• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A "The Clinic"- Dr. Mario Q&A Thread

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
:4drmario:
Welcome to The Clinic!
Got a question regarding Dr. Mario, one of the secret challengers in Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS? Ask it here! Doc may be similar to Mario, but he's got his own unique abilities!

As time passes, common questions will be addressed in the OP with an FAQ!​

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
What is "Up B out of shield"?
And how do I use Down B to recover like others, I never gain any height and then fall to my death.

LuCypha X

Smash Rookie
UpB out of shield: while you are shielding you can "jump cancel" the shield and immediately after the jump cancel you can perform the upB

DownB:

To gain some hight you have to mash the B Button. The "best" way to recover with doc: First downB, Second Jump, upB. After the Second Jump (if you first used downB) you can downB again but you can't gain any hight with it again.

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
Does anybody have any idea of how to cape Charizard's Side B? It seems that when I hit him with the cape, it results in Charizard going into his recoil animation/state.

I Am Normal (IAN)

Smash Rookie
NNID
Chalz25
3DS FC
2466-1591-2815
Does anybody have any idea of how to cape Charizard's Side B? It seems that when I hit him with the cape, it results in Charizard going into his recoil animation/state.
Idk if it's possible to cape it, personally I just like to shield it, then punish with a dash grab and throw combos.

Melonfrog

Smash Apprentice
UpB out of shield: while you are shielding you can "jump cancel" the shield and immediately after the jump cancel you can perform the upB

DownB:

To gain some hight you have to mash the B Button. The "best" way to recover with doc: First downB, Second Jump, upB. After the Second Jump (if you first used downB) you can downB again but you can't gain any hight with it again.
Aha! The reason I never gained height was because I used it after my second jump.

Also I am struggling to use Down B as an attack, why, when and how should I use this attack?
When I use it it knocks everyone away the second I use it, not pulled into like other Dr. Marios I have seen.

LuCypha X

Smash Rookie
In my opinion the DownB is a very usefull attack. It have a high priority, so against other attacks you will often win the "duel".
You can punish rolls and airdodges with it or use it as a edgeguarding move with kill potential.

But I think you misunderstood me a little. ;) You have two good options to recover.
1. DownB -> second jump -> UpB
2. second jump -> DownB -> UpB
In both cases you can gain some height with the downB (if you mash the B--button). But if you use the DownB again in the air (DownB->second jump->DownB OR second jump -> DownB -> DownB) you can't gain height with it again.

Last edited:

Thegopher

Smash Cadet
The best option to recover is second jump-> down b-> up b. The reason for this is because you have momentum from your second jump resulting in easier mashing.

LuCypha X

Smash Rookie
You've way more options after the second jump. That's why I prefer DownB -> second jump. And I don't know if you've more momentum with it or not. It's just cause the options.

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
So when reflecting projectiles with cape, do the projectiles do more damage and knockback? If so, is the damage and knockback gained from Doc's cape better than the damage and knockback from Mario's cape?

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
How do you reverse Dr mario's up b while recovering? I try reversing it after wall jumping but i end up killing my self because I go the opposite direction.

TTTTTsd

Gordeau Main Paint Drinker
NNID
InverseTangent
Angle your stick upwards and towards the stage and hit B and you should Up+B in the opposite direction last I checked. Straight up will just go in the direction you are facing.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
So when reflecting projectiles with cape, do the projectiles do more damage and knockback? If so, is the damage and knockback gained from Doc's cape better than the damage and knockback from Mario's cape?
This is almost universal among the majority of reflectors, Doc and Mario's Capes included, but I don't know where there is data on specific multipliers. My recollection is for reflecting purposes, the Capes are identical. Doc's Cape however has a better vertical hitbox which helps for edgeguards.

Last edited:

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
Do y'all find it better to use upB whenever you have the opportunity to rack up the damage, or try to keep it as fresh as possible for it to be a kill move? In my experience upB fresh or not has not been the kill move I expected it to be, so maybe it's just best to really learn whenever I can punish with it instead.

Edit: I read on another forum that freshness only multiplies knock back by 1.05? Say it ain't so that's nonexistent and certainly answers my question, but I have a hard time believing it.

Last edited:

Kisatamura

Prescriber of Manami.
NNID
Kisatamura
3DS FC
1521-4702-6467
While UpB does have kill power, in my experience it seems to kill around 160%, earlier if near the edge. So generally I use it quite liberally since it's a powerful punish tool in Doc's moveset.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Who's walljump is better? Dr. Mario or Mario?
I think since Doc's recovery isn't as good as Mario's he can make more use of it. Plus I found that his wall jump keeps him closer to ledge compared to Mario which means you can follow-up a wall jump with a B-Air to punish anyone guarding the ledge, though this can be extremely risky. Characters like Falcon can snuff or trade with your B-Air for an U-Tilt which will spike you.

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
I've heard that Doctor's projectiles are a little stronger than Mario's. Are they strong enough in that I would prefer to use him over Mario as I love my little projectiles, or does Mario's speed make him better at the spacing game despite the weaker fireball?

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
I've heard that Doctor's projectiles are a little stronger than Mario's. Are they strong enough in that I would prefer to use him over Mario as I love my little projectiles, or does Mario's speed make him better at the spacing game despite the weaker fireball?
I think at this point Doc and Mario are so different it comes down to more than just tiny little differences in each individual move. Doc is more of a read and punish character while Mario is more of a rush down combo character. Pick which ever one reflects you play-style better and work with it.

