• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta The Charizard Metagame Discussion Topic

gameplayzero

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RetroBlaze
B-Throw fair works at early percents on the majority of characters, some can avoid it if they Di away. At mid percents it works provided they Di towards you, you can also get bair if they Di towards you. Generally at low percents you should always go for b-throw fair since it usually sets them up for an edgeguard.
U-throw Fair and d-throw u-smash work at low to mid percents. D-throw u-smash works better on fastfallers and fatties.
thank you. I'll try incorporating that more into my game. I think my main problem besides patience is working on using my toolkit to its advantage in neutral. I use flamethrower when they are on the ledge or recovering to try to mess them up or dair them afterward. Rock smash I use for really predictable trades and combo breakers and Flare blitz to read tech rolls.

I'm just having a hard time properly using the nair. Most of the time in neutral I'll just bait and wait honestly and don't fully feel comfortable spacing with it. I'll RaR nair as an anti air since the hitbox comes out the fastest from behind, but thats about it. I could definitely use my fairs in neutral as well. I'll post some recent 1v1 matches when I have the chance. I hate how underepped a lot of the characters in this game are in the US. I want to try to push his meta as much as I can.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

So how can we use this?

ZephyrZ

But.....DRAGONS
NNID
AbsolBlade
3DS FC
4210-4109-6434
Switch FC
SW-1754-5854-0794
I tried to figure the tech out, but my only controllers are a gamepad that got chewed up by my dog and some Wii Remote & Nunchucks that I'm not accustomed to using, so techs like that are near impossible for me to pull off consistently without leaving my comfort zone.

How far do we skid? I don't imagine we'll get much distance. That that's true, there's probably not a lot we can really get from it.

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Flamethrower to Dsmash at the ledge against some characters to get them with no invincibility, two questions with this.

Which stages does this work on the best in terms of the ledge?

Which characters have a snap that is short enough to where this is most effective?

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
Flamethrower to Dsmash at the ledge against some characters to get them with no invincibility, two questions with this.

Which stages does this work on the best in terms of the ledge?

Which characters have a snap that is short enough to where this is most effective?
Stages with no lip, because it limits the angles they can snap the ledge with. Dreamland and anything with a wall is great. Lylat can either be terrific or terrible for this depending on how it's tilting. I find ROB incredibly vulnerable to this because his up b can't attack you, which means he has to commit to a uair which is easily beaten out by dair. He also extends his hurtbox above the ledge a bit (his arms) before he sweetspots. Other characters that I know do this are Rosa and Falcon. DK is super vulnerable to this because his up b is EZ flamethrower bait and he cannot mixup his up b timing at all since it has very little vertical range.

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Zero doesn't think Charizard is bottom or low tier.

Rejoice!

teddystalin

Smash Apprentice
Thread necro:

What's the drawback to dthrow > fly at ~80-100%? Is it a DI read? Can the opponent just jump out? Just messing around on 3DS and can't test outside of training mode.

Edit: Mmm yeah you can absolutely jump out. Ah well.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
They can get out of it if they know you are aiming for it.

Best used to try and bait an airdodge/attack from them then powering through it.

Last edited:

Steeler

Smash Hero
NNID
Steeler
you can get dthrow -> fly to work on smashville's moving platform, as long as you are facing the way its moving. They can change their DI up but you can angle it to catch either way

Xibit.A

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone! I'm new to Smashboards, and while I'm a Roy:4feroy:/Cloud:4cloud:main, I love playing Charizard:4charizard: just for fun! As I was sitting in History class today, I was wondering how I could force a tech situation with 'Zard. I realized that if I force a tech, I should be able to punish all options with Flare Blitz, I just don't know how to put them in that position. Any help would be appreciated.

arbustopachon

Smash Journeyman
D-tilt would be your best option, it is not guaranteed in any way but it sends the opponent in a pretty steep angle and has passable endlag. A sourspot Nair can kinda work on fast fallers at low percent, but not really.

Last edited:
Top Bottom