• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Chat Waker - Toon Link social

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
Well, this place hasn't been very active. What did you all think of the leaked Hyrule Warriors 3DS trailer? I'm honestly pretty excited for it despite already owning the Wii U version. Of course that mostly has to do with the new characters. I think the additional mechanic that seemingly allows you to switch characters via the touch screen is a pretty neat inclusion too.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
The trailer... I'm excited for the 3DS version too. Loved the Wii U version, except Adventure Mode. And the touch screen mechanic is quite nice too.

LotadAlittle

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BillyWhizz
Although I am excited for it I hate how i don't want to get spoiled yet i will unless I just spend the next week or so not going online on youtube/social media. I figured i would get spoiled either way so i just watched Etika's video.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
Why does tl eat diddy kong alivelol? easily our 2nd best mu out of the good characters.
same reason oli does can bombard with projectiles and force him to approach easily

I don't know if this is just my opinion but I think link is better than tink in proj M

@Artemis the buffs for toon link would being able to use moves faster out of bomb throw and boomerang dair to bounce when hit confirm, d smash more kill power and/or damage, faster bair, one percent earlier kill

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Watching the chocolate factory smash tourney on rushhoursmash stream and a Toon Link named Biddy made it to winners semis and took out Keitaro along the way. Anyone know where he came from? :laugh:

Knife8193

Smash Journeyman
NNID
omar8193
Thinking about using Gay. Are there any MUs that Gay compliments Link in? As for top tiers, I feel Gay does better than Link (but still loses) to Sheik, Luigi, and Fox while Link does better than Gay (but still loses) to Rosalina, Mario, and Sonic for example.

Close combat game is different enough to have to completely spend time learning, but camp and spam stuff transfers easily.

D

Deleted member

So what do you guys think of the leaks?
Personally I'm pretty hyped for Roy. I love playing as him in Melee (even though I suck with him lol), and he looks like he'll be even more fun in Smash 4. Also Lucas looks like he'll be really good imo. Especially with his recovery going so far, which I don't remember it going that far in Brawl. Also I can definitely see Dreamland being an absolutely amazing stage for Gay

Last edited by a moderator:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Lucas 100%. I haven't seen any gameplay footage, so I don't know but I hope Lucas's hair is more... Fluid than in his trailer. Other than that, I'll just have to use him in action myself.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
After seeing this,
Seems like they nerfed Toon Link's back throw? Can anyone confirm?
I checked the launch distance and compared it to Artemis' and it actually increased. I got 26ft at 0% and 91ft at 100%, both tested on Greninja.

D

Deleted member

Got to try out Roy today, he's so fun. Meanwhile Gay has been ****ed by the patch... So tempted to drop him tbh, but I'm going to stick with him anyway. Just sucks that so much cool stuff got removed and we got no buffs.
After seeing this, I checked the launch distance and compared it to Artemis' and it actually increased. I got 26ft at 0% and 91ft at 100%, both tested on Greninja.
I tested on Mario, not Greninja.

PSIBoy

Smash Lord
Got to try out Roy today, he's so fun. Meanwhile Gay has been ****ed by the patch... So tempted to drop him tbh, but I'm going to stick with him anyway. Just sucks that so much cool stuff got removed and we got no buffs.

I tested on Mario, not Greninja.
Can I ask how he was nerfed?

ColeSon

Smash Rookie
Toon Link main here. Anybody have an idea of the nerfs/buffs we experienced in the latest patch?

Thanks.

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Toon Link main here. Anybody have an idea of the nerfs/buffs we experienced in the latest patch?

Thanks.
I very briefly tested his moveset earlier and I didn't find anything but Artemis said she found he was overall nerfed in this patch.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
I got roy my boy and lucas with some mucus
would of got ryu but didn't feel like it my brother might get it

Lucas pk thunder sends him a really good distance but a bit slower so can't really hit anyone as easy as ness to get them disrespect kills his fire don't go as far his rest of moveset is good range

Roy feels faster than marth and not as awkward so I can manage and I might main him

So my character a are roy, pika, tink, lucario, and lucas

Tink feels a bit different slower with his moves or something can't put my finger on it or it might just be placebo same with ness

But how does everyone feel about the update so far

Moffe

Smash Apprentice
I'm really sad bout the boomerang glide. Was one of my main tools on bf and sv, especially vs certain hard matchups >_<

After getting another nerf and looking at link buffs I get the feeling of letting toon go at first, but I won't give up just right yet. One more nerf and I might.

I think losing an important AT sucks much more than losing a % or some knock back, due to the character being less fun due to lack of movement or moves..

