• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Conduit (FC's First Page)

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
That's why people shouldn't buy a from what they see reviewers say.
Reviewers can be anyone, even fanboys.
(I think gameinfromer proves that.)

It's best for gamers to be their own game reviewer.
That would defeat the point of using a reviewer in the first place.

To review it, I would need to buy or rent the game. But the point of a review is to help me decide whether I should buy/rent a game or not.

derek.haines

Smash Ace
No more Heroes was a good 3rd party Wii game.
The problem with No More Heroes, as they pointed out, was that it was actually two games: A very, very fun arcade hack and slash, and a totally lame, broken open-world hub. As much as I loved NMH, I felt the score they gave it was fair considering that fact.

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
That would defeat the point of using a reviewer in the first place.

To review it, I would need to buy or rent the game. But the point of a review is to help me decide whether I should buy/rent a game or not.
Reviews seem kinda pointless to me IMO.
So I wouldn't really care if all game reviewers was to stop reviewing games for now on.
Not a problem for me.

@derek: The game got mixed reviews, a lot of people had their own opinions on the game.
So I don't know what review you are talking about.
Can you tell me?

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Reviews seem kinda pointless to me IMO.
So I wouldn't really care if all game reviewers was to stop reviewing games for now on.
Not a problem for me.
Maybe not for you, but for me it might be a problem.

I need a system by which I can tell a good game from a bad game without having to pay for it. I also need a system that tells me what games are exceptional. How would I have known to get Metroid Prime 3 without the review system? I didn't know anything about the Prime series before I noticed it got a 90 on metacritic, and I wasn't that interested in FPS's at the time.

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
Maybe not for you, but for me it might be a problem.

I need a system by which I can tell a good game from a bad game without having to pay for it. I also need a system that tells me what games are exceptional. How would I have known to get Metroid Prime 3 without the review system? I didn't know anything about the Prime series before I noticed it got a 90 on metacritic, and I wasn't that interested in FPS's at the time.
......What you are looking for is a gameplay video, not a game review.......

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Ummmm?
What's a CGI?
In addition to real-time computer graphics, many games use pre-rendered cut-scenes, which very typically do not resemble in-game graphics at all. CGI usually refers to the part of the game that uses pre-rendered images rather than the game's engine, usually in cut-scenes.

Not all cut-scenes are CGI though; for example, Zelda almost never uses pre-rendered cut scenes - they are almost allways done using the in-game engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-generated_imagery

derek.haines

Smash Ace
@derek: The game got mixed reviews, a lot of people had their own opinions on the game.
So I don't know what review you are talking about.
Can you tell me?
I was specifically speaking about the IGN review, since that was what I'd mentioned shortly before. I go to IGN for most of my news and reviews, mostly due to it's convenience and oft-funny podcasts.

Reviews as a whole are an important part of any product's creation and marketing. Good ones can be used further to highlight the good points, and bad ones can be used make changes to future versions of the product. Are reviews always good? Not by a long shot. Are they going away? Probably not ever, but I think you're going to start seeing alot less emphasis on major, "big name" reviews and more emphasis on geurilla reviews from individual consumers.

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
In addition to real-time computer graphics, many games use pre-rendered cut-scenes, which very typically do not resemble in-game graphics at all. CGI usually refers to the part of the game that uses pre-rendered images rather than the game's engine, usually in cut-scenes.

Not all cut-scenes are CGI though; for example, Zelda almost never uses pre-rendered cut scenes - they are almost allways done using the in-game engine.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computer-generated_imagery
You mean like a cut-scene? If so, it's not the same as a gameplay video.
(If that's what you mean.)

@derke: IGN? So, you don't thing the game was all that good?
(Not that I'm saying you don't. Just a question.)

As for the point of reviews, I don't really see them.
All I need to replace a review is a gameplay video, info on the game and maybe (If I really wanted.) three video parts of a walkthrough.
I never said reviews would end, I just said I wouldn't care if they did.

Anyway, if you like reviews that's fine by me.
We all have our own opinions on things. (Much like reviewers.)

