• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chozo Armory: Samus Moveset Variation Thread

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Smash 4 has been confirmed to have multiple versions of each characters Special Moves. So far the only characters who variations we've seen is Mario and some of Donkey Kong's. So what do you think we'll see for Samus? If you want, you can discuss this here.

UPDATE: We now have conformation on all of Samus' special attack variants.

Credit goes to JOEINKY at Neogaf for finding these moves first. And @ Spazzy_D Spazzy_D for posting the info here first.

Neutral Special 1 (Charge Beam)

Samus' default charge beam is pretty similar to what it normally is, takes about 2 and a half seconds to fully charge, if you use it uncharged in the air you instantly fire the minimum charge shot. The charge also increases the distance traveled slightly, with the uncharged version going far and the fully charged version practically going across the screen.

Damage scales from 3% at minimum charge to 25% at max charge, knockback at minimum charge and Maximum charge is a good kill move.

Neutral Special 2 (Slow Beam)

This is for all those people that desire to run past your own ammunition, it takes almost twice as long to charge than the regular charge shot, but it also charges to twice the size.

Stays onscreen about the same duration as the regular charge beam, but it moves so slowly that you're able to use it as a edge guard or combo extender, whatever you please.

Uncharged damage is 4% and knockback is negligible, damage at full charge is 27% and the knockback is about the same as the regular charge beam. The more charged the beam is, the less distance it travels, you can have 3 uncharged shots on screen at once or a fully charged one and an uncharged one.

And yes, you definitely can combo into it, but the timing is tight, shooting it in midair and then dash attacking someone into it works, so does just throwing them at it.
It also looks like a good edgeguard option, put it next to the edge to scare someone then go deep for a dair.

It's hitbox is so big that you can also hit people behind you if they're right next to you, but I think that's character-specific.

Neutral Special 3 (Shotgun Beam)

Takes about the same amount of time to charge as the regular charge beam, but this beam fires no projectile, instead firing a concentrated burst directly infront of you.

Uncharged, the blast does 5% damage and negligible knockback, fully charged does 17% damage and high hitstun, though it's not enough to do anything due to the high endlag, I thought this move might have had shieldbreaker properties, but it doesn't seem to so I'm having trouble finding what the benefit is supposed to be, seems like a complete nerf as is. If anyone has anything else on this move it would be very helpful.

Side Special 1 (Missile)

Usual stuff, tilt special will fire a Homing Missile whereas the smash special will fire a Super Missile.

Super Missile does 11%, Homing Missile does 6%.

The maximum angle change per second for the homing missile is quite low so don't expect it to be chasing people too much.

Side Special 2 (Slow Missile)

Homing version does 2-3% damage, travels slower and has a much better turning circle, allowing it to follow a player very easily.

Super Missile does 11-12% damage, doesn't seem to be any different to the normal Super Missile other than the fact that it moves slower, it doesn't have any homing properties or anything.

You can only have either 2 Homing Missiles or a Homing Missile and a Super Missile onscreen at once, trying anything else will do the animation but not spawn a projectile.

Side Special 3 (Delayed Missile)

In this variant, both missiles will stay locked in place for a second before shooting forwards at a much higher speed.

The homing missile has an unlimited lock-on range and a fast turning circle, but it can only lock onto a player before it's begun moving.

Homing Missile does 3%, Super Missile does 9%.

Up Special 1 (Screw Attack)

Standard Samus recovery move, lack of SDI in the game means it's multi-hit properties are buffed without actually changing too much, has high vertical knocback at the start of the move but not much anywhere else, does around 7% damage.

It also seems to be faster initially when used on the ground, can't remember if this was always a thing.

Up Special 2 (Boost Ball)

A diagonal recovery that hits harder, doing 15% damage.

If you do it grounded, it goes perfectly diagonally, whereas if you do it in the air, it goes more horizontally and ends in a short hop.

Pretty standard customisation, not much to say about it.

Up Special 3 (Shinespark !!! (don't know if it's called this but it is a bit similar to what a shinespark looks like!))

Samus crouches down and then shoots herself upwards, it's a purely vertical recovery unlike the other two moves and does 11% damage, but it only has a hit box on the initial jump and the end flash, anywhere else will not damage the enemy.

The move combos into itself quite nicely and the second hitbox has great vertical knockback.

Down Special 1 (Morph Ball Bombs)

Reports that Samus' Bombs explode on contact have been greatly exaggerated, they're back in their brawl form, exploding after about 2 seconds and doing a measly 5% damage. Knockback is rubbish.

