• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

The Burning Digimon Dinosaur - Agumon for Smash - Digimon Survive 2020

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Graizen Graizen has been asking for me to drop in on my opinion so I figured I would.

I have very little knowledge of digimon. If it matters the most I know is from Death battle, and the fact that digimon tamers was good and the digimon movie was not great. As such I am far from the most informed on the character.

Realistically Agumon is the digimon of choice. I feel his main competitor for a second Nanco is Heihatchi but he could work. My only concern is you would need to incorporate digivolving into his moveset, and that is tricky. Perhaps he is a charge character that digivolves into Greymon and warpdigivolves into WarGreymon and uses terra force as a final smash.

It could happen, but I feel you would need to make Greymon a clone of Agumon but much stronger for it to be feasible moveset wise.

Not likely in my eyes, but cool. A solid 20% Chance from me when we do him on RTC someday.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Graizen Graizen has been asking for me to drop in on my opinion so I figured I would.

I have very little knowledge of digimon. If it matters the most I know is from Death battle, and the fact that digimon tamers was good and the digimon movie was not great. As such I am far from the most informed on the character.

Realistically Agumon is the digimon of choice. I feel his main competitor for a second Nanco is Heihatchi but he could work. My only concern is you would need to incorporate digivolving into his moveset, and that is tricky. Perhaps he is a charge character that digivolves into Greymon and warpdigivolves into WarGreymon and uses terra force as a final smash.

It could happen, but I feel you would need to make Greymon a clone of Agumon but much stronger for it to be feasible moveset wise.

Not likely in my eyes, but cool. A solid 20% Chance from me when we do him on RTC someday.
The Digimon movies are all very good, but when they came to Americas they cut parts of the first three movies and created a horrible thing. So to see the movies correctly you will need to see the originals.

Digimon started out as a Virtual Pet, a type of Video Game not yet represented in Smash Bros. Most people think it started with Anime, but it's a big lie.

StormC

Smash Hero
I was also summoned to give my opinion. Neat!

I'm a huge Digimon fan, I've watched practically every series and I grew up on Adventure. My issue with Agumon and Digimon in general is it would be hard to translate what makes the series appealing to Smash, the multiple transformations. Agumon by himself wouldn't be the most interesting fighter, but it wouldn't make a ton of sense to add, say, WarGreymon instead.

Digimon is also a pretty niche franchise in general. I don't think it's on Sakurai's radar very much, if at all. Anything's possible, though. I would have similarly written Bayonetta off a couple of years ago.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I was also summoned to give my opinion. Neat!

I'm a huge Digimon fan, I've watched practically every series and I grew up on Adventure. My issue with Agumon and Digimon in general is it would be hard to translate what makes the series appealing to Smash, the multiple transformations. Agumon by himself wouldn't be the most interesting fighter, but it wouldn't make a ton of sense to add, say, WarGreymon instead.

Digimon is also a pretty niche franchise in general. I don't think it's on Sakurai's radar very much, if at all. Anything's possible, though. I would have similarly written Bayonetta off a couple of years ago.
Niche for us, but in Japan theres a machine with Digimons and Digimon Cards in every place you go.
And the Digimon Virtual Pets are selling again! We have Digimon Adventure Tri (Movies) , Digimon Universe (Anime) and Digimon Story Games on PS4!

I think we can say Digimon is in all places, easy to see, and made by Namco Bandai who are together with Nintendo even for Pokken and Smash 4!

SethTheMage

Smash Ace
NNID
SethTheMage
Was never really into Digimon, but had a few friends who were. Agumon seems like the most recognizable rep; I remember him getting compared to Charmander all the time back in the late 90's. Out of all of the possible Digimon, I think he's one of my favorites, but that's not saying a lot, as I never got into the franchise. I'd try him out if he got past all of the barriers, but he's not a character I'm too excited about. Good luck in your endeavors, though!

(Sorry if my opinion sounds negative; I was invited to post my opinion in this thread).

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Hello there. Like a lot of people, I was asked by Graizen Graizen to drop my opinion on Agumon.

I'm something that used to watch Digimon a lot when I was a child alongside Pokémon so he already has some fondness in my heart. I'd personally would be all for an Agumon vs. Pikachu battle myself.

Agumon for SSB Switch!

