any relevant %s

Higher port (4)

0-19%: Dthrow regrab on DI down and away, Regrab on no DI and instant DJ nair on DI in

(2%+: dthrow knee works on DI in, reactible at later %s)

20%: Dthrow uair on DI down and away, no combo. regrab no DI, instant DJ nair DI in. Nair techchase if they can't get around it.

21-26%: Dthrow uair on DI down and away, combo to grab on DI away on the uair and nairs/uairs if they DI in. Regrab or dash SH uair no DI on the dthrow and either SH knee or instant DJ nair DI in on the dthrow.

-https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7zikFVo8Eg if they SDI and DI up and in on the uair, you can't combo to grab, so you do another uair (which they can't avoid) and combo to uair, grab or a techchase.

27%+: Dthrow uair on DI down and away, it'll force them into tumble and so if they DI down and away on the uair, you go to where they land and techchase them. Otherwise, react to their DI and combo accordingly with uairs and nairs.

-On no DI from dthrow you can dash SH uair and combo. On DI in you SH knee or instant DJ nair.

-From 12% you can dthrow knee Marth on no DI (and DI in ofc)

78-86%: uthrow knee

0-31% D-throw. Off of dthrow you can regrab any DI away (including down and away as proven in my thread here for those curious) at 0% and previously I have reacted to DI in with sh nair. However, this is relatively hard. An easier way may be to simply nair off of dthrow and if it fails to connect you still have a more or less guaranteed (due to marths being lazy), fairly easy tech chase set up. This is very common atm.

12%- On di in you can now knee from 12%-infinity. Very useful

31-65~% Uthrow uair. Nothing much else to say. Follow di in with more aerials or a regrab into another uthrow uair. Pretty easy stuff

65-90~% Uthrow knee. Pretty free if you just believe in it honestly. Sometimes I'll go for an uair knee if I know knee won't kill but honestly just take the knee. Your edge guards against Marth are relatively free as far as Falcon edge guards go. You can dthrow knee if you think they will di in, dthrow is easier but less guaranteed often times.

~95%+ D throw knee. I go for dthrow knee here because DI away seems to make me settle for uair when I uthrow. Haven't tested this much since I'm not usually worried about any Marth I play living this long usually but it is something I should work on. Can also uthrow uair either is fine

You can CC Dash JC Grab even a perfectly spaced fair

One option vs marth dthrow is to simply di in and wiggle out and grab. He cannot do anything about it. The other one is simply a cool concept to make a dj uair safer, the wiggle is the easy and most applicable one.

Last edited:

Rachman

be water my friend

1.) can slide off fair here to ledge here 2.) even if he dashes back properly and gets the grab it's not TOO threatening 3.) on a diff map the nair would hit but u hold down and hold shield and the 2nd hit doesn't work (or u slide off to ledge for some reason if u want)

you can buffer getup roll vs Marth jab reset from 26%

so 22% pre Marth fthrow

you can hold control stick (NOT CSTICK!!!!) up to ASDI out of jab reset at 29%

or 25% pre Marth fthrow

Slight DI behind on uthrow, 50/50 mixup between jump which beats grab and loses to utilt.... and DI down and away (no jump) which beats utilt but loses to grab.

then from like 39-45%, do no DI on the uthrow

since turn utilt will set up combos then

after 45%, they can SH back uair the no DI on uthrow without having to do bull**** pivot grab, so they get a good combo (dash SH fair on Dis, SH uair on no DI) regardless

so you can get out of their stuff pre 45% basically

after that, pray for good combo DI rofl

Jigglypuff:

this catches her jump so it effectively cannot be escaped

idea is get her into knockdown and rtc with grab which leads into knee, dtilt is unsafe at lower %s but there are other ways to force knockdown

dthrow knee most of the time, be careful to outspace rest so you don't get cheesed. If unsure about the knee, go for uair, often times you can convert it into a follow up uair or knee

these are some good combo examples vs puff, both are "true" or effectively inescapable on that di

Combos both away and in di to knee

Sheik:

If Sheik double poof recoveries, just roll up onstage

if they go straight up at ledge, you have time to uair them or even knee them

if they go onstage straight down, you have time to SH backwards bair them or grab them

if they go to platforms, you can FH stomp, don't SH, nipple spike can be double stick DI'd

and then if they go straight into stage, you can stomp them

if they go just onstage and straight up, they can sometimes autocancel upon landing, so hit them out with a dash SH uair

Port 1:

0-31% - Dthrow:

DI in: Regrab

No DI: Regrab

DI away: Techchase

32-64% - Uthrow:

DI in: SH uair into a combo/techchase

No DI: SH uair into a combo/techchase

DI away: Dash SH uair into a combo/techchase.

