• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Vigor High School Girl - Sakura Kasugano for SSBU!

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483

The Burning Vigor High School Girl - Sakura Kasugano for SSBU-Support Thread

Overview

An energetic, always youthful fan favorite from Street Fighter-series, Sakura Kasugano used to be a typical Japanese high school girl until she saw the first World Warrior Tournament and was introduced to Ryu, who's unyielding martial arts inspirited her to become as strong.

Since then she went straight to pick up street fighting, eventually succeeding to imitate Ryu's fighting style to a marginal degree, and would then set on many ambitious journeys to find the legendary World Warrior in order to become his disciple.

With it, she's made regular appearances in SF-series along with being in plenty of crossover titles, like SNK VS Capcom, Marvel VS Capcom or Namco x Capcom to name a few. Along with this she's been an classic fan-favorite through her high schoolgirl archetype, inspiring similar characters in other fighting games such as Tekken's Xiaoyu.

Echo Potential (Complicated?)

With the semi-introduction of Echo Fighters allowing for plenty of fan-favorites to join the roster without having to be massive development workload for the programmers, many have speculated Ryu to be joined by Ken Masters, or even Akuma as his Echo Fighters. This is simple as both are termed as "Shoto-Clones" due using same fighting style as Ryu, down to special moves and super moves - but use their own spins on them on the latter.

While she's also a Shoto-Clone, Sakura's kit shows clear lack of mastering of these techniques within them and ends up improvising to compensate, resulting her not being able to do things like shoot her fireballs through the area's length - yet can now charge them. She also can't hover through air when doing hurricane kicks, but jumping more than makes up to create some extra distance.

These end up creating her more unorthodox takes on Ansatsuken-martial arts accomplished by Ryu or others, which could allow Sakura to be explored as a semiclone-ish take as Ryu's Echo compared to more straight-forward Ken or heavy-hitting Akuma (though he could be argued to be semiclone as well, just not as elaborately)

Of course, being an Echo Fighter through using Ryu's model as a base, doesn't look to be feasible for her due vastly different body type, especially when compared to actual chips of Ryu's likeness that are Ken Masters and Akuma. This might leave it open if Echoes could be modified on by heavily changing body build to create new kinds, though it could open floodgates of it's own if not kept in certain new boundaries.

Why her over Ken/Akuma?

Much like Richter in Castlevania-series, Sakura's endured amazing following and popularity throughout Street Fighter's history with her cheerful yet tenacious character, easily seen in various animations from her 2D-era self and netting no.1 place from Capcom's most recent character popularity poll - so not only she's a strong candidate for Echo-status due having her immense popularity, she'd be easily winning over new fans from Smash's side!

Furthermore, she would also be arguably more fresher, charming addition as Ryu's Echo compared to other Shotoclones, whether her nuances and differences from Ryu are applicated, and blending better together to more light-hearted and wacky cast of fighters in lieu of human ones than more gruffly built Ryu did.
Speaking of Ryu, it'd amazing honor for Sakura to fight alongside him against legends from Nintendo and beyond after already taking on ones from SNK's or even Marvel's ensemble of heroes and villains.

Probably some techniques might have to be changed bit for her in case the devs want to keep her in-character, so probably no Ryu's Joudan Sokutogeri as F-Smash - and the dev tema could be capable of recreating her Sakura Otoshi ("Drop")-technique from Street Fighter Alpha 2 Gold/SFIV by borrowing assets from Mii Brawler's Headache Maker:

In general, Sakura would fit amazingly well on the bill of what Echo Fighters are at core: an easy-to-program and implemented characters, who's already won over many before by their personality alone, and now can bring it along with perhaps few unique characteristics of their own to Smash.

Sakura's List of Supporters

~ Valkyrie ~

Guybrush20X6

slambros

dezeray112

Gemini-Gene

P.Kat

Crap-Zapper

toonito

Ridrool64

smashkirby

Thatkidwiththeafro
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

"Did I impress you? I really hope I did!"

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Sakura is my favorite of the many Ryu clones over the years.

She's just so sunny. So much so that out of canon she got Akuma level powers from just getting a sunburn ^_^

And her theme is amazing!

Not sure what her chances are but I support.

slambros

Smash Ace
I supporr her. I am a huge Street Fighter fan, and having Sakura implemented as an Echo fighter would be a dream come true. I'm sure they could work around the model situation.

:131:

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
Glad to see there's eager interest on her! Guess had to spread this topic around a bit.

