• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Community Roster Voting Game (Phase 2 starts today! Vote for your favorite IP!)

How many characters should our community roster have?

• less than 40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 40-45

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 45-50

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • 50-55

Votes: 2 5.1%
  • 55-60

Votes: 3 7.7%
  • 60-65

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • 65-70

Votes: 14 35.9%
  • 70-75

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • 75-80

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • more than 80

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
So I was looking through my computer the other day and found a nice game that I had posted in another forum in 2013. And since we are all basically holding our breaths until the next snippet of info on the game, why not shorten the time with a llittle game?

Basically, it was a community game where the community was in a position of power at Nintendo and could decide the roster for the upcoming Smash Bros. The game had several phases which i will explain right now.

Phase 1: Voting on the number of characters
The first step was to vote on the number of characters the final game should have (since the game started before DLC was even a thing i suggest we keep the number for the release roster).

Phase 2 (running right now): Voting on number of character an IP gets
In the next phase, everyone had five votes and had to give them to different IPs. The number of votes later decided, which IP would get how many characters of that IP were to be in the final roster. The amount of characters an IP would get was decided by the "Largest Remainder Method".

With this method you take the amount of votes an IP got and divide this by the total votes. With that you get a value called qouta. This qouta is then rounded off and that is the amount of places an IP gets in the first run. In the second run, you then give extra places to IPs with the hightest remainder. If two IPs have the same remainder, the result will be decided by chance.

Basically, what this means is that if there are for example ten roster places and the voting results were like this:

Mario: 10
Zelda: 5
Metroid: 4
Kirby: 3

Total votes: 22

With theses votes the qoutas would look like this:
Mario 4.5455
Zelda 1.8182
Metroid 2.2727
Kirby 1.3636

This means Mario gets 4 places, Zelda and Kirby get 1 each and Metroid gets 2 in the first run. This makes 8 places in total so there are 2 more to give out. Since the remainders of Mario's and Zelda's qouta are the highest ones, each IP gets another place so the result would be:

Mario: 5 characters
Zelda: 2 characters
Metroid: 2 characters
Kirby: 1 character

This is a fairly easy example without the need of deciding by chance but I hope it explains what I'm up to.

Phase 3: Nominating characters for an IP
Since the places for each IP are now distributed, it is time to nominate characters for the IPs. I do not know how this phase went last time anymore so I will come up with something. The idea will be that each character needs a certain amount of nominations to get to the final selection but the details will follow!

Phase 4: Voting for the nominated characters to make the cut
In the last phase we will finally decide which of the nominated characters will make it into our roster. The idea here is that the characters with the most votes will make it into the roster.

Since there are many IPs which can get votes I would suggest to pack some of them together. My suggestions for the IPs would be:
Mario
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Wario
Zelda
Pokemon
Kirby
Metroid
Fire Emblem
Star Fox
F-Zero
Mother/Earthbound
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade Chronicles
Retro (everything up until the 64 era without a respective IP)
Modern (everything from the Gamecube era without a respective IP)
3rd Party
Indie (basically every character which is not from a big game company like SEGA, Capcom etc.)

If anyone has problems with some of the bigger IPs being summarized in one IP please let me know. The list of IP is not final and just a suggestion!

I think with the game explained we can start with the first phase and vote on how many characters our roster should have. I have posted a poll for this occasion with round about numbers.

Hopefully many of you will be participating so we will get a good picture of what we as a community really want from a Smash Bros roster!

PS: Sorry for my clunky English. Can't remember when I had to write that much text in English.

EDIT 1
Since Al-kīmiyā' Al-kīmiyā' asked how the final number will be calculated in phase 1:

My idea would be to take the range which was voted most as a basis. Then I take the midpoint of the range which was voted most and subtract/add the number of votes for ranges lower/higher than the most voted range times 0.1 times a weighting factor based on the deviation from the range with the most votes. The final number will be the rounded sum.

