• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social The Charizard Social: Merry Switchmas!

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Ever since I've been able to modify my equipment supply in Smash 3DS, I did design a Charizard customization with the modified equipment.

Basically, this customization improves Charizard's air speed and traction (two things that it's normally bad with), but for the price of weakening its mid-air jumps. However, the weakened mid-air jumps penalty is pretty much countered by Fly High and its long vertical travel distance, so you could still recover low if you don't waste the mid-air jumps too quickly.

Last edited:

charizardbro

Smash Apprentice
Ever since I've been able to modify my equipment supply in Smash 3DS, I did design a Charizard customization with the modified equipment.

Basically, this customization improves Charizard's air speed and traction (two things that it's normally bad with), but for the price of weakening its mid-air jumps. However, the weakened mid-air jumps penalty is pretty much countered by Fly High and its long vertical travel distance, so you could still recover low if you don't waste the mid-air jumps too quickly.
Interesting setup. Did you add the weakened double jumps in order to make up for giving Zard traction and better airspeed?

If you can quantify how much airspeed that thing gives Zard and you feel like doing a little labbing, go try Dthrow -> PP Bair on Sheik and DI away with your toe at about 60% (or whatever the new max percent is) and tell me if that kills with good DI on the hit. I want that combo to be worth mastering so bad but it just isn't. Not for me, anyway.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Interesting setup. Did you add the weakened double jumps in order to make up for giving Zard traction and better airspeed?

If you can quantify how much airspeed that thing gives Zard and you feel like doing a little labbing, go try Dthrow -> PP Bair on Sheik and DI away with your toe at about 60% (or whatever the new max percent is) and tell me if that kills with good DI on the hit. I want that combo to be worth mastering so bad but it just isn't. Not for me, anyway.
The thing is, the Double-Jump Drag X Attack offers a very low penalty for the defense stat. If I went with the generic Sixfold X Attack (or Gold Fake Nails) instead, at best I can legally have +85 attack and -42 defense; the defense stat would be lower.

Anyway, because Charizard has two mid-air jumps, I would think that it wouldn't be hindered too much by the weakened mid-air jumps, since it's not like it ascends very high with them under default conditions.

Sadly, I don't have anything to say about your other input, since I'm not really a competitive player.

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
So i was labbing with charizard doing jumpcancelled rocksmashes when i noticed something pretty interesting.
When you do a jump cancelled rocksmash and you slide off of a ledge you can change your aerial momentum allowing you to freely move left and right in the air while rocksmashing.
I suppose this trick is already well known, but it took me by surprise and ill see how to implement it in my edgeguarding.

Last edited:

SkyboundTerror

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SkyboundTerror
3DS FC
0559-6972-5367
I totally didn't forget about drawing or anything.

A sketch. I may redo this, though I want to keep the idea.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
Guys I have one question for you:
If you could choose one more Aerial (Uair, Bair or Dair) to Autocancel in a SH, what would you choose?

I might choose Dair. Since Charizard gets plenty of new combos and some kill confirms at hand.
He could potentially combo SH Dair into Bair, Uair or Up B for a kill confirm.
I'm not sure how much better he will be if that ever happens, but I feel like he might be improved.

Last edited:

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
I would choose either uair or bair.

Falling uair confirms would be amazing, sh bair on the other hand would be cheesy and one hell of a spacing tool.

SmashRacer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
SmashRacer
Yeah I considered Bair first. That attack covers so much range.
But at a later time I changed it to Dair, since I think it will improve him just a bit more.
Getting SH Bair, I think will improve his spacing and neutral just a bit.
SH Dair will improve his combo game and kill power

Last edited:

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
Patch is up, downloading it right now.
I'll be labbing zard on the 3ds version

Edit: all his moves deal the same percents as before, i can't say for sure if any endlag or startup has been changed.