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
If you guys want an ign rating range it is probably in the 8s. Matt Cassamasina (IGN Nintendo editor in chief) who is in charge of the conduit review said in a podcast that he had finished the conduit singleplayer. When asked in guest mail whether tiger woods 10 (rated 9) or the conduit was better, he said tiger woods, but not bby that much, the conduit just had a few minor problems like dips in the frames per second. He said it would be difficult to chose though. He hadn't yet tried the multiplayer either.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
If you guys want an ign rating range it is probably in the 8s. Matt Cassamasina (IGN Nintendo editor in chief) who is in charge of the conduit review said in a podcast that he had finished the conduit singleplayer. When asked in guest mail whether tiger woods 10 (rated 9) or the conduit was better, he said tiger woods, but not bby that much, the conduit just had a few minor problems like dips in the frames per second. He said it would be difficult to chose though. He hadn't yet tried the multiplayer either.
Or, you could wait a few hours for the review to be up. He also mentioned that he was just about done reviewing the conduit, and only had to go over the multiplayer portion. This was wednesday of last week, so it should be up in a couple hours.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Matt Cassamasina is so full of ****.
I don't even need to read his review to know already what his gripes are.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Matt Cassamasina is so full of ****.
I don't even need to read his review to know already what his gripes are.
I don't know about that, I trust Matt Cassamasina over a lot of the reviewers on other sites.
He gripes about things others don't but, as minor as they are, they still have an affect o the game. And him recognizing them usually means a more truthful review.

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I don't know about that, I trust Matt Cassamasina over a lot of the reviewers on other sites.
He gripes about things others don't but, as minor as they are, they still have an affect o the game. And him recognizing them usually means a more truthful review.
Yet when it came to TP and Corruption, we all knew the 9.5 was coming.

TP deserved a 9.2 at best

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
TRAILERS. Not enough full levels and such. That is what I look for before buying a game.

At least, that's what I usually do.
At E3, High Voltage demoed a full multiplayer match to the crowd: http://handheldwii.wordpress.com/2009/06/16/1029753/

I also found this developer walkthrough: http://g4tv.com/videos/38784/The-Conduit-E3-2009-Developer-Walkthrough/

Twilight Princess is considered by many (especially me) to be the best Legend of Zelda of all time. It is absolutely the second best wii game (right behind Super Mario Galaxy), if not the very best. And Metroid Prime 3 is not only the best FPS on the wii, but considering the controls, it is a strong contender for the best single player FPS campaign ever created (although Portal may have it beat).

Although a 0.3 difference in score hardly seems significant to me.

...What's taking so long? He said in the podcast he was finished other than the multiplayer, which he said would be done with Sega last week.

Although, to be honest, I'm usually only interested in the lowest score for the worst games. They always cheer me up. Also, the highest scores for the best games are always fun to read, because of the sheer awe and sense of perspective the reviewer conveys.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord

Focusing on facts of features alone (and even that can still be very opinionated) Twilight princess had an unbelievably large map, immense dungeons, a wealth of items, some of which were newly introduced. And th feel of the game is only bested by oot imo.

I think the score he gave it was fine. He gets in a range of about 1.0 (ign scoring, it would be 10 if it were out of 100) of what the majority of players think. I check out other reviews of course, but I trust his pretty well (most of the time) I think he'll review the conduit pretty fairly.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
conduit ign review up, as of now the link to the review isn't working.

THE CONDUIT RECEIVES N 8.6 on IGN

Darkslash

Smash Master
I'm glad for the score it received. Its not to high and not too low. If it was too high well expect a Halo like sequel. It would also get into the heads of the Devs thinking that they are the "****.

Too low would of crippled the Morale of the Devs horribly. 8.6 is a fine score. I just hope it sells well enough.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
Yea, tons of people are on the message boards all over posting about how that's horrible, and how 360 fps's are so much better (some of which are, I admit) and I lol'd when one dude finally said Go where someone actually cares about what you are saying
There was one guy who gave it a bad review using the username WIISUCKSLOL. Obviously not a troll, and clearly not trying to irritate fans of a game no one owns simply to get a reaction out of people. But all the other (user) reviews are obviously the other extreme.

I need to look around more I guess.

Sir Bedevere

Smash Lord
IGN Review said:
The bad news is that you'll still need to trade friend codes with your buddies before you can play them
NINTENDOOOO! *falls in despair*

So yeah, I'm most likely getting this game, pretty excited. Is it coming out tomorrow, or is June 23 just the day it ships?

