• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Event - E3 Invitational 2014 The Chance of having a post-Smashfest Demo on eShop

Will Nintendo give us demos on the eShop?

• Total voters

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
As you know Smashfest is out at many Best Buys throughout the US, but some people (myself unfortunately included) aren't able to get to them due to distance. What do you think are the chances of Nintendo releasing demos on both the 3DS and Wii U eShops, so that the people who weren't able to make it to Smashfest locations can get a chance to play the games for a little bit before they come out?

CroonerMike

Smash Lord
I believe they should do a demo but less then what is at Best Buy to only be fair. Maybe if we complain enough, we will get it!! :D

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If only that were possible, but it's been hinted that Nintendo is reluctant to offer downloadable demos, because the company fears that a demo that crashes could brick your Wii U. And seeing as there have been some very isolated reports of Mario Kart 8 having a system bricking bug, that may further explain the company's reluctance.

Oracle_Summon

Smash Hero
As nice as it would be to happen, it does not sound like something Nintendo would do.

Tornado_Man

Smash Lord
NNID
FireMegaBuster
If only that were possible, but it's been hinted that Nintendo is reluctant to offer downloadable demos, because the company fears that a demo that crashes could brick your Wii U. And seeing as there have been some very isolated reports of Mario Kart 8 having a system bricking bug, that may further explain the company's reluctance.
As far as I know, only the Wii U demo at E3 crashed, not sure about the 3DS. And huh, didn't know about the Mario Kart 8 bug. But yeah, that makes a lot of sense actually. Maybe they will put out a demo once it's stabilized

CloneHat

Smash Champion
People are already freaking out about the invitational/Best Buy demos. I think the situation would get worse if more people thought the unfinished version of the game was the final product.

GamerGuy09

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-3742-4712-6319
Would I want them? Of course, that's why I'm not going to Smashfest, way to crowded and to long of lines.

Will they? No, Sakurai is afraid that someone will hack the game (we will) and find stuff that he doesn't want us to see.

Morbi

Scavenger
I highly doubt that they would provide everyone with a demo of the game; if they did, it would (more likely than not) be far more limited than the Smashfest Demo anyways.

staindgrey

I have a YouTube channel.
Writing Team
NNID
staindgrey
3DS FC
0130-1865-3216
Switch FC
SW 1248 1677 4696
A worldwide release of a glitchy demo on a highly anticipated game?

0% chance.
That's what killed Resident Evil 6's sales.

Well, that, and the fact that it was a kind of sucky game.

Ginger Hail

Smash Apprentice
If they release any kind of demo, it's going to be a much different build than the E3/Best Buy demos. Likely a much more stable/finalized version of the game.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Would I want them? Of course, that's why I'm not going to Smashfest, way to crowded and to long of lines.

Will they? No, Sakurai is afraid that someone will hack the game (we will) and find stuff that he doesn't want us to see.
The Wii U is actually unhackable right now. Nobody has cracked it, and can't even do the simplest things, such as ripping music files from games or anything. So that's not a worry, nobody is close to hacking it yet, partly because the architecture of the system is very unorthodox compared to other systems, and partly because Nintendo have a lot of ant-piracy measures in place.

Katy Parry

The Only Zelda in Indiana
NNID
justysuxx
The Wii U is actually unhackable right now. Nobody has cracked it, and can't even do the simplest things, such as ripping music files from games or anything. So that's not a worry, nobody is close to hacking it yet, partly because the architecture of the system is very unorthodox compared to other systems, and partly because Nintendo have a lot of ant-piracy measures in place.
Apparently a group already has hacked the Wii U, they just chose not to make it public.

Fastblade5035

Smash Master
NNID
gnic2322
3DS FC
0645-6032-2207
Maybe just a 3DS demo, since it seems a lot more stable.
Wii U can get one around the 3DS launch, when it will be in a position like the 3DS is now.

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
A 3DS demo with Smash Run and the E3 chars would be the best bet, the Wii U demo, as awesome as it was, felt like a broken mess.

KingBroly

Smash Lord
While it'd be nice, especially for Online stress-testing, Nintendo's not going to do it. The closest thing they've done from an eShop demo perspective is b-tier franchises.

Goten21

Smash Journeyman
Understandable, considering the last two pirate treasures called Nintendo DS and nintendo Wii, lmfao

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
I think they should've had eShop demos in the first place. Not everyone was going to have the opportunity to visit a Best Buy (people like me), and that wasn't even worth it when people probably waited hours in line just to play for a couple of minutes.