Last edited:

Jmacz

Smash Journeyman
NNID
aWildJmacz
Finally I actually have my own Wii U, I don't have to go to my friends house to practice anymore! Maybe now I can start seeing some improvement in my game.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
This board is not very active I see.... we need moar Charizard fans!
Btw, hi, I am finally starting to really have fun in this game with my favorite Pokémon and decided to come by to say hi.
Hi.

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
I'm officially a new Charizard fan. I normally play fast, swift-striking characters. Thus I do not tend to favor the slow heavies like Ganondorf, Dedede, Bowser, DK, and so on; but of all the heavies I've found Charizard to be very fun. Furthermore, Charizard developed an image early on in For Glory that became associated with scrubs. Many of them would SD with Flare Blitz and had no idea what they were doing. Flare Blitz is actually an amazing move that has clinched me the win in some games (when used unpredictably), but I've also enjoyed exploring all of the moves Charizard has at his disposal and taking some wins by putting in real effort while using him. He feels great to control, so I definitely intend to either secondary or MAIN him in the near future! Winning with him is very satisfying.

Last edited:

Jazzasaur

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingofSnorlax
3DS FC
1934-1786-2430
Great to see new Charizard mains and fans here! Hello and welcome! Shame this board doesn't get that much activity, so its always great when there is some.

Going to be taking Charizard alongside Kirby to my first ever tournaments, due to just how much fun I have playing them, whenever I get around to doing so. Hope I can make y'all proud!

:006:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
Best of luck to you both~

-

Currently doing a Nuzlocke in Red for old times sake. After a pretty rocky (pun not intended) start, I managed to beat the first gym using only :005: thanks to some hella clutch RNG (crit Ember + Burn in the same turn). Whilst I was hoping on not relying on him too much, I didn't have much choice once half my team got haxxed (Sand Attack/crit Gust all day). Now hoping he makes it to :006: -hood, if not making it all the way to the end.

Jazzasaur

Smash Cadet
NNID
KingofSnorlax
3DS FC
1934-1786-2430

-

Currently doing a Nuzlocke in Red for old times sake. After a pretty rocky (pun not intended) start, I managed to beat the first gym using only :005: thanks to some hella clutch RNG (crit Ember + Burn in the same turn). Whilst I was hoping on not relying on him too much, I didn't have much choice once half my team got haxxed (Sand Attack/crit Gust all day). Now hoping he makes it to :006: -hood, if not making it all the way to the end.
Thank you so much, I'll try my best!

Good luck with the Nuzlocke challenge, hopefully :005: will make it all the way through to :006: and the end! Hope all goes well with the run!

Too much of a wimp to try the challenge myself haha, love my Pokemon too much to try something like it!

Going to be picking up one of the classics on the 3DS soon, once I've got the credits. Not sure which version to pick though haha.

Metallinatus

Smash Lord
I'm officially a new Charizard fan. I normally play fast, swift-striking characters. Thus I do not tend to favor the slow heavies like Ganondorf, Dedede, Bowser, DK, and so on; but of all the heavies I've found Charizard to be very fun. Furthermore, Charizard developed an image early on in For Glory that became associated with scrubs. Many of them would SD with Flare Blitz and had no idea what they were doing. Flare Blitz is actually an amazing move that has clinched me the win in some games (when used unpredictably), but I've also enjoyed exploring all of the moves Charizard has at his disposal and taking some wins by putting in real effort while using him. He feels great to control, so I definitely intend to either secondary or MAIN him in the near future! Winning with him is very satisfying.
How to SuiSide B right: :4bowser::4ganondorf:
How to SuiSide B wrong: :4charizard::4littlemac::yeahboi:

Great to see new Charizard mains and fans here! Hello and welcome! Shame this board doesn't get that much activity, so its always great when there is some.

Going to be taking Charizard alongside Kirby to my first ever tournaments, due to just how much fun I have playing them, whenever I get around to doing so. Hope I can make y'all proud!