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Wow, here I thought Goku would be a ridiculous choice for Smash a few years ago but now that Goku's in DBFZ, I guess everyone's gotta find a new tv character to hype up. Lol

I don't think there's ANY chance of a Digimon character showing up in a Smash game, there isn't even a modern Digimon game out

Graizen

Smash Champion
Wow, here I thought Goku would be a ridiculous choice for Smash a few years ago but now that Goku's in DBFZ, I guess everyone's gotta find a new tv character to hype up. Lol

I don't think there's ANY chance of a Digimon character showing up in a Smash game, there isn't even a modern Digimon game out
Is it serious, my friend?

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Is it serious, my friend?
Idunno, I probably should've researched before I posted.

So apparently there's some *extremely* obscure Digimon MMOs that came out for Digimon fairly recently.. I guess other characters have been chosen with less

Graizen

Smash Champion
Idunno, I probably should've researched before I posted.

So apparently there's some *extremely* obscure Digimon MMOs that came out for Digimon fairly recently.. I guess other characters have been chosen with less
There are 3 Digimon games for Playstation 4, one of them released this year.
And Digimon Started as a Game.
And Digimon has more than 10 games on Nintendo consoles.
Please read this topic.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
There are 3 Digimon games for Playstation 4, one of them released this year.
And Digimon Started as a Game.
And Digimon has more than 10 games on Nintendo consoles.
Please read this topic.
Yeah, after reading the front page, I like the research. I'll give Agumon a vote.

Graizen

Smash Champion
One of the great reasons Agumon is very important for Smash Bros
Make an 8 Player Smash That Way!

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Since you guys were recently talking about how Agumon's the only Digimon with any chance, I feel I should throw my hat in the ring with my thoughts on contenders:

Agumon:
-Is the protagonist character's partner for two anime seasons.
-Is a staple of the games.
-Featured in the original V-Pets.
-Was the star of the most popular V-Pet advert which, as I understand it, became the basis for the first Digimon Movie.
-Formed half of a royal knight, who was also season 6's most significant legendary digimon SD card.
-Was popular enough to spawn numerous variations.
-Forms half of the franchise's logo.
-Made his TV debute in the first, most recognised season.

Guilmon:
-Is the protagonist's character for one anime season.
-Was popular enough to spawn black and gold variations.
-Was one of the royal knights in his final form.
-Made his TV debute in the third and possibly most popular season.
-Represents the card game in a way that Agumon does not.

Patamon:
-Has never been a protagonist's partner but appeared as part of the main group in seasons 1, 2 and 4.
-Is one of the three iconic, holy digimon.
-Formed not one but two of season 6's legendary digimon SD cards.
-Was popular enough to spawn a viral variation, despite a devil counterpart to him already existing.
-Made his TV debute in the first, most recognised season.

Personally, I think all three of the above have a chance, though none quite as much as Agumon does.

Last edited:

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
Just thought I'd throw this out there.
but another potential choice for a digimon to be in Smash Bros could potentially be
Tyranomon

-Believe it or not. Tyranomon is actually the first Digimon ever designed.
-He was also featured on the packaging of the original vPets in both the west and in japan.
-He can even be considered the mascot of the vPets, or possibly even the whole franchise.
-They even use a picture of him in the promotion for the special 20th anniversary vPets. and used him in their logo

If they were to include him I'd be pretty happy, since I have a special place in my heart for him since playing Digimon World as a kid.

that said. I don't really see Tyranomon happening. if any Digimon is getting in, it's Agumon.

Sorry Tyranomon

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Just thought I'd throw this out there.
but another potential choice for a digimon to be in Smash Bros could potentially be
Tyranomon
If we take into consideration how Tyranomon was the first Digimon to be developed, then we have to take into account that Rhydon was the first Pokémon. But we have Pikachu and not Rhydon in the game.

You have to remember that Tyranomon was created to be the evolution of Agumon! And that really happened in Virtual Pets! But later they created Greymon because they thought that Tyranomon had not become so attractive to people. But still they kept Tyranomon as a real Digimon and that may be a possible evolution of Agumon, but even so Greymon became the actual evolution of Agumon.

Since you guys were recently talking about how Agumon's the only Digimon with any chance, I feel I should throw my hat in the ring with my thoughts on contenders:

Agumon:

Guilmon:

Patamon:
There are people who literally want Digimon protagonists of other seasons of Anime as representatives in Smash Bros. The vast majority of them do this by their own preference.

Everyone forgets that Pikachu has never been the favorite Pokémon of most people, but he is in Smash Bros for representing the franchise in general. And this is exactly the same case for Agumon.

