• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chat Waker - Toon Link social

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Don't know if this was already known....but throwing a bomb at roy from behind, a split second after he counters....there's short window where it's deflects and lands on the ground instead of exploding.

That was something when I first saw it...

@Jash
I'm not sure but from my experience it bounces of throughout the whole counter.

The bombs are multi-hit, and explode a tad bit away from the opponent instead of on-hit, so it's hard to get the full damage. But the follow ups are real ridiculous.
Ah, like melee. Damn, that seems really good.

Vapo

Smash Apprentice
So Cloud is a thing. Huh.

I know it's way too early to make analyse him and all, but it looks like Tink might win against him through outzoning and punishing the lag on his attacks (if his lag is anything like Shulk). So the Tink part of my mind is pretty confident about this guy. Meanwhile, the Jigglypuff part of my mind is quaking in fear at that range.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
So Cloud is a thing. Huh.

I know it's way too early to make analyse him and all, but it looks like Tink might win against him through outzoning and punishing the lag on his attacks (if his lag is anything like Shulk). So the Tink part of my mind is pretty confident about this guy. Meanwhile, the Jigglypuff part of my mind is quaking in fear at that range.
He looked pretty fast and has a projectile with what looks a lot like side b, that should help him against us, we'll just have to wait. His side b also looks like the kind of projectile which can beat out most others, or at least go past them.

Hyperkin1995

Smash Cadet
NNID
hyperkineticwun
I'm way slow but can I be added to the Tink skype group please? My skype is Ian.Hicks.95
:3

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I'm way slow but can I be added to the Tink skype group please? My skype is Ian.Hicks.95
:3
This is a pretty awkward situation... The skype chat moderator, Artemis, hasn't been active on the chat or even on smashboards. I'll add you now while we wait to see if arty pops back up.

Poopybutthole

Smash Cadet
I'm looking to play seriously and learn the Toon Link match-up so if you have people like that in the Skype Group always looking to play I'd really like to be added: puss_in_boats

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
Oh dear, I feel sort of bad that lotad had to do that, but thanks lotad!

Artemis can't make many posts or go on skype due to his pc being ded and phone being dead, though artemis is able to browse internet and stuff through the wii u, its kind of limited

If anyone would like to join the skype chat, please message me (pallyjames) or add Scamper (scamper52596)

*Edit*
Sending you a friend request Poopybutthole Poopybutthole !

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Oh dear, I feel sort of bad that lotad had to do that, but thanks lotad!

Artemis can't make many posts or go on skype due to his pc being ded and phone being dead, though artemis is able to browse internet and stuff through the wii u, its kind of limited Poopybutthole Poopybutthole !
It's all good, I'm just glad to hear arty's ok.
edit:
MY GAMECUUUUUUUUUBE!!!
The disc reader isn't working :104:. I looked up a few tutorials on how to fix it. One said that for him it works if you just unplug the gamecube and plug it back in 5 mins later, don't know how it would work but it seems it worked for most of the commenters, not me, sadly. Another seems much more reliable, yet also more inconvenient, you need to take the whole gamecube apart...

Do any of you know any other methods that could work? And before anyone asks, yes, I have tried with many different games which I know are working fine. Just before it stopped working I was checking through old memory cards, so I needed to keep switching games to check save files, all games were working perfectly.

Last edited:

Cyre

Smash Apprentice
It's all good, I'm just glad to hear arty's ok.
edit:
MY GAMECUUUUUUUUUBE!!!
The disc reader isn't working :104:. I looked up a few tutorials on how to fix it. One said that for him it works if you just unplug the gamecube and plug it back in 5 mins later, don't know how it would work but it seems it worked for most of the commenters, not me, sadly. Another seems much more reliable, yet also more inconvenient, you need to take the whole gamecube apart...