:006:
It's funny that Charizard (and Bowser) was that character I wanted since Smash 64, and Kirby was the character that I mained because of the lack of the fire-spitting fellas.... and I mained him also in Melee and Brawl, where Charizard became probably my third most used character.... I loved to play them, but 4 came in and I just couldn't have fun with them anymore.... until recently.
I am using both of them a lot more now :)

-

You are an insane man for going Nuzlocke Charmeleon only against Brock, man, insane man, I tell you.
Some years ago I decided to go Nuzlocke in Pokémon Yellow, and everything was going well, but I never finished that playthrough for some reason....
Well, might re-do it someday.

HakuryuVision

Smash Journeyman
NNID
HakuryuVision
You are an insane man for going Nuzlocke Charmeleon only against Brock, man, insane man, I tell you.
Some years ago I decided to go Nuzlocke in Pokémon Yellow, and everything was going well, but I never finished that playthrough for some reason....
Well, might re-do it someday.
I always succesfully did that with a charmeleon in red & fire-red.
...did always grind a lot before trying though.

(also never tried my hands on a nuzlocke)

/Lucina

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Katsie
So is back air really powerful enough even with the sweet-fire to justify the tremendous end lag? It's the hardest move for me to throw out efficiently.

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
Bair is a pretty decent edgeguard tool as it's range is ridiculous, kills early and is tied with uair for the quickest FAF out of zard's aerials. You can also use it to space out of a full hop and it is in general a decent air to air combat tool.

as for using it out of a short hop, try to think of it more as a faster and safer F-smash than as an aerial.

So yeah i think is worth it as long as you don't hit the sourspot and use it sparingly.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
It's one of those moves I almost never use, but always remember that I have. I only use it for hard reads and punishes - but it's really rewarding when I get them.

I do under-utilize it as an edgeguarding tool, but I suppose that's because I don't try to edgeguard with anything aside from Flamethrower as much as I should. I actually ought to break that habit, since decent players tend to figure out to deal with Flamthrower pretty quickly.

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
I'm labbing the reverse U-smash lock at the moment.

It seems to not work on some characters, ill edit in a list once i'm done testing.

Edit:

So i found out that there are 3 groups of characters.

:4bowser::4bowserjr::4charizard::4dedede::4metaknight::4dk::4rob::4pacman:: These characters can always be locked by u-smash.

:4zss::4littlemac:: can't be locked by u-smash.

The rest can only be locked by u-smash during the missed tech ground bounce animation. They cannot be locked while prone.

I did not test the miis, because trying with each different weight and height would be tiresome, nor :4feroy::4ryu::4corrin::4cloud:, because im a cheapskate.

Last edited:

Charey

Smash Apprentice
Actually you can reverse up-smash lock :4littlemac: and :4zss:, but it's more precise then the rest of the cast because of their small bounce. It looked like you have to start right before :4littlemac:/:4zss: hits the ground for it to work.

It does work on :4feroy::4ryu::4corrin::4cloud:but only on the bounce like most of the cast.

This lock seems to work for a very long time, past 300% on :4sheik: and it's much easier to use then the other Jab Locking options Zard has.

Labernash

Smash Lord
Who are/is the really good Charizard right now (if there are any) and where could I find videos of such?

Xandercosm

Smash Lord
NNID
vineto
Zard feels so good now. It's ridiculous. He flows smoothly and his attacks connect really nicely. Love him now. He pretty much feels like a solid character now.

FiXalaS

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
4293-9334-7517
Zard feels so good now. It's ridiculous. He flows smoothly and his attacks connect really nicely. Love him now. He pretty much feels like a solid character now.
Yessss! I usually dislike heavies but Zard is amazing!

