• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Comprehensive Snake Down Throw "Techchase" Guide

cisyphus

Smash Ace
For the spreadsheet version of this, follow this link and select the "Down Throw Techchase" Tab at the bottom. Regrabs on rolls are ranked as A, B, C, D, and F to indicate how easily one can do it based on frame windows and requirements of advanced tech. D is usually reserved for rolls that require a boost grab, C a JC grab or boost grab, and A and B dash grab alone suffices. I figured this out a little bit into testing so some of the information is probably wrong at present. I'll fix it later on.

Another aspect of my goal of cataloging every possible aspect of Snake's gameplay so that one can fully master and understand the character at the moveset knowledge level, which translates into proper matchup experience and aides in learning your punish game inside and out. Today I'm announcing the launch of what proves to be one of the most effective punish trees in Snake's arsenal: his down throw pseudo-techchase. Some background info:

1. Down throw puts opponents directly in front of Snake
a. This means that it cannot be DI'd, eliminating the need to wavedash or dashdance to position oneself to punish​
2. Down throw eliminates three options that normally must be covered by throws
a. To elaborate, Kirby and Charizard have similar down throws, but the opponent can tech these
i. the ability to tech forces 3 additional options to be covered, the tech in place and two tech roll.​
3. Down throw does 14% in damage unstaled. That's one of the most damaging throws in the game.
So even without getting a follow-up, that's 14% you get for just grabbing someone​
4. Down throw has numerous setups, both stage dependent and not, which create limitations on an opponent's options
a. Platforms are the #1 best for this, as it limits every character's roll length considerably
b. mines also are great in that it eliminates one roll option somewhat
i. Although one must consider that the mine is the better option, most opponents think otherwise​
c. A well-placed C4 can serve much the same function as a mine, but requires remote detonation
d. Ledges also limit certain options from the opponent, particularly roll away, making the techchase possible on every stage against every character.​
5. Snake is able to manipulate the horizontal position of a grab to ensure that proper spacing is available at all times
a. This is done through use of the left and right nodes of the D-Pad set to side taunt.
i. This is the only way to do this!! You MUST have this control configuration
ii. I personally turn off the up and down taunts on my controls to limit bad inputs due to the poor design of the Gamecube controller D-Pad.​
6. Snake's grab reaches very far, and his boost grab is rather good as well, meaning his reach for grabs is applicable in a lot of situations.
7. Snake's up-throw is often an extremely good launcher, but certain (floaty) characters escape these combos very early.
8. I'm assuming a 10 frame reaction time to recognize which direction an opponent is rolling. This might be a bit high from the research I've done, but we'll roll with it for now. I'm very precise with everything I've included so it comes down to a matter of adding frames.

So, to elaborate further on these points, here is your basic reactionary techchase coverage tree:
1. Getup Attack, depending on the character, is generally the safest option. Snake is able to crouch under some of these. The rest you will need to shield and punish. (shield DI and powershield will help a lot here!)
2. Roll Away, depending on the character, is the safest option. There are some characters that Snake plainly cannot catch up to on reaction because their techroll is soooo long. Those will be noted below
3. Doing Nothing is a really tricky mixup, but most characters can be punished by f-tilt, which is too fast of a move to be reacted to, and then likely eat a jab reset, u-tilt, or what have you.
4. Stand is another tricky mixup, but can easily be regrabbed if you prepare for it.
5. Roll In can always be covered on reaction, although some characters demand a tighter window than others—those with the long roll away.

