• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The "character who would you rather over character" thread

D

Deleted member

• Sceptile/grass starter over Incineroar/Cinderace
  • Impa over Sheik, or one of the Links
  • Geno over Waluigi, sorry Waluigi fans.
  • Neku over Sora.. sorry, don't really like Sora and KH all too much
  • Shadow/another Sonic character over Richter.. sorry Richter. I like you but Shadow deserved to be playable IMO
  • Anyone over Plant any day, the one that always feels out of place even with the other joke characters
  • Hades/Medusa over Dark Pit
  • Amaterasu over Dante and Phoenix Wright/other Capcom reps not in yet

Last edited by a moderator:

ShotoStar

Smash Cadet
Duster over any other Mother character.

Arthur from Ghost n' Goblins over Dante but Phoenix Wright over Arthur.

E. Gadd over King Boo.

Dr. Eggman over any other Sonic or Sega character.

Reimu over any other Indie character but Cirno over Reimu and any other Touhou character.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Meowth over :ultjigglypuff:

In all the years they've used Jigglypuff in Smash, nothing has changed for her to merit her having any kind of importance to her own series of Pokemon.

• No Mega
  • No unique Z-Move
  • No Alolan form
  • No Galarian form
  • No Gigantamax form
  • No importance even to spinoff games like Mystery Dungeon
  • The thing was just a short lived gag in the anime, which was the only reason it was picked other than the fact of being an easy to program Kirby pseudo-clone that lives in the shadow of Wario as a Smash character and lives in the shadow of Clefairy as a Pokemon

Then you have Meowth

• Long-time relevance to the anime to this day especially with the "blasting off again" gag
  • Alolan form
  • Galarian form
  • Gigantamax form
  • Starter option in Mystery Dungeon games
Easily far more relevant to the Pokemon series as a villain/side character than a forgettable gag filler monster.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Meowth over :ultjigglypuff:

In all the years they've used Jigglypuff in Smash, nothing has changed for her to merit her having any kind of importance to her own series of Pokemon.

• No Mega
  • No unique Z-Move
  • No Alolan form
  • No Galarian form
  • No Gigantamax form
  • No importance even to spinoff games like Mystery Dungeon
  • The thing was just a short lived gag in the anime, which was the only reason it was picked other than the fact of being an easy to program Kirby pseudo-clone that lives in the shadow of Wario as a Smash character and lives in the shadow of Clefairy as a Pokemon

Then you have Meowth

• Long-time relevance to the anime to this day especially with the "blasting off again" gag
  • Alolan form
  • Galarian form
  • Gigantamax form
  • Starter option in Mystery Dungeon games
Easily far more relevant to the Pokemon series as a villain/side character than a forgettable gag filler monster.
Thank you!

Also, don’t forget Jessie and James in Pokemon Let’s Go, Pokemon Masters, and Pokemon GO in addition to Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Puzzle League.

Really, Meowth & Team Rocket deserve the privilege of being a playable fighter in Smash. They earned it.

UserKev

Smash Champion
James Bond over Captain N
Solo Bowser Jr. over Koopalings
Ryuhi kid (Flying Dragon) over Heihachi.

I don't actually mind Heihachi, I just think Ryuhi (kid variant) would be a more game changing and colorful addition. I'm gonna say it, Flying Dragon deserves a rep in Smash.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
James Bond over Captain N
Solo Bowser Jr. over Koopalings
Ryuhi kid (Flying Dragon) over Heihachi.

I don't actually mind Heihachi, I just think Ryuhi (kid variant) would be a more game changing and colorful addition. I'm gonna say it, Flying Dragon deserves a rep in Smash.
I want Heihachi to be playable to. While I respect your opinion, I think Ryuhi would be better off in something along the lines of "Obscure media all star battle".

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
I want Heihachi to be playable to. While I respect your opinion, I think Ryuhi would be better off in something along the lines of "Obscure media all star battle".
Eh? You probably had the same mind frame for Terry Bogard. Bruh, Smash revives every character it touches.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
Eh? You probably had the same mind frame for Terry Bogard. Bruh, Smash revives every character it touches.
My opinions have changed, and Terry (King of Fighters), Ren (Persona), and Reimu (Touhou) are certainly not obscure, and I want all three of them to be playable.

