• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Cackling Witch that Rhymes! The Gruntilda Winkybunion Support Thread!

Planet Cool

Smash Ace
NNID
DKC_Fan
That actually raises a good question: excluding Grunty and Dr. Robotnik/Eggman (because I think everyone agrees he's the most obvious choice), who should be the next villain to get into Smash? I vote for pig Ganon, and after him... maybe Kamek?

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Add me in R RetrogamerMax ! Everyone needs to have their nemesis, and Banjo-Kazooie is no exeption! Unfortunately, I am not very familiar with the franchise, so that is all I can say... for now.
: On the list you go! What?! You never played the Banjo-Kazooie games how can this be? You must play Kazooie and Tooie before we get Threeie! Though it might never happen! It's always best to prepare for what lays ahead! Go! Play Kazooie Tooie! As you will not regret it like a game over Tooty!

That actually raises a good question: excluding Grunty and Dr. Robotnik/Eggman (because I think everyone agrees he's the most obvious choice), who should be the next villain to get into Smash? I vote for pig Ganon, and after him... maybe Kamek?
: Obviously if not Eggman as the next 3rd party villain rep than Porky would make the most sense for the next Nintendo villain rep! Mother is without it's villain and Porky had a Brawl with the bois in SSB back his day!

Last edited:

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
king boo

Obviously if not Eggman as the next 3rd party villain rep than Porky would make the most sense for the next Nintendo villain rep! Mother is without it's villain and Porky had a Brawl with the bois in SSB back his day!
i dont think porky is the mother villain

Last edited:

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
i dont think porky is the mother villain
: He is one of the main villains in Mother! While Giygas was the main antagonist of Mother 1 and Mother 2, Porky was the main antagonist of Mother 3 and co-antagonist of Mother 2! So whether you agree or not! Porky is one of Mother's greatest villains for overall and all time!

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
: He is one of the main villains in Mother! While Giygas was the main antagonist of Mother 1 and Mother 2, Porky was the main antagonist of Mother 3 and co-antagonist of Mother 2! So whether you agree or not! Porky is one of Mother's greatest villains for overall and all time!
So you mean villains of the mother series rather than the over all villain?

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Pig Ganon would be nice, but I would rather get someone who is not practically an alter ego first. Kamek is a good choice, and I am familiar with him, I am also curious about Captain Syrup, and even offered a few thoughts about her in her thread.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I mean, if Giygas can't move around in his life support machine like Porky can in his Mother 3 bed mech than no, I wouldn't say it's the same.
Well until one of us looks him up on YouTube I don’t see this going anywhere

I can’t find anything that says it is a life support machine and just an unspecified machine mind you

Dolph63

Smash Cadet
Ok, first, I support.

Second,
Well until one of us looks him up on YouTube I don’t see this going anywhere

I can’t find anything that says it is a life support machine and just an unspecified machine mind you
Pretty sure that the machine we find Giygas in is just a capsule where he is safe from harm and not a life support machine.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I finished Banjo-Kazooie (3/5 stars). I see how Gruntilda could work in part. She would be a heavy-weight with lack-luster melee attacks and slow movement. However, her broomstick could hover above the stage, and she could jump on it, giving her incredible, prolonged, aerial movement options, I have a few other suggestions later, that I think could be interesting.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I finished Banjo-Kazooie (3/5 stars). I see how Gruntilda could work in part. She would be a heavy-weight with lack-luster melee attacks and slow movement. However, her broomstick could hover above the stage, and she could jump on it, giving her incredible, prolonged, aerial movement options, I have a few other suggestions later, that I think could be interesting.

: I'm glad you liked it, I really do! Now go play Tooie as I think it's better than Kazooie!

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
She'd be quite unique, being our only female super heavy (at least, I hope they make her that heavy) and one of few mages in the game!

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
She'd be quite unique, being our only female super heavy (at least, I hope they make her that heavy) and one of few mages in the game!
I am even more intrigued with what projectiles she would bring. For her neutral special, sho could throw a fireball in an arc toward the location of the nearest opponent, and as in Banjo-Kazooie, the trajectory is affected by the opponent's movement, with it stopping in front of the opponent in their direction of travel. She could also have a projectile that cannot be evaded (though perhaps shielded), but this would require some warm up for balance. I am still working out how the broomstick factors into her aerial movement.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
Whether she had a float, or at least just a lot of distance, a broomstick/magic-based recovery could put Gruntilda on par with Dedede for having the best recovery of any super heavyweight.
Absolutely. I could even see a potential Side Special where she uses Broomstick to run over someone as another recovery option when she's beside the stage.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
I have now finished both of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, and I can conclude that her final smash could revolve around the 'Hag 1' machine. Her taunts could involve a selection of randomly occuring, rhyming monologue boxes that are directed at the opponent. I imagine that her shielding capabilities would be extraordinary as well, so in summary, my idea from my imagination and inspiration from others' posts...

• High launch resistance
  • Low hit stun (if that is an applicable attribute nowadays)
  • Good horizontal recovery
  • Projectiles that are difficult to avoid without dodging
  • Broomstick gives her highly controllable movement in the air, as well as extended air time.
  • Unusually strong shield.
  • Altogether excels in maintaining pressure and camping at long range

• Without her broomstick, she gains little height or horizontal distance for travel or recovery
  • Very slow movement typical for her weight class... but extremely so without her broomstick
  • Slow and short ranged
  • Awful disadvantage state. Relieving pressure is one of her greatest weaknesses in the broad view
  • Must jump onto her broomstick to reap its benefits
  • Overall, if she cannot keep the opponent struggling to avoid her special moves, she easily finds herself in a situation where defending herself is highly inefficient.