Now, the goal here is to continuously get regrabs, as the damage built up and the relative security of getting a regrab is extremely high compared to other techchases. So, your reactions to the above will be:
1. Getup Attack, shield into regrab
2. Roll Away, chase down into regrab, or tranq the roll if it's too fast
3. Doing Nothing, Use the proper reset, C4, etc. (Outlined below on a character-by-character basis)
4. Stand, Regrab on reaction. Every Stand has approximately the same frame data, but I'll note the unique cases. I'll also note the fastest reaction each character has to prevent a regrab.
5. Roll In, Regrab on reaction

So without further ado, here are the character-specific trees to cover these options:
Getup Attack: Hitboxes come out Frame 18-19, who becomes vulnerable frame 25 (25 frame lenience)
Roll Away: Boost Grab grants 1 extra frame of coverage over JC Grab, with 5 and 4 frames respectively.
Doing Nothing: Bowser can be jabbed, f-tilted, and tranq'd, in order of quickness.
Stand: Standard frame data, can upB to get invincibility on frame 1, making this a 7 frame window.
Roll In: Bowser has an extra 8 frames of invincibility on this roll, but you can cover his 8 frames of endlag with turnaround grab.
Getup Attack: Hitboxes come out on frame 18-19 and again on frame 28-29. (20 frame lenience)
Roll Away: Falcon is invulnerable from frames 1-24 of 35. Boost grab on frame 19 catches Falcon on frame 32 at the earliest whereas JC grab catches falcon at frame 33 at the earliest. These are 3 and 2 frame windows respectively.
Doing Nothing: You have to wait Falcon out, as none of your fast options hit him. Cypher can set up a combo string.
Stand: Standard frame data, and can spotdodge to get invincibility on frame 3, making this a 9 frame window.
Roll In: Look for Falcon's feet to flip above his head and you'll be able to turnaround dash grab him with ease. a perfect turnaround grab will actually whiff.
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack: Hitboxes are active 27-28, after which Dedede becomes vulnerable. 20 frame window.
Roll Away: Snake is able to cover Dedede's first vulnerable frame with a JC grab. USE IT.
Doing Nothing: Jab, f-tilt, and tranq all work.
Stand: Standard frame data and can spotdodge to get invincibility on frame 2, making this an 8 frame window
Roll In: A turnaround grab catches him at any point of his vulnerability. You even have time to dash ahead of him and turnaround grab to keep your orientation the same.
Getup Attack: Hitboxes at 16-17, with a 23 frame window of vulnerability. Shield Grab it.
Roll Away: Boost grab covers two frames more than JC grab. Use it.
Doing Nothing: Wait it out. Cypher can start a combo string.
Stand: Standard frame data and can spotdodge to get invincibility on frame 2, making this an 8 frame window.
Roll In: Turnaround dash grab has more range than turnaround grab and still catches Diddy on his first vulnerable frame.
Getup Attack
Roll Away:
Doing Nothing:
Stand: An extra invincible frame and a frame 2 spotdodge makes this a 7 frame window. Can also UpB to get invincibility AND hitboxes on frame 3.
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand: Frame 2 spotdodge for an 8 frame which beats grab armor. Shine comes out for a 7th frame window, but grab beats hitboxes.
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand: Frame 2 spotdodge for an 8 frame which beats grab armor. Shine comes out for a 7th frame window, but grab beats hitboxes.
Roll In
Getup Attack: Game & Watch's getup attack hits in front first, so the hit you worry about is frame 33-34, after which G&W is vulnerable (25 frame lenience).
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand: G&W has one less invincibility frame and frame 2 spotdodge makes this a 9 frame window. Up B has a frame 1 hitbox but grab armor beats this.
Roll In
Getup Attack: This can be crouched, so just wait for the frame 19-20 and 28-29 hitboxes and then grab (20 frame lenience).
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand: Ice Climbers' stand is vulnerable 2 frames earlier.
Roll In
Getup Attack: Frames 16-17 hit behind Ike, who becomes vulnerable at frame 25 (25 frame lenience)
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack: Hitboxes come out frame 19-20, who becomes vulnerable at frame 25 (25 frame lenience)
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack: Hitbox comes out frame 28 and Link becomes vulnerable at 30 of 49, making this a 19 frame window.
Roll Away: Requires a read. Reaction tranq fails. Do not attempt unless you've limited its distance in some way.
Doing Nothing: F-tilt is your only quick option for a reset. Cypher can set up a combo string.
Stand: Standard frame data + frame 2 spotdodge makes this an 8 frame window
Roll In: This roll is long for a ridiculous timespace, leaving only 4 vulnerable frames. It's possible, but difficult.
Getup Attack: Hitboxes active on frames 16-17, invincible from 1-22 of 49. 28 frame window.
Roll Away: Requires a read. Reaction tranq fails. Do not attempt unless you've limited its distance in some way.
Doing Nothing: None of the fast options hit. Wait it out or Cypher to start a combo string.
Stand: Standard frame data and a frame 2 spotdodge make this an 8 frame window.
Roll In: Very easy to react to. A reactionary pivot grab will catch this.
Getup Attack: Hitboxes active on frames 20-21, invincible from 1-26 of 49. 23 frame window.
Roll Away: Easily covered by JC grab.
Doing Nothing: Lucas can be f-tilted.
Stand: Standard frame data and a frame 2 spotdodge make this an 8 frame window.
Roll In: a simple turnaround grab covers this.
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In
Getup Attack
Roll Away
Doing Nothing
Stand
Roll In