To get back on topic:

I would want:

Tails over Eggman (Sonic)
Toad over Goomba
Ghosts (Pacman) over Susumu (Mr. Driller)
Chun-Li over X (Mega Man)

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Thank you!

Also, don’t forget Jessie and James in Pokemon Let’s Go, Pokemon Masters, and Pokemon GO in addition to Pokemon Yellow and Pokemon Puzzle League.

Really, Meowth & Team Rocket deserve the privilege of being a playable fighter in Smash. They earned it.
No they´re not Game Characters theyre Anime Characters if youre Fine with them then you should also be Fine with Goku,
if you want Team Rocket rep then how about Giovanni with Nidoking, Rihorn, Honchkrow and Maybe Persian

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
No they´re not Game Characters theyre Anime Characters if youre Fine with them then you should also be Fine with Goku,
if you want Team Rocket rep then how about Giovanni with Nidoking, Rihorn, Honchkrow and Maybe Persian
With that logic, Lucario should be removed because he made his debut in a Pokemon movie made to promote the games.
Jessie and James debuted in an anime, made to promote the games. Same with Ash.
I think they're perfectly fine wants for Smash.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
With that logic, Lucario should be removed because he made his debut in a Pokemon movie made to promote the games.
Jessie and James debuted in an anime, made to promote the games. Same with Ash.
I think they're perfectly fine wants for Smash.
Lucario was designed for the games Jessie and James for the Anime also Jessie, james and ASh are worse in literally every way to Red(Who is in Smash)/Giovanni

Janx_uwu

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Lucario was designed for the games Jessie and James for the Anime
Jessie and James would represent all of the Team Rocket grunts, so I don't see a problem with it.
Doesn't matter, the logic still stands, both of them debuted in a non-videogame-medium.
also Jessie, james and ASh are worse in literally every way to Red(Who is in Smash)/Giovanni
Red isn't in Smash, Pokemon Trainer is.
Also, that's entirely subjective.

Oracle Link

Smash Master
Jessie and James would represent all of the Team Rocket grunts, so I don't see a problem with it.
Doesn't matter, the logic still stands, both of them debuted in a non-videogame-medium.

Red isn't in Smash, Pokemon Trainer is.
Also, that's entirely subjective.
The Pokemon trainer is Red and Leaf/Green/Blue
im not meaning red from the Manga he is also unfit

fine then lets cut Lucario i wouldnt care

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
fine then lets cut Lucario i wouldnt care
Me neither. Doesn't change James and Jessie are still in main series Pokemon games regardless of which came first and therefore qualify as game characters. Jigglypuff's anime popularity was part of why she was picked anyway.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
Toad over Waluigi. I love you, Waluigi, and I know Ultimate did you dirty. But try being nothing more than a human shield for four games in a row. Yeah, Toad needs justice more than Waluigi does IMO.
Toad gets his own game to be a captain out of nowhere and be playable in main series Mario games for years since New Super Mario Bros. Wii. I'd say getting to be a counter move is a more than fair exchange for getting so much acknowledgement everywhere else in the series you're from as opposed to being treated like a joke and a meme in both Smash and Mario with even less relevance in Mario despite such huge fan outcry on both ends.

Blackwolf666

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5000-4278-5177
unpopular opinion but Majora's Mask over Skull Kid. Felt this way ever since I first played through Majora's Mask and fought Majora's Mask. There's a lot there to make an interesting and unique move set.

UserKev

Smash Champion
unpopular opinion but Majora's Mask over Skull Kid. Felt this way ever since I first played through Majora's Mask and fought Majora's Mask. There's a lot there to make an interesting and unique move set.
Couldn't agree more. You can probably throw in some Majora's incarnation of his 2nd and third form for attacks. Instant transformation for 2nd incarnation low kick and instant transformation for third incarnation whip lash and grab functions.

Lenidem

Smash Lord
Couldn't agree more. You can probably throw in some Majora's incarnation of his 2nd and third form for attacks. Instant transformation for 2nd incarnation low kick and instant transformation for third incarnation whip lash and grab functions.
Totally disagree, but it's your opinion.

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
"He's more important to his franchise, therefore he's less deserving of a roster slot"? I don't see your logic
Toad gets plenty of recognition despite fans vocally saying they want more variety than just basic Toads.