65+% - Uthrow:

DI in: FH knee, FH DJ knee at higher %s

No DI: FH knee, FH DJ knee at higher %s

DI away: dash FH uair

Port 4:

0-31% - Dthrow:

DI in: Regrab

No DI: Regrab

DI away: Techchase

32-64% - Uthrow:

DI in: SH uair into a combo/techchase

No DI: SH uair into a combo/techchase

DI away: Dash SH uair into a combo/techchase.

65-91% - Uthrow:

DI in: FH knee

No DI: FH knee

DI away: dash FH uair

92-117% - Uthrow:

DI in: FH knee, FH DJ knee at higher %s

No DI: FH knee, FH DJ knee at higher %s

DI away: Dash FH knee

118+% - Uthrow:

DI in: FH DJ knee

No DI: FH DJ knee

DI away: dash FH uair, dash FH DJ uair at higher %s

PORT INDEPENDENT:

Uthrow dash FH stomp to cover DI away tech in place on side platform starts to work at:

31% on BF

15% on YS

22% on PS

44% on DL

0-37% Dthrow regrab/tech chase. DI in you regrab DI away you tech chase. One trick I use is buffer the dthrow no pummel the first dthrow to catch them DIing in for a free regrab on players not super aware of what to do v Falcon. This'll get me about halfway through the 0-37% range which is the part that Sheik is so hard to hit hard due to limited grab follow ups and CC. Also, she's much harder to tech chase than say Marth so generally one just goes for a side b or a read on her tech options but some try and regrab. This is considered to be inconsistent at the current time.

*24-37 Uthrow nair on no-> slight DI. Why do this when it's not guaranteed afaik? Because you can make Sheik explode if you landed something like grab at 24 uthrow nair uair regrab uthrow uair etc. I don't know my opinion on this but it's something worth knowing if you're a crazy man who doesn't wanna mess around with trying to cg/tech chase Sheik.

37-65% Uthrow uair. This is actually really hard. It is only a true combo on all DIs if you perform it relatively frame tight so acting out of uthrow frame perfectly is a massively important skill in this mu. Learn to be pretty close to perfect so you never drop it in tournament!

65-85% Uthrow knee is not a true combo on any DI I tested. HOWEVER, it beats or trades with any option I found Sheik to be able to do (catches DJ, beats/trades with frame perfect nair in every test I did on neutral di-> full in). Away DI is your bane and generally going to result in you having to accept uair or try to bait out a reaction and punish it.

85%+ Uthrow knee on no-> in DI is a true combo and away DI results in you effectively accepting uair as far as I can tell.

Rachman

be water my friend

Once you are at 33% post jab, you can simply hold up and sheik jab reset will no longer work. Not sdi, just holding the stick up. You can sdi out at 0.

https://twitter.com/overshot_nair/status/1002936363958882304

just drop shield preemptively and mash a while holding shield and down/down and in. also, sdi up or away is good vs utilt grab at low %

Captain Falcon:

you can also wiggle out of dthrow near ledge at low % and grab the ledge and falcon cannot do anything to you

Ice Climbers:

If you grab shielding Ice Climbers, Nana will go through a shield dropping animation before being able to act again, e.g shield.

This means that if you can put out something quick enough, you can hit the shield dropping animation.

Foxes often do this with fthrow, falcon can do it with uthrow.

If you immediately uthrow Popo, it'll hit Nana before she's able to shield. You can then abuse her AI and get a kill on her from it, like this:

https://youtu.be/F7WyRJrHpv8

https://youtu.be/-sq_Xd2fc14

https://youtu.be/w8dvAKvjITc

If you grab Nana though, then you're kinda ****ed.

Peach:

On no DI from Peach uthrow:

Falcon can DJ out at

82% when Peach is port 1

86% when Peach is port 4

On DI away from Peach uthrow:

Falcon can DJ out at

106% when Peach is port 1

115% when Peach is port 4

So if you get grabbed past 4/5%, DI to centre stage and take their uthrow nair at the 82/86 mark. DI straight up to avoid crossup mixups however you can DI up and in on the nair for a better recovery.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjMY3eLmBGo

1st half shows the fact that you can ASDI down pseudo CC Peach's uair for quite a while, with falcon to 30%.

2nd half shows what to do after 30%, when uair would knock you down and force a techchase. You can't techroll since that would give them time to DJ land dsmash/grab. So what you want to do is DI the uthrow to the corner of the platform, tech in place then double stick DI the uair off, by holding cstick down and control stick off the platform.

On falcon, Peach doesn't have time to DJ land grab tech in place until higher %s, so these techniques are really good to get out of her punishes.

0-14%: DTHROW, dash immediately.

-DI in: Instant DJ nair FF and combo into uair and go for a combo from there.

-No DI: Regrab

-DI away: Regrab

15-20%: DTHROW, dash immediately.

-DI in: Instant DJ nair and combo from it.

-No DI: SH uair in your dash, if they DI the uair away then regrab them.

If they DI the uair in or no DI then throw out a hitbox and punish their airdodge:

OR: Instant DJ nair the no DI and combo from it, kinda hard.