Last edited:

LupinX

Smash Journeyman
can you dashdance when you first d-throw them to pressure the opponant on moves?

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Checklist:
ALL DONE

4/20 Update:
Added DK, Falco, Fox, G&W, Ganon, Ike, Kirby, Link, Lucario, and Lucas data to the spreadsheet, and redesigned the spreadsheet so that I can just update this thread in bulk once I get all of the data finished. Basically any instance vs. Back Roll that says to Turn Grab means that you can cover the first frame of vulnerability with a turn grab, so you should turn grab, lol. Also added columns which specify how much frame (dis)advantage JC and Boost grab have against Forward Rolls so I can easily tell which ones are best to use, and so I'll have a clear numerical value to assign when deciding which characters are best to down throw techchase against.

As an aside, an interesting thing to consider is that boost grab can only be done after 4 frames of dashing (to transition into "run" so that you dash attack instead of f-smash), so more often than not JC grab is better than boost grab. The only situation is with characters with very long rolls where Boost grab's added range helps it edge out ever so slightly.

4/21 Update:
Added the frame data for Mario, Marth, Mewtwo, Roy, Samus, Snake, and Squirtle. Some amazing discoveries including Snake having the best no-tech back roll in the game based on invincibility and distance. His tech rolls also aren't terribly good due to early invincibility endings. Start missing techs guys ;) Funny enough I now have exactly 4 characters in each tier, which means I'm about halfway done with the guide!

4/22 Update:
Finished the entire spreadsheet! Will be integrating it into the first post shortly. I do need to point out Zero Suit Samus, though, as she's an incredibly bizarre case of frame data: she's the only character who has a split in the grab-able frames. This occurs in from frame 29 to frame 32 when Snake lags by 10 frames and attempts to boost grab. For this reason, I'm considering her very difficult (D) to techchase on reaction.

Here are some quick and dirty groupings to quickly glance at and associate with each other:

A: :charizard::dedede::gw::jigglypuff::kirby2::olimar::rob::sonic::squirtle::toonlink:
B: :diddy::fox::marth::metaknight::ness2::pikachu2::pit::roypm::samus2::wario:
C: :bowser2::dk2::ganondorf::lucas::sheik::yoshi2:
D: :falcon::falco::popo::ivysaur::lucario::mario2::peach::wolf::zerosuitsamus:
F: :ike::link2::luigi2::mewtwopm::snake::zelda:

1: :falcon::metaknight::snake::toonlink: [68.57%]
2: :ganondorf: [65.71%]
3: :charizard::dedede::diddy::ike::lucario::lucas::ness2::olimar::zerosuitsamus: [62.86%]
4: :popo::ivysaur::luigi2::mario2::mewtwopm::rob::sonic::squirtle::wario: [60.00%]
5: :gw::zelda: [57.14%]
6: :bowser2::dk2::falco::jigglypuff::link2::peach::sheik::wolf::yoshi2: [54.29%]
7: :kirby2: [51.43%]
8: :pikachu2::pit::samus2: [40.00%]
9: :marth::roypm:[40.00%] (Vulnerable frames 1-5)

