• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Campy Doc Matchup

MrWeavile

Smash Apprentice
I've recently run into a matchup I feel very inexperienced and confused with, Doctor Mario- Specifically a campy one. I'm getting called out whenever I approach, but my approach seems to be dictated by his pill. I can't call out his movement since the pill is in the way. Camping myself feels like a pill will just give him all the space as he runs towards me, and if he nairs to cover behind me, I don't feel like there's anything I can do but shield.
What are some good options and tips to win this matchup? It probably is just inexperience, but I'd like to learn it and get it down.
All help appreciated!

LMN8

Smash Rookie
One thing to notice about Doc's play is that he has a hard time getting in.When you combine that with pills doc's play relies a lot on stage control. If you are on one side of the stage and doc is on the other pilling you just wait. You want doc to run towards you because fox is a gazillion times better at approaching than doc. wait for the doc to jump-pill and while they are coming down run in shine into combo. Also take clear note that drill-waveshine DOES work on doc and this is powerful. Uptrhow-Upair also works and you should be utilizing this. You should be able to punish doc really hard and thats why when the pills are in your face again dont be afraid to reset neutral. You can get another easy punish by waiting and if you risk being offstage or by the ledge you are liable to get caped and die. If they are really camping the edge on stadium or dreamland you can SHDL before they can reach you, this is a good way to bait an approach. My last tip is to ban FD because there are no platforms to help escape from the pills.

Archelon

Smash Journeyman
Also, one small thing is if you can learn to powershield pills, because they're super slow and thus relatively easy to powershield.

RaynEX

Colonel RTSD
- There is nothing wrong with shielding his nairs. He doens't have a shine or anything, so any shielded aerial aside from his fair is a free shield-grab punish, or usmash punish. If he's doing nairs into your shield all day that's actually a good thing and you should capitalize.

- As said above, ban FD. He can chaingrab you zero to death there (so can Mario), and the pills are harder to deal with. But this ban is mostly because of the chaingrab, as pills are obnoxious on any level.

- On any non-FD stage, use the platforms. You can predict the trajectory of the pill and avoid them totally + manuever on platforms to force him to change his angles. If you're above him his pills can't really hit you, even if they bounce. If you force off the ground and onto the platforms to fight, then you can circle back underneath him and take the lower ground. Doc has a very weak air game from below (his dair has low priority and nothing else will beat your utilt, usmash or uair). If you can trick him into leaving the ground, you can take it from him and shark him from below.

- Vs runaway pills, block them and wavedash OOS towards him. You can crouch-cancel during your wavedash to negate any ftilt / nair / jab stuff he might try and continue your offense. Once you get close enough, it becomes very unsafe for him to throw a pill. The way you win this match-up is similar to Falco. Be close enough that you can threaten him with quick SH nair / dair approaches, so he won't want to pill.

- Remember that if you're far away or at mid-range, don't be scared of his projectile. It's slow and telegraphed and you are much much faster than Doc. Who says you can't just wait for the pill to bounce then run under it? Or platform camp and change your approach timing? You should be putting pressure on Doc, not the other way around.

Top Bottom