Do any of you know any other methods that could work? And before anyone asks, yes, I have tried with many different games which I know are working fine. Just before it stopped working I was checking through old memory cards, so I needed to keep switching games to check save files, all games were working perfectly.
Ouch, that really sucks, I don't think there are really any fixes for that other than getting your hands dirty or finding someone else to do it..
If you have a wii, you can load in some games off an sd/flash drive using some

It doesn't solve the gamecube issue, but at least you'd be able to play your games.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Ouch, that really sucks, I don't think there are really any fixes for that other than getting your hands dirty or finding someone else to do it..
If you have a wii, you can load in some games off an sd/flash drive using some

It doesn't solve the gamecube issue, but at least you'd be able to play your games.
yeah, I can use my wii but I still wanna get my gamecube fixed. I'll probably just do it by taking it apart on the weekend with my dad. I bet he'd enjoy that.

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Sorry I've been so inactive in the Skype chat, my phone stopped working with Skype completely and I can't sign in. Which means until I get my computer fixed, no Skype for me. If anything big happens in the chat, tell me.

Lon'qu

Smash Rookie
Sorry I've been so inactive in the Skype chat, my phone stopped working with Skype completely and I can't sign in. Which means until I get my computer fixed, no Skype for me. If anything big happens in the chat, tell me.
In the meantime, you can join us on discord.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
PLS HALP

I've been playing really **** lately and I dunno how to get back to how I was. It gets really frustrating seeing myself lose to people who play like they just got the game, especially considering how much time I've spent playing. I've not been able to practise nearly as much as I used to because of a massive spike in course work I've had to do. Any tips on getting back to how I was?

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
PLS HALP

I've been playing really **** lately and I dunno how to get back to how I was. It gets really frustrating seeing myself lose to people who play like they just got the game, especially considering how much time I've spent playing. I've not been able to practise nearly as much as I used to because of a massive spike in course work I've had to do. Any tips on getting back to how I was?
Quit FG lol

Seriously though, if you aren't playing very well you shouldn't play against newer players (new players are more likely to use very basic strategies, such as spamming Link's arrows and rollspamming). You might lose against some really bad players, which will only make you mad. This makes you play even worse, and the cycle repeats itself.

Try to play against better players or at least someone at relatively the same level to you, this way if you lose, you wont be as mad. But more than anything else, make sure you're having fun. If you are in a better mood you will play better.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Quit FG lol

Seriously though, if you aren't playing very well you shouldn't play against newer players (new players are more likely to use very basic strategies, such as spamming Link's arrows and rollspamming). You might lose against some really bad players, which will only make you mad. This makes you play even worse, and the cycle repeats itself.

Try to play against better players or at least someone at relatively the same level to you, this way if you lose, you wont be as mad. But more than anything else, make sure you're having fun. If you are in a better mood you will play better.
Yeah, I only go on fg when I ask for friendlies on the tink skype chat/roy discord server and no one replies. I really should use anther's ladder, idk why I haven't tried it yet

edit:
nvm, found a better solution

Last edited:

GreenT

Smash Rookie
PLS HALP

It happens to me too. Sometimes I don't play great, and I get frustrated, especially on for glory when I lose to newer players. Just keep playing and it will go away. What I do is I play with my good friend offline, who has around the same skill as me, and we get into the game eventually. I hope I'm of me help at least.

Last edited:

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
new players are more likely to use very basic strategies, such as spamming Link's arrows and rollspamming
Does this make FG bad for learning?
... No, in fact, it's quite the opposite. If you can't beat basic rollspam, it's quite obvious that you won't be able to beat players "smarter" than them.
Granted, it is noticeably more difficult to deal with projectile spam online, but if you claim to be the better player, why aren't you winning?

By the way, here are two posts that helped me improve the most with dealing with rollspam:
http://smashboards.com/threads/how-to-deal-with-a-rolling-opponent.375075/
http://smashboards.com/threads/best-ways-to-punish-rolls.376159/#post-18259166
Also remember, don't just keep going for hard reads. And play very, very patiently and very carefully.

Try to play against better players or at least someone at relatively the same level to you
Eyy! Now this is better. Maybe.
You need to also consider that the guy you're playing against who's on the same level as you... may be a WORSE player than the FG spammer.
Sure, they're doing things other than spamming, so like it because you think it's intelligent play. You guys play together, happy that you're able to consistently beat/lose to each other. The fact is, is that if you're having trouble beating FG scrubs, your partner probably has a hard time dealing with FG scrubs as well. You think you're on a higher level, when in reality, you are worse than the guys on FG.