Now we have at least 4-5 important ATs down the drain from vanilla sm4sh. This is getting dangerous I think for the game. Most of the techs are for aggressive use, which kind of helps on balancing out the majorly defensive play in this game. If they continue doing this stuff I dunno if i will keep playing competitively

Last edited:

Mota

"The snake, knowing itself, strikes swiftly"
Toon Links moveset seems the same to me. Damage numbers anyways

Feels like Sakurai forgets TL even exists just like most smash players lol

EDIT: Is TLs fast fall or aerial speed different?

Last edited:

-Champ-

Smash Apprentice
Toon Links moveset seems the same to me. Damage numbers anyways

Feels like Sakurai forgets TL even exists just like most smash players lol

EDIT: Is TLs fast fall or aerial speed different?
Yeah I thought i was the only one, he feels heavier and like he has less air mobility

D

Deleted member

Guys, while it's great that no one is littering the board with unnecessary threads, patch stuff deserve their own threads to keep things more organized. No one is going to think of checking the social thread for patch notes. I'd make the thread myself, but I've already made too many threads on this board. Also, I just checked, bthrow is untouched.
Artemis said she
Me? Didn't you call me a guy before? I don't care too much what you want to call me, but it's a little confusing if you don't pick something and sticking with it. :p

So any other stages you guys want to see come back other than Dreamland?
Personally I'd love it if Saffron City, Fountain of Dreams, and Hanenbow were brought back. Pokemon Stadium would also be nice to have back as a counterpick, and would make sense since we have PS1 but not PS2.

CURRY

Smash Journeyman
I've been in the UK with a tour group for over half a week now, with spotty WiFi everywhere.....
Scottish tap water is so great.
Yeppp so I'm going to sleep right after this post. Hi guys.
I'm missing SO much, evidently. One week before I come back to the US and catch up on EVERYTHING. lol.
Ryu will probably be nerfed once I get back ;___;

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Guys, while it's great that no one is littering the board with unnecessary threads, patch stuff deserve their own threads to keep things more organized. No one is going to think of checking the social thread for patch notes. I'd make the thread myself, but I've already made too many threads on this board. Also, I just checked, bthrow is untouched.
I'm checking this thread of patch info about Toon Link :)

Saike

Smash Rookie
Hi, I've been wanting to find some good, or experienced Toon Link players to practice with, or share ideas, tips, or tricks.

Skype name is TriangularKelp

Anyway, you guys can just call me Sai.
I main Toon Link, but I also like to playing Ike, Roy, Marth, Ganondorf, and a couple of others on Smash 4.
I draw often and it's one of my main hobbies. I mainly do digital and/or pixel art.

I'm actually not a huge Zelda fan or anything, but I do respect the games and franchise as a whole. I use Toon Link because I took a liking to how he played in Brawl and his broken mechanics were also a nice touch. Aside from some major nerfs, he remains relatively unchanged, so I stuck with him into Smash 4.

Last edited:

Dɛαd

ヽ(=^・ω・^=)丿
NNID
Dead_MK
3DS FC
3539-9682-8374
Hi, I've been wanting to find some good, or experienced Toon Link players to practice with, or share ideas, tips, or tricks.

Skype name is sai.kayden
You'll probably see a saikayden in the search, but that's my old account that I forgot the password to, so you'll never see a response from that one.

I main Toon Link, but I also like to playing Ike, Roy, Marth, Ganondorf, and a couple of others on Smash 4.
I draw often and it's one of my main hobbies. I mainly do digital and/or pixel art.

I'm actually not a huge Zelda fan or anything, but I do respect the games and franchise as a whole. I use Toon Link because I took a liking to how he played in Brawl and his broken mechanics were also a nice touch. Aside from some major nerfs, he remains relatively unchanged, so I stuck with him into Smash 4.
Welcome aboard!

Add my Skype so I can add you in the Skype chat. Celtics_alxxx

Last edited:

PSIBoy

Smash Lord

Skype name is TriangularKelp

Welcome to Smashboards and the Toon Link boards! Hope you enjoy your stay!

I actually like to draw myself, albeit by hand. Mainly Earthbound/Mother stuff, but I've varied some. I also like to use Roy and Ganon myself. We have a bit in common.

Mota

Personally I'd love it if Saffron City, Fountain of Dreams, and Hanenbow were brought back. Pokemon Stadium would also be nice to have back as a counterpick, and would make sense since we have PS1 but not PS2.
I've been saying for years that they should bring back Hyrule Castle 64. Easily my most favourite stage from 64. Almost exploded when tey announced it was coming back.
Hyrule Temple has been in 3 Smash games and not Hyrule Castle :mad:.

Retlaf

Smash Apprentice
Since maining toonlink in November, I've always been on the fence about which character is better between him and link in this version of smash, and now that the game has been out for a while, it might be time to figure it out!