For example: There are 15 votes in total, eight of them are for 60-65, two votes for 55-60 and 65-70 each and three votes for 50-55.
So the basis would be 62.5 + 2 * 0.1 (because the range 65-70 is next to 60-65) - 2 * 0.1 (because 55-60 is next to 60-65) - 3 * 0.1 * 2 (because there is one range between 60-65 and 50-55). So we would get 61.9 which would lead to a final roster of 62 characters.

EDIT 2
Phase 2 starts today! Give up to three votes to one IP to decide which IP gets how many spots on the roster. Just post your votes in this thread so I can collect them on Sunday April 8th. You can choose from the following list:

Mario
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Wario
Zelda
Pokemon
Kirby
Metroid
Fire Emblem
Star Fox
F-Zero
Mother/Earthbound
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade Chronicles
Retro (everything up until the 64/Gameboy Color era without a respective IP)
Modern (everything from the Gamecube/Gameboy Advance era without a respective IP)
3rd Party
Indie (basically every character which is not from a big game company like SEGA, Capcom etc.)

Extra Rule: For "Retro" and "Modern" I would say we take the console on which a franchise had its debut.
For example, if you are a big fan of Isa Jo from Sin & Punishment give your vote to Retro because Sin & Punishment had its debut on the Nintendo 64 although Isa Jo was introduced on Wii.

You have twelve votes in total so choose wisely! Phase two will end on Sunday 8th April midnight UTC+2. So please write your votes until then. And feel free to edit your votes as I won't count them until the 8th.

Last edited:

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
EDIT 1:

Here are the results of phase 1. With 14 votes the range 65-70 won. With the other votes we get a total of 67.2 which leads to 67 spots on the roster.

Now let us fill this empty, boring roster with characters!

Last edited:

FunAtParties

PM me ur character ideas girl
NNID
ZestyÑ
Switch FC
SW-8404-4905-2993
So I was looking through my computer the other day and found a nice game that I had posted in another forum in 2013. And since we are all basically holding our breaths until the next snippet of info on the game, why not shorten the time with a llittle game?

Basically, it was a community game where the community was in a position of power at Nintendo and could decide the roster for the upcoming Smash Bros. The game had several phases which i will explain right now.

The first step was to vote on the number of characters the final game should have (since the game started before DLC was even a thing i suggest we keep the number for the release roster).

Phase 2: Voting on number of character an IP gets
In the next phase, everyone had five votes and had to give them to different IPs. The number of votes later decided, which IP would get how many characters of that IP were to be in the final roster. The amount of characters an IP would get was decided by the "Largest Remainder Method".

With this method you take the amount of votes an IP got and divide this by the total votes. With that you get a value called qouta. This qouta is then rounded off and that is the amount of places an IP gets in the first run. In the second run, you then give extra places to IPs with the hightest remainder. If two IPs have the same remainder, the result will be decided by chance.

Basically, what this means is that if there are for example ten roster places and the voting results were like this:

Mario 4.5455
Zelda 1.8182
Metroid 2.2727
Kirby 1.3636

This means Mario gets 4 places, Zelda and Kirby get 1 each and Metroid gets 2 in the first run. This makes 8 places in total so there are 2 more to give out. Since the remainders of Mario's and Zelda's qouta are the highest ones, each IP gets another place so the result would be:

This is a fairly easy example without the need of deciding by chance but I hope it explains what I'm up to.

Since the places for each IP are now distributed, it is time to nominate characters for the IPs. I do not know how this phase went last time anymore so I will come up with something. The idea will be that each character needs a certain amount of nominations to get to the final selection but the details will follow!

In the last phase we will finally decide which of the nominated characters will make it into our roster. The idea here is that the characters with the most votes will make it into the roster.