She is an indirectly aggressive character who must suppress her opponents at a distance, and not give them a moment to think.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
I have now finished both of Banjo-Kazooie and Banjo-Tooie, and I can conclude that her final smash could revolve around the 'Hag 1' machine. Her taunts could involve a selection of randomly occuring, rhyming monologue boxes that are directed at the opponent. I imagine that her shielding capabilities would be extraordinary as well, so in summary, my idea from my imagination and inspiration from others' posts...

• High launch resistance
  • Low hit stun (if that is an applicable attribute nowadays)
  • Good horizontal recovery
  • Projectiles that are difficult to avoid without dodging
  • Broomstick gives her highly controllable movement in the air, as well as extended air time.
  • Unusually strong shield.
  • Altogether excels in maintaining pressure and camping at long range

• Without her broomstick, she gains little height or horizontal distance for travel or recovery
  • Very slow movement typical for her weight class... but extremely so without her broomstick
  • Slow and short ranged
  • Awful disadvantage state. Relieving pressure is one of her greatest weaknesses in the broad view
  • Must jump onto her broomstick to reap its benefits
  • Overall, if she cannot keep the opponent struggling to avoid her special moves, she easily finds herself in a situation where defending herself is highly inefficient.

She is an indirectly aggressive character who must suppress her opponents at a distance, and not give them a moment to think.
: Lovely conspect ideas for my moveset! I really like how it's implemented into execution! So you played Banjo-Tooie?! How do you compare it to Banjo-Kazooie?!

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
: Lovely conspect ideas for my moveset! I really like how it's implemented into execution! So you played Banjo-Tooie?! How do you compare it to Banjo-Kazooie?!
That is a very tough decision. Banjo-Tooie improved upon several aspects of the first game-- namely, it is better that you do not lose all of your progress from defeat, that warp pads exist, and that the gameplay has more depth. However, the worse parts are much worse than in the first game-- namely, the thematic objections I had in the first game were intensified in the second, the humor in the second game was about as vulgar as the first, and I find that it is less entertaining to be forced to backtrack when lacking certain tools and techniques from future levels.

Ultimately, I think Banjo-Tooie is slightly better, but not as much as I thought it would be. It was still enjoyable though.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
That is a very tough decision. Banjo-Tooie improved upon several aspects of the first game-- namely, it is better that you do not lose all of your progress from defeat, that warp pads exist, and that the gameplay has more depth. However, the worse parts are much worse than in the first game-- namely, the thematic objections I had in the first game were intensified in the second, the humor in the second game was about as vulgar as the first, and I find that it is less entertaining to be forced to backtrack when lacking certain tools and techniques from future levels.

Ultimately, I think Banjo-Tooie is slightly better, but not as much as I thought it would be. It was still enjoyable though.
Same here. I think Banjo-Tooie is the better game as well by having bosses and putting out more of a challenge to get the Jiggies as in the first game, more Jiggies was just there to openly get like a easter egg while in Tooie you had to actually get around doing something a little more challenging to get your prize. Plus some of the levels like Witchy World, Hailfire Peaks and Jolly Roger's Lagoon are some of my favorite Banjo-Kazooie levels ever.

Last edited:

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Same here. I think Banjo-Tooie is the better game as well by having bosses and putting out more of a challenge to get the Jiggies as in the first game, more Jiggies was just there to openly get like a easter egg while in Tooie you to actually get around doing something a little more challenging to get your prize. Plus some of the levels like Witchy World, Hailfire Peaks and Jolly Roger's Lagoon are some of my favorite Banjo-Kazooie levels ever.
My favorite levels between the two games were, in terms of design an soundtrack, Hailfire Peak, Glitter Gulch Mine, and Mumbo's Mountain. Though not necessarily in that order. I thought I would like Grunty Industries and Cloud Cuckooland, but they were disappointing.

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
My favorite levels between the two games were, in terms of design an soundtrack, Hailfire Peak, Glitter Gulch Mine, and Mumbo's Mountain. Though not necessarily in that order. I thought I would like Grunty Industries and Cloud Cuckooland, but they were disappointing.
Grunty Industries and Cloud Cuckooland were the most confusing levels in Tooie as well as the worst. And it doesn't help much either they're 2 of the last 3 levels even with amazing level like Hailfire Peaks in between them.

Doc Monocle

Smash Ace
Grunty Industries and Cloud Cuckooland were the most confusing levels in Tooie as well as the worst. And it doesn't help much either they're 2 of the last 3 levels even with amazing level like Hailfire Peaks in between them.
'Confusing' is the 'buzzword.' I am sure there are many who like the labyrinth aspect, but that would certainly not include me!...

Before I forget, I shall use this recently fashionable phrase:

GRUNTY FOR SMASH!

RetrogamerMax

Smash Legend
NNID
RetrogamerMax2
well you don’t play it as many times as we did without learning nearly all the tricks
I know all the tricks it's just Grunty Industries was a maze and it's a little confusing to remember where everything is everytime I play through it in any of my playthroughs of Tooie.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
I know all the tricks it's just Grunty Industries was a maze and it's a little confusing to remember where everything is everytime I play through it in any of my playthroughs of Tooie.
you don’t need to remember where everything is you just keep at it

Top Bottom