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
IT ships tomorrow and will arrive at stores (except wal-mart, which should have it by tomorrow) the day after. And it is the best FPS on the console, Cassamasina even going as far to say it had the best FPS controls on ANY console.

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
IT ships tomorrow and will arrive at stores (except wal-mart, which should have it by tomorrow) the day after. And it is the best FPS on the console, Cassamasina even going as far to say it had the best FPS controls on ANY console.
Which doesn't make it the best FPS on any console, unfortunately.

Because no one actually has it, no one can make an accurate judgement call. If you want an IR controlled shooter though, especially a multiplayer one, most the reviews state that there is no better game. If you have played a lot of FPS's before, controls don't matter to you, and have a PS3 or an Xbox 360, the IGN review stated that there are better alternatives on the Xbox 360.

Naturally, I'm getting it though because I don't think there are any other IR multiplayer FPS's with fully customizable control schemes and comparable graphics. Controls and multiplayer are really important to me, in spite of being a Halo fan as well.

Brawler1432

Smash Lord
Which doesn't make it the best FPS on any console, unfortunately.

Because no one actually has it, no one can make an accurate judgement call. If you want an IR controlled shooter though, especially a multiplayer one, most the reviews state that there is no better game. If you have played a lot of FPS's before, controls don't matter to you, and have a PS3 or an Xbox 360, the IGN review stated that there are better alternatives on the Xbox 360.

Naturally, I'm getting it though because I don't think there are any other IR multiplayer FPS's with fully customizable control schemes and comparable graphics. Controls and multiplayer are really important to me, in spite of being a Halo fan as well.
WHAT!!!!! To me a FPS is worthless without good gameplay. The 360 has plenty of games that best the conduit in so many ways, but the fact that is said to be the best feeling FPS is reason alone to buy it over, say Cod WaW

The Halloween Captain

Smash Master
WHAT!!!!! To me a FPS is worthless without good gameplay. The 360 has plenty of games that best the conduit in so many ways, but the fact that is said to be the best feeling FPS is reason alone to buy it over, say Cod WaW
I agree, the best FPS for me is the one with the best controls coupled with online multiplayer.

The Conduit is the best FPS for me.

The Conduit may not be the best FPS for someone else. Someone who plays way more console FPS's than me and has no problems picking up the controls for Halo, Call of Duty, and Killzone and switching between the three.

Incidently, vehicles in Halo feel awesome. The series is let down by it's control scheme alone, and really does a good job of compensating for the inherent problems with dual analogue. It still took me three months to stop being aweful at multiplayer though, and skills at Halo DO NOT transfer over to skills at CoD4: Modern Warfare. In fact, the reason I'm so excited about The Conduit is that the learning curve on FPS's on the other two systems are utterly insane; no other genre I have ever played has presented such a challenge to learn, and in all the other genres the skills learned in one game transfer over to another - but that is not my experience with FPS's.

RDK

Smash Hero
I really hope this isn't a big let-down; I have a 360 and am a major fan of FPS's, but I have been looking forward to this for a long time because the Wiimote and Nunchuk are useless for basically anything except shooters, and in that department they really shine. The Wii's control system for COD WaW kicks the 360 and the PS3 in the pants.

That being said, I have obtained a copy of this (don't ask how), and can't wait to play it. To all of those who plan on pirating this, or are a fan of FPS's, or maybe you just have a passing interest in it, please put some money towards buying it. It lets High Voltage and other 3rd party developers know that there's a market for games like this on the Wii, and I think I speak for everyone when I say that I'm tired of shovelware bull****. If Nintendo wants to be taken seriously it needs to start encouraging serious play. If it lives up to its hype, The Conduit is a step in that direction.

RDK

Smash Hero
Edit: Just an FYI; apparently this got an 8.6 on IGN.

Edit Edit: **** Smashboards lag.

Zoids-Raven

Smash Apprentice
Did I miss something?
Anyway, bad news. (For me)
I'm not gettng the conduit when it ships.
I have to wait 5-12 days after it ships. Sucks for me.....

@Brawler: That's just your opinion.

Top Bottom