Waluigi gets less recognition despite fans being vocal about wanting more for him outside of being a side character spinoffs.

People that want more for Toad are already getting it while those that want more for Waluigi aren't.

It's not so much about importance as much as it is about tone deafness towards fanservice.

It's the same reason we got 5 instances of vocally unwanted and unmerited Fire Emblem shilling before we finally got characters people actually vocally wanted in Ridley and King K. Rool despite the very large lack of relevance to King K. Rool and then someone turns around asks for more Fire Emblem shilling anyway.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I would rather have professor E. Gadd than King Boo. The guy is cute, sarcastic, funny, and a mad scientist. He's also one of Mario Kart's biggest omissions.
Wait... King Boo is adorable and cute.

I don't mind your pick, but the Boos are soooo cute!

FOR ME:
Over Geno as anything other than a preMiium, I would choose:
  • Captain Toad
  • Paper Mario
  • --------
  • Waluigi
  • Goomba
  • Koopa Troopa
  • Kamek
  • Baby Mario and Baby Luigi echo
  • King Boo
  • E. Gadd
  • Birdo echo

Impa over Sheik
Meowth over Jigglypuff
Eevee over Pichu
Lara Croft over Bayonetta
Dixie over Chrom
Tails over Dark Pit
Isaac or Monster Hunter over Byleth
Protoman over Roy

Last edited:

UserKev

Smash Champion
Sam Fisher (Splinter Cell) over Heavy
Toon Link over any other incarnation of kid Link
Johnny Gat (Saints Row) over Mr. Freeman (Gorgon Freeman)
Baby Bowser over Baby Mario and Luigi

Pupp135

Smash Lord
Here are some of my preferences for newcomers:
Toad, Koopa Troopa, and Boo over Waluigi, Paper Mario, and Geno
:133::151: over :052:
Tails/Metal Sonic over Shadow, Knuckles, and Eggman/Robotnik
Tidus over other SE reps

UserKev

Smash Champion
Interesting. Why so?
Baby Bowser is more appealing and has great overall aesthetic. Ever played Yoshi Island? Baby Bowser would have a more powerful ground pound than Bowser, more explosive fire balls, spike chain mace and could have a shark imitating gimmick for his Natural A, biting the foe.

I honestly don't get it when people request Baby Mario and Luigi. Both are some of the most bland newcomers you can want. Baby Bowser is a more sick idea.

kaithehedgefox

Smash Lord
If I had to add another echo fighter, I would have Sonic.EXE as a Sonic echo over Herobrine as a Steve (Minecraft) echo. And yes, Sonic.EXE is a fanmade videogame character. Sega doesn't own Sonic.EXE, but he is still a videogame character because he is primarily recognized as a videogame character despite originating from literature, similar to Geralt (Witcher).

crazybenjamin

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW 2794 0568 0108
Toad gets plenty of recognition despite fans vocally saying they want more variety than just basic Toads.

Waluigi gets less recognition despite fans being vocal about wanting more for him outside of being a side character spinoffs.

People that want more for Toad are already getting it while those that want more for Waluigi aren't.

It's not so much about importance as much as it is about tone deafness towards fanservice.

It's the same reason we got 5 instances of vocally unwanted and unmerited Fire Emblem shilling before we finally got characters people actually vocally wanted in Ridley and King K. Rool despite the very large lack of relevance to King K. Rool and then someone turns around asks for more Fire Emblem shilling anyway.
So your mentality is that "fan demand is the be all and end all?"
Using that logic, if someone "asks for more Fire Emblem shilling anyway," then it's completely within their right to do that (why do so many people ignore the fact that Chrom was a fan request?)

DrCoeloCephalo

Banned via Warnings
NNID
DrCoeloCephalo
3DS FC
5086-1965-6195
Switch FC
SW-2795-9234-1507
So your mentality is that "fan demand is the be all and end all?"
Using that logic, if someone "asks for more Fire Emblem shilling anyway," then it's completely within their right to do that (why do so many people ignore the fact that Chrom was a fan request?)
No. I'm saying it's more important.

People would probably be bothered to temember that if Fire Emblem representation wasn't already done to death. Meanwhile, you don't need to go far at all to see people vocally happy with King K. Rool's inclusion.

Top Bottom