Sailor Waddle Dee

Smash Journeyman
If we take into consideration how Tyranomon was the first Digimon to be developed, then we have to take into account that Rhydon was the first Pokémon. But we have Pikachu and not Rhydon in the game.

You have to remember that Tyranomon was created to be the evolution of Agumon! And that really happened in Virtual Pets! But later they created Greymon because they thought that Tyranomon had not become so attractive to people. But still they kept Tyranomon as a real Digimon and that may be a possible evolution of Agumon, but even so Greymon became the actual evolution of Agumon.
Yes, that is true. however unlike Rhydon, Tyranomon actually got used as a mascot. over time focus just shifted to Agumon
but that doesn't diminish the fact Tyanomon WAS the mascot before him.

Bur yeah, I don't think for a second that anyone but Agumon would get in from digimon. and if he were to digivolve. it would only be into his established line from the anime.

Graizen

Smash Champion
I do not know if you know, but there's a guy from China who dumps information about Pokemon games, which are apparently always correct.
One information he leaked last year about Pokémon on the Nintendo Switch was this:

Interesting as he mentions it's going to look like the battles of Digimon World!

In another rumor, they recently used the image of a Digimon to dump Pokémon information as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUaTDhvw0uU

The used Digimon is called Rebootmon, and they used their image to represent that the game would be a Reboot.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Here a Question for you guys:

What Evolutions do you want Agumon to have in the game?
The normal ones from the Anime?
Original Ones like Tyranomon and MetalGreymon Vírus?
Just WarGreymon?

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
90% sure VictoryGreymon cannonically comes from WarGreymon, not Metal. Also BlackWarGreymon is not named correctly, Black Agumon has a viral in training option and, if we're including Savers, we should be including the whole line.
They are, technically, offshoots of an actual Agumon evolution, since it's the remains of Ancient Greymon that allows the half-human fire digimon to exist.
Oh and there's also arguably a burst mode for Agumon himself.

Anyway, Agumon -> Greymon -> MetalGreymon -> WarGreymon is pretty much a given in my mind, unless we do just have the rookie with a warp digivolution as his final smash. Omnimon would be kinda cool but isn't a straight Agumon evolution so wouldn't make much sense.

For alts, I could see:

Black Agumon -> BlackGreymon -> MetalGreymon (Virus) -> BlackWarGreymon
Agumon X -> Greymon X -> MetalGreymon X -> WarGreymon X
Gaosmon -> Greymon (Grey) -> SiegGremon -> OmniShoutmon

And perhaps Omnimon could make an appearance as one of the pokeball-esque SD cards I mentioned earlier, slicing through space to create a temporary portal.

Graizen

Smash Champion
90% sure VictoryGreymon cannonically comes from WarGreymon, not Metal. Also BlackWarGreymon is not named correctly, Black Agumon has a viral in training option and, if we're including Savers, we should be including the whole line.
They are, technically, offshoots of an actual Agumon evolution, since it's the remains of Ancient Greymon that allows the half-human fire digimon to exist.
Oh and there's also arguably a burst mode for Agumon himself.

Anyway, Agumon -> Greymon -> MetalGreymon -> WarGreymon is pretty much a given in my mind, unless we do just have the rookie with a warp digivolution as his final smash. Omnimon would be kinda cool but isn't a straight Agumon evolution so wouldn't make much sense.

For alts, I could see:

Black Agumon -> BlackGreymon -> MetalGreymon (Virus) -> BlackWarGreymon
Agumon X -> Greymon X -> MetalGreymon X -> WarGreymon X
Gaosmon -> Greymon (Grey) -> SiegGremon -> OmniShoutmon

And perhaps Omnimon could make an appearance as one of the pokeball-esque SD cards I mentioned earlier, slicing through space to create a temporary portal.
What you think about Assist Trophies?
Main Digimon from other seasons and Games?

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Here a Question for you guys:

What Evolutions do you want Agumon to have in the game?
The normal ones from the Anime?
Original Ones like Tyranomon and MetalGreymon Vírus?
Just WarGreymon?

*insert image here*
A warp digivolve into Wargreymon, recreating this.
0:00 to 0:05 and then skip to 0:14 and play through the rest. Something like that.

Last edited:

ryuu seika

Smash Master
What you think about Assist Trophies?
Main Digimon from other seasons and Games?
Not necessarily main ones but important ones with recognisable attacks.
Omnimon And Leomon are the first two that come to mind.

Also, what if VictoryGreymon was an alternate final smash that occurred if Agumon was weilding a beam sword, fire bar or baseball bat at the time of transformation?