Down Special 2 (Slippy Bomb)

The bomb moves upwards slightly when you use it for some reason, the explosion only does 2% damage but it has a tripping property.

Down Special 3 (Power Bomb)

Drops a much bigger bomb that takes about 3 or 4 seconds to explode, and has a larger explosion, it can also be sweetspotted, doing 9% damage and minor knockback at the edge of the explosion and 13% damage with slightly more knockback at the center.

You've got a good 2 seconds of movement before the bomb explodes, so using this effectively will be the key, if you touch the explosion at all you will be put back into morph ball mode and won't be able to attack, so watch out for that (this applies to all morph ball bombs still)

Again, thanks to JOEINKY for finding these moves and posting pictures.

Now that we know all of Samus' Custom moves, what do you plan on using? Feel free to share any info if you want.

Last edited:

CardiganBoy

Smash Lord
Don't forget about Ice and Phazon missiles, maybe some kind of short shinespark as a variation of screw attack, or power bombs for downb, and 64/Melee proximity bombs.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Don't forget about Ice and Phazon missiles, maybe some kind of short shinespark as a variation of screw attack, or power bombs for downb, and 64/Melee proximity bombs.
Yeah, I'll be sure to add some more at a later time. The Shine Spark is a really cool idea.

Jerry Applesauce

Smash Ace
These are sick ideas. For her down B she could also do the Hyper Ball attack, with the ability to move. Its attack range would decrease in range and would have to recharge over time.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
Semi-realistically, this is what I'd love to see.

B: Charge Shot
B2: Ice Shot (it's slower, but freezes for a second, it's also chargeable, and fully charged freezes for 3)
B3: Wave Shot (it's slow, but travels in a zigzag pattern, and goes through anyone. Barely flinches)

Bdown: Morph Ball bomb (time)
Bd2: Morph Ball bomb (proximity)
Bd3: Power Bomb (Takes more time to detonate, but its radius is wider than an exploding Electrode)

Btilt: Missile/Super Missile
Btil2: Phazon missiles (faster homing) / Faster super missiles
Btilt3: Better homing /Stronger Super missiles

Bup: Screw attack
Bup2: Space Jump (weaker screw attack that barely flinches, but you can use up to 3)
Bup3: Super screw attack (Devastatingly powerful, but it travels half the distance of a normal screw attack)

Which for the record, I'd main:
Ice Shot
Morph Ball Proximity
Missile/Super Missile
Super Screw Attack

Oh, and I'd love to see something Phazon related as well. Or maybe the Charged Missile from Prime.

Last edited:

Ryuutakeshi

Smash Lord
I want the spazer back. Larger area to hit, but weaker individual shots. The ice beam is goingn to be in for sure though. And she NEEDS power bombs.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
It's been confirmed that she has a variation of her B called Melee Charge Shot. I'm slightly disappointed because it doesn't sound like it is as diverse as Ice Beam or Plasma Beam, but I'm really interested in what Melee Charge Shot will be.

Boss N

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Boss-N
3DS FC
0044-3869-2757
I'm loving the ideas here!

N:
Wave beam, it's also chargeable and moves in a zig zag pattern but the more you charge it the slower it goes. It also doesn't have a far reach.
Plasma beam, isn't chargeable but can be fired in quick succession.

Side:
Ice Missles, like in PM travel faster than regular missiles but do less knock back.
Or you can fire 3 missiles at once in 3 directions, they all do the same damage as regular homing missiles though.

Down:
The dash ball attack from the metroid prime games.
Power bombs, as shinned said;
Takes more time to detonate, but its radius is wider than an exploding Electrode

Up:
Since it's confirmed that Samus's new screw attack is more of a kill move there's defiantly going to be the classic
multi-hit screw attack.
Space Jump, does very little damage but has far superior recovery ability.

It's been confirmed that she has a variation of her B called Melee Charge Shot. I'm slightly disappointed because it doesn't sound like it is as diverse as Ice Beam or Plasma Beam, but I'm really interested in what Melee Charge Shot will be.
Where did you find this out?

SmashShadow

Smash Champion
3DS FC
0104-0598-9588
What exactly does that even mean? I'm hoping it means lethal strike from Other M instead of just some cosmetic change.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
I hope Melee Charged Shot isn't just a very short ranged and more powerful version of the original. The lethal strikes from Other M have so much potential as inclusions in Smash 4.