Since there are many IPs which can get votes I would suggest to pack some of them together. My suggestions for the IPs would be:
Mario
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Wario
Zelda
Pokemon
Kirby
Metroid
Fire Emblem
Star Fox
F-Zero
Mother/Earthbound
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade Chronicles
3rd Party

If anyone has problems with some of the bigger IPs being summarized in one IP please let me know. The list of IP is not final and just a suggestion!

I think with the game explained we can start with the first phase and vote on how many characters our roster should have. I have posted a poll for this occasion with round about numbers.

Hopefully many of you will be participating so we will get a good picture of what we as a community really want from a Smash Bros roster!

PS: Sorry for my clunky English. Can't remember when I had to write that much text in English.
I'm down

DJ3DS

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0602-6256-9118
63 characters + random for a nice 4x16 CSS.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
The way I see it, it would make sense for this project to have more characters than the actual game will have, since that way we'd get to add more characters to our fantasy roster and we'll have to cut fewer of the veterans (and discussing additions rather than cuts is arguably less controversial). Even if I don't think they should add more than, say, 10 new characters, I do think it could be interesting to discuss 20 newcomers. So I vote for more rather than less for the purpose of this voting game (75-80).

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Where's the challenge in making a giant roster? 50-55 unique characters seems more fun to me.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Not all of them, but surely most of them will return.
It's much more interesting to me to see who people really want in the game than just who they would add if there's room.

Phase 2: Voting on number of character an IP gets

Mario 4.5455
Zelda 1.8182
Metroid 2.2727
Kirby 1.3636

Mario
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Wario
Zelda
Pokemon
Kirby
Metroid
Fire Emblem
Star Fox
F-Zero
Mother/Earthbound
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade Chronicles
3rd Party

Will there be some kind of runoff for the phase one votes?

Last edited by a moderator:

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
Will there be some kind of runoff for the phase one votes?
Yeah, I quite forgot to do that. I will edit the poll so that it ends on 12 AM in my time zone (which is UTC+1). I think a week is enough for every phase. Maybe I will shorten the times once we reach phase 3 which will be very very long when done for each franchise.

I will edit the runoff time in the original post so that you can read until when you can vote.

On the matter of size:
When we first played this game in a small german forum in 2013, everyone believed since Brawl was so big there would be no way we even would get 50 characters so the character count was 43. This lead to funny results, for example the Mario IP only got four characters and since we had quite a big Waluigi following at the time the four characters to make the cut were Mario, Luigi, Bowser and Waluigi. I think with a smaller roster size the results will be more unexpected and it makes it harder to get your desired character in. Either way I am excited to see where this game will lead.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Yeah, I quite forgot to do that. I will edit the poll so that it ends on 12 AM in my time zone (which is UTC+1). I think a week is enough for every phase. Maybe I will shorten the times once we reach phase 3 which will be very very long when done for each franchise.
What I meant was to ask if the option with the most votes would win, or if there would be some kind of average applied. For example, suppose there were 20 votes total, with nine going to 75-80 characters, but the other eleven spread out among the different options all with 60 or fewer characters. So most people who voted wanted 60 or fewer, but the option with the most votes is 75-80. Would the roster have 75-80 characters, or would you average it somehow?

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
What I meant was to ask if the option with the most votes would win, or if there would be some kind of average applied. For example, suppose there were 20 votes total, with nine going to 75-80 characters, but the other eleven spread out among the different options all with 60 or fewer characters. So most people who voted wanted 60 or fewer, but the option with the most votes is 75-80. Would the roster have 75-80 characters, or would you average it somehow?
Oh okay, I thought you meant something else. My idea would be to take the range which was voted most as a basis. Then I take the midpoint of the range which was voted most and subtract/add the number of votes for ranges lower/higher than the most voted range times 0.1 times a weighting factor based on the deviation from the range with the most votes. The final number will be the rounded sum.

