• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Charming Schemer of the Golden Deer: Claude Von Reigan

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)
download (2).jpeg

Claude Von Riegan: The Verdant Wind of the Leicester Alliance

"Yet we have the strength to scale the walls between us... To reach out our hands in friendship so we can open our true hearts to one another! That's how we win!"

Who?: Claude von Riegan is the leader of the Golden Deer classroom in Garreg Mach Officer’s Academy. He is the heir to the noble family of the Leicester Alliance, a nation that needs neither king nor emperor. Discriminated against by both Almyra and Leicester (bearing heritage from both nations), Claude developed a desire to end Fódlan’s long-standing isolationism in favor of a world where all of its people are treated as equal beings.

Importance to Nintendo: (Refer to Byleth)

Intro: Claude jumps off from his wyvern and gets into stance.

Stance/Idle 1: His pre-timeskip default stance from Three Houses.

Idle 2: Claude brushes back his hair with his left hand.

Idle 3: Claude puts his arrow in its holster and cracks his knuckles while yawning.

Notable Palette Swaps: Lorenz (pre-TS), Raphael (post-TS), Ignatz (post-TS), Lysithea (post-TS), Marianne (pre-TS), Hilda (pre-TS), Leonie (post-TS)

Walk: Claude walks with his hands behind his head, arrow in his pocket.

Dash: His running animation from Three Houses.

Damage: His damage animation from Three Houses.

Jump: A normal human jump, followed by a spinning double jump.

Crouch: Claude crouches down like a normal person, arrow in his right hand still.

Weapon of Choice: The Failnaught bow, a Hero’s Relic tied to Claude’s Crest of Reigan (refer to Byleth for energy consumption). When it runs out of energy, Claude will switch to an Iron Bow.

A,A,A: A jab with his arrow, another with his bow, and then an arrow shot (14% with Failnaught, OK knockback; 11% with Iron Bow, small knockback)
Forward+A: Claude thrusts his arrow forward (12% with Failnaught, OK knockback; 9% with Iron Bow, small knockback)
Down+A: Claude throws an arrow from the ground (8%, small knockback)
Up+A: Claude thrusts his arrow upward (9%, small knockback)

Air+A: Claude swings his bow in a 360o spin (15% with Failnaught, OK knockback; 11% with Iron Bow, OK knockback)
Air Forward+A: Claude swings his bow forward (16% with Failnaught, medium knockback; 12% with Iron Bow, OK knockback)
Air Back + A: Claude turns upside down and fires an arrow (15% with Failnaught, OK knockback; 9% with Iron Bow, small knockback)
Air Up+A: Claude twirls his arrow around (8%, small knockback)
Air Down+A: Claude fires an arrow, which slightly pushes him upwards (14% with Failnaught, OK knockback; 9% with Iron Bow, small knockback)

Dash Attack: Claude hops into the air and does a brief knee jab with his right knee (13%, OK knockback)
Edge Attack: Claude does a low sweep with his left foot (9%, small knockback)

Smash Moves
Forward+A: Claude fires a powerful arrow shot (24% with Failnaught, medium knockback; 16% with Iron Bow, OK knockback). You can slightly angle the shot with the control stick.
Up+A: Claude fires three arrows at once (9% per hit with Failnaught, medium knockback; 5% per hit with Iron Bow, OK knockback)
Down+A: Claude swings his bow in a downward 360o spin (21% with Failnaught, medium knockback; 17% with Iron Bow, OK knockback)

Grab: Claude grabs the opponent with his bow.
Pummel: Claude butts the opponent with the rear end of his arrow (5%)
Forwards+Throw: Claude shoots his opponent out of his arrow like a bow (17% with Failnaught, OK knockback; 14% with Iron Bow, OK knockback)
Down+Throw: Claude simply pushes down the opponent (14%, OK knockback)
Back+Throw: Claude kicks the opponent behind him (10%, small knockback)
Up+Throw: Claude spins around twice and chucks the opponent out of his bow (13%, OK knockback)

Special Moves

B : Gambit Battalion; Starting off with about 50 Battalion Endurance, Claude can command archers, who perform three types of situational attacks.
B + Forwards : Encloser; Claude prepares a shot with a purple aura, and a successful hit will briefly stun the opponent (22% with Failnaught, medium knockback after 3 seconds; 17% with Iron Bow, OK knockback after 2 seconds). With Failnaught only, you can charge further for a more powerful shot (30%, far knockback), but you can’t cancel out of it. Once it fires, it takes off a huge chunk of Failnaught’s energy.
B + Up : Curved Shot; Claude aims his bow behind himself that sends him flying at a 90o angle (21% with Failnaught, medium knockback; 15% with Iron Bow, OK knockback)
B + Down : Charming Bouquet; Claude tosses a bouquet of flowers in front of him, lowering the enemy’s defense by a quarter (half with female fighters), and raising his allies’ attack by a quarter (double with female fighters). If it gets reflected onto Claude, he will be hit with a flower effect.