Ividboy

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ividboy
3DS FC
4098-4898-5270
I hope Melee Charged Shot isn't just a very short ranged and more powerful version of the original. The lethal strikes from Other M have so much potential as inclusions in Smash 4.
I personally think that they should implement the lethal strike into samus's forward and back throw making them into kill throws. Keep the up and down throws since that covers the functionality of shocking them with the end of the grapple beam and just swinging the opponent around. This would make it so that down throw isn't her only throw worth using.

As for my custom moveset options:

Neutral B:
Variation 1: Plasma Beam
This would be more powerful that samus's fully charged shot and would jolt across the whole screen in an instant(think ROB's fully charged neutral special but with plasma beam aesthetic) In exchange it would take a WAY longer time to charge(longer than it takes for a respawn) This means that you would have to be strategic in when you charge the beam and make absolute sure you hit.
Variation 2: Melee Charge Shot
The confirmed neutral special variation, no info on what it does yet though.

Side B:
Variation 1: Ice missiles
Slower than regular, but more damage and knockback, also the super ice missiles will freeze the opponent and the regular ice missiles will just have an ice effect on hit
Variation 2: Prime missile
These missiles will have the prime missile aesthetic from prime 1 and 2. They will be a lot faster than the regular missile, but have less knockback and damage. The super prime missile will home in on the opponent, but less effectively than the regular prime missiles

Up B:
Variation 1:
Space Jump (weaker screw attack that barely flinches, but you can use up to 3)
Variation 2: Shinespark
Goes same distance as regular screw attack but transfers more momentum into fall when recovery ends, also it can be aimed in the 8 cardinal directions like in super metroid. It would be a one hit attack with decent knockback and damage(since you are using the blasters on Samus's back to tackle with your shoulder) but not as powerful as the final hit of the regular screw attack.

Down B:
Variation 1: Power Bomb
Would have to charge before setting(can't hold charge) but is more powerful than regular and has a bigger blast radius.
Variation 2: Proximity bomb
It would be hard to see on ground, and would stay until an opponent steps near/on it and it explode or until samus sets another bomb and the previous explode automatically. More powerful then regular, less powerful than power bomb.

Personally I would use this set:

Neutral B: Regular Charge Shot
Side B: Prime Missiles (cause I love prime)
Up B: Regular Screw Attack (I like the idea of a screw attack out of shield that can kill)
Down B: Proximity Bombs

Crystanium

Smash Hero
Well, opens up the playing field to a whole, new experience. I like it. I could see ice beams or missiles being annoying, especially if ice missiles can be used. Too bad the lag cancel isn't in effect because ice missile barrage plus lag cancel would likely make Samus really difficult to battle. Of course, this is just hypothetical. I wonder if bombs would permit cluster bombs as shown in Super Metroid and Metroid: Other M if Samus' shot is fully charged. That would be nice.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Did someone find up them?
Yup.

ALL CREDIT GOES TO USER JOEINKY AT NEOGAF:
[URL]http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892673&page=106
[/URL]

Neutral Special 1 (Charge Beam)

Samus' default charge beam is pretty similar to what it normally is, takes about 2 and a half seconds to fully charge, if you use it uncharged in the air you instantly fire the minimum charge shot. The charge also increases the distance traveled slightly, with the uncharged version going far and the fully charged version practically going across the screen.

Damage scales from 3% at minimum charge to 25% at max charge, knockback at minimum charge and Maximum charge is a good kill move.

Neutral Special 2 (Slow Beam)

This is for all those people that desire to run past your own ammunition, it takes almost twice as long to charge than the regular charge shot, but it also charges to twice the size.

Stays onscreen about the same duration as the regular charge beam, but it moves so slowly that you're able to use it as a edge guard or combo extender, whatever you please.

Uncharged damage is 4% and knockback is negligible, damage at full charge is 27% and the knockback is about the same as the regular charge beam. The more charged the beam is, the less distance it travels, you can have 3 uncharged shots on screen at once or a fully charged one and an uncharged one.

And yes, you definitely can combo into it, but the timing is tight, shooting it in midair and then dash attacking someone into it works, so does just throwing them at it.
It also looks like a good edgeguard option, put it next to the edge to scare someone then go deep for a dair.

It's hitbox is so big that you can also hit people behind you if they're right next to you, but I think that's character-specific.

Neutral Special 3 (Shotgun Beam)

Takes about the same amount of time to charge as the regular charge beam, but this beam fires no projectile, instead firing a concentrated burst directly infront of you.