Victors are going to be the people who played better in that round-- This is a FACT. The FG projectile spammer, however flowcharty and bad-looking as they may be, beat you. Why did they beat you?
-They found a way to deal with most tactics in the game, and you failed to figure out the counter-play in time.
-You got frustrated that you were "losing to the worse player" and started doing risky things, or started doing misinputs. (They have a psychological advantage over you, however unaware of it they might be)

lol, these are the two I can think of right now.

So people "just getting the game" found the optimal flowchart way to beat ~80% of people, and are beating you with said flowchart. It's natural that newer players will flowchart their way to victory-- it's a lot easier compared to the way higher-level players play the game. The problem with flowchart play is that flowcharting can only get you so far, and we realize this, so we abandon our flowchart ways.
Now, when we start out abandoning our flowchart play, we've literally abandoned everything we know about playing the game, except perhaps knowing your character's moveset, knowing how to move, typical tech, etc. etc. so it's natural that we lose to the flowcharters because when we choose to learn to play intelligently, we start out as worse players.
99% of us don't realize that we are worse players than them-- because after all, we've TRANSCENDED flowcharting, right? That must mean we're better players!
No, lol, you're just bad at playing Smash.

Anyway, just accept that these scrubs are better at playing Smash than you and learn from the mistakes you make in your matches.
If you can win against the "FG scrubs", then congrats, you're the better player. You've transcended flowcharting and reached the level at which you can beat these scrubs.

FG is not the 100% most optimal way to get better at the game. Of course, there's the stupid "FD only" rule, and the fact that people on FG are different from people in-tournament, but when you're playing FG players, you can still build fundamentals (and learn how to not get frustrated while playing).

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Um... I don't think I worded that very well

I usually have no trouble beating fg scrubs but suddenly I've started just making really poor decisions, it's not that I haven't been able to beat fg scrubs lately, it's that I haven't really been able to beat anyone lately. Any help?

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Um... I don't think I worded that very well

I usually have no trouble beating fg scrubs but suddenly I've started just making really poor decisions, it's not that I haven't been able to beat fg scrubs lately, it's that I haven't really been able to beat anyone lately. Any help?
Whenever I am getting frustrated with myself and I'm not playing well, I take a break from the game. Its unhealthy to do do something to the exclusion of everything else, and I doubt smash is the only thing you enjoy in life. Honestly, don't just take a break from smash, take a break from looking at screens. (Don't ruin your eyes like me)

When you get back into the game after your break (which doesn't not have to be a long break, 5-10 days is good), try to play against someone locally instead of online. Just have fun and you will notice how much better you are compared to before taking the break.

Last edited:

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Whenever I am getting frustrated with myself and I'm not playing well, I take a break from the game. Its unhealthy to do do something to the exclusion of everything else, and I doubt smash is the only thing you enjoy in life. Honestly, don't just take a break from smash, take a break from looking at screens. (Don't ruin your eyes like me)

When you get back into the game after your break (which doesn't not have to be a long break, 5-10 days is good), try to play against someone locally instead of online. Just have fun and you will notice how much better you are compared to before taking the break.
I might... but I'm not taking a break from looking at screens. I'll probably just play a **** ton of megaman x

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
I might... but I'm not taking a break from looking at screens. I'll probably just play a **** ton of megaman x
(Don't ruin your eyes like me)
Whatever man, I can't force you.
But legit tho, don't just say you're taking a break and then start playing again the next day. A week will help you a ton.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
oooooh, you can change the colour of the text you write in. dk how I didn't notice this until now, imma write in blue from now on

GreenT

Smash Rookie
Who are some of the best (notable) Toon Link players out there? I know of Hyuga, Zan, and a really good TL in Japan. anyone else?