Last edited:

Graizen

Smash Champion
Not necessarily main ones but important ones with recognisable attacks.
Omnimon And Leomon are the first two that come to mind.

Also, what if VictoryGreymon was an alternate final smash that occurred if Agumon was weilding a beam sword, fire bar or baseball bat at the time of transformation?
I believe the perfect Digimon for an Assist Trophy would be Gabumon!

Graizen

Smash Champion
The more i listen to this Music , the more it looks like a Smash Bros Victory theme

ErenJager

Smash Champion
I'm working on a move set.
It's fairly elaborate so I may take a few days to think it over.
Mechanics/ Gimmicks will be inspired by Vpets and Digimon World games.

Will post when complete..

Graizen

Smash Champion
I'm working on a move set.
It's fairly elaborate so I may take a few days to think it over.
Mechanics/ Gimmicks will be inspired by Vpets and Digimon World games.

Will post when complete..
Thats AWESOME Eren!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I found this on the internet, what you guys think:

Mogu

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
1728-6760-6013
Thats AWESOME Eren!

-----------------------------------------------------------

I found this on the internet, what you guys think:

From top left to bottom right, 1 to 10, I'd say the following would be great.

1, 2, 3, 7, 4, 5, 8 and 9 in that order.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
It's baffling that PokemonxDigimon hasn't happened in any form yet, be it in an RPG or an anime special. That the very company who owns Digimon creates not one but two games featuring pokemon & they don't think to put in 1 of their own is even more perplexing. By all rights Agumon should be appearing in Pokken than in SSB, but to appear in neither is missing a huge opportunity.

Graizen

Smash Champion
It's baffling that PokemonxDigimon hasn't happened in any form yet, be it in an RPG or an anime special. That the very company who owns Digimon creates not one but two games featuring pokemon & they don't think to put in 1 of their own is even more perplexing. By all rights Agumon should be appearing in Pokken than in SSB, but to appear in neither is missing a huge opportunity.
And would you believe me if I told you that there are people who can not even imagine that these possibilities exist?
Some people think we're idiots because we're trying to put Agumon in Smash.

MAtgSy

Smash Ace
And would you believe me if I told you that there are people who can not even imagine that these possibilities exist?
Some people think we're idiots because we're trying to put Agumon in Smash.
Some people insist on acting like Digimon is less of a big deal than it is. The 3 big flame wars of 90s internet gaming forums were Mario vs. Sonic, Link/OoT vs. Cloud/FF7 & Poke vs. Digi and believe me the last one was the loudest & most passionate debate. Smash Brothers delivered on the other 2 rivalries already, so why not the 3rd? Between the PS4 games, Adventure Tri, & Appmon the franchise is the more relevant now than it's been in years.

PsychoJosh

Banned via Administration
I don't know why you invited me to this thread. Agumon is not in my top hundred million characters for Smash.

Graizen

Smash Champion
Some people insist on acting like Digimon is less of a big deal than it is. The 3 big flame wars of 90s internet gaming forums were Mario vs. Sonic, Link/OoT vs. Cloud/FF7 & Poke vs. Digi and believe me the last one was the loudest & most passionate debate. Smash Brothers delivered on the other 2 rivalries already, so why not the 3rd? Between the PS4 games, Adventure Tri, & Appmon the franchise is the more relevant now than it's been in years.
And that's another important point Mat! There are a lot of people who think that the rivalry between these franchises did not influence anything in the entrance of these characters in Smash Bros!
Some people think it's a joke! Many do not even consider this something existing!
Trying to explain that the rivalry between Digimon and Pokémon is an extremely strong point for Agumon to enter Smash, sometimes generates nonsensical discussions because some people refuse to accept it.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
And that's another important point Mat! There are a lot of people who think that the rivalry between these franchises did not influence anything in the entrance of these characters in Smash Bros!
Some people think it's a joke! Many do not even consider this something existing!
Trying to explain that the rivalry between Digimon and Pokémon is an extremely strong point for Agumon to enter Smash, sometimes generates nonsensical discussions because some people refuse to accept it.
the two franchises barely acknowledge each other i dont think theyre rivals

Graizen

Smash Champion
the two franchises barely acknowledge each other i dont think theyre rivals
Just because they do not keep talking about each other does not mean they do not recognize each other.

-----------------------------------------

I've seen some videos on YouTube channels people talking about Bandai Namco working on Pokémon plush for the middle of 2018.
If they work with Pokémon and ignore Digimon again, I'll be very angry.

Top Bottom