For example: There are 15 votes in total, eight of them are for 60-65, two votes for 55-60 and 65-70 each and three votes for 50-55.
So the basis would be 62.5 + 2 * 0.1 (because the range 65-70 is next to 60-65) - 2 * 0.1 (because 55-60 is next to 60-65) - 3 * 0.1 * 2 (because there is one range between 60-65 and 50-55). So we would get 61.9 which would lead to a final roster of 62 characters.

I think this method is fair with taking the option that the majority wanted but also taking the other votes into consideration.

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
Our final number is currently at 67.4 so we would have 67 characters right now. There is only an hour left until the poll closes so if you want to take part in deciding the number of spots on the roster, you have to be quick.

Although there are currently 13 votes for 65-70 characters your vote can still change the outcome!

I will post the final result tomorrow and will also start the next round tomorrow. Round two will presumably last until Sunday in two weeks as I will be busy next weekend. Everybody will have twelve votes for the next round and you will be able to give up to three votes to one franchise.

I will post again and change the thread title when i start round two officially.

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
As far as I activated the option to change your vote after you had first decided. So you can still skew ;-)
Eh, I won't really revote super low. It would be unfair (and it would be obvious in the results...). I was split between two options when voting though, so I'll change to the lower option.

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
Finally it is time for the results! With the last votes coming in yesterday we now stand at 67.2 spots which means we will get 67 character spots on the community roster! Together with one random spot that means the roster will have the following shape:

Now that we know how big our roster will be let's fill it with characters! For this, everyone gets twelve votes which you can give to any group out of the following ones:

Mario
Yoshi
Donkey Kong
Wario
Zelda
Pokemon
Kirby
Metroid
Fire Emblem
Star Fox
F-Zero
Mother/Earthbound
Animal Crossing
Xenoblade Chronicles
Retro (everything up until the 64/Gameboy Color era without a respective IP)
Modern (everything from the Gamecube/Gameboy Advance era without a respective IP)
3rd Party

For "Retro" and "Modern" I would say we take the console on which a franchise had its debut. For example, if you are a big fan of Isa Jo from Sin & Punishment give your vote to Retro because Sin & Punishment had its debut on the Nintendo 64 although Isa Jo was introduced on Wii.

Please only give a maximum of three votes to any franchise so that we do not end up with 100% votes for Mario or something like that. Although a quarter of the roster being from one franchise would be hard to swallow for every IP.

Phase two will last until Sunday 8th April midnight UTC +2. Please post your votes until then.

I will edit the first post right after i finish this one so that these infos are in there as well.

Frihetsanka

Smash Champion
What does a vote represent? 67/12 is around 5.58, so each vote means 5 characters? There are more than 12 categories as well, what if I want characters from every category? Please elaborate on how this system is supposed to work.

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
What does a vote represent? 67/12 is around 5.58, so each vote means 5 characters? There are more than 12 categories as well, what if I want characters from every category? Please elaborate on how this system is supposed to work.
I'm afraid I wasn't able to explain it very well. Everybody gets to give out twelve votes to any of the 18 IPs. When this phase is over, I will take the amount of votes for any franchise, divide it by the total amount of votes and with that I get a number of characters. So the result is like a percentage of the total votes translated to a percentage of 67 characters for one franchise. That is the easy explanation, although the calculation of roster spots for the franchises is a bit more complicated. This is where the largest remainder method comes in to decide what to do with the remainders of the percentages.

So basically your vote decides wether a franchise gets more characters or not. The important variable here is the percentage of votes that a franchise got which is the basis of the percentage of character spots a franchise gets. As you hopefully can see, a vote does not represent 5.58 characters but rather a part of a character spot that is decided by the total amount of characters. Right now since there is only one person who already voted, one vote counts as 5.58 characters. Right now your calculation is right but when the next one votes, every vote will count for the half of that and so on. With enough votes at the end this will lead to a distribution where every vote represents 67/(total amount of votes) characters.