BarSoapSoup

Smash Journeyman
How do you Zard mains feel about the MU with Bowser as in 1.1.5? Boys on the Bowser forums think things haven't changed all that much but I like to get a look at both sides of the coin.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
How do you Zard mains feel about the MU with Bowser as in 1.1.5? Boys on the Bowser forums think things haven't changed all that much but I like to get a look at both sides of the coin.
It's not a match up that I'm terribly familiar with, but it's much safer for us Zards to throw out aerials of our own now. It makes defending ourselves in the air much easier in general. We could probably edge guard you a bit better as well now. Of course, these things are true for most Zard matchups, but it's got to help us at least a little.

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
You guys think Zard is good enough to compete? My roommate is a Zard/Mewtwo, I think Charizard is a comfort pick, since he's been playing him longer and he's a lot less squishy. But is the character worth pursuing for competition? He seems like decent against Sheik, but I can't really say. I'd put him on par with Bowser at least.

Also are there any good recent sets to watch? Any players to keep an eye out for? I want to help my buddy improve but I have little to go on. I know there was that one player at Pound, but I can't remember his name.

Edit: It's BrainYDG and found some sets in the video thread. Nice.

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Zard works alright against most characters but he does have some pretty rough matchups. Good projectile zoning mostly. Robin is difficult. Tink is frustrating. You probably want some backup for those kinds of matchups, either a smaller/more agile character or projectile camp of your own.

G. Stache

Smash Journeyman
Hello Zard mains. I've been wanting to use Zard for a while now, and with the recent buffs now seems to be a good time. But I want to know: how well can Zard play defensively? And how well can he play footsies? I've been wanting to improve those two aspects of my game and if Zard can help me with that, then I'd be in pretty good shape. Thank you in advance and maybe if you could link a good guide on the character that would be great.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Hello Zard mains. I've been wanting to use Zard for a while now, and with the recent buffs now seems to be a good time. But I want to know: how well can Zard play defensively? And how well can he play footsies? I've been wanting to improve those two aspects of my game and if Zard can help me with that, then I'd be in pretty good shape. Thank you in advance and maybe if you could link a good guide on the character that would be great.
Dtilt, Jab, space aerials well.

Use Flame Thrower once and a while, use grab a lot since Zard has a great grab.

More or less a lot of that.

NNID
Ridleylash
3DS FC
1736-1657-3905
Eeeh...I'd be more sparing with grab, honestly; it might not have much lag, but whiffing still leaves you open to punishes in the neutral if you're facing a good player. Only go for grabs if you know you can manage them to prevent punishes as best you can.

DTilt, BAir, Jab and NAir are all really good in neutral, because they come out fast and do decent damage, and Jab can link into other moves. Save Flamethrower for edgeguarding or pressuring shields. NAir helps cover a landing if you're landing after being juggled and can break juggles. Fly works great as a kill move if you can get in range, and so does UThrow.

Most importantly, NEVER, EVER, EVER USE FLARE BLITZ ON SHIELDS. Please don't. I've seen too many FG Charizards Flare Blitz into shield, and every time I feel like screaming. It isn't safe on shield, it's almost exclusively a move to catch people who make a mistake.

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
Flamethrower is just too good to pass up for use in neutral. It's a huge commitment, but it's great at pressuring shields. Jump in the air and angle downwards, and you might catch an enemy who's trying to run at you. Be careful with fast opponents, though, since they'll sometimes just run under you and punish you from behind.

Fly is great, but it's so risky that I usually just opt for Up Smash instead. Zard has very solid up smash that comes out fast and has a large hitbox. It even has a second hit that can occasionally catch an air dodge.

Don't be scared to use Flare Blitz to recover. You can afford to take that 5% every now and then. It's pretty important that you practice ledge snapping with it, though.

Piipp

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ZebraJammiez
3DS FC
2681-1864-8125
I came here because the MU thread is practically dead but, I have a friend who plays Zard and thinks that the villager MU is unwinnable for him. I can assure him that it isn't but I need some insight from others who actually play Charizard. I know that the MU is most likely in Villagers favor but not unwinnable for Charizard. How is the MU?

Top Bottom