Uncharged, the blast does 5% damage and negligible knockback, fully charged does 17% damage and high hitstun, though it's not enough to do anything due to the high endlag, I thought this move might have had shieldbreaker properties, but it doesn't seem to so I'm having trouble finding what the benefit is supposed to be, seems like a complete nerf as is. If anyone has anything else on this move it would be very helpful.

Side Special 1 (Missile)

Usual stuff, tilt special will fire a Homing Missile whereas the smash special will fire a Super Missile.

Super Missile does 11%, Homing Missile does 6%.

The maximum angle change per second for the homing missile is quite low so don't expect it to be chasing people too much.

Side Special 2 (Slow Missile)

Homing version does 2-3% damage, travels slower and has a much better turning circle, allowing it to follow a player very easily.

Super Missile does 11-12% damage, doesn't seem to be any different to the normal Super Missile other than the fact that it moves slower, it doesn't have any homing properties or anything.

You can only have either 2 Homing Missiles or a Homing Missile and a Super Missile onscreen at once, trying anything else will do the animation but not spawn a projectile.

Side Special 3 (Delayed Missile)

In this variant, both missiles will stay locked in place for a second before shooting forwards at a much higher speed.

The homing missile has an unlimited lock-on range and a fast turning circle, but it can only lock onto a player before it's begun moving.

Homing Missile does 3%, Super Missile does 9%.

Up Special 1 (Screw Attack)

Standard Samus recovery move, lack of SDI in the game means it's multi-hit properties are buffed without actually changing too much, has high vertical knocback at the start of the move but not much anywhere else, does around 7% damage.

It also seems to be faster initially when used on the ground, can't remember if this was always a thing.

Up Special 2 (Boost Ball)

A diagonal recovery that hits harder, doing 15% damage.

If you do it grounded, it goes perfectly diagonally, whereas if you do it in the air, it goes more horizontally and ends in a short hop.

Pretty standard customisation, not much to say about it.

Up Special 3 (Shinespark !!! (don't know if it's called this but it is a bit similar to what a shinespark looks like!))

Samus crouches down and then shoots herself upwards, it's a purely vertical recovery unlike the other two moves and does 11% damage, but it only has a hit box on the initial jump and the end flash, anywhere else will not damage the enemy.

The move combos into itself quite nicely and the second hitbox has great vertical knockback.

Down Special 1 (Morph Ball Bombs)

Reports that Samus' Bombs explode on contact have been greatly exaggerated, they're back in their brawl form, exploding after about 2 seconds and doing a measly 5% damage. Knockback is rubbish.

Down Special 2 (Slippy Bomb)

The bomb moves upwards slightly when you use it for some reason, the explosion only does 2% damage but it has a tripping property.

Down Special 3 (Power Bomb)

Drops a much bigger bomb that takes about 3 or 4 seconds to explode, and has a larger explosion, it can also be sweetspotted, doing 9% damage and minor knockback at the edge of the explosion and 13% damage with slightly more knockback at the center.

You've got a good 2 seconds of movement before the bomb explodes, so using this effectively will be the key, if you touch the explosion at all you will be put back into morph ball mode and won't be able to attack, so watch out for that (this applies to all morph ball bombs still)

Last edited:

PowerBomb

Smash Master
Slow charge beam along with those tripping bombs seem pretty amusing in four player FFAs. I'm disappointed in the lack of elemental beams, but dat power bomb, boost ball, and shinespark more than make up for it.

Rattlehead2Deth

Smash Rookie
The charge shot and missile alts are very disappointing. I respect the Up-B alts, and love that there's a power bomb alt for Down-B. It's kinda inexcusable to not have any ice stuff. :/ It pains me to see when Project M put more work into canonical fan service than Smash. I know it's a huge game and there's tooons to do, but there are already ice effects in the game, so applying that to the missiles and charge shot shouldn't be that hard. A missed opportunity for sure.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Megaman got Ice Slash for his side B custom, so ice beam could have happened.

D

Deleted member

The charge shot and missile alts are very disappointing. I respect the Up-B alts, and love that there's a power bomb alt for Down-B. It's kinda inexcusable to not have any ice stuff. :/ It pains me to see when Project M put more work into canonical fan service than Smash. I know it's a huge game and there's tooons to do, but there are already ice effects in the game, so applying that to the missiles and charge shot shouldn't be that hard. A missed opportunity for sure.
This exactly. In general, I feel like as great as this game is going to be, there are so many missed opportunities, especially with all the customization.

And it bugs me that a character like Mega Man has completely canonical custom moves but then Samus has no canonical beam types as her customs? Whaaaaaat?

But at least there are some good choices here and there.

