• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The clonyness chart

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
I don't care if that's a word or not. It's just that the so-called clones of Brawl can be ranked according to the various degrees of resemblance to their originals. Some of them have more in common, some less. The common term "luigified" seems to universal to be applied here.

Also note that clones are NOT defined by special moves alone. Melee clones were clones because they had the same attack ANIMATIONS, even though they had different effects, knockback and some fashionable effects like fire. So for this list, I'll also consider attack animations, but the concept of the attack as well.

First Tier: "So called Clones"

1.Toon Link - The only really different attacks seem to be his Back Air, Neutral Air and up-Smash, and the way his Down Air works. His attacks are almost the same as Link's, and he doesn't really differ from Melee's Young Link except for his cartoonish look. This is the only character that could actually be called a clone in my opinion, but he's still a bit more different than the Melee clones.

Second Tier: "Luigified"

2.Falco - He gets a new Down B, a throwable reflector, which really differs from Fox'. His Forward Smash, Forward Air and Neutral A combo get completely revamped as well. Those alterations make him more akin to Luigi in Melee, as it's quite a bit of a different moveset now.

3.Ganondorf - He still resembles Captain Falcon, but not as much. His Warlock Punch gets a new animation, his Up B gets changed a bit, and his down B has a different effect now. Also, his Up Smash and Forward Tilt (Leonidas Kick) are changed, among other minor wteak in moveset and animation. Also, unique Final Smash.

Third Tier: "Special Move Thieves"

4.Lucas - His special moves are pretty much the same as Ness'. However, all of them have slightly changed effects and sometimes animations. The Lucas profile on the Dojo shows this. Where Ness and Lucas really differs is the rest of their movesets: The Forward Smash is similar, the rest is completely different. Lucas has a very unique A moveset, a different grab, and tether recovery. This, together with the changes in their specials, sets Lucas more apart from his original than the 3 characters mentioned before.

5.Wolf - It's a similar case as with Lucas here: The special moves look a lot like Fox', but the effects are different. However, Wolf has nearly completely new animations, so while his Specials resemble Fox', they were changed more than Lucas'. In addition to that, Wolf has completely unique standard moveset and new throws. He resembles Fox a lot less than Falco does and feels similar to Lucas in that way.

Fourth Tier: "They shouldn't even be on this list"

6.Luigi - It should be pretty obvious: Luigi already was different than Mario in Melee and the original "luigified" clone, but now he's been changed even more. They no longer share the same Down Special and they have vastly different Final Smashes. Luigi is way more than "luigified" now, ironically.

7.Lucario - Despite what many people will tell you, there are a few similarities between Lucario and Melee's Mewtwo. However, they aren't even close to being numerable enough tow arrant calling Lucario a clone. His Aura Sphere is similar, the rest of his special moveset isn't. Dash Attack and a few smashes have similar animations as well, but that's it.

8.Ike - Blue hair? Sword user? Obviously a clone! Well, he really isn't. Aside from those two similarities and the fact that Ike and Marth share a Down B counter and a Neutral B chageable move, they are nothing alike.

Magically Enhanced Hobo

Smash Journeyman
I come from the land of the ice and snow..
I agree with most of this. There aren't really clones like Melee had.

Still, I wish they would have done more with Toon Link, because he had so much potential. Give him Deku Leaf for an Up+B, Skull Hammer for Side+B, etc. Then for a FS do something with the Wind Waker like maybe have some violent winds ala Whispy Woods, only gong in all directions and they wouldn't affect YL. Just something that encompassed how different WW was from the main Zelda series.

Same with Ganondorf, he shouldn't have been a clone either, but at least they gave him a unique FS. It's kinda funny how he brandishes his sword for one of his taunts but still doesn't use it.

maxieman

Smash Ace
The first time I heard someone say Ike was a clone I couldn't sleep! I kept thinking "What could possibly make someone call Ike a clone?" thanks for reassuring me that people are just stupid!

Monshou_no_Nazo

Smash Journeyman
This is a great topic. Clones are much more diversified in Brawl this time around, and characters like Ike and Lucario are completely different characters entirely.

Bishop_S

Smash Cadet
I like that list...

Maybe Luigified should be changed to Falco-nized, or Ganonized.. but if another Smash Bros comes out, they might slip out of that category too.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
I agreee, except there should be a Falcofied section. Wolf is more "Luigified". Still, I agree, good list (exept that Ike stole counter...that's it).

Big-Cat

Challenge accepted.
NNID
KumaOso
3DS FC
1590-4853-0104
This seems pretty accurate regarding the clones. Although, just something to point out with Lucas' moveset. Ness' PK Flash and Lucas' PK Freeze are similar, yet different. Also, their Backs Aerial A's are very similar.

Serpit

Smash Journeyman
Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth, Milky Way
This seems pretty accurate regarding the clones. Although, just something to point out with Lucas' moveset. Ness' PK Flash and Lucas' PK Freeze are similar, yet different. Also, their Backs Aerial A's are very similar.
The problem with Freeze and Flash is that they are essentially the same. They look kind of similar, they behave similar, just one of them freezes and one of them makes boom.

Also, their Back Aerial As are COMPLETELY different. Like, absolutely, totally, undeniably.

Triple_Factorial

Smash Apprentice
I'm surprised ZSS isn't on the list, even if it's 4th tier. She was compared to Sheik quite often before we saw her in action. Other than that I agree for the most part (though weirdly enough Ike always reminds me of Roy...)

And not to nitpick or anything, but shouldn't the "y" in clonyness be replaced with an "i" like it is in most suffixes after a "y" (assuming the base is "clony")?

Jellybelly

Smash Ace
I'm surprised ZSS isn't on the list, even if it's 4th tier. She was compared to Sheik quite often before we saw her in action. Other than that I agree for the most part (though weirdly enough Ike always reminds me of Roy...)

Zamus and Shiek are completely different.

Thats like saying "surely peach is a clone of zelda?"

Chaosblade77

Smash Lord
Just to rant... I wish people would actually think and learn a bit about characters before screaming clone.

It frustrates me a lot when people are so ignorant they call Ike a clone. They share one move. ONE. By that logic every character in the game is a clone to some extent.

Falco can't even fit in the category of a clone anymore. Here's why:

Aerials:

-New Nair, and Fair
-His Bair is the one Fox ditched in Melee; A semi-sex kick
-His Dair has spiking properties just as ot was in Melee.
-His Uair still retains the same properties as it was in Melee, even though this can be counted as a "cloned" move

Ground game:

-New Triple A
-U-tilt is a two hit slash
-Has his D-tilt from melee with similar knockback
-F-tilt is the same. No special properties with this move
-New Forward Smash
-Up smash still retains it's low knockback
-D-smash properties are stillthe same

Specials:

-Blaster has stun
-Throw shine
-Illusion spike still works
-FireBird is still the same as in Melee.

Giving certain things some consideration, Falco is still considered an individual character, even is he shares a few moves. It was bound to happen.

Top Bottom