Last edited:

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
I think at this point Doc and Mario are so different it comes down to more than just tiny little differences in each individual move. Doc is more of a read and punish character while Mario is more of a rush down combo character. Pick which ever one reflects you play-style better and work with it.
I would have figured that Mario is better able to take advantage of reads and punish better on account of having greater mobility and combo options, whereas Dr. Mario needs to rely more on reads but does not necessarily do it better. Now of course Dr.'s upB is a neat punish unique to him, and his downB is better able to punish rolls.

Doctor_Mario

Smash Apprentice
Who's tornado is better for recovering, Luigi's or Doctor Mario's? I find Doctor Mario has an advantage because Luigi had his tornado nerfed, now you need some momentum before you can float. I can fast fall and use the Tornado to float me back up.

hey_there

Smash Journeyman
Who's tornado is better for recovering, Luigi's or Doctor Mario's? I find Doctor Mario has an advantage because Luigi had his tornado nerfed, now you need some momentum before you can float. I can fast fall and use the Tornado to float me back up.
I believe Luigi's full height is higher than Doc's, but it's damn near impossible to mash that hard =)

Reaper Talk

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Tricky32
3DS FC
0946-2336-1376
Hey Doc mains!
I'm doing a general guide for all characters in the roster and was wondering what are the Doc's strongest/weakest stages?
Doc is my secondary and I'd personally say either Castle Siege, Battlefield, or Halberd, but I want to get more opinions in case I am wrong (which I am most of the time).
Thank you in advance !

Tha_Crystal_Gemz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miki-iki
3DS FC
4425-1738-4816
Switch FC
SW-5889-0433-4399
Hello all. I am sorry if my question has been answered in the previous posts but I really don't have time to read them. (Please don't be angry with me)

I need some advice on how to beat GOOD Megaman players online. Please give me some tips on this match up...
With Dr. Mario, I make use of my reflector sheet, that kinda works but only for so long. I use Dr. Tornado to get in and use my tilt moves/grab but overall, I lose the match. I think the doc is a good match up for Megaman because he is a bit faster and it is easier for me to close the distance rather safely, but I still end up losing...not to mention, Dr.'s recovery to get back on stage isn't the best. I just need some overall tips perhaps on my playstyle maybe, I dunno...

These matches aren't fun so I am really eager to start beating some Megamans so I don't groan in disgust when I am facing one.

Ffamran

The Smooth Devil Mod
With the change in Dr. Mario's Up Smash hit angle, how are you all adapting to it? This dude was able to jab lock to Fast Pill? using the back of Up Smash to send Fox in front of him and then finished with Side Smash. Probably something that might not happen all the time, but it's something to know, I guess. Link: https://youtu.be/XSBjcrXgXWE.

CommanderVimes

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
0275-7625-7862
Nice but Usmash does have some actual combos now; mainly reverse Usmash to Up B (29 dmg) and reverse Usmash to Jab combo (24 dmg). I think the new Usmash is decent since it can be used as a starter but it would be a lot better if it had less lag.
What exactly is reverse USmash? Making sure to hit with the back (starting active frames) of the move? I imagine pivots are my friend here.

Dobbston

Smash Apprentice
What exactly is reverse USmash? Making sure to hit with the back (starting active frames) of the move? I imagine pivots are my friend here.
Yeah, since the back of Usmash comes out first and has more range. The only downside of reverse Usmash is that you have to wait for the move to end which makes the move seem laggier than it is.

Last edited:

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Is there any good dr.mario's I can play/learn from for reference?
You might wanna browse the video thread if you wanna watch some good Doc's go to work. Other then that, there doesn't seem to be any real Doc player that stands out among the rest that I currently have any knowledge of.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Check out Rice (I recently posted some videos of him in the video thread and there should be more videos of him posted by other users). Koolaid has a good Doc as well, but he doesn't get much exposure and when he does, he usually rocks Pac-Man.

Kudemo has a good Doc but I haven't seen him play in tournament (though he plays against good players).

Last edited:

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
Just wanted to add that there is a Doc player who goes under the tag Fire (IQHQ Fire). He plays with Vinnie and others.

Think the stream that he is on usually is fatalstryke.

Shrooms2090

Smash Rookie
NNID
Emilio02
Any help with the use of the fast pill? i want to mostly use it to zone but it just does so little damage. For any help, I use Fast pill, Breezy Sheet, Soaring Tornado (obviously), and the super jump.

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
Any help with the use of the fast pill? i want to mostly use it to zone but it just does so little damage. For any help, I use Fast pill, Breezy Sheet, Soaring Tornado (obviously), and the super jump.
Short hop it a lot to stay mobile, and against some taller characters you can even fullhop Pill to zone. Use it after F-throw. Honestly just throw it whenever your opponent isn't in range to powershield DA you or be smart and throw it to force them off balance.

Also Super Jump isn't that good. Stick to Default Up-B, which has amazing OOS utility.

Shrooms2090

Smash Rookie
NNID
Emilio02
Short hop it a lot to stay mobile, and against some taller characters you can even fullhop Pill to zone. Use it after F-throw. Honestly just throw it whenever your opponent isn't in range to powershield DA you or be smart and throw it to force them off balance.

Also Super Jump isn't that good. Stick to Default Up-B, which has amazing OOS utility.
Care to explain why it isn't viable? (Up B)

Last edited:
Top Bottom