• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The character roster almost follows a certain franchise-based pattern

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Feels a bit out of place to post this here but nevertheless is technically on-topic.

Basically, for some time I noticed that out of the 12 characters in 64, there's a certain pattern divided among 4 sets of 3 characters among them(overall adding up to 12), by having the characters represent the Nintendo system their franchise started on. First at the franchise that character is from, and then the first game of that franchise, and then the system it was on. If we take it so that said character would "represent" that system, then it neatly fits into those 4s set of 3. So for example Fox is from Starfox, and his first game was Starfox for the SNES, so Fox would rep SNES, and Falcon's first is F-Zero also for the SNES, so he too would join Fox.

This way of determining is very important. E.g. for Ness. "Ness is Ninten" theories aside it happens that his franchises' first game, Mother, is not his actual first appearance which is instead Earthbound/Mother 2 for the SNES. So this is looking more at the franchise of said character rather than first appearance. Similar things could be argued to a lesser extent for Link, as NES Link isn't same as the OoT Link, and Falcon, who doesn't appear outside of his vehicle in-game in F-Zero until F-Zero X for the N64.
Smash games I believe do a similar thing in All-Star mode, where for example Little Mac would be with the arcade bois even though he didn't actually appear in the arcade Punch Out!. So it's not a completely BS method :p

So anyway, the 4 systems making up these 4 sets would be the NES, SNES, Gameboy and "Arcade". The latter isn't an actual stand alone system, but Smash games since I believe Brawl or so would list it as a category so meh it works. Anyways, I'll list the systems and the corresponding characters and their first game below, and show how it neatly fits.

NES
  1. Link - Legend of Zelda
  2. Samus - Metroid
  3. Ness - Mother
SNES
  1. Captain Falcon - F-Zero
  2. Yoshi - Yoshi's Island/Super Mario World
    [Doesn't matter either way, am putting SMW since Melee's stage based on SMW is categorized as a "Yoshi" stage.]
  3. Fox - Starfox
GB
  1. Kirby - Kirby's Dreamland
  2. Pikachu - Pokémon Red/Green
  3. Jigglypuff - Pokémon Red/Green
Arcade
  1. DK - Donkey Kong
  2. Mario - Mario Bros./Donkey Kong
    [It could be said it should be Donkey Kong as Mario appeared in it as Jumpman, but conveniently just like Yoshi's case it doesn't matter]
  3. Luigi - Mario Bros.
So far it seems to hold up! And when I first discovered this it was neat how it all fit together. However, there is one small obscure detail that blasts this whole thing away...based off of this ONE random piece of trivia I found out later..
It's in the very last character listed. Luigi's first appearance was on Mario Bros., but not the arcade title, it was the Game & Watch Mario Bros....... And frustratingly enough seems these two titles were released just months apart! It's as far as I know the only main thing discrediting this pattern!(Aside from the dubious "Arcade" categorization). I had to find this out from the mariowiki too, as even official Nintendo sources generally say the arcade Mario Bros. was his first appearance. This change also affects Mario if you consider him to represent Mario Bros. over Donkey Kong.

Of course, one possible way of trying to reconcile this is by replacing the arcade categorization with Game & Watch. And that is satisfying in a way, NES, SNES, GB and Game & Watch. Two home consoles, two handhelds. But it feels off to me as while it'd still fit with the pattern of 4 sets of 3 completing the roster, you still are essentially ignoring Donkey Kong the arcade title to jump into Donkey Kong the Game & Watch title as a "first appearance", but off of this technicality it would work. Still feels very off especially given Smash games since Brawl have referenced Donkey Kong Arcade greatly.

So what is the point...dunno. This is mostly just a random *** pattern I first noticed and which seemed to actually hold up in a satisfying way, but was discouraged by that damn Luigi detail. Still, since everything else fits it'd feel a waste to not get this off of my chest. I very much doubt this was intentional when they decided the roster, and obviously for later Smash games it doesn't work. So yea, just a random *** almost-is-a-pattern-but-isn't about the Smash 64 character roster.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:

CrusherMania1592

Deaf Smasher
Premium
3DS FC
5472-7454-3545
This looks pretty solid. Never realized that we had 3 of each in each console generation

Kirbyfan391

Smash Champion
Nice, I like it. Now if we extended this to the othere systems, who would represent each one?
Do you mean in the later games? I guess that'd be interesting to lay out, but what got me in 64's is how it's (almost) equally divided among the entire roster, which is what gets me. Later rosters are much more disproportionate, so there would be cases where like, Olimar would be the sole representative of GCN(Animal Crossing started off on N64) and Inkling for Wii U. And given this looks at franchise and not game character first appearance, the more Mario characters and Pokemon characters for example would just add on to the existing pile, even newer ones like Greninja and Bowser Jr.

Top Bottom