1: :link2::metaknight::snake::toonlink: [88.57%]
2: :bowser2: [77.14%]
3: :dk2::yoshi2: [68.57%]
4: :dedede::diddy::popo::ike::ivysaur::lucario::lucas::luigi2::mario2::mewtwopm::ness2::olimar::sheik::sonic::squirtle::zerosuitsamus: [62.86%]
5: :jigglypuff::rob::wario: [60.00%]
6: :falco::fox::gw::ganondorf::kirby2::pit::samus2::wolf::zelda: [57.14%]
7: :falcon::charizard::marth::peach::pikachu2::roypm: [54.28%]

Back then front:
:bowser2::diddy::dk2::popo::ike::jigglypuff::kirby2::lucario::lucas::luigi2::mario2:
:marth::metaknight::ness2::peach::olimar::roypm::pikachu2::pit::snake::zelda:

Both sides:
:falcon::mewtwopm::rob::zerosuitsamus:
Subgroup: :ganondorf::samus2: [Duckable]

Front then back:
:charizard::dedede::falco::fox::gw::ivysaur::link2:
:sheik::sonic::squirtle::toonlink::wario::wolf::yoshi2:

Last edited:

Arrow (Kyle)

Smash Apprentice
Are those C4 numbers based off no DI? What stage was used for testing it? Was the person stuck SDI at all? All factors that need to be added in. Falcon at 113% seems questionable.

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
Huh. Somehow I overlooked this when it was first posted. Really high-quality information dude, I appreciate it.

As an additional note, Snake's DACUS is an excellent option for covering roll away options. Obviously it starts a different combo/techchase tree, but it's an important tool to have at the ready when your opponent has enough space to freely roll out of regrab-on-reaction range.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
^^I actually meant to test that as well—I found dash attack to be rather ineffective iirc, and tranq is basically useless as well unless you're wanting a fast KO on Kirby or something. A project for one of my many free days.

Last edited:

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
I'm really glad someone who thinks the way I do is writing guides for snake, it's really heplful because i'm the type of player who perfers to have every single piece of info like a catalog in my head of what to do.

cisyphus

Smash Ace
Alright, I finally looked into the DACUS coverage on tech roll away and... it's fantastic. Definitely use it. It covers literally every character with a wider margin of error than the grab options. I would advise against using it unless you have a KO setup for it (mine on a platform, FFer near ledge to get the fair spike, C4, etc) but it is definitely very strong overall.

Last edited:

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
Alright, I finally looked into the DACUS coverage on tech roll away and... it's fantastic. Definitely use it. It covers literally every character with a wider margin of error than the grab options. I would advise against using it unless you have a KO setup for it (mine on a platform, FFer near ledge to get the fair spike, C4, etc) but it is definitely very strong overall.
does it work on the characters' forward rolls that you can't regrab?

KACHOW!!!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
T.M.Paunch
3DS FC
2122-6416-3741
How do I boost grab? I can't figure it out and the instructions seem ambiguous because "replace the attack of your dacus" doesn't make sense to me because the dacus seems like almost all one motion, or at least I think of it that way in my head. Like, could someone explain the inputs of a boost grab as snake to me?

Sickolas

Smash Apprentice
How do I boost grab? I can't figure it out and the instructions seem ambiguous because "replace the attack of your dacus" doesn't make sense to me because the dacus seems like almost all one motion, or at least I think of it that way in my head. Like, could someone explain the inputs of a boost grab as snake to me?
You dash attack, and then you press grab within 3 frames. The later you press it the further you go.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
So, if the left and right d-pad are set to taunt it can manipulate your horizontal position? How does this work? Thanks for this extensive guide.

Last edited:

FlashingFire

Smash Journeyman
Writing Team
So, if the left and right d-pad are set to taunt it can manipulate your horizontal position? How does this work? Thanks for this extensive guide.
Just press left or right on the D-pad while you have the opponent grabbed.

Top Bottom