Critzilean

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Critzilean
3DS FC
1693-2152-0414
Switch FC
SW-2556-2425-6120
I've been maining Samus since 64, just was wondering if anyone who has the Japanese version could tell me what her custom specials are :3

NamelessHunter

Smash Cadet
Maybe it can't be reflected/absorbed?
Is its knockback officialy the same as regular Charge Beam's (both fully charged)?
That seems likely.

My Google Fu won't show me anything besides the one guy who says it has the same knockback and damage. I hope it does more damage and less knockback personally. Since it will forever be dubbed the shotgun beam, and that makes sense.. I hope we get some additional sources soon.

Last edited:

TheAccursedHunter01

Smash Apprentice
Whenever anyone finds a video of these moves in action, please post them here. I've seen a few videos about Sonic's custom moves, but there's almost nothing else for any of the other characters, unless I'm just looking in the wrong place.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
I just made a video of Samus' special moves. Enjoy.

The fast missile in particular interests me.

Empyrean

Smash Champion
NNID
Arnprior
Hmmm, the fast missiles look pretty handy, so do the slow ones.

As for the diagonal up-b, I dunno what reason there is to use that, if tether already covers that angle. Plus it doesn't have any vertical distance or knockback. Seems like quite the downgrade to me.

Crystanium

Smash Hero
I'm going to try using the Slow Beam, Delayed Missile, Screw Attack, and Power Bomb. That Delayed Missile is awesome! I'm going to stick with the Gravity Suit, too.

Chauzu

Smash Ace
Hey :) I'm going to be in a tourney with Samus tomorrow and going to use some custom moves, I was thinking the slow missile, the kill up special and the big bomb.

I was wondering if anyone had any theories on how to use Big Bomb effectively? I don't really have that many myself so anything is appreciated.

Mithrilangel

Smash Rookie
I don't know, maybe you send someone flying off stage then while they recover put a big bomb at the ledge fire 3 slow missiles and a slow charge shot then giggle as you watch them recover :p.

TeaTwoTime

Smash Ace
Her customs look beyond great. I cannot wait to try them out. :grin: 2232 looks really, really effective.

Knight Dude

Keeping it going.
NNID
Kaine-Rodgers
3DS FC
0232-7749-6030
Man, the Slow Charge Beam actually seems really good. There's a few crazy setups you could pull with that. Not sure if I like the Slow Missiles more or the Fast Missiles. I'll have to try them out. I think I'll keep the Normal Screw Attack.

Though I was hoping for an Ice Beam variant. I should update the OP soon. Sorry about taking so long.

Shog

Smash Ace
I have the Big Bombs but I can't use them effective enough. The Slow Charge Shot has low range, so I prefer the Normal one. But it is definitely promising, as it can stay up above the ledge.

Serris

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)
NNID
Herple-Derples
3DS FC
5043-4507-3351
Turbo Missiles allow for some pretty great follow-ups. I'm not sold on the other moves, though.

Savez

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0962-9913-3965
I've used pretty much all the alts and here's my take on them.

Neutral Special 2 (Dense Charge Shot)
Great for edgeguarding and can be used randomly on the stage to prevent them from closing up on you. You can also throw people into it and it feels amazing.

Neutral Special 3 (Melee Charge Shot)
I think this is good only as a counterpick if you know they are using a character like Villager, Mario etc. Otherwise dont bother

Side Special 2 (Relentless Missile)
Haven't found a use for this one. I think it's for stage control but the lag after having shot one doesn't let you make the most out of it.

Side Special 3 (Turbo Missile)
Amazing for followups or for hitting them at an awkward angle since the homing variation has some pretty sick tracking. Damage is a bit on the low side though.

Up Special 2 (Screw Rush)
It feels awkward to use as a recovery but maybe it's just because I'm used to the standard screw attack. The knockback is horizontal. Not much to say.

Up Special 3 (Apex Screw Attack)
Don't like it. Think of it as Luigi's Up only without the sweetspot.. Kills Mario @ 85% but sucks balls as a recovery option.

Down Special 2 (Slip Bombs)
They meteor. Great but you can't really bomb jump with them and if they hit you they make you "trip" without actually make you into falling animation. They instead fully trip opponents on the stage.

Down Special 3 (Power Bombs)
More stage control. They have a set timer and explode for 9%. The explosion affects you without damaging yourself so it can disrupt some of your combos. Doesn't seem that good.

My setup.
2312 or 1312 depending on the opponent. I have to use a bit more the ApexSA but I don't think it's very good.

Last edited:
Top Bottom