• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

the CONTROLLER thread! Button Mapping, Controller Type, etc

Napos

Smash Ace
No you don't need the sensor bar. Just leave the wiimote in a position that's completely unblocked from the wii, if the wii's on a table make sure the wiimote is above the table level too etc. You should be able to have the wiimote 2 meters away and have it work perfectly.

If you're still having problems then try using someone else's wiimote before you buy a new one.
Thanks for the help! It works just fine now

Ayane

Smash Rookie
Has anyone seen these before?

Looks to me like it's really a GameCube controller with a different button layout. See how - and + are labeled "slow" and "turbo", and Home is actually Start?
Hey guys im looking for a controller like the one described here, but the link for this doesn't work anymore. Basically im looking for a wired classic pro controller that can plug directly into the wii. Anyone know where i can find one?

DeLux

Player that used to be Lux
on the flip side of that, if anyone knows where to find a GCN that plugs into a wiimote, let me know as well :p

CHOMPY

Sinbad: King of Sindria
NNID
Chompy621
Now that I am playing the Classic Controller on the Wii U.

Do you guys have any recommendations of what buttons I should map?

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Using tapjump for ground jumping is not a good idea as it makes shorthopping unnecessarily hard. Personally I almost always use tapjump for fullhopping and for certain specific situation like Ganons thunderstomping.

Sar

Smash Journeyman
Thanks Lzr.
Admittedly, it is harder to do shorthops. But I've tried switching over to x/y for shorthops and i have just as much trouble shorthopping using the buttons. In fact, since I've been tap-jumping for so long it isn't really a problem because I'm so used to it. If there aren't any really bad setbacks then I probably won't change my ways.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
Adjusting to button changes is only a matter of an hour or two. I would suggest to not shorthop with the control stick. Other than that it's perfectly fine. Just learn to do a sliding input with Y and you'll never screw up shorthop again.

-LzR-

Smash Hero
I've used Z to grab for 5 years. Yesterday I decided to start using X for grab. Took me almost 15 minutes to learn. Just adapt.

infiniteV115

Smash Hero
If tap jump isn't giving you any problems then keep it on. I turned off tap jump because I found it difficult to do quick utilts with them, especially quick utilts after a shield/powershield.

Tosicamir

Smash Rookie
yes, classic controllers are worth getting. it's definitely not difficult to transition from the gc to the cc, even if you've been playing smash since melee. The one thing i recommend all cc converts to do is change special from b to y and attack from a to b (and i guess jump from y to a?), to emulate the gc/n64 controller map. I've met people who went from "i cant play with the cc, my moves are coming out wrong, my fingers are betraying me" to "sweet, the cc is awesome" with just that simple change.
If this was mentioned earlier by someone earlier than page 6 in this thread, sorry if I missed it...
But, OMG! I've been using the CC for a while now and lamenting on how I couldn't get quite comfortable with it... now I feel like it is second nature... now if only I can remember to select my name before brawls... lol!
I also changed the R to grab, and the ZL/ZR to jump, for fluidity

Icemanx5746

Smash Apprentice
I'm a Marth main, I play with tap jump off. I have Y set to grab, Z set to attack, and R set to special (For up b OoS).

I've found I have troubles doing retreating fair immediately off the ground when facing right. I can do it facing left because I can just slide my finger off the x button and then slide it across the controller to the c stick, whereas when facing right I have to take my hand off the x button making the fair come out a little slower.

This is important because that means I'm unable to do some things when facing right, like pick up bananas with retreating fair, or hit certain characters with retreating fair out of shield.

Am I just not hitting the c stick fast enough? Or am I going to have to map another button to jump? I've tried using R to jump and it feels really awkward and uncomfortable. I know there are other Marths that play with tap jump off, how do they deal with this?

Ghostbone

Smash Master
Using Z/R to jump will feel really unnatural for a while but you get used to it and it does help in certain situations (like for Up-b OoS without tap jump)

The Revolutionary Cafe

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CafeRevolution
3DS FC
2766-9632-2051
Switch FC
5665-2697-0979
I use THIS to play SSBB with a GCN controller in HD on my Wii U and usually have tap jump set off to make tilts easier to pull off.

Naroghin

Smash Ace
NNID
Naroghin
I use the Classic Controller Pro and have the buttons all switched around to be more like a GC controller. A and X are jump, Y is special, B is attack, Lz (L on a GCc) is shield, Rz is Attack (for bomb smashes), L (extra button, yay!) is set to grab, as is R (where Z is on the GCc). I have been contemplating changing the L to jump so I can better time Link's Zair (Lindex-Rindex is so much easier to do at nearly the same time than Rthumb-Rindex).

vegeta18

Smash Journeyman
Here is how i have been mapping my gamecube controller:
a-attack
b- special
x- grab (no need for 2 jump buttons, z is awkward to press)
y- jump
z- grab
c-stick- smash( i use for aerials as well, atk with c-stick and move with analog)
R- sheild
L- grab( i was thinking of trying this , to make charged smashes easier i could do L + joystick instead of timing it with A or Z. COuld also make doin IC up smash from grab easier)
dpad- grab,atk and smash(unless you are going for taunt gimps they are useless, with a setup like this you can spam more buttons to get out of grabs , yoshi egg, lucas freeze, and other things quicker)

Jackson

Smash Lord
A bunch of people will dislike this, but I use the Y button to grab. It feels much more easy and nicer to press than Z for me. I use tap jump as Marth, because I'm used to it and so I can Dolphin Slash out of shield. I occasionally use X to jump also, so i dont need Y. Using it to grab just works in my case.

Top Bottom