Phobos_

Smash Rookie
Heh, you didn't seem to have much trouble beating me in FG on Wednesday (I think it was Wednesday) - we played three or four rounds - closest was the Tink ditto, but you seemed to take the others with ease!

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Heh, you didn't seem to have much trouble beating me in FG on Wednesday (I think it was Wednesday) - we played three or four rounds - closest was the Tink ditto, but you seemed to take the others with ease!
Yeah, I think I remember playing you. I remember versing a good blue tink and from your profile pic I'd assume that it was you. You definitely weren't a scrub though, I could see you were past the 'flowcharting' stage. I'll be taking a short break from smash as Halfy recommended but if you wanna 1v1 then I probably will be able to next weekend, just pm me if you do.

Phobos_

Smash Rookie
Yeah that was me :)
Thanks, I may indeed shoot you a PM - you're clearly further along than I am so I'm sure it'll help me improve :)

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Hey guys I asked a dumb question in the Q and A thread but I doubt people will answer it so I'm just gonna ask it here. How do you land JC bombs on people?

Everytime I pull a bomb, they just shield whenever I'm on the ground. You don't really any options to stop them shielding with a bomb in hand, they just shield my other projectiles. Only time I can land bombs is when I'm in the air or they're off-stage. You're on a timer with w bomb so they know they don't have to approach when I have it in my hand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Halfy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
megamatt1110
3DS FC
3110-6577-3691
Hey guys I asked a dumb question in the Q and A thread but I doubt people will answer it so I'm just gonna ask it here. How do you land JC bombs on people?

Everytime I pull a bomb, they just shield whenever I'm on the ground. You don't really any options to stop them shielding with a bomb in hand, they just shield my other projectiles. Only time I can land bombs is when I'm in the air or they're off-stage. You're on a timer with w bomb so they know they don't have to approach when I have it in my hand.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Jc throw bomb upwards, then grab.

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
I guess I'm a little late to introducing myself but I suppose this is the place to do it.

Hi! I'm a guy! And I like Toon Link!
(That didn't come out right...)
Ahem...I'm a Canadian dude who's loved playing Toon Link since early Brawl, but started competitively in Smash 4 since day 1. You can call me Moobs, my tag. I'd like to be a big contributor to this board since Toon Link has pretty much become my favourite video game character, period, and he's totally underused in this game, which I want to change.

I'd like sharing my favourite set I've ever had if that's alright. The entire set was pretty good but the last match was the most intense thing I have ever had to go through, especially since it was losers bracket.

https://youtu.be/34n_oirxe34 (7:58 if you just want Game 3)

My Skype name is Moobussir if you want to add me to the group chat. I don't use Skype a lot but I might after I join the chat. Other then that, hope to be great friends with you folks!

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
I guess I'm a little late to introducing myself but I suppose this is the place to do it.

Hi! I'm a guy! And I like Toon Link!
(That didn't come out right...)
Ahem...I'm a Canadian dude who's loved playing Toon Link since early Brawl, but started competitively in Smash 4 since day 1. You can call me Moobs, my tag. I'd like to be a big contributor to this board since Toon Link has pretty much become my favourite video game character, period, and he's totally underused in this game, which I want to change.

I'd like sharing my favourite set I've ever had if that's alright. The entire set was pretty good but the last match was the most intense thing I have ever had to go through, especially since it was losers bracket.

https://youtu.be/34n_oirxe34 (7:58 if you just want Game 3)

My Skype name is Moobussir if you want to add me to the group chat. I don't use Skype a lot but I might after I join the chat. Other then that, hope to be great friends with you folks!
lol... moobs

Moobussir

Smash Apprentice
So already, I'm in a bit of a situation, and Fox is Openly Deceptive recommended I ask here if anyone can help.

With the Smash Broadcast coming in 2-3 short days, I want to save the recordings on my 3DS before they become unplayable. However, the 3DS lacks a YouTube upload feature. Is there anyone here who has, or knows anyone who has a 3DS Capture Card or similar way to record footage directly from the system into a video? It's possible to send recordings online before the update rolls in, so if anyone is able to help me out, I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Top Bottom