I hope this makes it a bit more clear.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
2 Mario
1 Pokemon
1 Zelda
1 Kirby
1 Metroid
1 Fire Emblem
1 Star Fox
1 retro
2 modern
1 third-party

DLEAF

Smash Apprentice
2 Mario
2 Pokemon
2 Kirby
2 DK
1 Yoshi
2 Modern
1 Indie

D

Deleted member 396530

User was warned for this post
:mario64::dk64::kirby64::fox64::pikachu64::falcon64::luigi64::jigglypuff64::ness64::yoshi64::samus64::link64::linkmelee::falconmelee::dkmelee::falcomelee::marthmelee::sheikmelee::drmario::samusmelee::mariomelee::zeldamelee::bowsermelee::pichumelee::yoshimelee::nessmelee::luigimelee::mewtwomelee::foxmelee::ganondorfmelee::gawmelee::icsmelee::jigglypuffmelee::kirbymelee::peachmelee::pikachumelee::roymelee::younglinkmelee::bowser2::metaknight::snake::dedede::wolf::sonic::popo::wario::warioc::diddy::olimar::ike::rob::toonlink::pt::dk2::pikachu2::fox::falcon::lucario::zerosuitsamus::kirby2::lucas::link2::yoshi2::ganondorf::sheik::sheilda::jigglypuff::peach::gw::pit::samus2::ivysaur::charizard::squirtle::mario2::falco::luigi2::marth::ness2::zelda::roypm::mewtwopm::4bayonetta::4bayonetta2::4bowser::4bowserjr::4falcon::4charizard::4cloud::4cloud2::4corrin::4dedede::4corrinf::4darkpit::4diddy::4dk::4drmario::4duckhunt::4falco::4fox::4ganondorf::4greninja::4myfriends::4jigglypuff::4kirby::4littlemac::4link::4lucario::4lucas::4lucina::4luigi::4mario::4marth::4megaman::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4miif::4mii::4gaw::4ness::4olimar::4pacman::4palutena::4peach::4pikachu::4pit::4rob::4robinm::4robinf::rosalina::4feroy::4samus::4ryu::4sheik::4shulk::4sonic::4tlink::4villagerf::4villager::4wario::4wiifit::4wiifitm::4yoshi::4zelda::4zss::substitute::4alph::4wario2::4wiremac::4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword::4larry::4roy::4wendy::4iggy::4morton::4lemmy::4ludwig:

Mod edit: Follow the thread rules or don’t make a post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Al-kīmiyā'

Smash the State
Zelda: 3
3rd party: 3
Fire Emblem: 2
Pokemon: 2
Modern: 1
Star Fox: 1

With this method you take the amount of votes an IP got and divide this by the total votes. With that you get a value called qouta. This qouta is then rounded off and that is the amount of places an IP gets in the first run.
It seems like you forgot to mention that the result of the division is multiplied by 100.

nirvanafan

Smash Champion
Premium
Mario: 3
Fire Emblem: 3
Zelda: 2
3rd Party: 2
Animal Crossing: 1
F-Zero: 1

Lukingordex

No Custom Titles Allowed
Switch FC
SW-6444-7862-9014
3 Yoshi
3 Third Party
3 Kirby
3 Mother/Earthbound

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Mario x2
Zelda x2
Metroid x2
Yoshi x1
Animal Crossing x2
Pokemon x1
Pikmin x2

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Mario: 1
Kirby: 1
Donkey Kong: 1
Zelda: 1
Pokemon: 1
Metroid: 1
Modern: 2 (Counting Splatoon, which we already know is getting one; don't know if I'm supposed to do that)
Retro: 1
Xenoblade: 1
3rd Party: 2
Yeah, I'm all about everyone getting a piece of the pie this time around, especially the big ones who didn't in 4.

Last edited:

lurxy

Smash Cadet
NNID
lurxylux
Switch FC
SW 7645 5399 8874
Just a quick reminder:

Phase 2 is ending tomorrow night so if you haven't already voted but want to participate, please do so until tomorrow.

Top Bottom