-DI away: Regrab

OR: Instant DJ nair the no DI and combo from it, kinda hard.

21-28%: DTHROW, dash immediately.

- DI in: instant DJ nair and combo from it.

- No DI: SH uair in your dash. If they DI the uair away, regrab. If they no DI then combo to uair and if they DI in, uair to force an airdodge and punish it.

- DI away: Regrab

28-53%: DTHROW, dash immediately

-DI in and No DI: SH uair, combo into more uairs.

-DI away: SH instant uair, if they DI away then combo to regrab (from approx 42% you can combo to another uair:

54-90%: DTHROW, dash immediately

-DI in and no DI: SH uair, combo into more uairs. Knee if in the position to kill

-DI away: SH instant uair, if they DI away then combo to another uair, regrab won't work any more.

90-110%: DTHROW

-Knee DI in and no DI.

-If they DI away, you can go for a dthrow knee and still be able to react and punish the airdodge:

OR: Just uair the DI away if you think they'll definitely hit the airdodge, easier to do.

110-173%: DTHROW

-If they DI in or no DI, knee if possible. If they go too high, FH uair.

-DI away: dash SH instant uair.

173-193%: DTHROW

-If they DI in or no DI, FH uair them.

-If they DI away, do a dash FH uair.

Even on di away, you can get fh uair, falling uair, knee. On di in you can get fh uair, falling uair, uair

di up and away on the dash attack, leaves you close enough to live but not close enough to combo.

Rachman

be water my friend
Luigi:

0-15% DTHROW:

- NO DI

Dash FH rising uair or dash SH uair, no combo but you can read what they do out of it.

- DI IN

Dash instant DJ nair, can combo into a FH uair on IN and NO DI. Combos into a regrab or dash SH AC uair on DI away.

- DI AWAY

Dash instant SH uair, can regrab but only if you outspace nair (or shield it if you read it and then shieldgrab).

16-19% DTHROW:

- NO DI

Dash FH rising uair or dash SH uair, no combo for the dash SH uair no DI and DI in but you can read what they do out of it while you can true combo to regrab on DI away.

- DI IN

Dash instant DJ nair, can combo into a FH uair on IN and NO DI. Combos into a regrab or dash SH AC uair on DI away.

- DI AWAY

Dash instant SH uair, can regrab but only if you outspace nair (or shield it if you read it and then shieldgrab).

20-28% DTHROW:

- NO DI

Dash SH uair, no combo on no DI and DI in but can regrab on DI away

- DI IN

Dash SH uair into more uairs on reaction to DIs

OR: Instant DJ nair FF AC into uairs

- DI AWAY

Dash SH instant AC uair, regrab on NO DI and DI AWAY, no true combo on DI IN

29-46% DTHROW:

- NO DI

Dash SH uair, combo to uairs

- DI IN

- DI AWAY

Dash SH instant AC uair, combo into uairs on no DI and DI in but regrab or uair on DI away

47-57% DTHROW:

- NO DI

- DI IN

FH knee

OR: Dash SH/FH uair, combo to uairs if possible

- DI AWAY

Dash SH instant AC uair, combo into uairs

58-65% DTHROW:

- NO DI

Dash FH knee

- DI IN

FH knee

- DI AWAY

Dash SH instant AC uair, combo into uairs if possible

66+% DTHROW:

- NO DI

Dash FH knee

- DI IN

FH knee

- DI AWAY

Dash FH uair

Pikachu:

38-48% pre throw (unstaled)

Samus:

Yoshi:

Falcon throw combos on Yoshi

Port 4

0-30%: You get no true combo or punish from this % on good DI.

If they DI dthrow away then they can DJ and airdodge out to avoid all of your punishes including an

attempted regrab. On bad DI you can dthrow regrab or dthrow techchase.

If they DI correctly, read their escape option or uthrow and bait their escape option.

31-36%: Uthrow dash FH uair on DI away.

Uthrow SH uair on DI in or no DI.

37-74%: Uthrow dash SH uair on DI away. (doesn't work at early 40s, FH uair then)

Uthrow FH or SH uair on no DI and DI in depending on %.

75-120%: Uthrow dash FH uair on DI away.

Uthrow FH uair on no DI and DI in

121-135%: Uthrow dash FH DJ uair on DI away, it doesn't true combo but breaks their DJ armor if they DJ and then

you can pseudo combo or FF and use your advantageous situation

https://youtu.be/dcy7YV-slc4

OPTIONAL:

(roughly)

80-105%: Uthrow dash FH knee on DI away, it catches regular DJ out and you can combo to uair from it while it doesn't catch DJ away out,

so you can react to that and then punish the yoshi trying to come down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8C6M1KfzOw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJtZolv5A0E

for different DIs

MalanoMan

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0183_3775_0422
Dang dude, a lot of work that went into compiling those links and writing short descriptions for everything. This is greatly appreciated!

Top Bottom