They already limit eShop demos in usage by counting down each time you boot the demo up, so they could do it with this. Not like it stops anyone from leaving the console on though, I know I would do so, since I barely play the other games I have now so I don't have to worry about those.

I really doubt we'll be getting eShop demos though, not even when the games are debugged enough. This just seems like too much of a big deal, they probably planned to just stick to those event demos and nothing more.

Banjodorf

Dynamic Duo
NNID
bluefalcon27
3DS FC
2105-8715-5493
Honestly they should've distrubuted the Smashfest demos with 5-10 maximum fights playable on it. That'd give the optimal Smashfest experience, without the travel expenses/people missing out because of location.

So I do hope they do that, maybe in August or September.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
As much as I would love demo builds on the eShop, I think they won't do it because they are afraid of competitive players of previous iterations playing the demos and saying "lol game is **** not buying it" based off of the demos and losing sales.

Best Buy wasn't an ideal location to host something like this though. If only the Smash fandom had something similar to Summer of Sonic.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
As much as I would love demo builds on the eShop, I think they won't do it because they are afraid of competitive players of previous iterations playing the demos and saying "lol game is **** not buying it" based off of the demos and losing sales.
The whole point of demos is to try out a game, whether you're interested in it or not, to see if you would discard purchasing it or if you would get even more interest towards it and end up buying it eventually. People should have the opportunity to try out the game for themselves so they can make a better decision. There's tons of hype for this game, and I'm sure people would be pretty pissed if they wasted $39.99 (or more for the Wii U version) only to find themselves wit ha game they ended up disliking, despite being so excited for it all this time.

Ginger Hail

Smash Apprentice
The reason most E3 demos aren't put up for download to consumers is because they're often slapped together and very prone to bugs/crashes, which we have seen with the Smash demos. If any demo were to go out, it'd have to be something much more stable.

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312
The reason most E3 demos aren't put up for download to consumers is because they're often slapped together and very prone to bugs/crashes, which we have seen with the Smash demos. If any demo were to go out, it'd have to be something much more stable.
Yeah. Just like how that one Wii U demo just broke while PP, HBox and Zero were playing with that Nintendo rep guy that does nothing but complain while he plays.
This is a factor that needs to be taken in, but still, I'd really like for an eShop demo to exist in both consoles, even if it won't be anytime soon.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The whole point of demos is to try out a game, whether you're interested in it or not, to see if you would discard purchasing it or if you would get even more interest towards it and end up buying it eventually. People should have the opportunity to try out the game for themselves so they can make a better decision. There's tons of hype for this game, and I'm sure people would be pretty pissed if they wasted $39.99 (or more for the Wii U version) only to find themselves wit ha game they ended up disliking, despite being so excited for it all this time.
As consumers, we of course would like to try games before we buy them.

For Nintendo, however, they just want us to buy the things. Nintendo don't do demos for their biggest titles, especially on Wii U, as the Wii U is in a state where it and it's games need to start selling, and having demos for AAA Nintendo games is a potential barrier for sales.

Last edited:

sWiTcHeRoO [疾~斬]

The Visionary
NNID
Yuchkins
3DS FC
0130-2970-6312

For Nintendo, however, they just want us to buy the things. Nintendo don't do demos for their biggest titles, especially on Wii U, as the Wii U is in a state where it and it's games need to start selling, and having demos for AAA Nintendo games is a potential barrier for sales.
Yeah, that's exactly why I'm doubting that they'll give us demos on either consoles. It's wanted by many, but they wouldn't risk it if it meant not getting sales due to people disliking it.

Crendog

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0318-7435-8104
I would love an e-shop demo but the chances are very slim

Jade_Rock55

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4656-7001-2336
I don't think we have a chance until the next direct at least(August maybe since directs have been every other month?)

ToothiestAura

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4527-8092-0589
It is possible that an eShop demo will happen. I find it unlikely that we will get one at all, and even more unlikely is will be one o the E3/Smash Fest builds. It would most likely have a more complete engine than this demo had and have far fewer characters. The 20 present seems far too many, but given that they seem to limit plays with the demos maybe it could have that many characters. It probably wouldn't be for a while.

ImaClubYou

Smash Lord
NNID
ImaClubYou_Louie
3DS FC
3453-9816-8856

That can work for or against Nintendo on the contrary.

If they released a demo and done so publicly, I'm fairly certain people will buy a Wii U just to play some broken alpha demo.

Top Bottom