Final Smash: Fallen Stardust; Claude fires an arrow with a red aura, and opponents hit will be sent into a cutscene where Claude’s battalion uses Ashes and Dust, and then Claude finishes off with a final arrow blast after spinning around and aligning the other arrows into a spiral (62%, far knockback)

Gimmick: Crest of Riegan; restores damage equal to 30% damage dealt when using Encloser.

Failnaught Energy: (refer to Byleth)

Battalions:

>Fusillade (5 EP): A rain of arrows diagonally downwards in whatever direction Claude is facing. It has a moderate chance of a meteor effect, but only on characters with wings (16%, medium knockback)

>Rose Arrows (7 EP): Roses rain down and inflict a flower effect on opponents (15%)

>Posion Arrows (8 EP): Arrows rain down from above and poison anyone in range (18%, OK knockback). Any arrow that lands on an opponent’s shield depletes it faster, and spews out smaller poison onto the opponent (9%) when the shield breaks.

Taunts:

1: Claude puts his bow on his back and blows a kiss with his left hand.
2: “You guys done yet?” Claude sticks out his arrow hand and lifts up his head.
1+2: Claude puts his hand on his hip and laughs nonchalantly.

Winposes:

1: “That’s the Golden Deer for ya!” His victory animation from Three Houses.
2: “First time?” Claude drinks a cup of tea sitting at a fancy snack table.
3: “Not ‘luck’. Just fate.” Claude stretches out his right arm and faces the camera.

Icon: The Falchion

Boxing Ring Title: The Charming Schemer

Victory Music: Fódlan Winds (pre-timeskip), Indomitable Will (post-timeskip)

Kirby Hat: Claude’s hair

UPDATE: Classic Mode now added

Claude: Attack from Far Away (faces opponents who focus on range attacks for their specials)
Stage 1: :ultpit:on :skyworld: (Fódlan Winds (Rain))
Stage 2: :ultsamus::ultpiranha:on Brinstar, free-for-all (Multiplayer 1 (Metroid Prime 2: Echoes))
Stage 3: :ultsimon:on :eldin: (Crimean Army Sortie)
Stage 4: :ultsnake::ultbayonetta1:on Umbra Clock Tower, team battle with :ultbayonetta: (Jeanne alt.) (Out of Time)
Stage 5: :ultinkling::ultinklingboy:(x14) on :pirateship: (Tempest of Seasons (Rain))
Stage 6: :ultrobin:on Kalos League (Together, We Ride)
Boss: Marx
Arguments in favor of Claude
+
Loved by a good number of fans
+Unique moveset inherently, much like Byleth
+Charismatic personality
+One of three unique main characters you can choose for your journey through the game.
+Three Houses won Best Strategy RPG at the Game Awards 2019.
+Three Houses sold over 2,000,000 copies worldwide as of September 2019.

Arguments against Claude
-
Another FE character
-Not the central character
-Has competition against Edelgard, Dimitri, and Byleth
-Mostly generic design for an FE character
-Byleth is in the game and wields Failnaught
-Is now a background character in the Garreg Mach Monastery stage

Join the Golden Deer House today!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
i support, i think we need to cut some of the fe characters but i support none the less

Mogisthelioma

Smash Master
I think Claude has the most potential for a unique moveset. He could utilize wyverns, bows, axes, swordplay, and maybe have a batallion as a final Smash (god forbid a comeback mechanic)

Nonno Umby

Smash Lord
NNID
Nonno_Umby
Switch FC
SW 5218 5477 4500
I'm more an Edelgard fan, but Claude is my second favourite character in 3H and probably in the whole series. Count me in!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The wave 3 DLC came out, and it includes the Sauna, finally.

And how fitting that Claude is in it, lol.

SSBCandidates

Smash Lord
I do not believe the "color of his skin" should be a factor for a character to be elegible for Smash. As Sakurai said, the important thing is that they are good characters as they are.