I still go back and forth, so I don't really know, but here are my thoughts:

Main obvious differences: Link hits harder, but has worse frame data. Lives longer, but has a bigger hurtbox. Has more range, but less mobility. Looking at these differences in a vacuum, the obvious theory crafted conclusion would be that toonlink is better (just like diddy is better than donkey). But link players have proven over and over that he has lots of strong options and mixups, and heavies are better in this game than they've ever been.

Regarding the toonlink vs link matchup, I say it's 50/50. Usually toonlink can depend on spamming bombs to go through or stop every projectile, but links bombs go through toonlink's bombs. ie, things that are usually guaranteed to be safe for toonlink are no longer safe in this matchup. But, he makes up for it by being harder for bombs to hit, and link is easier to hit with bombs (talking about their relative hurtbox sizes). Link will win spacing wars every time with his longer sword, but toonlink will win up close due to his frame data being better across the board (except for one move, forget which, might be dair). They tend to end each others' stocks at roughly the same %s. Link has more kill moves, but they are more punishable (like with most heavies). Toonlink seems to float out of link's jab combos unless they connect point blank (can't say for certain the links weren't messing up though). Toonlink seems to have a larger number of safe kill options: utilt -> uair true combo; mid-range bomb or boomerang -> fair/uair; back throw; and returning boomerang frame trap. All his unsafe kill options are also options link has, except they kill later and are more safe.

Regarding link or toonlink versus other characters, this seems to be where toonlink has an edge. In general, using my secondaries, I have a much easier time against link than toonlink, AND the skill level of the links I play against are higher (unfortunately, this anecdotal evidence has a massive flaw: I have more matchup experience fighting link).

For disadvantaged matchups, both characters appear weak to the same general play style: ultra good frame-data rushdown. But toonlink has more counterplay against this: he is both smaller and faster in every way, so escaping rushdown is more feasible. Regarding their advantaged matchups, I can't imagine it matters - if they can both play their game, I don't think it makes much of a difference that link has more strong moves to frame trap with. Maybe in matchups that toonlink wins, link wins harder, but in matchups that link loses, toonlink probably does not lose as hard.

A more interesting (and difficult) question would be: are there any matchups that one wins/loses, but the other does not? Conjecturally speaking, maybe diddy: his banana plays a big part in his game, and link is more susceptible to it. Toonlink is fast enough to run up and grab it out of the air if diddy isn't careful where he pulls it out from. Toonlinks can also outrun JC tosses at certain distances that link cannot. Toonlink's floatyness makes him less afraid of diddy's throw follow ups.

Looking at it the other way, I can't think of one specifically, but a theoretical matchup that link would win where toonlink would not would be a situation where link's longer range prevents someone from getting in on him, but toonlink has trouble keeping out (perhaps Roy?).

So, which character of the two do YOU think comes out on top in smash 4? Are there any matchups that you think one of the links does notably better in than the other?

Disfunkshunal

Manners Maketh Man
NNID
Disfunkshunal
3DS FC
1848-1876-3249
Me? Didn't you call me a guy before? I don't care too much what you want to call me, but it's a little confusing if you don't pick something and sticking with it. :p

Not sure, if I did, my mistake.

incrediblej

Smash Apprentice
I've been in the UK with a tour group for over half a week now, with spotty WiFi everywhere.....
Scottish tap water is so great.
Yeppp so I'm going to sleep right after this post. Hi guys.
I'm missing SO much, evidently. One week before I come back to the US and catch up on EVERYTHING. lol.
Ryu will probably be nerfed once I get back ;___;
Yea ryu and lucas will not go unnoticed in next patch or there might be one soon

I don't have ryu but I've been hearing he has alot of combo and kill setups so he might get toned down either in kill power or damage output

Lucas has his "chaingrab" by using d throw -> footstool -> dair -> and I think grab and repeat or tilt the grab and repeat, there's also a combo that goes d throw -> footstool -> down b(to cancel footstool momentum) -> fair sour spot -> f tilt -> up smash that goes for 44% if they have freshness bonus not sure what the least damage is and

Roy only has the jigs kill so I think he'll go with out a scratch since you need to reverse up b and have very high rage

Last edited:

Mota

I don't have ryu but I've been hearing he has alot of combo and kill setups so he might get toned down either in kill power or damage outputLucas
Ryu looks pretty good, great fram data. A lot of potential with his extended moveset. Some combo setups

With all the Link buffs (dthrow combos *salivates*), I'm expecting a Toon Link buff eventually. He's definitely due for one.

Scamper52596

Smash Lord
Premium
With all the Link buffs (dthrow combos *salivates*), I'm expecting a Toon Link buff eventually. He's definitely due for one.
Definitely. It seems that a few of the higher tiered characters got nerfs in the previous patches, and in the latest patch they mostly focused on giving lower tiered characters some significant buffs. Hopefully they'll give Toon Link some much needed attention next time around.

Top Bottom