I am a huge Street Fighter fan, and having Sakura implemented as an Echo fighter would be a dream come true. I'm sure they could work around the model situation.
I sure hope so too - mostly depends on how lenient they are on the how Echoes could be done, that is. In whole, I dearly hope too as it's also one of mt personal wishes lately since Richter's inclusion.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I support it. Personally, Sakura tops over Ken just by a bit, when it comes to my choice of an Ryu echo. So count me in.

Crap-Zapper

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3540-1100-9470
I'd prefer her over Ken Masters by a mile.
Akuma's cool tho, but Sakura is awesome enough for me.

I'd be cool with that.

toonito

Smash Ace
even though i support Ken as Ryu's echo more I'm a fan of SF so the more the merrier

supports

Ridrool64

Smash Lord
I like Sakura better as a Ryu echo because she would be more creative. Honestly, Ken is too perfectly fitting, in that his inclusion, while significant and great for his fans, is kinda... boring and predictable. With Chrom proving that Echo Fighters aren't 1-to-1 variations of the original, I'd be down for her especially.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
I support Sakura for Smash!

Like Ridrool64 Ridrool64 has said, Ken wouldn't be a bad choice as Ryu's clone in Smash by any means (and I'd certainly be hyped for his inclusion), but he feels almost TOO easy to select as his clone. Sakura, on the other hand, would feel a bit more... "creative" as a possible choice, now wouldn't she?

Heck, if it wasn't for the fact that Ryu is Street Fighter's mascot and go-to character for crossovers, I'd go as far as to say that Sakura should have been the first Street Fighter rep to enter Smash! I feel like she exudes that goofy, yet bad*** archetype that Smash is famous for, and she does it WAY better than Ryu himself.

Not hating on Ryu or anything, but who do you see next to characters like Mario, Kirby, Pikachu, Donkey Kong, and the like sooner? Sakura or Ryu?

Thatkidwiththeafro

The Pink Panther's Bro!
NNID
Mr.F-ZeroBias
I support this, I support this, I support this.

What are you waiting for?

Place me on the support list already!?!

Seriously, I would love her in Smash.

~ Valkyrie ~

Holy Maiden Warrior
Premium
NNID
IndyGo98
3DS FC
2793-0906-0731
Switch FC
SW-7670-7999-3483
I support this, I support this, I support this.

What are you waiting for?

Place me on the support list already!?!

Seriously, I would love her in Smash.
Hahhahhah, no need to rush it.

Anyway, if to bring in something relevant for starters...

I had just stumbled on somewhat recent SF-character popularity poll by in Capcom.com. And fittingly enough, Sakura was voted no.1!!!

This could definitely bode well for her being considered whenever Ryu-Echoes were, or would be explored at some point of Ultimate's development - as I said before, her popularity and appeal is still strong as ever, and that's definitely a big plus for being considered for a possible Echo-status.

Last edited:

P.Kat

Smash Champion
I had just stumbled on somewhat recent SF-character popularity poll by in Capcom.com. And fittingly enough, Sakura was voted no.1!!!

This could definitely bode well for her being considered whenever Ryu-Echoes were, or would be considered at some point of Ultimate's development - as I said before, her popularity and appeal is still strong as ever, and that's definitely a big plus for being considered for a possible Echo-status.
Whoa! I was expecting her to be somewhere close to the very top, just under Chun-Li. But First? That's great! I hope that as Ryu's echo or Semi-echo, she lacks the whole input thing like Ryu, making her easier to use, but in turn her specials are stronger than Ryu's specials without his inputs, but as a downside, weaker than Ryu's special with his inputs. Either way I'm getting hopeful for Sakura chances to join Smash.

CboyC95

Smash Apprentice
Now that spirits are de-confirmed, does anyone else think she has a chance? Maybe as another echo for Ryu?

toonito

Smash Ace
Now that spirits are de-confirmed, does anyone else think she has a chance? Maybe as another echo for Ryu?
I don't see her or another SF character getting in Ultimate.

I might be wrong but I think echoes require the same body type as the original. If that's true she wouldn't qualify as an echo. Think Isabelle and Villager.

Keeping body types in mind other potential echoes for Ryu:

Akuma (although I think he should be a semiclone)
Dan
Sean
Evil Ryu or Kage (I think these should be echoes of Akuma instead of Ryu)

for Ken:
Violent Ken

Last edited:
Top Bottom