Main positive factors should be that he is not a sword users and that he is the most charismatic of the "main lords" whom you may chose to side on in the game.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Hard time picturing him in his canon classes on a Wyvern in Smash. Doesn't help that he also doesn't ride wyverns in any of the cutscenes. Unless you want to make him a bow user only? Which would be fine with me honestly. Claude is a cool character. But still I like Dimitri better.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Triple post, but...turns out that date was actually the date for the proper announcement:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
What could this mean?! What did they reveal the last time?

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Nothing, really. It was made thinking that Three Houses would already have been out, before it was delayed.
Suddenly a new Fire Emblem Echoes gets announced that uses the Three Houses engine but is a reworked FE6. In which you as the avatar personally teach Roy at the academy of Ostia, where there's a whole new proluque to the game before Lycia gets invaded with characters as Roy, Liliana, Wolt, Alan, Lance, Bors, Wendy, Oujay, and maybe some others that would make sense to be there. Hector could also be an occasional teacher, so could Cecilia, and maybe Klein or Pent or someone. Your Teacher would take up more of a role similar to FE12's My Unit, and not like Robin, Corrin and Byleth. This to make Roy shine more. Or you simply control Roy, and take specific classes to master specific skills. Or something. I dunno it would just be cool as ****.

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Claude! My muse, my flame. Before the game's release, Edelgard seemed like a character that was tailor-made for me but I was wrong. I want this Sob more than the other three but I'll be satisfied with any of them tbqh.

Sign me up.

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
"Yet we have the strength to scale the walls between us... To reach out our hands in friendship so we can open our true hearts to one another! That's how we win!"

This is such an inspiring quote...I think I'll post it in the OP.
he certainly had the nicest motive out of the three house heads

Perkilator

Smash Legend
So here are some really good points made in the Edelgard support thread about all three lords and Rhea:

You know what's funny? Claude also does something similar in these giant leaps of faith with an iron broadsword in the Citizens of the East clip. This clip also shows one of the only two characters with confirmed arrow-timing reactions, that being Claude himself and Nemesis, which is why I start the clip there.

All of the main Lords, Byleth included, have their fair share of amazing feats either through in-game lore or cutscenes.

For Strength? Dimitri (excluding the Sword of the Creator)
For Durability? Rhea
For reaction Speed? Claude
For Hax and OP abilities? Edelgard.

Thats why any VS Debate uses Standard Battle Assumptions, SBAs, whatever you wanna call 'em. Basically we're just assuming we're in a field where no one has an advantage, both are bloodlusted, and they're within 10 meters of each other. From that alone on a 1v1, we can pretty much tell who will win.

We're not trying to assume who wins canonically, we're assuming who wins based on what the authors give us and that alone. Plot can give anyone a chance. Hell, plot manipulation is an actual ability for some of these characters, like the dude with All Fiction in Medaka Box.
Also, here's some enlightenment:
sleep: wanting dimitri because he's a "generic lord" what the **** does that even mean

woke: wanting edelgard because axe + antagonist

ascended: wanting claude because wyvern archer

Perkilator

Smash Legend
Three Houses won Best Strategy RPG at the Game Awards! And Claude's English VA is proud!

D

Deleted member

I plan to choose Golden Deers when I get to play Three Houses.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
Reaction: Claude, Edelgard and Dimitri all came at once as their own separate DLC fighters, and you get one of the three for free by beating their respective route.
my reaction would annoyed due to yet another character i cant stand getting in

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
I always sort of questioned why after the first few chapters all the students surnames starting with 'von' don't get used as their full surname anymore. They always talk about the family names as if 'von' isn't in front of it anymore. Also, they really overused 'von' for surnames. Nothing about this game, or Fôdlan screams German except for Edelgard's imperialism.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I always sort of questioned why after the first few chapters all the students surnames starting with 'von' don't get used as their full surname anymore. They always talk about the family names as if 'von' isn't in front of it anymore. Also, they really overused 'von' for surnames. Nothing about this game, or Fôdlan screams German except for Edelgard's imperialism.
well "von" means "of" so its mostly referring to where theyre from and with the political upheaval and great changes through out the lad due to the war people might not be able they are of the same place

either that or its a slight over sight

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The official JP FE Twitter posted this pic, and Claude is the closest to the camera!

Happy New Year!

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The latest popularity poll results are in, and Claude is apparently 3rd place on this list.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
The latest popularity poll results are in, and Claude is apparently 3rd place on this list.
well at least hes not the least popular of the three

Night Gale

Smash Ace
Okay we didn't get a playable Claude but we got Failnaught, a Claude color swap, a stage cameo, and a Claude spirit. Close enough damn it!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
typical out of all the golden deer students to be in the background one of them just had to be my least favourite

Top Bottom